Worthington Industries

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Lot of time in. Not enough pay increase or advancements

If your looking for a non-union job( why)this for you. While I worked there(Porter) we tried to get the union in and Worthington successfully ‘busted’ it. The lower pay and little advancement will continue as long as they keep the unions out. I was unhappy working there because I was just a number. Employees were pent against one another through peer reviews. Totally unfair. Someone else trying to get ahead of you or holding a grudge give you bad peer reviews keeping you from the maximum meager raise. Lots of people were maxed out on there pay scales for years. Not a bright future

Pros

Work under your supervision mostly

Cons

Poor compensation, very slow progression of raises.(sqeeze)

Great people

Good place to work for motivated people. Employees are able to offer ideas and suggestions to improve their jobs. Safety is the #1 priority. Lots of great people there.

Pros

Benefits, Profit Sharing, Golden Rule, non-union

Cons

Long hours sometimes

Official response from Worthington Industries

March 11, 2021
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed working for Worthington. We appreciate your hard work and are happy to hear you were able to offer improvements to help make your job better!

how i felt working there

management Is terrible, the older employees get away with working less , taking longer breaks. too much chatter about rumors. not enough togetherness or team work. cant trust management to actually look out for you. they aren't honest about everything far their needs for employment which is why they have a turn over rate. management operates without including the council which is a joke. nobody is actually clear on how to advance and be successful, it's a lot of paper work and not enough action. it's most definitely not a place for anyone black. its very few blacks that work there. in my opinion that place needs better leadership

The hardest part of my job was the stress and the lack of advancements. The easiest part of my job was opperating the over head crane. I enjoyed working here.

Pros

Profit sharing

Cons

Lack of advancement, can not leave for lunch break

Very Stressful place to Work

Had to band steel coils so that they would not come undone. They were a very fast paced plant slitting steel coils down. Some of the steel was very hard to bend, due to the thickness of the steel. Had to use an overhead crane to move some of the steel coils around and to band them.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

This was once a great company.

This was once one of the best companies in the country to work for until the founder retired and handed the keys to his son. Everything went down hill from that point. People started leaving in massive amounts and the company thought this was a great thing because they could hire people for less money. They did not understand that the people leaving had the knowledge to keep them profitable. It quickly turned into a company that is looking for ways to save money instead of how to make it.. While there is nothing wrong with saving money the idea is to MAKE it.

Cons

Poor employee relations, low pay, reducing benifits, "don't care" attitude

awesome

the logistics female manager is awesome. I think her name is kim. she is so nice. she's the reason I got the job offer. anything I needed she was there to assist.

A great place to start in the steel industry

The company took time to train new employees. An employee could move up in the company with a little effort.

Pros

Proffit sharing

Cons

Low hourly rate

Productive workplace with a indoor fitness area

Worthington Steel is a nice place to work. Management is always willing to help as were my coworkers. Here team work is a big part of the job. More than anything, here I leaned to work as safe as possible, due to the danger level.

Pros

great wellness program

Cons

very dirty and dangerous place.

Clean, safe working environment. Lots of great people who shared their knowledge with me.

Worthington Industries is as safe a place as you will find in the steel industry. They provided me with excellent growth and knowledge during my career there. The whole company was based in teamwork and cooperation, which allowed me to have great success.

Pros

cash profit sharing, health care, 401k

Cons

no breaks, mandatory overtime on short or no notice.

Jobs at Worthington Industries