WPS Health Insurance Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Claims analyst. Lpn (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 19, 2018
Terrible mgmt and co-workers. Worked there for 3 yrs and hated every minute of it. Coworkers were always backstabbing, lying and trying to get others in trouble and mgmt did nothing. The manager would sit in her office with her favorite employees and talk and laugh for hrs
Pros
Good health ins
Decent
RN Utilization Review (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 13, 2018
Worked as an RN case manager. The job was ok, management began lay-off's right after I was hired and did some restructuring that resulted in staff lay-off's in my department. The job was decent.
Wisconsin Physicians Service Health Insurance
Sr. Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 1, 2018
While at Wisconsin Physicians Service, I was a Sr. Systems Programmer working with CICS but primarily for WebSphere on zOS. I was responsible for all aspects of WebShere while I was at WPS.
Temporary Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 21, 2018
In sales & made warm called to sell insurance. Learned much about different types of insurance. Needed to be licensed and they were very incouraging in getting a license. As a Tempory employee there were not benefits. The people were very helpful but there was compitition to get your number of sales.
Pros
Great Seasonal job & group of people
Cons
Hard to get in as a regular employee
This company bit off way more than they can chew...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 9, 2018
I did not enjoy working here. In the contract that I worked, there is way too much mandatory overtime. You can work as many hours as you want, but you are usually required to do a minimum number of mandatory overtime hours. We are constantly behind because of how much work there is, so beneficiaries and health care providers call and complain constantly about how long things are taking. And then of course a claim gets messed up pretty often so they need to be reprocessed and meanwhile the provider keeps calling every few days wondering where their payment is.

Management seems to be pretty lax. I felt like I could get away with underperforming and my job would have been secure. The only thing they really seemed to care about is that you were there and taking calls. People who sat around me would be so rude to the caller and were never disciplined. If you're a warm body who can answer the phone and pass a really stringent background check they will hire you.

The benefits were severely misrepresented when they made me an offer. They sent me this sheet that says that 1-5 get 'X' days of vacation, but they didn't say what it would be starting out, so the assumption is that is what it starts at.. It turned out to be 1/4 of the number of paid days as the sheet indicated.

So I was working 50 hours a week at a really stressful job and couldn't really take any days off. It's amusing that they wonder why turnover is terrible.

The training program is long and drawn out because they need you to get interim security clearance before you can work independently.
  more... But the training program dwells on unnecessary content and doesn't really prepare you to be on your own. I feel like my training was a waste of 5 weeks of my life, but at least they pay for it! After you get your interim clearance they put you on the phone immediately whether you feel ready or not, and then they put you into corrections. Basically, that means that when you are audited they check you work for accuracy, before you can do things like reprocess claims. But if you keep making mistakes you could be on corrections for a very long time and keep delaying things even further for the beneficiary.

The wages aren't very competitive, but I thought the insurance was decent. I had a couple of coworkers that I liked, which was nice. It's hard to get to know your team because you're each expected to be on the phone for 8-10 hours a day.

Because turnover is pretty bad I feel like if I was willing to keep doing the job for more than a year or so I could have easily gotten a promotion or transition into a different department.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
everything
Company picnic
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 29, 2017
Just and over all great place to work! Wonderful co workers whom I’m still friends with! If I did not have to move I would still be working at WPS! Wish I could go back!
A good place to start your career
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 7, 2017
I learned a lot about insurance working at WPS. They were willing to give me a chance as an entry-level communications person and I'll always be grateful.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Former Employee
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Depere, WINovember 13, 2017
Training was very fragmented and accelerated. Trainers did not agree on what and how to teach, making for a very poor learning environment. Unfriendly environment, Poor working computers. Mgmt did not agree on the working hours or length of assignment.
Cons
Mgment not conistant, Mgmt is more concerned with minor violations instead of positive coaching, micro mgmt
No Room for Growth
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 24, 2017
Good company overall with fair compensation but there is rarely ever any opportunity for growth unless you may want to move to Madison where corporate is located.
now I really injoyed working at WPS because my back ground was in insurance
Representative for Tri-Care Insurance (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 3, 2017
I started working at Kemper Insurance in Liability and Health insurance, working at Kemper Insurance was in lighting experience, this where I learned about claims as well

Want to know more about WPS Health Insurance?

Ask a question
No One likes it there
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 25, 2017
No one wants to work here; it's worse after the merger, but the managers are dumber than employees; the coworkers are rude, and immature, tattling on every sound you make; it's unbearable, and I'd rather be unemployed than work there again.
Great Company to work for
Individual Agency Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Altoona, WISeptember 12, 2017
Great company to work for. Team environment. Learned a lot about myself. Was always learning and being pushed to learn. looked forward to going to work each day. Fast paced, but always people to help you if needed.
Not doing a review
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 11, 2017
This was an ok job. The pay was awesome, but the training was supposed to be 6 weeks which turned into 2 weeks. Due to the lack of training as an employee, I felt like I was set up to fail. They have unattainable metrics, that even seasoned people of over 18 years there were struggling with. Management is a big joke, they get paid to babysit.
Nice place to work for
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 10, 2017
I worked processing claims. My boss and co workers were very supportive. We had department meetings where we discussed anything new, problems and suggestions.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Having to process a certain amount of claims to keep your job.
Exceptional talent, opaque management
QA Auditor II (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 27, 2017
Fantastic place to learn the business of insurance and medical coding, et al, but there is a firm and immutable barrier between upper management and regular employees.
Fast Paced
Supervisor, Work Management (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 11, 2017
Very corporate work environment. Learned a lot about the insurance business. Friendly co workers. Do not like the fact that there is a union. I don't feel there is a need.
Pros
Pleasant co workers
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Credit Balance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 10, 2017
I enjoyed working at WPS the short time I was there but unfortunately my job was eliminated there for I had to find employment somewhere else. I answered the phones, opened and sorted the mail, worked in the Medicare FISS system updating credit balance information.
Pros
Good friends
Cons
Poor management
Busy - constant changes
Provider Enrollment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 27, 2017
A lot of changes within the company. I come from a time where quality is just as important as quality. Manager seem to be overloaded
Overall ok
Supervisor and Member Advocate (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIFebruary 16, 2017
Management could be better, they seem to have clicks and if you aren't in the click you sometimes are oversee for promotions. I also feel they weren't always honest about future plans.
I enjoyed my time there
Client Support Analyst-Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 9, 2016
WPS gave me a start after finishing college without needing too much experience. They helped me with that. I would recommend them to any beginner out of school.