WSSC Employee Reviews

Average Management
Senior Business Process Consultant (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 24, 2018
Not enough focus on projects and overseeing of middle management to ensure effectiveness for the business. More focus required on ensuring projects are well managed by resources with on the job experience.
Great Company
Human Resource Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 11, 2018
They will do everything they can to accommodate you and help you stay at the job. Meters readers and depot jobs have it very tough due to the outside nature of work.
WSSC is great
Construction Inspector I (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDJuly 6, 2018
I enjoy working at WSSC, I'd recommend it. If you have a chance to get hired, I'd jump at it. I don't want to write anymore about WSSC I'm looking for a new job.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Hard to move up
Good atmosphere
Lab Technician, Contractor (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 26, 2018
The people here are good to work with and are willing to help when needed. I learned to use a new type of inventory system and about EPA standards. Management does not micro manage the employees. The hardest part of the job was getting use to the way the lab was run.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Na
Great place to grow
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MD and Anacostia. Hyattsville MDMay 29, 2018
Excellent retirement package. Flexible work schedule. Personalable work environment. Had to meet deadlines. End of the month reporting. Management worked close by. Monitored account information for fire hydrants and meter rentals. Used Outlook to communicate correspondence, memos and relate information about waste water management and customer service. WSSC is a family friendly public works company that provide a variety of services to the PG and Montgomery County Community.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Travel
Culture needs an overhaul
Chemist/Microbiologist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMay 1, 2018
Most days start and progress with lots of small meetings, frequent interruptions and impromptu changes that can truly make being productive a bit stressful. However, once you learn your job duties and get into a groove, you are mostly left to get the job done. Management is segmented and you often have to clear the smallest details with 3-4 managers and even then sometimes no one wants to make a decision until hours to days go by. The hardest part of the job is that it has so much potential to be a great place to work, but currently it's just too stressful and needs a makeover from the top down.
Pros
Nice area to work (Silver Spring)
Cons
Hectic, stressful and badly managed
Great Benefits and People to work with
Claims Agent III (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MD 20707May 1, 2018
WSSC offers great benefits and job security. Have worked for 30 years and been a great place to work. Would recommend WSSC to others. I have learned a lot at the company
Review
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMarch 15, 2018
A typical work day depends on the weather and how your route looks. I spend most of the day walking from house to house reading their water usages. thats the hardest part which is the weather. the enjoyable part is when you complete your route within 3 hrs and still get paid for 8 hrs.
Enjoyable part of Job
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 26, 2018
This was another temp job for me. The experience to learn a lot about water and how it would be recycled was even better. The people were good to work with and allowed for an environment to learn and succeed .
Typical govt mentality
Lead Software Engineering QA (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDJanuary 22, 2018
Not so faced paced. Lots of politics. Lots of long timers. Overall environment was ok. Contractors definitely treated different from the employees, which wasn't so good.
Great place to work if you like to take things slow
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 18, 2018
The bureaucracy in this place is amazing, nothing will get done without the approval at the top. That slows down things and then you get blamed for the delay in your work.
Great people and great place to work
Innovation & Engineering Research Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time at WSSC - the people are top-knotch and the workplace is friendly and interesting work! If you are in the DC METRO area, this is the place to work :-)
Enjoying what I am doing
Senior Chemist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 11, 2017
Laboratory location and building is very nice. Laboratory is equipped with very good instruments and required tools. Everyone stays busy in normal routine work. There is plenty to learn at this location.
Internship
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 11, 2017
I was only an intern at this company but I enjoyed my time there. The job was fun and always eventful. I was able to go to different job sites and also some editing of reports and audio.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
not long enough
Average Employee has 20 plus years
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 2, 2017
WSSC Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.
Good place to work, Great Retirement benefits. employees on average have 20 plus years at WSSC. Multiple job locations and opportunities.
Pros
Retirement benefits
Cons
Most employees have 20 plus years
It's the government
Internship (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 29, 2017
It's the government. Its a government job and exactly what you would expect from a government job. No real complaints about the company, people at this place are nice.
Pros
government job
Cons
government job
The work place was enjoyable and fun.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 22, 2017
The days were good. I learned how to work as a team. Management was amazing. The culture is wonderful. There was no hard part of work at this company.
Interesting place to work
Safey (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 14, 2017
This organization is responsible for water quality in two major counties in Maryland. There is a good camaraderie of employees and staff members. There is also a unique workplace culture.
Its a ok company to work for "just ok "
Facility Technician (Current Employee) –  Accokeek, MDAugust 8, 2017
Pay is good compared to other utilities .
Benefits are good compared to other companies.
Training is good compared to other companies.

Management is poor and corrupt and there is no leadership.
Moral is poor.
No room for upward mobility.
There is no team atmosphere. "You are on your own"
Opportunities are not the same for all.
Pros
Pay, benefits, leave, training
Cons
Lack of leadership, moral, guidance, equal opportunities, teamwork, nepotism
Over-all great company to work for and I love providing service for life's most precious resource. Water
Collection Technician III. Duties (Current Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDAugust 6, 2017
WSSC has truly been a career oriented job. It has offered many means of further education and on the job training. The company has supported efforts with training for and receiving certifications needed to continually advance in my career. The culture of the company has declined over the last couple of decades for several different reasons. The main reason for their decline has been too much turn-over at management levels (especially senior management). We are also battling an aging "labor" force. This makes our day to day operations more strenuous and challenging. The most difficult part of my job would be dealing with the constant turnover at the management level that often results in changing directions. Too much change can be counter-productive for a company and generally affects the consumer. Over-all, I enjoy my career and see no reason why I wouldn't stay until I am eligible for retirement. I look forward to being an asset over the next decade and hopefully assist in reversing these trends.
Pros
Benefits, Training, Stability
Cons
Management turn-over, complacency

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WSSC. Our community is ready to answer.