WSSC Employee Reviews

Work Place
Supervisor (crew leader) (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 12, 2018
My experience on the job was ever changing from customers to employees some good and some bad but the over all experience
was good for me.

The most enjoyable part was working with employees and some of the most difficult parts was adapting to new management,

I learned a great deal about water and sewer distribution over the
years and have enjoyed the working experience from time to time.

A typical day at work was dealing with weather working outside in
100 degrees during the summer and below 20 degrees in the winter rain and snow for me was something I had to prepare for.

If I had to rate WSSC as a company my rating would be on a scale 1 to 10 one being the lowest and 10 being the highest I give them a 10
because what WSSC have to offer to the employees is well worth it.
Pros
Company Picnic
Cons
Worked outside cold and heat
Fun place to work with laid back environment.
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDOctober 22, 2018
A really professional environment without the stresses associated with for-profit corporations. The work is meaningful and there is a real feeling of contribution to WSSC's mission.
Pros
Easy going environment.
Cons
Long commute from home.
Nice place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 25, 2018
This place was nice to work. I got along with everyone. The pay was a little low because I was contacted with another company. I wish I had another chance ti work there fully for the company.
Great company!
PERMIT AGENT (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 23, 2018
Great company with amazing benefits. I would recommend for anyone who has a family and is thinking about long term (retirement). Great long term employee appreciation.
Average Management
Senior Business Process Consultant (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 24, 2018
Not enough focus on projects and overseeing of middle management to ensure effectiveness for the business. More focus required on ensuring projects are well managed by resources with on the job experience.
Great Company
Human Resource Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 11, 2018
They will do everything they can to accommodate you and help you stay at the job. Meters readers and depot jobs have it very tough due to the outside nature of work.
WSSC is great
Construction Inspector I (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDJuly 6, 2018
I enjoy working at WSSC, I'd recommend it. If you have a chance to get hired, I'd jump at it. I don't want to write anymore about WSSC I'm looking for a new job.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Hard to move up
Good atmosphere
Lab Technician, Contractor (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 26, 2018
The people here are good to work with and are willing to help when needed. I learned to use a new type of inventory system and about EPA standards. Management does not micro manage the employees. The hardest part of the job was getting use to the way the lab was run.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Na
Great place to grow
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MD and Anacostia. Hyattsville MDMay 29, 2018
Excellent retirement package. Flexible work schedule. Personalable work environment. Had to meet deadlines. End of the month reporting. Management worked close by. Monitored account information for fire hydrants and meter rentals. Used Outlook to communicate correspondence, memos and relate information about waste water management and customer service. WSSC is a family friendly public works company that provide a variety of services to the PG and Montgomery County Community.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Travel
Culture needs an overhaul
Chemist/Microbiologist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMay 1, 2018
Most days start and progress with lots of small meetings, frequent interruptions and impromptu changes that can truly make being productive a bit stressful. However, once you learn your job duties and get into a groove, you are mostly left to get the job done. Management is segmented and you often have to clear the smallest details with 3-4 managers and even then sometimes no one wants to make a decision until hours to days go by. The hardest part of the job is that it has so much potential to be a great place to work, but currently it's just too stressful and needs a makeover from the top down.
Pros
Nice area to work (Silver Spring)
Cons
Hectic, stressful and badly managed
Great Benefits and People to work with
Claims Agent III (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MD 20707May 1, 2018
WSSC offers great benefits and job security. Have worked for 30 years and been a great place to work. Would recommend WSSC to others. I have learned a lot at the company
Review
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMarch 15, 2018
A typical work day depends on the weather and how your route looks. I spend most of the day walking from house to house reading their water usages. thats the hardest part which is the weather. the enjoyable part is when you complete your route within 3 hrs and still get paid for 8 hrs.
Enjoyable part of Job
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 26, 2018
This was another temp job for me. The experience to learn a lot about water and how it would be recycled was even better. The people were good to work with and allowed for an environment to learn and succeed .
Typical govt mentality
Lead Software Engineering QA (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDJanuary 22, 2018
Not so faced paced. Lots of politics. Lots of long timers. Overall environment was ok. Contractors definitely treated different from the employees, which wasn't so good.
Great place to work if you like to take things slow
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 18, 2018
The bureaucracy in this place is amazing, nothing will get done without the approval at the top. That slows down things and then you get blamed for the delay in your work.
Great people and great place to work
Innovation & Engineering Research Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time at WSSC - the people are top-knotch and the workplace is friendly and interesting work! If you are in the DC METRO area, this is the place to work :-)
Great benifits
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 16, 2017
Great place to work great pay working in a constantly changing company very challenging employees work together to achieve goals and train one another
Pros
Healthcare and dental
Cons
Management can be iffy depending on section you work in
Enjoying what I am doing
Senior Chemist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 11, 2017
Laboratory location and building is very nice. Laboratory is equipped with very good instruments and required tools. Everyone stays busy in normal routine work. There is plenty to learn at this location.
WSSC is a great place to work
Chief Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 15, 2017
The WSSC puts much time and money into training their staff and sending them off to conferences to network with operators from neighboring utilities. Their management system is fair providing opportunity to advance or stay in a position where confortable.
Pros
Training, conferences, advancement, teamwork
Internship
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 11, 2017
I was only an intern at this company but I enjoyed my time there. The job was fun and always eventful. I was able to go to different job sites and also some editing of reports and audio.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
not long enough