WVU Medicine Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Worst job I've ever had
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 16, 2018
The management is very unprofessional. The staff does the job of the program coordinator because she was given a job she can't perform. She is very degrading if you ask questions or make suggestions. You are expected to perform 2 or more jobs with no raise or appreciation. Compensation is low and the insurance is expensive.
Pros
Nice group of doctors
Cons
The list goes on and on
Great organization to work for
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 11, 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working for this company. The only thing is where I am in the company there is no where else to advance to, so in order to advance tounhabe to move to another position in the company.
Better know someone
Medical Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 10, 2018
To advance there you better know someone or have an "in" as they say. Management is horrible, they don't know what they are doing. They promote the people who make mistakes and terminate the employees who work hard and are good at their job. Most managers don't even know what or how to do the job of the people they are in charge over. There are some employees that are making more than degreed employees
Pros
Healthcare availability
Cons
Nepotisn, No Job Advancement, Bad Management
Coordinator patient access (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJuly 10, 2018
Department needs work but decent place of employment. Good benefits and pay. Excellent personal vacation time. Communication between employees could use some work
Great place to work.
Billing/Coding Supervisor, Dep. of Orthopaedics (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 1, 2018
It was a pleasure working at WVU. I worked with some of the greatest people who were willing to teach me all that I was willing to learn. In the medical billing/coding field, onsite training is a must.
Not Worth It
Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 1, 2018
When you clock in, you are assigned a phone and you use a pager. You call the system for job assignments. Assignments will appear on your pager. During assignments, you have to call the system for everything or you will be hounded by the dispatcher or management. Take too long on a job, you will get hounded for that as well. If you do not like working on your feet, this is not the job for you as you will walk 10 to 15 miles each shift. Parking is a joke as they want employees parking at the off-site locations. Work mid-shift? Good luck finding a place to park. Game days are a nightmare as employees are not permitted to park at the hospital and no shuttles run on game days or weekends. Communication is lacking and makes employees vulnerable to contracting illnesses. The co-workers are a good group to work with, but management needs some serious overhaul. The doctors are not aware of surroundings as they always stand in your way and will not move when trying to do your job.
Pros
Too few to be worth mentioning
Cons
Too many to list
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Work from homeJune 19, 2018
I love my job and find it challenging and I continue to take on new projects. The insurance industry is every changing so keeps the job interesting and never boring. I am able to work from home which is a big plus.
Stressful
Registration Specialist/Centralized Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 12, 2018
As a patient, I love WVU Medicine because they always provide exceptional care. As a former employee, I can say that I am happier now that I no longer work there. Employees are offered a multitude of benefits, such as Paid Time Off, Health Insurance, Retirement, Discounts, annual raises, and an annual bonus. That comes at a cost though. You are constantly working in a fast-paced, stressful environment. The patient is ALWAYS right, the doctors are catered to, and the cost of their health insurance has increased significantly. I (mostly) enjoyed the people I worked with and my supervisors, but I was also always stressed out to the max hoping I didn't do or say something wrong. Also, most new employees have to park off-site, meaning you park a few miles away and have to ride a shuttle to work. Be prepared to come to work extra early. If you are a regular, hourly employee, then you get a 30 minute lunch. On another note, WVU Medicine is ever-growing. They NEED their employees, so unless you are a frequent rule-breaker, then you should always have a job with them.
Pros
Annual raise, annual bonus, job security
Cons
Quick-paced, stressful, parking
Rural University Medicine Setting
Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 5, 2018
WVU Medicine provides a multitude of professional and clinical experiences in an unique rural setting. The organization is a complex University Medical Center providing a wide range of clinical services both inpatient, outpatient and rural outreach. It is supported by multiple disciplines of the WVU Medical School. Technology is supported and I find it more advanced than most medical centers across the nation.
Horrible management and HR
Supervisor, Buyer (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 2, 2018
Worst job I ever had. Auxiliary board is horrible at this hospital. Management didn’t respect me. Pay wasn’t high enough for everything you had to do.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Poor management and staff
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJune 1, 2018
Management wasn't fair to their employees and rude to certain ones, took away the break room. Never had enough staff to cover the various areas. Food was horrible.
Positive workplace
WVU MEDICINE internship (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 15, 2018
This internship helped me gain the opportunity to build strong client relationships and communication skills . I was able to effectively use time management skills to excel in a full course load of classes and a collegiate sport. Through WVU cardiac rehab i was given the ability to work and connect with all age groups, and help them achieve goals to improve their health and lifestyle.
Dental Dept
Dental registration (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 14, 2018
Thick skin go for it, otherwise chose another department. They want to learn but belittle you if you make a mistake. Decided that I would not continue with this department and most likely any department in the medical arena.
Pros
hours, benefits
Cons
management, no support
Overworked and underappreciated
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 29, 2018
Changes in management and failure to properly approve new hires left me doing the job of 3 people. They cooperated with my disability requests and Unum paid for 3 leaves of absences, but all those absences were a direct result of the stress from doing too much work. Upper management was not supportive. I was happy when I started and miserable when I left.
Pros
Comparable pay
Cons
too much work, little respect or recognition
Good dependable job place but has drama
Perioperative Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 23, 2018
I loved the job and getting to work closely with doctors/nurses in the Operating Room. The job was fast paced. Most coworkers were friendly and great people but there was a ton of drama which made the work environment unfavorable.
warm and friendly place to work especially for hospital setting
Patient Family Liaison (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 20, 2018
I feel supported by the management and the corporate staff. They are always planning events to make us feel involved in addition to maintain our own health and wellness
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
Parking
Could be better
CLINICAL ASSOCIATE WVU MEDICINE (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 18, 2018
With the things you have to put up with in my position, it's not worth the money. Very stressful position. Management will listen to complaints but that's all thats done. They listen. Action is never taken and our stresses are no concern to them.
Great Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 15, 2018
A great team environment with a lot of continual educational programs available. It is a very fast paced area . It was job that kept you challenged
Pros
Great Insurance
Rn
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 23, 2018
Enjoyable. Young vibrant staff. College town. Best hospital in the area. Football stadium in the parking lot. Starbucks in building. Level 1 Trauma center
Good place to work but I wouldn’t recommend as a new nurse first get some experience first because they don’t have time to train you on the floor
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 20, 2018
I worked the night weekend program which was great pay as a new nurse but make sure you’re properly trained. They like to throw you on the floor and make you accountable.
Pros
Pay benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WVU Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight