WVU Medicine Employee Reviews

Stop expanding and give your employees a chance
HIM Coding (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 28, 2018
Work/Life balance used to be great!

Now, its go, go, go, and more, more, more. HIM employees (coding especially) are expected to take on every new clinic/hospital that is bought with little to no notice. While productivity and quality are ok, the work load has become unmanageable. Adding staff doesn't help when they add 3x more sites than employees. Supervisors (some good, some awful) and Educators are visibly stressed out, overworked and it shows. They do their best but, everyone is drowning in work.

Expectations are through the roof with no sign on stopping...great for job security but you wont keep the good employees you have if you keep pushing them past their breaking point.

I never thought of leaving WVU Medicine (10+ years) until now.
Fast paced, enjoyable work. Not so enjoyable work schedule/team.
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 16, 2018
There are quite a lot of call offs every day, especially weekends. Weekends are the worst time to work( hectic,short staffed, newer people who don't know what to do). There is a lot of drama and that includes management, but its not too bad if you just stay away from the people who start it and do what you're supposed to be doing. I did learn a lot here though and believe that it helped me pass my certification test. They are really good about cross training people in different areas and letting you pick up as much on call as you want.
Pros
Always a chance for overtime, Job security, They are reworking the pay scale(higher pay/promotions)
Cons
Not a great work environment, Way too many call offs, Hard to get vacation time/time off
Terrible.
Clinical Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  MorgantownOctober 7, 2018
If you’re not an RN you’re not going to fit in!
If you are a cry-baby and can’t accept any way but your way this is the place for you! They will CATER to you! If you do your job and you don’t complain, they will walk all over you! And if you speak up for yourself they will bully and harass you until you quit. Nothing you do will ever be good enough, they will find something wrong with everything you do. Even if you have a lot of experience and a lot of seniority you are treated as if you’re the worst employee ever. If you are a patient sitter, you’re forgetten about and no matter how many times you call or yell out for a break no one seems to come. Seems safe, right? And don’t get anyone started on parking. I suggest you re-evaluate thinking about working here.
Pros
Very few coworkers, they’re few and far between to have amazing ones.
Cons
Short breaks, no relief, management sucks, lack of advancement, lack of equipment because it’s always broken.
Do Not Work Here!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 26, 2018
Hospital is poorly ran by management. Turn over is very high. Staff is over worked but paid well. There is no home/work balance. They say they are the only Magnet Hospital in WV and that nurses come first. That is completely incorrect. They do not care about their employees. They only care about making money and building their empire. The staff I worked with was the best. We stuck together and helped each other as a team. If you went to management and complained nothing was ever done. You are told that it has always been done this way and it will continue to be done this way. If management liked you then you could get away with anything. However, if they didn't, they made your life awful there. I saw some of the best coworkers in my life leave there because of it. Some of my coworkers had poor work ethic and constantly were in the managers office complaining. Those were the ones that got everything. I made great money but money can't buy you happiness.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
Doesn't believe in breaks and will work you to death.
Better know someone
Medical Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 10, 2018
To advance there you better know someone or have an "in" as they say. Management is horrible, they don't know what they are doing. They promote the people who make mistakes and terminate the employees who work hard and are good at their job. Most managers don't even know what or how to do the job of the people they are in charge over. There are some employees that are making more than degreed employees
Pros
Healthcare availability
Cons
Nepotisn, No Job Advancement, Bad Management
Associate IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 10, 2018
WVU Medicine is a wonderful place to work. There are some down sides. but overall, fellow employees are nice to work with and micromanagement is kept to a minimum.
Pros
Job security, advancements
Cons
Sub-par benefits, low range of compensation, short staffed
Worst job I've ever had
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 16, 2018
The management is very unprofessional. The staff does the job of the program coordinator because she was given a job she can't perform. She is very degrading if you ask questions or make suggestions. You are expected to perform 2 or more jobs with no raise or appreciation. Compensation is low and the insurance is expensive.
Pros
Nice group of doctors
Cons
The list goes on and on
Current Employee
REGISTERED MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVSeptember 17, 2018
Current Employee.

Love my job, more compensation would be nice but not overly expected in a non- profit healthcare system.

Great management within my current department.
Pros
Good work/ life balance
Cons
Limited income potential
Low pay and management takes advantage of employees
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 19, 2018
The mission of the organization does much good providing healthcare for the people of WV and surrounding areas. However from my experience as an employee and not a patient management lies repeatedly about your career prospects in the department, you'll end up working 2 jobs with no pay increase because the hiring process with this organization takes forever, lazy and unprofessional employees face little or no repercussion. One of my Directors can be highly critical of staff, while seeing no fault of his own for department failure. It's bad for team building and morale.
Pros
Good benefits and good coworkers
My job as a Central Completion Analyst
Central Completion Analyst (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVOctober 7, 2018
My job is a great job, I really enjoy it and I enjoy working at WVU Medicine.
There is many opportunities available at WVU for anyone that is searching for a new career.
I have learned to release medical records, process claims and now I do Central Completion which is my favorite.
A typical day is like any other day, you have your good day's and your bad days, you go through up/ down/sadness and happiness with your co-workers, your like a big happy family I wouldn't trade my co-workers for any others.
Pros
ability to work at home-daycare-
Cons
parking
Poor management
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVOctober 1, 2018
They have continued to expand at such a pace, that almost everyone I interacted with constantly complained about under staffing issues, and HR could not meet their own goal metrics to get people hired fast enough to meet the need of the departments. Due to the under staffing, people chronically complain about being over-worked, which produces a negative working environment. Management lacks the skills to implement any type of proven process that are able to properly identify and resolve the present issues. This is the worst employer that I have worked at in my 40 year work history.
Pros
Cons
poor management, under staffing, over working, negative work env.
Disappointing
Direct Patient Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVOctober 31, 2018
There is so much potential in this organization, however it is stifled by money hungry management. The focus of this organization is no longer health care. The almighty dollar controls everything. Management constantly asks of their employees but rarely gives so much as a thank you. We work like a machine and we are excellent at what we do, but we are held to a thin line. Don’t step on it or over it with your opinion or dare stand up for yourself. You’re a dime a dozen and they know it and won’t hesitate to tell you so.
Pros
Great work family
Cons
Extremely poor management
Stressful
Registration Specialist/Centralized Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 12, 2018
As a patient, I love WVU Medicine because they always provide exceptional care. As a former employee, I can say that I am happier now that I no longer work there. Employees are offered a multitude of benefits, such as Paid Time Off, Health Insurance, Retirement, Discounts, annual raises, and an annual bonus. That comes at a cost though. You are constantly working in a fast-paced, stressful environment. The patient is ALWAYS right, the doctors are catered to, and the cost of their health insurance has increased significantly. I (mostly) enjoyed the people I worked with and my supervisors, but I was also always stressed out to the max hoping I didn't do or say something wrong. Also, most new employees have to park off-site, meaning you park a few miles away and have to ride a shuttle to work. Be prepared to come to work extra early. If you are a regular, hourly employee, then you get a 30 minute lunch. On another note, WVU Medicine is ever-growing. They NEED their employees, so unless you are a frequent rule-breaker, then you should always have a job with them.
Pros
Annual raise, annual bonus, job security
Cons
Quick-paced, stressful, parking
general summary
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVOctober 31, 2018
I feel that WVU Medicine has great potential to be a wonderful place to work. I also feel that it does better than a lot of large companies. I feel that the environment has changes within WVU Medicine within the past couple of years and that the company as a whole is suffering from some of these changes. I still value my career opportunities that have been provided through WVU Medicine and encourage others to seek employment here.
Fast Paced Hospital
CARDIAC MONITOR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 26, 2018
I had a great time working at WVU Healthcare. My supervisor and coworkers were wonderful. I left because there was no room for career advancement in my department.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Low salary
productive work atmosphere
Associate Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 15, 2019
WVU medicine is a great career choice. I have learned to grow and use my full ability and potential to successfully fulfill my job duties. I have also had great support from fellow employees to achieve one goal and that is the safety and satisfaction for the customer.
Developmental
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVOctober 21, 2018
Helps you grow and advance career in healthcare. Very insightful people work there that work very hard day and night. Didn’t want to stay working as a cna but plenty of people staying there several years at a time while they go onto become nurses and other healthcare jobs with higher pay
Great management and coworkers
Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 3, 2018
I enjoy the management and coworkers. First job that I have had that has offered health insurance and benefits to part-time employees, which is wonderful.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 21, 2018
Management is very easy to work with, pay is good, people are friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is the working environment. People have fun. The one thing I don't care for is there is no parking for employees. We have to park off site and shuttle to work.
Pros
Great Management, Great Pay
Cons
No Parking for employees
Not Worth It
Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 1, 2018
When you clock in, you are assigned a phone and you use a pager. You call the system for job assignments. Assignments will appear on your pager. During assignments, you have to call the system for everything or you will be hounded by the dispatcher or management. Take too long on a job, you will get hounded for that as well. If you do not like working on your feet, this is not the job for you as you will walk 10 to 15 miles each shift. Parking is a joke as they want employees parking at the off-site locations. Work mid-shift? Good luck finding a place to park. Game days are a nightmare as employees are not permitted to park at the hospital and no shuttles run on game days or weekends. Communication is lacking and makes employees vulnerable to contracting illnesses. The co-workers are a good group to work with, but management needs some serious overhaul. The doctors are not aware of surroundings as they always stand in your way and will not move when trying to do your job.
Pros
Too few to be worth mentioning
Cons
Too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WVU Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

1.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss