Wyzant Employee Reviews

Independent Contractor for Wyzant
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Winter Springs, FLMay 28, 2018
Wyzant allows workers to work as much as they want, as long as their profile is attractive and the tutor is willing to find more students. It is a very flexible job and I highly recommend it to college students, as it keeps their knowledge base fresh (if they tutor in their field) and allows them to focus on their studies whenever necessary. Breaking into the company is difficult due to the 40% cut the company receives at first, but the more you work, the smaller the cut they take.
The hardest part of the job for me was balancing the schedules of my students, their families, and my schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students get through plateaus, get into their dream school, or saving their grades or semesters.
Pros
Flexible schedule, high hourly rate
Cons
No benefits or stability
Outstanding Company to Work With
Private French Language Tutor (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 14, 2018
I have provided private French language instruction to students through WyzAnt since 2013. As an independent contractor, I set my own hours and salary structure. I am also free to tutor students in their home, my home, or in another location that is agreeable to me and my students.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the joy of designing customized language instruction that helps my students learn to read, speak, write and comprehend the French language with confidence. The most difficult part of my job is fitting in all the students who desire my services!
Pros
Flexible Schedule, ability to set hourly compensation rate, responsive Customer Service team.
Successful ELA Tutor
Tutoring (Current Employee) –  Theentire United StatesJune 20, 2018
WyzAnt is a remote company that sends potential students from kindergarten through college to an email address. It is at my discretion whether or not I choose to work with a student.

WyzAnt has expanded opportunities to work remotely. Currently, on their website I show up as a tutor earning $70/hour. Again, I am free to adjust my hourly rates.
Pros
Set my own work hours
Cons
No benefits as a freelance tutor
Great Side Gig
Math/Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  OKC, OKOctober 22, 2018
Started tutoring math and science as a sophomore in college. I was definitely nervous, since I had never tutored before. Although I had always done well in classes, I wasn't sure what to expect walking in.

I applied on several different tutoring websites, and definitely prefer WyzAnt. Compared to the other websites, I feel that WyzAnt doesn't take advantage students or tutors nearly as much. Starting out, they took 40% of my rate which is a lot, but I was still making more than the other websites were willing to pay me. In addition, their cut drops over time. Plus, my students were getting charged my lower, non-degreed rate that I set myself, rather than the $50+ per hour that other websites charge them. One such site charged their students $70 per hour then paid me $15.

The ability to tutor both online and in person is fantastic. I definitely prefer online, especially since they added tablet/touchscreen capabilities to their online platform. I did have to work hard to get my first client, since I was still a student myself, but once I had a few hours with that client requests came in faster than my crazy student schedule could keep up with!

That was three years ago. Now that I have graduated, I get client requests daily and I'm making decent money on the side of my full-time career. Could you make a living tutoring with WyzAnt full time? Probably. Although you don't get any benefits and steady, long-term clients can be hard to find. I 100 percent recommend WyzAnt to anyone looking to make some extra cash to afford their hobbies, saving for vacation, or
  more... whatever they want to spend their earnings on. Just be sure to set some of that aside for taxes, since you're responsible for those at the end of the year.  less
Pros
Convenient, Plenty of Clients, Fair to Clients, Great Online Platform, Set your own hours/rate
Cons
You're responsible for taxes at the end of the year, Steep commission early on
Private tutor
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  Where you liveJune 18, 2018
You set your own hours and hourly rate. No review needed. You are an independent contractor. You either use or don't use the company for a part-time job. No raises unless you give yourself one.
few job contracts
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 23, 2018
no supervisor assistance. few jobs. cuthroat culture. audio/visual issues. severe connection issues. I have recived no feedback on my employment and no raises despite excellent reviews. I would not advise working here.
Self-employment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2018
WyzAnt Inc. is a company recruiting independent tutors across the countries. There are many tutoring subjects available for the tutors and the tutees to choose from. However, this is considered self-employment, which means the tutors are not compensated with any benefits or protections from the company. Moreover, the company charges new tutors 40% service fee from each of their lessons. So to be charged less, the tutors need to accumulate more tutoring hours.
Secretive Business
Tutor (Former Employee) –  MississippiNovember 6, 2018
I was a tutor at Wyzant for a brief period. I completed the application, began outreach to prospective students and believed everything was working as I expected. Without warning the company suspends my application and states that my services are no longer required, like a prototypical firing in person. I ask for more information yet receive a canned response from the company stating I was in violation of a generic paragraph in the Code of Ethics.I was nothing more than a faceless cog in this educational machine. All the time and diligent effort I put forth to make the company better and improve my own teaching prospects relegated to politically correct garble. This company is ruthless.
Pros
Flexible schedule, personalized profile, individualized monetary rates
Cons
Secretive, deceptive, shadowy management structure, difficult to navigate policies
Permanently banned for no reason
Tutor (Former Employee) –  HoustonOctober 8, 2018
I had a few students with Wyzant almost four years ago. One student suddenly decided to go against my policy and demand that I meet him with one hours' notice. When I declined, he reported me and accused me of missing a scheduled meeting and I was permanently banned with no investigation. I have tried to apply twice since and was allowed to spend several hours creating my profile before being automatically deleted. I have worked professionally with a private tutoring company for a year and have had a year and a half experience instructing a lab at a university since, both with an easily verifiable complete absence of negative feedback, and yet I am never allowed back on the platform again. This is absolutely absurd and among the many other reasons you shouldn't consider "working" for Wyzant.
Pros
Make good money until someone abuses the system
Cons
Everything else
Wyzants approach is good But...
Tutor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
They do try to help_ maybe because they get a percentage. But they will refer you. Honestly, I have not been on their site in the past few days cause I need money. While I like the website and having my own personal webpage, I find it hard to get hired! The problem is that a lot of people who are asking for tutorial assistance are parents from out of state. As of yet, they are behind the times and would prefer their child being tutored face-to-face. Similar to the hours their little tyke sits in front of the Xbox? So right now I am a little disappointed with Wyzant Tutoring_ despite its potential.
Pros
Has a great set up.
Cons
Problem attracting students to site.
WyzAnt
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
It is just a place to tutor on line. There are no benefits and if you go above 30 dollars an hour, you will not get picked to be a tutor. You are just paying for gas.
Pros
can work any time
Cons
no benefits
You make the most of your tutoring experience on Wyzant
Self-employed Tutor (Current Employee) –  Darien, CTAugust 1, 2018
As a self-employed tutor, Wyzant gives you the resources and network to reach more students in your area. Everything else, though, is up to you. You set your rate and decide how many students you want to take on. Most of my students were temporary jobs that lasted a few weeks or months, but I'm sure there are recurring jobs that you can find. The only downside for using Wyzant is that they take a significant portion of your commission at the start. You can even it out by charging a bit more, which seems to be the market staple on the website (i.e. rates are relatively steep, but people are willing to pay for them).
If you need extra cash, do it.
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2018
This is a good way of earning extra income. The only downfall is that you are considered self-employed. Which means that you must manage and pay your own taxes.
This is a Cetified Tutor position
Certified Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2018
Management was very supportive and concise. Ratio of assigned work was accommodating and precise. My students were allocated in a professional manner and their outline of issues was clear and appreciated.
great way to work on your own time
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2018
I was able to work on my own time so I could do things i needed to do throughout the day. The best part is that you can set oyur own salary which is totally worth it.
So-so
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2018
When they have tutors set their profiles, they ask what part of town they would like to work in, yet when tutoring requests come through I still get ones that are almost 20-30 miles away! And I often get potential clients that have not completed their profiles or who do not send complete messages about what they are specifically looking for.
Pros
Can work at your own pace
Cons
Slow response time
Excellent Broker for Student to locate & select their Best Tutor
Tutor/Consultant (Current Employee) –  AnywhereNovember 10, 2018
Tutors must pass tests before being qualified to teach their subjects, which increases confidence of students before they are empowered to select their best tutor - either locally in-person or online using the collaborative whiteboard.
Pros
Pre-qualified tutors deliver Quality Service
Cons
You're an independent contractor. Your reputation relies on client reviews.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 28, 2017
At WyzAnt you're an independent contractor. You set your rate, but WyzAnt takes a big chunk of it (though the chunk lessens over time). The web site has an easy user interface.

Your reputation depends on the reviews of your clients.

I was a math tutor. I have a strong background in math and did not have problems handling atypical math classes/assignments, but my clients complained that other tutors were not prepared for such classes. A tutor said they 'knew' algebra for example, but struggled with a unique algebra honors course the client was taking. That algebra tutor had to have passed Wyzant's algebra test (which you can only take once by the way), but the test does not encompass all that algebra can be.

I loved my clients and the reason I left was to pursue a degree. I still think about my clients and hope they are becoming successful mathematicians!
Pros
You set your own salary and your own hours.
Cons
There are no real benefits. If you do in-home tutoring there's a lot of driving.
Good organization
Independent Professional Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
I have been a tutor with Wyzant for 8 years now and have no complaints. Staff are always receptive to suggestions, and almost always very polite and professional.
Pros
Administrative details taken care of by Wyzant, flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Students who don't follow up or follow through
Self employed individuals are helped by WyzAnt to find customers
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara County, CANovember 10, 2017
I like Wyzant because the company finds jobs for self employed individuals. The customer service department is very helpful in solving technical problems.
Pros
Self employed people have freedom to choose jobs
Cons
Wyzant take 30% of my pay and their are no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wyzant. Our community is ready to answer.