WyzAnt Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good way to start tutoring
French tutor (Current Employee) –  Northern New JerseyJuly 21, 2018
It is hard to get paid for your work as much as is fair. However, they are good at finding clients for you. I liked the variety of clients I've had. Wyzant located customers for me at nearby locations for me, in Bergen County and Passaic County, New Jersey.
Fun workplace
French Tutor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is you do your own schedule. You meet student from different level. It is a fun job if you want to make some money on the side.
Pros
you meet people from different cultures
Cons
Good work place with opportunity to help others.
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJuly 10, 2018
Wyzant is a good place to work for extra money and help young people do better in their classes. I tend to tutor the 'heavy-duty' classes that give high school kids lots of trouble.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
Times of little work
Usually pretty solid work
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJune 26, 2018
Wyzant takes a bit of a good chunk of earnings, but it is convenient using their site for safety and security. Overall a good work experience, would recommend to most.
WyzAnt experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJune 23, 2018
My experience was very good, you can make your own hours. However, some clients may cancels on arrival, then tutor may lose pay. It is not stable job, it is good for students or as an additional income.
Good company to work for.
TEST PREP INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2018
Generally a no problem company. You are as good as you are. They don't trouble employees. You can choose your schedule. There is transparency. Overall quite good.
Pros
Problem free work environment.
Cons
None in particular.
Wyzant Tutoring
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 21, 2018
Potential tutors are shown to students seeking tutors. A great company to work for and I have used them for my own family. Tutors can meet students at their home or the Library, etc.
Successful ELA Tutor
Tutoring (Current Employee) –  Theentire United StatesJune 20, 2018
WyzAnt is a remote company that sends potential students from kindergarten through college to an email address. It is at my discretion whether or not I choose to work with a student.

WyzAnt has expanded opportunities to work remotely. Currently, on their website I show up as a tutor earning $70/hour. Again, I am free to adjust my hourly rates.
Pros
Set my own work hours
Cons
No benefits as a freelance tutor
Private tutor
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  Where you liveJune 18, 2018
You set your own hours and hourly rate. No review needed. You are an independent contractor. You either use or don't use the company for a part-time job. No raises unless you give yourself one.
Great way to tutor.
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 15, 2018
I always loved tutoring with Wyzant. I was able to work with students and parents not only on a schedule that worked for me while I was in college but also on subjects I really loved teaching.
Not bad for extra money
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 13, 2018
pretty good extra money, depending on your rate/time of year work can be busy, usually tutored 3-5 hours a week, most of the time you'll get inquiries from students but they'll stop following up, can be frustrating/may need to also signup for additional tutoring websites to get enough clientele
WyzAnt tutoring
Part-time tutor, science and math (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJune 12, 2018
Tutoring for WyzAnt assumes you know the material and are you willing to travel to a student's location to tutor them.
I had to prepare 4 templates for each of the 20+ subjects I am tutoring, one each for: in person tutoring with confirmed payment, in person tutoring with unconfirmed payment, online tutoring with confirmed payment, and online tutoring with unconfirmed payment.
I must check every morning to see if there are any jobs to respond to. When a tutoring location is beyond my 10-mile driving radius, from my home, I charge $1.00 more per hour, but I must get them to accept the augmented rate before I tutor them.
If the student does not like my service, they may rate me less than 5 stars. If that happens I ask them why they rated me less than 5 stars and ask them to increase their rating of me to 5 starts. If they will not change their rating of me, I cancel that job, lose the money for that job, and try to keep my overall average rating as high as possible.
I only tutor new students for 1 hour the first time we meet, so as not to lose more money for a bad rating.
I have several students that continue year to year but there are always those students and parents that want 2 or 3 hours on the day before a big exam, which is too-little too-late and I'll probably get a low rating, so I prefer 1- 1 1/2 hours per day and 2 - 3 times per week, so that we can go over all the material the student covered in class, and to make sure they can do all their own homework.
Do Not Do the Student's Homework For Them!
I must write up a summary of the things I did with each student
  more... and submit it after each tutoring session in order to register the job and get paid in about a week. I use direct deposit. I write off the mileage and, tutoring supplies and tutoring food, like coffee donuts and burgers.
Most teachers could not do this because this job requires me, the tutor to: be my own administrator, as well as the subject knowledge expert, and the deliverer of the material to the student I am trying to train, at the input rate that the student can successfully absorb.
The joy of this tutoring experience is when the parents tell me that their student did well on their recent test, and when I see the student go from tears and fears, to joy and confidence.
When I started tutoring I was only able to keep a small percentage of what I charged, and now after having tutored over 400 hours I keep 80% of what I charge. I can also keep 100% of my rate if I find my own students to tutor, but they must pay an additional 7% to WyzAnt.
All my students want to be educated, which is different from the students I taught in public high school. There is less stress than teaching, but I must manage the whole process.
Pros
make my own hours, set my own rate
Cons
need management and computer skills
Great company, well-developed app
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
The app is easy to use for searching for and booking jobs. I seemlessly transitioned from tutoring in LA to Chicago when I moved and found new clients right away. I love the ability to tutor online or face-to-face, and easy to become qualified in a variety of subjects. I recommended to another teacher friend who now uses in Boston.
Pros
App, volume of available jobs
Cons
Pay takes time to increase
Love Wyzant
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJune 6, 2018
I like WyzAny because the really provide me with the opportunity to help others express themselves musically. I love the feeling I have after every lesson.
Pros
Set my own rate
Cons
High Percentage cut
Excellent referral service.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 6, 2018
WyzAnt does a great job in connecting tutors with clients, providing enough information to let each interested party know if there is a good match of skills and availability.
Pocket Change
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 5, 2018
WyzAnt is good for pocket change.. Although I had a good Tutor rating on the site, students were far and in-between. This company is good to work for if you are student looking to make extra cash, or as a side job.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Not enough students to tutor on a regular basis
Independent Contractor for Wyzant
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Winter Springs, FLMay 28, 2018
Wyzant allows workers to work as much as they want, as long as their profile is attractive and the tutor is willing to find more students. It is a very flexible job and I highly recommend it to college students, as it keeps their knowledge base fresh (if they tutor in their field) and allows them to focus on their studies whenever necessary. Breaking into the company is difficult due to the 40% cut the company receives at first, but the more you work, the smaller the cut they take.
The hardest part of the job for me was balancing the schedules of my students, their families, and my schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students get through plateaus, get into their dream school, or saving their grades or semesters.
Pros
Flexible schedule, high hourly rate
Cons
No benefits or stability
Whatever You Put In, You Get Back
tutor (Current Employee) –  Oswego, ILMay 26, 2018
Since Wyzant is a contract based company, it depends how much effort you put in to find students and set up lessons.

Wyzant has a payment structure so the more lessons you complete, the more money you get. Do your research before you get set up with them.
You set your hours but it may be difficult to find clients
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLMay 26, 2018
The good part of the job is that you are an independent contractor. The con is that you may not have a client in a year or two. It is difficult to make a living doing this job.
Pros
Independent contractor
Cons
Slow. It's difficult to depend on this as a means of livelihood
Freelance Tutoring
Freelance English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, NJMay 14, 2018
Good for freelancers company takes a cut. Not easy to get enough clients.Able to choose who to work with. Premium may give more access to jobs. Not steady employment.