WyzAnt Employee Reviews

You set your hours but it may be difficult to find clients
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLMay 26, 2018
The good part of the job is that you are an independent contractor. The con is that you may not have a client in a year or two. It is difficult to make a living doing this job.
Pros
Independent contractor
Cons
Slow. It's difficult to depend on this as a means of livelihood
Freelance Tutoring
Freelance English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, NJMay 14, 2018
Good for freelancers company takes a cut. Not easy to get enough clients.Able to choose who to work with. Premium may give more access to jobs. Not steady employment.
Wyzant- Self Employed Tutoring Service
Tutor (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 7, 2018
Self Employed Tutoring Service. Students are obtained from Wyzant website which is user friendly. Has given me the opportunity to work with multiple personalities and persons of different backgrounds.
A great website to find a tutoring job
Japanese/Russian Language Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hackettstown, NJMay 7, 2018
It is well thought and well-done website to find an opportunity as a tutor. I recommended to my friends and family and they really liked it! They do the background check which is very important and it cost me only about $8.
good money
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2018
its a good part time job! its good for high school and college students but it is not reliable as a full time job because the student may cancel classes
Interesting
ESL Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 26, 2018
Interesting in that one creates one's own schedule. Difficult to find enough students to make it financially viable. Everything is done on line and much competition to enlist students.
Pros
Make your own schedule and choose your students.
Cons
Not a lot of support, and competition to find students.
Decent Online Tutoring Company
Computer Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 22, 2018
Wyzant is an online platform that allows tutors and teachers to find students to work with online and in person.

As a computer science tutor I have found that there are plenty of jobs available. Unfortunately you could make much more for these services in person without the company but there has to be someway to find clients.

Even though Wyzant takes a cut of the money it is still a decent source of income on the side
Flexible schedule, Hard to get students
Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 22, 2018
This was a good company, but it was hard to get students to sign on. Once they agreed to the program, it was enjoyable to teach to each individual's needs.
Great Place to Tutor
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 3, 2018
I have been tutoring on Wyzant for about two months, and so far I have had a very positive experience. I received two student requests before I had even tutored a single hour, and the more hours I tutor and more positive ratings I receive, the more requests I get. I have begun to think I might be able to earn a full-time living from Wyzant.

The part I like best about tutoring on Wyzant is the independence. I choose my own hourly rate, when I tutor and the content of my tutor page. The one time I had an issue with a student, Wyzant customer service was great. Other than that they stay out of your way. I have noticed in looking for other tutor jobs that many places decide how much to pay you, and there seems to be less choice in what students you get. At Wyzant you can both apply for job openings and receive requests directly from students.

Another thing I like about Wyzant is the incentives are aligned between tutor and company. The more hours I tutor, and the higher my tutoring fee, the more money Wyzant makes. Therefore, they want me to succeed, just as I want their company to succeed. The better Wyzant's reputation, the more students will use it.

Trying to make a living as an independent tutor is not easy. It requires a lot of hustle, and also it demands a willingness to learn new skills and acquire greater knowledge. I learn a lot from each student I tutor, and that learning makes me better for the next student.

Overall, I really have no criticism of Wyzant. I see some people dislike that they keep 40% of the fee to start, but that is only for the first 20 hours.
  more... Ultimately, you can keep 80% of your fee, and the amount you charge is up to you. Considering they find all the students and handle the advertising and bill collection, it seems a pretty good deal, especially for someone new to tutoring.  less
Pros
Independence
Cons
Requires a lot of hard work to earn a living
Great option for tutors
Language tutor (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 28, 2018
Very regulated and safe environment for the tutors to find business online, connects tutors with tons of options for finding students and conducting business.
Do not work or use this company
Prospective Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2018
I was a prospective tutor for Wyzant and applied for tutoring writing and literature. I am a published author of an academic book used in Universities nation wide and sold in all bookstores, have been tutoring this subject for 8 years and received honors in both my undergraduate and graduate schools. They have approved other tutors including those without degrees with less qualifications and do not select their tutors well. When I contacted them multiple times asking why I was denied they said the committee chose not to accept me and they had no information on why. When I asked to speak with a manager they denied my request. DO NOT WORK OR USE THIS SERVICE.
Pros
nothing
Good way to get connected
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 20, 2018
I really enjoyed the wyzant site for their connections to students, but their guidelines are sometimes a bit difficult, and there's really no insurance of a student paying you. There are several occasions where the student decided not to pay for our last session, and I never saw them again and Wyzant didn't do anything to help. Frustrating, but not really Wyzant's fault.
WyzAnt
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
It is just a place to tutor on line. There are no benefits and if you go above 30 dollars an hour, you will not get picked to be a tutor. You are just paying for gas.
Pros
can work any time
Cons
no benefits
Great organization to work for; friendly and helpfull.
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2018
I tutor various levels of nursing students (RNs and LPNs). It can be challenging at times, but when the student understands a concept and the 'light' goes on, it brings me pure pleasure.
WyzAnt is really a middle man, that allows me to tutor and pay them a finders fee.
nice part-time work
tutor (Current Employee) –  variousFebruary 26, 2018
The job was great for a temporary, part-time position. I drove to various homes and worked with all ages of students. Most parents were very grateful to have someone working with their kids.
Pros
flexible
Cons
I had to drive to far to my clients after I moved.
Great Company
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I worked for WyzAnt for about 3 years and I always enjoyed meeting new people. At this company you technically work for yourself. You create your own hours so that you can have as much flexibility a possible.
Giovanni M's Satisfactory and Pleasant Experience with Wyzant
Math and Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 7, 2018
I was pleased with the interface for finding students and was glad to be given help with acquiring and great wage.

I had almost entirely positive experiences with students. Only downside was when students and I had to part ways, sometimes suddenly.
Pros
Ease of interface use
Cons
Too many students to apply too
very flexible work
ONLINE TUTOR (Current Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 7, 2018
It is my joy and honor to share that this job is very flexible in terms of time. As a tutor, you are supposed to set the location and time for a student who needs a a little help on a subject that they need a help on. All you have to do is to respond emails that they have to send and click on a button weather you would like to meet in a setting that they or you would agree to meet.
Pros
conviences
Cons
not a regular base
Good way to help young people
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAFebruary 4, 2018
Decent, honest work. Excellent customer support. Great platform to find new students. You set your own pay, your own hours. Representatives are always available to answer questions.
All and all a very up and up company that treats its tutors with dignity and respect.
Pros
manage myself
Cons
not much career growth
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJanuary 29, 2018
Wyzant is a good place to work. I have tutored adults who have gone back to college, elementary school-age children in need of assistance with testing, and also high school students needing to study for the SAT exam. I am currently without any tutoring subjects at present but it is common during the winter months since it is a slow time of year.
Pros
The pay is very good.
Cons
Because of the rural, slow paced area that I love in, sometimes I have no tutoring positions available.