Wyzant Employee Reviews

The hardest part of the job
In person tutoring (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, Az.February 4, 2019
Many parents and students contact me for tutoring, but less than 40% follow through with actually scheduling a tutoring session. That is the most difficult part of working for Wyzant. No other comments.
Pros
Make your own schedule and set your own fee.
Cons
Following through with communication from students and parents is a challenge, because many do not communicate past the initial contact.
Great for independent contractors (tutors)
Tutor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 29, 2019
I have selected "Benefits" too in this review even though I have worked only as an independent contractor with Wyzant, for almost 10 years: the benefits are the freedom to set my own tutoring fee which -- overall -- ends up covering my medical, vision, and dental. It has great policies, excellent management that helps us with instructive email messages, and generally a collaborative work environment. I have been working with many firms, but I find Wyzant's policies to be superior due to their fairness and straightforward approach and the honest profiling. It surely offers highest-quality and largest teacher pool.
Pros
its prestige attracts good clients; self-management freedom
Cons
can't think of any cons
an exciting and challenging place to work
Tutor/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tazewell County, ILJanuary 22, 2019
I work with students who have problems as they are falling behind in the school work. My last student went from failing to an A in school after I worked with him. One of my adult students had a first grade reading level: yes, that was a challenge.
great
Assistant Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJanuary 17, 2019
great company to work for and great pay with flexible hours and schedule. meet many new people and help others succeed. great income on the side and fun work
Good place to tutor for side income
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 8, 2019
The website helps connect you to clients and they are soon going to alter their rate system so it moves away from a tiered system to a flat rate system.
self driven and independent
Economist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2018
Self-driven, productive and independence in choosing working hours. The company allows employees to manage themselves with systems put in place for self-monitoring.
Wyzant is no good
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2018
Wyzant is no good. Stay away because the compensation is simply not enough when you try to teach individuals who are not willing to put in the time to learn. You are doing their homework and at the end of the day its too much money on travel and time. You are staying usually longer than your requested time and there is no compensation in staying over the requested tutoring time.
They did not communicate well with me about my contract.
Tutor for Adobe applications (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 13, 2018
There was confusion about my contract and how students were to pay WyzAnt. My students were good students, and the tutoring environment was excellent at the library.
Good organization
Independent Professional Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
I have been a tutor with Wyzant for 8 years now and have no complaints. Staff are always receptive to suggestions, and almost always very polite and professional.
Pros
Administrative details taken care of by Wyzant, flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Students who don't follow up or follow through
This was an online service
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WINovember 27, 2018
The company seemed a bit fishy at times. I don't know if they made up clients to keep people interested or what exactly was going on. i asked, but would never get a response. The pay was horrible. The took way too large of a cut.
Flexible work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 19, 2018
Working at Wyzant is what you make out of it. Overall a great job, however it is difficult to get started and to find students initially. It would be great if there was more help for newer tutors.
Very good company.
TEST PREP INSTRUCTOR/TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2018
Wyzant Inc., is a wonderful company. The employees are well supported, talent is recognized and appreciated, and the terms of the contract are very good.
Pros
Mostly pros.
Cons
Tutor payment and company income should be sourced separately.
Excellent Broker for Student to locate & select their Best Tutor
Tutor/Consultant (Current Employee) –  AnywhereNovember 10, 2018
Tutors must pass tests before being qualified to teach their subjects, which increases confidence of students before they are empowered to select their best tutor - either locally in-person or online using the collaborative whiteboard.
Pros
Pre-qualified tutors deliver Quality Service
Cons
Wyzants approach is good But...
Tutor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
They do try to help_ maybe because they get a percentage. But they will refer you. Honestly, I have not been on their site in the past few days cause I need money. While I like the website and having my own personal webpage, I find it hard to get hired! The problem is that a lot of people who are asking for tutorial assistance are parents from out of state. As of yet, they are behind the times and would prefer their child being tutored face-to-face. Similar to the hours their little tyke sits in front of the Xbox? So right now I am a little disappointed with Wyzant Tutoring_ despite its potential.
Pros
Has a great set up.
Cons
Problem attracting students to site.
Secretive Business
Tutor (Former Employee) –  MississippiNovember 6, 2018
I was a tutor at Wyzant for a brief period. I completed the application, began outreach to prospective students and believed everything was working as I expected. Without warning the company suspends my application and states that my services are no longer required, like a prototypical firing in person. I ask for more information yet receive a canned response from the company stating I was in violation of a generic paragraph in the Code of Ethics.I was nothing more than a faceless cog in this educational machine. All the time and diligent effort I put forth to make the company better and improve my own teaching prospects relegated to politically correct garble. This company is ruthless.
Pros
Flexible schedule, personalized profile, individualized monetary rates
Cons
Secretive, deceptive, shadowy management structure, difficult to navigate policies
Great Side Gig
Math/Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  OKC, OKOctober 22, 2018
Started tutoring math and science as a sophomore in college. I was definitely nervous, since I had never tutored before. Although I had always done well in classes, I wasn't sure what to expect walking in.

I applied on several different tutoring websites, and definitely prefer WyzAnt. Compared to the other websites, I feel that WyzAnt doesn't take advantage students or tutors nearly as much. Starting out, they took 40% of my rate which is a lot, but I was still making more than the other websites were willing to pay me. In addition, their cut drops over time. Plus, my students were getting charged my lower, non-degreed rate that I set myself, rather than the $50+ per hour that other websites charge them. One such site charged their students $70 per hour then paid me $15.

The ability to tutor both online and in person is fantastic. I definitely prefer online, especially since they added tablet/touchscreen capabilities to their online platform. I did have to work hard to get my first client, since I was still a student myself, but once I had a few hours with that client requests came in faster than my crazy student schedule could keep up with!

That was three years ago. Now that I have graduated, I get client requests daily and I'm making decent money on the side of my full-time career. Could you make a living tutoring with WyzAnt full time? Probably. Although you don't get any benefits and steady, long-term clients can be hard to find. I 100 percent recommend WyzAnt to anyone looking to make some extra cash to afford their hobbies, saving for vacation, or
  more... whatever they want to spend their earnings on. Just be sure to set some of that aside for taxes, since you're responsible for those at the end of the year.  less
Pros
Convenient, Plenty of Clients, Fair to Clients, Great Online Platform, Set your own hours/rate
Cons
You're responsible for taxes at the end of the year, Steep commission early on
flexible work schedule
Tutor (Former Employee) –  onlineOctober 19, 2018
great for the person who wants to create their own owers and meet al lot of people. You are always learning on the job and it keeps you on top of what's new in the curriculum.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can run into challenges
So-so
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2018
When they have tutors set their profiles, they ask what part of town they would like to work in, yet when tutoring requests come through I still get ones that are almost 20-30 miles away! And I often get potential clients that have not completed their profiles or who do not send complete messages about what they are specifically looking for.
Pros
Can work at your own pace
Cons
Slow response time
Permanently banned for no reason
Tutor (Former Employee) –  HoustonOctober 8, 2018
I had a few students with Wyzant almost four years ago. One student suddenly decided to go against my policy and demand that I meet him with one hours' notice. When I declined, he reported me and accused me of missing a scheduled meeting and I was permanently banned with no investigation. I have tried to apply twice since and was allowed to spend several hours creating my profile before being automatically deleted. I have worked professionally with a private tutoring company for a year and have had a year and a half experience instructing a lab at a university since, both with an easily verifiable complete absence of negative feedback, and yet I am never allowed back on the platform again. This is absolutely absurd and among the many other reasons you shouldn't consider "working" for Wyzant.
Pros
Make good money until someone abuses the system
Cons
Everything else
This is a Cetified Tutor position
Certified Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2018
Management was very supportive and concise. Ratio of assigned work was accommodating and precise. My students were allocated in a professional manner and their outline of issues was clear and appreciated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wyzant. Our community is ready to answer.