Wyzant

Wyzant Employee Reviews

United States486 reviews

tutorstudentsubjectplatformpercentageonlinewebsitesession

Self-management

Great if one gets into self-managing. May have it as a job on the side still. In a big city, difficult with traffic and a strain due to that. Still, good for starting to learn how to run one's own business.

Friendly and professional

It is a reliable company with friendly and professional character, which provides plenty of job seekers to choose from both face to face and online. I have been tested and qualified to tutor over 25 subjects, including Algebra 1 and 2, physics, ACT/SAT testing, Electronic Engineering...

Pros

Flexibility on days and time

Cons

No health insurance

Wyzant insights

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

It is a very good way to earn extra money on your own time

The site makes it easy for tutors and students to connect, it does take a large part of the earnings though. Another issue is that the site does not allow phone number exchange before the client submitted payment info, and it ends up being the tutor's responsibility to tell clients to add their payment info to the site, which is often uncomfortable.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Part of the earnings that goes to the site

Wyzant Tutor online

This is an onlinen tutoring service, which is basically a go between customers and the tutor. It is completely system based so you will probably never speak to a human and most all processes are canned. It will be good for someone seeking flexible hours and work from home.However the company commission is at 25% so be prepared for that.

Tutor

Positive: you can do as well long as you are willing to put in the work and build up a client base.Negative: Generally end up working late at night due to how school is schedule

Flexibility and customized to better fit a student's learning needs

Great place to work since you basically select your students, give one to one tailored tutoring so that learning is maximized. The drawback is that clients also get to select your services, so tutoring jobs are not always guaranteed or available.

Pros

flexibility and pay

Cons

timing is variable, based on supply and demand, so jobs can be scarce at times.

One of the Good Ones

This was one of those jobs that you hate to loose because everything is there: open door policy, pay, work/life balance, etc. They treat you like an adult so there is no micromanagement.

This company is a good place to tutor part-time with the students you want to connect with and teach.

Wyzant is a business that allows its employees to pick and choose their clients as well as their own flexible schedules. I enjoyed working with students who wanted to do well in English, creative writing, and test preparation. I often worked with students who wanted to improve their vocabulary and syntax.

Pros

The ability to set your own schedule, hourly rate, and who you work with.

Cons

The amount of your earnings that is taken as compensation for their services is a little high.

Service and response are very quick and good

I have been working with Wyzant for 10 years and I like it a lot.Wyzant has lots of workshop and resources to help tutor to update and improve their skills and experience .

Not a long time option

This is a stop gap, supplementary or emergency employment option only. There is job serurity. No benefits whatsover. No help of any kind. The company only serves as a matchmaker of kind for tutots and students but that is it.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

low pay, few hours, no security, no benefits

Great

This was a nice place to work because you can set your own schedule and work when you want to. However there are no benefits so that part is a let down. Can be difficult finding clients sometimes too

Productive work

It’s a good point to start at. However, it doesn’t allow you to show all your skills. No one guides you as you aren’t connected to anybody because your work is mainly online

Independent Tutoring where you determine your own pay, hours, etc.

This is an independent tutoring job where everything is basically up to you. I have found assignments harder to come by, though, due to covid and an abundance of accredited teachers switching to online work, thus flooding the market.

Pay on time, gradual increase in percentagee

Activity runs hot and cold. I had jobs that lasted six months and others two or three sessions. Had a lot of activity when I first moved to Arizona, not much during 2020 pandemic year. They deactivated my online info availability without informing me. They reactivated it immediately after I called. I've made almost 10K over the years through Wyzant but still only get 75% of my fee. I've had to raise my hourly fee to get what I think I'm worth.

Pros

Pay ontime

Cons

Takes too long to get higher percentage of fee. Long periods with no clients.

Freedom, Flexibility and Lots of Fun.

Yeah,I love working with Wyzant.com because you get to choose which students you want to work with, you get to set your price and you get to set your hours too. So, you're basically, your own boss. It just like having your own business. You have the best of both world doing something you really love and getting paid for it. You can't get better than that.

Pros

Everything.

Cons

Few. Tech support is very, very good. I only wish that tech support was everyday, like on Saturdays and Sundays too.

The possibility to get students faster.

The good thing about Wyzant is the fact that it connects the tutor with potential students. The way of communication with students, submitting the lessons reviews is also pretty simple.But the compensation they pay the tutors is absolutely inappropriate and humiliating. They withhold 25% of the tuition fee the tutor charges the student, and then the tutor still have to pay all taxes. There is practically nothing left to sustain the living.

Pros

Indicated in my review

Cons

Indicated in my review

chill site for finding students to tutor

no extra benefits, just get referred to students. students must pay through the site, and wyzant keeps 25% of your chosen rate. online platform is provided for tutoring, but you can also just use zoom.

Pros

flexible schedule, hands off

Cons

no benefits whatsoever

Good for temporary or flexible work

Wyzant is flexible and you can choose the hours you want to work and the students you work with, but it can be difficult to obtain students. The technology on the website sometimes had issues but overall, it was user-friendly and practical to make appointments and schedule lessons.

Pros

set your own hours and pay

Cons

no benefits, independent contractor

Flexible scheduling but takes about 25% of your hourly pay

It's a really nice side tutoring job to have that is flexible to work around your schedule. Only issues are sometimes scammers end up in the system or the messaging and videocall features stop working, which makes it extremely difficult for student and tutors to communicate and have a quality session.

Pros

Flexible, accommodating, many student requests

Cons

Takes 25% of your hourly pay and system breaks down sometimes

It's a good place to pick up tutoring experience and get paid right away.

I'm still fairly new at Wyzant. There are plenty of students, and tutors create their own schedules. I have no contact with the other tutors or anyone in management. The main downside of Wyzant for me is the hefty 25% the company takes off the top of the tutoring fees. Yes, we set our own fees. But higher fees = fewer students.

Supportive workplace

Have a great platform for online tutoring and they make sure you receive your quoted pay. Answer all questions and are helpful when they have issues with the online portal.

Pros

Take care of all pay issues

Cons

Do not always have jobs available

Common questions about Wyzant

Answered by current and former employees at Wyzant

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wyzant. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits