Wyzant
79Above average

Wyzant Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA7 reviews
Great if one gets into self-managing. May have it as a job on the side still. In a big city, difficult with traffic and a strain due to that. Still, good for starting to learn how to run one's own business.
Managing at Wyzant is really useful and friendly.
Report required for each week of tutoring is enough clear for both clients and tutor; also, the report allows to document the learner progress and given additional homework.

Payment, as a rule, tutor receive as an electronic transfer on time.
At WyzAnt you're an independent contractor. You set your rate, but WyzAnt takes a big chunk of it (though the chunk lessens over time). The web site has an easy user interface.

Your reputation depends on the reviews of your clients.

I was a math tutor. I have a strong background in math and did not have problems handling atypical math classes/assignments, but my clients complained that other tutors were not prepared for such classes. A tutor said they 'knew' algebra for example, but struggled with a unique algebra honors course the client was taking. That algebra tutor had to have passed Wyzant's algebra test (which you can only take once by the way), but the test does not encompass all that algebra can be.

I loved my clients and the reason I left was to pursue a degree. I still think about my clients and hope they are becoming successful mathematicians!
Pros
You set your own salary and your own hours.
Cons
There are no real benefits. If you do in-home tutoring there's a lot of driving.
It's a good start for professionals who would like to work from home with no stress and no pressure.
Pros
you are your own boss.
Cons
you need a second job for living
I started with Wyzant about a year ago. I initially found them in an effort to supplement my income. I like having the direct deposit, and everything is very well organized on their website. Of course they take a percentage of your hourly rate, but that is quite understandable considering that they provide the venue to find new clients. In less than a year, I was able to increase my percent take back to 75% which is pretty great, considering it was a second job.

Now they are starting to offer online tutoring, which I also think is a great idea, because it will allow me to use my time more effectively and tutor right out of my own home.

What I enjoy the most, is that I improving other's education and teaching them new things that they might not have had the chance to do in school. Moreover, it also helps me improve my own skills that I probably wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, because the best way that you learn is by teaching others.

I've never had any issues finding new students, so all in all, I don't really have a bad thing to say about my experience with them.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, great pay
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Great company. You can find tutoring jobs in your area from their website. I wish they would increase compensation for tutors, though. Easy payment (direct deposit to checking account). I've always been paid as promised on time for hours tutored. Easy website - very user friendly!
Pros
Lots of jobs!
Cons
Compensation is too low for private tutoring
Great Tutoring company! Very responsible, very helpful staff.
Pros
flexibility, very responsible, great students
Cons
no health insure