Wyzant Employee Reviews for Tutor

Great Place to work
Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2019
Great place to work. The customer service is wonderful. They were able to answer all my questions and give me the right solutions. I will recommend them to other people.
Fun place to work
Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  South Salem, NYMay 30, 2019
I have enjoyed the flexibility in my own scheduling and the extra money I have earned with this company. Tutoring via this platform helps to pay the bills.
Pros
Flexibility in my own scheduling
Cons
not enough hours
Company terminated my tutoring profile without warning or discussion
Tutor (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 26, 2019
After years of working with Wyzant, they suddenly terminated my tutoring on their site. They wiped out away my profile, without warning or discussion.
Pros
Ok for short-term temp work.
Cons
Not good for trying to build your tutoring business, company doesn't care about its tutors, they take a big chunk of the money you earn
A tutoring Company?
Freelance Tutor of Math/Science (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2019
I was a senior math tutor at wyzant (4,000+) hours before termination. Termination, was because I helped a student for a take home exam!
Why else would they hire a math tutor.
Pros
Your Own hours
Cons
No job security!
I was a tutor for the company
tutor (Former Employee) –  fort lauderdale, flApril 19, 2019
First, I filled out the things I was interested in tutoring and the locations, but I'd get people from all over wanting tutoring. Not close to me. Then, parents would book and not show or show up late. I felt like the leads I got weren't legitimate. The company takes way too much of the hourly wage you charge. The tutor is doing all the work plus driving, and they should take a smaller cut because of this.
They do offer an online option, but they still take a big cut.
Pros
make own hours
Cons
the comany takes too much of the hourly wage; few kids to tutor
Not Productive or Inclusive: Random cancellations
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2019
The company is unfair and not inclusive. My account got canceled for no reason nor was I given help once I called to try and fix the errors with my account.
Easy way to find Students
PRIVATE TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Madison, ALApril 10, 2019
I found that I could get more work than I wanted through Wyzant. They were good at providing a method for tutors and students to connect. They provide an escrow type service for payment from student to teacher that protects both.
Overall satisfaction with working there
Tutoring - Private (Current Employee) –  Melbourne FLApril 7, 2019
I did not work at Wyzant. I did - and am still doing - referral work with students I locate using W yzant's search and referral facilities. I am very pleased with their system.
Pros
Fast referrals
Cons
Never know why student did ot select you
Good to start, but no opportunities to grow
ONLINE TUTOR (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 28, 2019
Worked there for a couple of years. Tutors are independent contractors, so no benefits. You can set your own rates but the percent they charge both students and tutors have been increasing continuously. Also lack of transparency and communication.
Tutoring at Wyzant
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYMarch 27, 2019
Students game the system: they will give you a poor rating to get a free hour, or if you refuse to allow them to plagiarize your work. No reviews for the student, only the tutors; therefore, you will never know if the person you're dealing with is serious about learning or some slacker. This tutoring business model attracts the scammers because it's so easy to get away with the aforementioned behaviors. Management seems more interested in keeping the student ($$$) base than serious tutors. Been treated unfairly by a student, and you have no recourse to correct the situation! There is all the impetus in the world to play the Wyzant system and its tutors. I put off trying one of these online tutoring services for a long time, and it did turn out to be a waste of time and energy. I have too much integrity to collude with lazy students who want to plagiarize work, instead of real learning. This is why America has such a low educational rating in the world. Plagiarism pays.
Pros
Decide your own fees
Cons
Wyzant fee too high, few students, tutors are always wrong
Best Option for Tutors
Independent Tutor (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 24, 2019
I currently do part time tutoring for three companies and Wyzant is by far the most rewarding. Online is picking up interest with students and for the most part I think it may be more effective than face to face tutoring given that the session can be played back via the Wyzant Online Platform. By setting my own rate I make on average more than double the miserly $15 per hour rate other tutoring companies offer. Also, as around 80% of my students are online, I can schedule sessions close together with no travel time or costs.

Getting the first client is the only hurdle, after that, I have found that there is actually more opportunities than I can handle with my desired schedule. I retired from teaching last May, and Wyzant has been a great transition for me.
Pros
Flexible, Better Pay than other tutoring companies, Great Online Platform
Phishing schemes abound
Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineMarch 18, 2019
Don't waste your time with this site. If you're serious about becoming a tutor, you would be better off applying to a local agency, or even advertising on social media.

The only "student requests" you'll get via this site are scammer messages. The messages are nearly identical, and will often ask you to teach something vague or unrelated to your topic. Wyzant has been alerted to this since a while ago, and yet the spam persists.

Scammers ask you to contact an email outside Wyzant, after which they'll reply with a request for your phone number, address, or other sensitive information. NEVER fall for this, and if you do get on this waste of internet space, never contact those outside emails in the first place.

Here is a sample message (of many) I've received:
"Hello' i need you to tutor my son Name on drawing, you contact me on scammeremail @ gmail.com thank you..."

All grammatical errors that occur came with original message, and were often repeated with the name/email/subject swapped out.

Additionally, Wyzant's online tutoring service is an absolute bust. It doesn't work on most browsers, and crashes regularly anyway.

Wyzant may say that you need to bring in an audience from outside social media to thrive, but if you're doing that anyway, there is absolutely no reason to use this untrustworthy and neglectful site. Just tally your own hours and make your own forms if you want to go freelance. Or you can apply to local tutoring agencies/after-school programs if you don't want to handle paperwork.
Pros
Cons
scams, low student traffic, poor video call support
Good side job
Private Tutor - Part-Time (Current Employee) –  CTMarch 9, 2019
Its good for a side job. Pay is decent as you set your own hourly rate and work for yourself which is nice. The review system after each lesson works great. It is competetive but that probably makes it better.
The hardest part of the job
In person tutoring (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, Az.February 4, 2019
Many parents and students contact me for tutoring, but less than 40% follow through with actually scheduling a tutoring session. That is the most difficult part of working for Wyzant. No other comments.
Pros
Make your own schedule and set your own fee.
Cons
Following through with communication from students and parents is a challenge, because many do not communicate past the initial contact.
Great for independent contractors (tutors)
Tutor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 29, 2019
I have selected "Benefits" too in this review even though I have worked only as an independent contractor with Wyzant, for almost 10 years: the benefits are the freedom to set my own tutoring fee which -- overall -- ends up covering my medical, vision, and dental. It has great policies, excellent management that helps us with instructive email messages, and generally a collaborative work environment. I have been working with many firms, but I find Wyzant's policies to be superior due to their fairness and straightforward approach and the honest profiling. It surely offers highest-quality and largest teacher pool.
Pros
its prestige attracts good clients; self-management freedom
Cons
can't think of any cons
an exciting and challenging place to work
Tutor/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tazewell County, ILJanuary 22, 2019
I work with students who have problems as they are falling behind in the school work. My last student went from failing to an A in school after I worked with him. One of my adult students had a first grade reading level: yes, that was a challenge.
Good place to tutor for side income
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 8, 2019
The website helps connect you to clients and they are soon going to alter their rate system so it moves away from a tiered system to a flat rate system.
Wyzant is no good
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2018
Wyzant is no good. Stay away because the compensation is simply not enough when you try to teach individuals who are not willing to put in the time to learn. You are doing their homework and at the end of the day its too much money on travel and time. You are staying usually longer than your requested time and there is no compensation in staying over the requested tutoring time.
They did not communicate well with me about my contract.
Tutor for Adobe applications (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 13, 2018
There was confusion about my contract and how students were to pay WyzAnt. My students were good students, and the tutoring environment was excellent at the library.
Good organization
Independent Professional Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
I have been a tutor with Wyzant for 8 years now and have no complaints. Staff are always receptive to suggestions, and almost always very polite and professional.
Pros
Administrative details taken care of by Wyzant, flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Students who don't follow up or follow through

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wyzant. Our community is ready to answer.