Wyzant logo
Wyzant
Happiness rating is 82 out of 100High

Wyzant Employee Reviews for Tutor

Self-management

Great if one gets into self-managing. May have it as a job on the side still. In a big city, difficult with traffic and a strain due to that. Still, good for starting to learn how to run one's own business.

Pay on time, gradual increase in percentagee

Activity runs hot and cold. I had jobs that lasted six months and others two or three sessions. Had a lot of activity when I first moved to Arizona, not much during 2020 pandemic year. They deactivated my online info availability without informing me. They reactivated it immediately after I called. I've made almost 10K over the years through Wyzant but still only get 75% of my fee. I've had to raise my hourly fee to get what I think I'm worth.

Pros

Pay ontime

Cons

Takes too long to get higher percentage of fee. Long periods with no clients.

Freedom, Flexibility and Lots of Fun.

Yeah,I love working with Wyzant.com because you get to choose which students you want to work with, you get to set your price and you get to set your hours too. So, you're basically, your own boss. It just like having your own business. You have the best of both world doing something you really love and getting paid for it. You can't get better than that.

Pros

Everything.

Cons

Few. Tech support is very, very good. I only wish that tech support was everyday, like on Saturdays and Sundays too.

chill site for finding students to tutor

no extra benefits, just get referred to students. students must pay through the site, and wyzant keeps 25% of your chosen rate. online platform is provided for tutoring, but you can also just use zoom.

Pros

flexible schedule, hands off

Cons

no benefits whatsoever

Good for temporary or flexible work

Wyzant is flexible and you can choose the hours you want to work and the students you work with, but it can be difficult to obtain students. The technology on the website sometimes had issues but overall, it was user-friendly and practical to make appointments and schedule lessons.

Pros

set your own hours and pay

Cons

no benefits, independent contractor

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Flexible scheduling but takes about 25% of your hourly pay

It's a really nice side tutoring job to have that is flexible to work around your schedule. Only issues are sometimes scammers end up in the system or the messaging and videocall features stop working, which makes it extremely difficult for student and tutors to communicate and have a quality session.

Pros

Flexible, accommodating, many student requests

Cons

Takes 25% of your hourly pay and system breaks down sometimes

It's a good place to pick up tutoring experience and get paid right away.

I'm still fairly new at Wyzant. There are plenty of students, and tutors create their own schedules. I have no contact with the other tutors or anyone in management. The main downside of Wyzant for me is the hefty 25% the company takes off the top of the tutoring fees. Yes, we set our own fees. But higher fees = fewer students.

Supportive workplace

Have a great platform for online tutoring and they make sure you receive your quoted pay. Answer all questions and are helpful when they have issues with the online portal.

Pros

Take care of all pay issues

Cons

Do not always have jobs available

Great!

No benefits but no boss either. Make your own schedule and make your own way. I would not have survived 2020 if not for WyzAnt. Working from home is amazing.

Wyzant simply efficiently facilitates tutoring.

I work from home, or I go to a student’s home, or we meet in some other place like a library.Wyzant allows me a great deal of freedom in my work. Any time I’ve ever had any problem, Wyzant has been very helpful. I set my own pay scale, and the company takes 25%. My pay comes regularly and dependably the week following my documentation of the tutoring session(s). While I’ve never met a Wyzant worker, I feel secure with the company. They’re there for me, and I’m grateful, with no complaints at all. I love Wyzant.

Pros

Dependable

Cons

None. It’s a well-run company with a good reputation all around

Loyal to Wyzant, they do take a big cut though

I have had a great experience tutoring with Wyzant. They offer a great online tutoring platform that has been so critical with Covid-19, and they are generally supportive and helpful in troubleshooting problems. They offer solid ways for tutors to build their reputation and advance themselves and they do a great service connecting me with students all over the country. I think them taking 25% of my tutoring fee is a little high, but for all the services they provide me it's pretty worth it.

Pros

Excellent support and friendly newsletters, Excellent online tutoring platform, great job connecting students with tutors, now that I'm a 5 star tutor with 100+ hours the students come to me.

Cons

They take 25% of what you charge clients, It takes a long time to build a strong reputation with them

Interactive and result oriented

Not much of a workplace since you are tutoring students individually on your own time. Most enjoyable part of the job is tutoring and interacting with the students.

Perfect for Self-Employment

I started tutoring Statistics, Math, and Physics on Wyzant on February 2021 and it has been a success for me. Although they do retain 25% of your pay, it is still worth it. Plus, I can literally take the work with me whenever I go anywhere

Pros

Opportunities to make money

Cons

It is self-employment so don't expect any benefits

Was a good company until 2021

I work as a tutor with Wyzant since 2015. I loved the fact that tutors could fix their rates. For years the low average was $35. The incentive when I started was that the more you were working with them, less Wyzant was taking on your rate. Basically, you were starting with them taking 40%, then after 100 hours working with their students, they would retain 35% for the platform fee, then 30%. I think the lowest they would take was 15%. Well, after some years they decided to change the rules and to fix the rate they take at 25% for everybody! It was just when I was supposed to reach the 20% platform fee. Moreover, the algorithm always made it very difficult to have new students. Even if your reviews are excellent and you work all the time with them and answer very quickly to job requests. A good point is that if your student cancels at the last minute the lesson, you are free to apply cancellation fees which can be the whole hour scheduled with your student. However, these last months, I noticed that students request very low rates such as $15 or $20 per hour. I checked online and saw that Wyzant was advertising these fees! I checked the sales benefits of Wyzant for 2020 to see if they suffered from the Covid 19 pandemic and they report record-breaking growth. I noticed as well they do not expect their new tutors to have real credentials as it was before. It means that you are competing with people without real credentials who are ready to teach for very low fees. Regarding the support from Wyzant, all these years, I tried to communicate with them to share with them the improvements -

Pros

freedom, paid quickly

Cons

high fixed platform fees (Wyzant retains 25% of tutors' fees), very difficult to have new students, job requests are asking for much lower fees than before.

Great Tutoring Site

I've tutored with many sites, and through a college and Wyzant has definitely provided the best experience for me so far. They do take a 25% cut from your overall tutoring charge, but scheduling is easy, students and teachers can find each other without much difficulty, the messaging system is quite convenient, and the record-keeping is good. I don't love the online tutoring platform part of the site, though, so I tend to use Zoom instead of their lesson platform. Otherwise though, Wyzant has been really helpful!

Chill Side-Gig

This is a chill side gig, I tutor English language/literature, history, and French. Unless you're good at math or computer coding, I don't really think you can make this full-time, but if you're looking for a good side hustle and are not in a time crunch, it's quite nice! You can choose your students, your hours, your rates, etc., although bear in mind Wyzant takes 30%--so I charge $29/hr but I only actually am paid $20.30/hr. That's pretty good to me though!

Pros

Ease of working hours, rate control, etc

Cons

Inconsistent, can be hard to find students

Very fine online platform with many features, very good services for student and tutor

Wyzant has a huge number of tutors b/c their system is excellent, so - when you start out it's your job to sit at your computer and chase job postings - they're snatched up quickly. Wyzant tutoring is a very satisfying and happy job. The slight downside is that Wyzant's commission is 25% of your fee - for me, that means that after taxes I'm clearing only 1/3 of my posted fee.Check your "Lessons History" often - extremely rarely a client will unfairly give you a fewer-than-5-stars rating and you need to void the lesson within 2 weeks (and forfeit the fee) because poor ratings drop you significantly in search results. Read other tutors' profiles to see how they present themselves - parents are looking for qualities in a tutor they don't always expect from a teacher.10+ years with Wyzant have taught me: Online clients: Communicate by Wyzant message only and don't use or post your last name.In-person clients: Use you last name and expect clients to provide theirs - and always have an adult home and within earshot when you tutor.Wyzant's extensive name-recognition is a definite "plus"!

Pros

Easy to use platform with great features, excellent record keeping, outstanding support services

Cons

Wyzant takes 25% commission

Good Place to work at your own pace

In general I have had a good experience with Wyzant because they give the tutor the flexibility to work at your own pace and expertise, they are a conduit for students to find the tutors and the rest is the work of the tutor to keep working and expanding the clientele. The one downside is that if you move your profile will go to the bottom of the line and it is very hard for students to connect with you, no matter how good your review was somewhere else.

Pros

time flexibility, you determine your fee, the % they keep is not too high

Cons

Hard if you move to find students, needs to adapt faster to the competitors.

Difficult to Get Jobs

really impossible to get tutoring positions, once you start getting some you can get more. But when you apply to online/ in person jobs, people barely ever respond

Productive and fun.

I enjoy teaching ,creating my own curriculum and being my own boss, so this is a great fit for me! This company is pretty good with productivity because they have good customer service which keeps the customers and the tutors happy!

Pros

I can work my own hours

Cons

No benifits

Sometimes it's rewarding and sometimes not

I enjoy tutoring most of the students. They're appreciative and earnest in their desire to learn. My only gripe are people who want something for nothing. They don't want to pay for tutoring and even when they have had a good session they demand their money back because of the good fit policy. They slam the rating just because I don't provide free tutoring. Wyzant does not allow an appeal for a bad rating.

Pros

Set your own hours and rate.

Cons

Wyzant takes a hefty percentage. Clients think you make the full bill rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wyzant. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Wyzant with

Career recommendations for Tutor

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Wyzant