Wyzant Culture reviews

Fun workplace
French Tutor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is you do your own schedule. You meet student from different level. It is a fun job if you want to make some money on the side.
Pros
you meet people from different cultures
few job contracts
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 23, 2018
no supervisor assistance. few jobs. cuthroat culture. audio/visual issues. severe connection issues. I have recived no feedback on my employment and no raises despite excellent reviews. I would not advise working here.
Fine in a Limited Sense
Tutor for Hire (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 9, 2018
You do get to work with students individually, which is fine. However, there are many prospective clients who do not follow up well. It is merely so-so.
A Great Opportunity for Tutors Starting from Scratch
Accounting Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2017
Wyzant is a great opportunity for tutors building up a business. It takes time, and it takes patience, but after a year of tutoring one or two students every two or three months, assuming one provides great service and great results, they will start getting more inquiries, to the point where it will be a viable business opportunity.

There are many tutors on Wyzant who make a great living doing extremely rewarding work. There is something money can't justify when a student tells you, "I failed my first two tests and may not have graduated from college, but thanks to your tutoring, I was able to pass with a B and get my degree!"

If that sounds like something one would like to do with their life, Wyzant is a great platform to start out. Just understand, they take a fat cut off your hourly rate, and if you don't perform, you will not be successful.

That said, the risks and costs have been well worth it for me.
Pros
Cons
self determined hours, self determined pay scale, self determined culture, self determined job function, only limits are market forces, high percentage fee split with Wyzant (but worth it)
Ok
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 9, 2017
Great autonomy, but don't like how they take 20% commission. Also it would be great if they could create better tools to keep in contact with students.
Excellent resource for running a Tutoring business.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2017
Wyzant helped me get my foot in the door in what has become an extremely competitive field in the Houston, TX. area. With the wide variety of cultures and extreme competition in scholastic achievements and many foreign students with language challenges, Wyzant is a frequented website in search of qualified Tutors. The company business model convenience and reliability of pay is key. They hold you to a high level of accountability which I feel they reciprocate. The website and app management is friendly and the support quick and friendly as well. They reward loyalty, consistency with visibility and pay percentage increase. Flexibility is wonderful, I work where when and with whom I choose.
Pros
Flexibility, Reliability, Support, Pay, Friendly
Cons
They take a large percentage, but yours grows quickly and the start pay is up to you. Local Travel required.
Great Students and parents
Wyzant Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  East Providence, RIMarch 19, 2017
I have not have any issues with my clients, who are as eager to learn as I am to teach them. I am able to set up my class plan well in advance, and after the first meeting, I have an idea of the learning goal.
Great supportive tutorial agency to work with.
Professional Spanish Language Coach (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2016
This is a great company to work with because they are super supportive and do an amazing job with the marketing!

Every call answered and never a question goes unanswered!
Pros
Rewards system
Cons
Absolutely none!
Good
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Time, ILOctober 18, 2016
This is just a part time online job to help students but i am looking for a regular job full or part time.

The company is very easy to work with and working with kids brings a great deal of satisfaction to me. I love helping kids.
Very fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCMarch 18, 2016
Very fun place to work but quite challenging. The management was great because they pushed you to be a better person as a tutor.
Great Company
Tutor/Test Prep Instructor (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 19, 2015
WyZant allows one to create that pillar of success that one desires. The company works exceptionally well for self-directed self starters. It gives one an opportunity to assist students and adults reach their fullest potential. You are the captain of your ship.
Pros
Flexible sceduling and ability to help others
Cons
There really are none to include commission that must be earned.
Fulfilling an enjoyable Work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 10, 2015
A typical day involves meeting with perspective students and discussing learning plans, lessons structure, due dates, and assessing what their weakest areas are so I can better understand how to help them and what they need.
Enjoy teaching various students privately.
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Getting to know student and her family. Help her acclimate to US culture. We discuss differences between her home culture and ours.
Pros
schedule classes individually with each student
Cons
never interact with employer
"unqualified" with Ph.D in my subject (Former Employee) –  AZNovember 25, 2014
Bull. They can't evaluate a tutor because they are married to their clicky-clicky culture. The outstanding and over-qualified have the same chance to tutor here as the incompetent 20 somethings.
Pros
xx
Cons
xx
You set your own schedule and choose your own clients
Summer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 20, 2014
I had a good experience working with the few clients I had, but the opportunity for growth was very limited. People who had teaching degrees and such were at an advantage in the amount of clients they would get, and the more clients you had the less money the company takes from your payment. Basically, if you don't have many clients you must pay for your own transportation and you can wind up making very little.
Pros
autonomy, flexibility, free business cards
Cons
competitive, paid only based on commission, company takes large a percentage of your pay
Quite fun when set up properly
Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineJuly 27, 2013
Tutoring is fun, when I am able to be set up with someone that is able to understand, reach goals, and is willing to improve.

I look forward to tutoring more in the future.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
My lack of effort in finding jobs
Excellent Business Model
Alg 1 & Geom., Spanish, English, & SAT Prep Tutor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2013
I have been an active tutor with WyzAnt since August, 2012. They have been great! The site provides thorough guidance in developing an effective profile page, determining a competitive hourly rate, and making the most of one's tutoring sessions. I have the freedom to select the students with whom I want to work, the distance that I want to travel, and the subjects that I prefer to teach. Best of all, I do not have to deal with money! The WyzAnt team arranges everything.

Giving up 40% was a bitter pill to swallow in the beginning, but that first 20 hours flew by. I just recently went over the 50 hour mark and now I keep 70% of my rate. I think the service they provide is worth it. I go to the site 2-3 times per day to check mail and to view client tutoring requests. I love my students and I always try to give excellent service. If they live too far away, I suggest meeting halfway at a library or other quiet, but public venue. I have had terrific results with that approach.

If you are considering becoming a private tutor, I highly recommend checking out WyzAnt. I have recommended the company to many of my friends, both locally and out of the area.

I couldn't be happier with WyzAnt!
Pros
WyzAnt handles all the monetary transactions between the tutor and the student.
Cons
Distance mileage information between Tutor and Student seems to be based on zip code, not street address, If the zipcodes cover large areas, your travel distance could be double what is indicated in the Client Request, This can be bad, with gas prices so high - cuts into profits and time!
Freedom to set your own hours
Tutor, French, English grammar, proofreading (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesApril 3, 2013
I like working with WyzAnt so far. The reason I signed up is to have the security of knowing that the financial piece is taken care of for me. My students are awesome, and it is fun to work one on one with them. The hardest part of the job is the travel, especially in an urban setting.
Pros
set your own hours, working with great people.
Cons
no health care
A place where one must be independently driven, since it is basically a website for independent tutors
Part-time home tutor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 20, 2012
I will generally travel to my student's houses for lessons, most of which last 1 hour. I tutor almost 20 subjects so the material I am working with varies, as do the number of hours that I work a week. There is no management so to speak, only some conditions which must be met in collaboration with the website. There are no co-workers either. The hardest part of my job is finding the right place to begin with each student, but I have gotten the hang of that. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the students and the satisfaction of helping and being appreciated.
Great way to work PT
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 30, 2012
I enjoyed working with a new people. I enjoyed meeting people from other cultures and traditions. It was rewarding to see progress in my students. The management was excellent.
Pros
excellent pt job
Cons
self employed can be difficult