Wyzant

Wyzant Employee Reviews

United States495 reviews

tutorstudentsubjectplatformpercentageonlinewebsitesession

Self-management

Great if one gets into self-managing. May have it as a job on the side still. In a big city, difficult with traffic and a strain due to that. Still, good for starting to learn how to run one's own business.

Usually pretty solid work

Wyzant takes a bit of a good chunk of earnings, but it is convenient using their site for safety and security. Overall a good work experience, would recommend to most.

Wyzant insights

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

WyzAnt experience

My experience was very good, you can make your own hours. However, some clients may cancels on arrival, then tutor may lose pay. It is not stable job, it is good for students or as an additional income.

Good company to work for.

Generally a no problem company. You are as good as you are. They don't trouble employees. You can choose your schedule. There is transparency. Overall quite good.

Pros

Problem free work environment.

Cons

None in particular.

Wyzant Tutoring

Potential tutors are shown to students seeking tutors. A great company to work for and I have used them for my own family. Tutors can meet students at their home or the Library, etc.

Successful ELA Tutor

WyzAnt is a remote company that sends potential students from kindergarten through college to an email address. It is at my discretion whether or not I choose to work with a student. WyzAnt has expanded opportunities to work remotely. Currently, on their website I show up as a tutor earning $70/hour. Again, I am free to adjust my hourly rates.

Pros

Set my own work hours

Cons

No benefits as a freelance tutor

Private tutor

You set your own hours and hourly rate. No review needed. You are an independent contractor. You either use or don't use the company for a part-time job. No raises unless you give yourself one.

Great way to tutor.

I always loved tutoring with Wyzant. I was able to work with students and parents not only on a schedule that worked for me while I was in college but also on subjects I really loved teaching.

Not bad for extra money

pretty good extra money, depending on your rate/time of year work can be busy, usually tutored 3-5 hours a week, most of the time you'll get inquiries from students but they'll stop following up, can be frustrating/may need to also signup for additional tutoring websites to get enough clientele

WyzAnt tutoring

Tutoring for WyzAnt assumes you know the material and are you willing to travel to a student's location to tutor them. I had to prepare 4 templates for each of the 20+ subjects I am tutoring, one each for: in person tutoring with confirmed payment, in person tutoring with unconfirmed payment, online tutoring with confirmed payment, and online tutoring with unconfirmed payment. I must check every morning to see if there are any jobs to respond to. When a tutoring location is beyond my 10-mile driving radius, from my home, I charge $1.00 more per hour, but I must get them to accept the augmented rate before I tutor them. If the student does not like my service, they may rate me less than 5 stars. If that happens I ask them why they rated me less than 5 stars and ask them to increase their rating of me to 5 starts. If they will not change their rating of me, I cancel that job, lose the money for that job, and try to keep my overall average rating as high as possible. I only tutor new students for 1 hour the first time we meet, so as not to lose more money for a bad rating. I have several students that continue year to year but there are always those students and parents that want 2 or 3 hours on the day before a big exam, which is too-little too-late and I'll probably get a low rating, so I prefer 1- 1 1/2 hours per day and 2 - 3 times per week, so that we can go over all the material the student covered in class, and to make sure they can do all their own homework. Do Not Do the Student's Homework For Them! I must write up a summary of the things I did with each student -

Pros

make my own hours, set my own rate

Cons

need management and computer skills

Great company, well-developed app

The app is easy to use for searching for and booking jobs. I seemlessly transitioned from tutoring in LA to Chicago when I moved and found new clients right away. I love the ability to tutor online or face-to-face, and easy to become qualified in a variety of subjects. I recommended to another teacher friend who now uses in Boston.

Pros

App, volume of available jobs

Cons

Pay takes time to increase

Love Wyzant

I like WyzAny because the really provide me with the opportunity to help others express themselves musically. I love the feeling I have after every lesson.

Pros

Set my own rate

Cons

High Percentage cut

Excellent referral service.

WyzAnt does a great job in connecting tutors with clients, providing enough information to let each interested party know if there is a good match of skills and availability.

Pocket Change

WyzAnt is good for pocket change.. Although I had a good Tutor rating on the site, students were far and in-between. This company is good to work for if you are student looking to make extra cash, or as a side job.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

Not enough students to tutor on a regular basis

Independent Contractor for Wyzant

Wyzant allows workers to work as much as they want, as long as their profile is attractive and the tutor is willing to find more students. It is a very flexible job and I highly recommend it to college students, as it keeps their knowledge base fresh (if they tutor in their field) and allows them to focus on their studies whenever necessary. Breaking into the company is difficult due to the 40% cut the company receives at first, but the more you work, the smaller the cut they take. The hardest part of the job for me was balancing the schedules of my students, their families, and my schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students get through plateaus, get into their dream school, or saving their grades or semesters.

Pros

Flexible schedule, high hourly rate

Cons

No benefits or stability

Whatever You Put In, You Get Back

Since Wyzant is a contract based company, it depends how much effort you put in to find students and set up lessons. Wyzant has a payment structure so the more lessons you complete, the more money you get. Do your research before you get set up with them.

You set your hours but it may be difficult to find clients

The good part of the job is that you are an independent contractor. The con is that you may not have a client in a year or two. It is difficult to make a living doing this job.

Pros

Independent contractor

Cons

Slow. It's difficult to depend on this as a means of livelihood

Freelance Tutoring

Good for freelancers company takes a cut. Not easy to get enough clients.Able to choose who to work with. Premium may give more access to jobs. Not steady employment.

Wyzant- Self Employed Tutoring Service

Self Employed Tutoring Service. Students are obtained from Wyzant website which is user friendly. Has given me the opportunity to work with multiple personalities and persons of different backgrounds.

A great website to find a tutoring job

It is well thought and well-done website to find an opportunity as a tutor. I recommended to my friends and family and they really liked it! They do the background check which is very important and it cost me only about $8.

good money

its a good part time job! its good for high school and college students but it is not reliable as a full time job because the student may cancel classes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wyzant. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits