Xanterra Travel Collection
63Average

Xanterra Travel Collection Employee Reviews

United States674 reviews
Park Wide Painter
Fun company, good experiences in great locations. Great diversity and meet people from all over the world. Seasonal employment with chances to work in more locations and additional positions if desired.
Encouraging Management
Throughout my time at Xanterra, my main compliment to the company is their management. I worked in three separate departments and every supervisor I had genuinely wanted to see me succeed both within and outside of the company.
Beware of the messy lies
If you choose to work for this place, please please don't take their housing. Housing is the way they have TOTAL control of you. Management and HR only care about each other and bonuses.
Want favoritism? You got it!
Working a long time in my field and get fired due to negligent managers, disregarding their "open-door" policy, giving you bad housing where food can be stolen out of fridges willy-nilly, and favoring bad employees and disposing the rest like last months magazine. I will say the good is you live at the Grand Canyon, I mean who wouldnt want to live there! Just make sure you know what you are getting ...yourself into
Experience you’ll never forget
You get to work and interact with guests and associates from all over the world. You get to live and work in a place people dream of visiting. You live minutes away from spectacular things. Working in Yellowstone is something you won’t soon forget
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Its fun to work in a national park
Show up to work on time and you can get promoted. Housing can be unsatisfactory. Pay improves substantially after a promotion but base pay is very low
Pros
Living in cool places
Cons
Pay isn't great
Not Good
I worked for Xanterra for 16 years and it is one of the lowest paying jobs I have ever had with no support or adequate training and just mean people. The corporate office is most responsible for the bad behavior. They encourage it with bonuses for coming in low on budgets. Directors flourish while other parish.
Love/Hate
My coworkers and bosses were amazing people who helped as much as they could. There is definitely a camaraderie between departments and work sites. It makes working better, but as a house keeper you're gonna be in for some long days. Old Faithful Inn has about 300 rooms and less than 30 house keepers. If you finish your list of duties you have to go help other people finish. It's not bad when the other people are working , but you're gonna find that one a-hole who goes as slow as possible and you're honestly better off throwing them in the geysers
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Xanterra Travel Collection?
relaxing, multitasking, and lovely environment
I met a group of wonderful people here, and greeted many people from all over the world. It was an unforgettable summer PT job for me. If you are looking for temporary job in summer, I would highly recommend here.
Worked with great people in a fun environment.
A typical work day involves opening the garage, preparing cashier stations, counting safe monies, giving breaks, working cashier stations, getting change for cashiers, data collection, solving guest complaints, helping cashier with issues and answering guest questions about the monument.
great place to work
you get excess to the park, drive is beautiful, it changes every day , you start early get off early to visit the park,it's a challenge every day to drive the roads putting up with people,animals, narrow roads,weather, and the beauty
Yellowstone is awesome
One of the best place I have ever worked. I love Roosevelt lodge that will be the only place I go if I do go back in the future. All the people I met there are awesome my staff what a great bunch of people.
There are only 2 good things about working for this company in Yellowstone
Management would clearly have a favorite and approve their day off requests but not everyone else's, very short lunch break for the amount of staff on break at once, all complaints get documented then ignored, I personal was moved into a room upstairs and we had a bus of new employees get placed into the same dorm then had a WEEK notice to have all employees relocate due to asbestos, mold, and renovations.
Pros
New friends, exploring the park
Cons
Short lunch, no breaks (unless you smoke cigarettes), no care for employees wellbeing
nice area. never been to a national park before
work was easy once i learned the ins and outs. management was great. got to meet fellow co-workers from other parts of the u.s. and overseas. made a lot of friends over the years working there.
Amazing experience
This was my absolute most favorite job I've ever had. You will leave with more than you came with, and have a richer life because of it. Take a leap!!
Pros
Great money, even better people.
Cons
Not much sleep between dinner and breakfast, but if I can do it, you can!
Very diverse
I have been racially profiled on a daily basis and received death threats. I was uncomfortable and unhappy spoken to management about it but found they promoted much of the abuse.
Do not bother, if you do talk to current and former employees
The company is losing National Park contract due to its poor management. My last season there we found black mold and asbestos in all the employee dorms! The management cabins were no better, black mold, falling apart, poor maintenance.
Pros
Not the parks this company manages
Cons
The people you meet, Nature
Working for Xanterra
Do you want to travel to national parks and see new parts of the country without spending too much? What about taking your time to see the sights around you instead of cramming it into a few vacation days? This is a way to do it. I felt as if I was being paid at a fair rate. I made a ton of friends!
Location where I worked was fantastic because it was in Yellowstone
Their security procedures and policies are decades behind the current times. The attitudes of most senior management is that, THIS IS YELLOWSTONE AND THAT NEVER HAPPRNED HERE!. The management staff, excluding my immediate supervisor, all have terrible attitudes towards improving any type of security at the park and therefore made my job feel like why was I even there with the experience I have in this field.
Nice team work. Excellent managers. Happy place beautiful wild Country, and the wild life was fantastic. The food was good and the place was clean. Lots of activity for staff to plan trips around Yellowstone, had a great time.
I worked at yellowstone
When I worked for Xannerra I moved up very quickly but i expect that to be because I am a white male that is good at what he does. Also I speak English and it appears that they only promote people that have good English. Obviously.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xanterra Travel Collection. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight