Xanterra Travel Collection Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun experience
Park-Wide Painter (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYAugust 14, 2018
Xanterra is a decent company given the places you will be working. I worked in Yellowstone in the summer of 2014', it was the BEST thing i've ever done.!
Pros
Environment/Co-Workers
Cons
Ruins any other work experience you'll ever have after
great place beautiful views
Line-Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  south rim of the Grand CanyonAugust 8, 2018
I started out there as a prep cook in about a month I went to a cook 3 then in a few months I went to a cook 2 ,in about a year I was a cook 1 . and able to live by myself . no roommates
Pros
cheap rent an utilities descent pay. good friends and co-workers
Cons
as a cook i could never have hollidays off i had to work. so i couldnt go see my family
A good company for all aspects
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Coconino County, AZAugust 5, 2018
All in all, everything is great. As an oversea student employee, I felt the friendly welcome from the people from the USA, Thank you for that!
Pros
dorms are provided
Xanterra
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Estes Park, COAugust 3, 2018
I worked with Xanterra off and on for several years. It allowed me to travel to many amazing places and meet many amazing people. I throughly enjoyed my time there.
Beautiful location; horrible Company
IT Manager II (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZJuly 31, 2018
Sum it up in one phrase, that you can ask any current or previous Employee; and they will know what you are referring too.

"XAN-TERRORISTS"

To this Company, you might as well be a prisoner. You will never be more than a Employee Number to them, as they have been sued and burned so many times by Employee Recommendation letters, that the Company refuses to give out ANY feedback about ANY employee.
You worked there from Blank date to Blank date; this is your Employee Number.
Forced Housing at the Grand Canyon.
Bids for Concessions, and Government shutdowns made this place horrible to work at.
Pros
Grand Canyon Arizona
Cons
Horrible Company
Ok.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
It is ok. travel is fine. Not much review.It is ok. Boss is friendly. coworker is nice. distance is a problem. I am fine with everything except small mistakes.
Pros
friendly
Cons
no friendly
Terrible Experience
Laundry Attendant- Finish Floor (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MTJuly 19, 2018
I worked in one of the most beautiful parks/places in the U.S. for three months, but barely got to see it because my job overworked us daily. The laundry facility was poorly managed. The workers were blamed for structural issues that we could not change. Workers were worked until they were injured. The environment was stressful and not positive. We were not compensated appropriately, as in our overtime and other compensation was constantly missing.
crazy but fun
cook 3 (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJuly 18, 2018
People are constantly changing positions or quitting, a lot of coworkers from all over the country and the world. It's a lot like a college environment. HR treats the employees like rowdy kids.
Pros
meal plan and cheap housing
Cons
you don't choose your hours and hr is not great
multiple culture with international co-workers
Host Restaurant (Former Employee) –  WyomingJuly 10, 2018
nice atmosphere to work with cos i lived in Yellowstone National Park
with multicultural people. It made me excited all the time but the manager there had two standard between Asians and Western. Im not OK with it
Pros
good dorm, nice veiw
Cons
bad management
Reservations
Reservations Agent and Campground Lodging (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJuly 10, 2018
Although I would recommend working for Xanterra, it is not for the fact that I admire the management or corporation as a whole. I worked for a season in order to see Yellowstone National Park.
Pros
Working in a beautiful place like Yellowstone.
Cons
Bad managers. Bad pay.
Never again
Porter at the Old Faithful Inn (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJune 30, 2018
Poor housing, food makes employees sick, poor guest care, poor staffing choices, poor management, disregard of environment and surroundings.

NEVER work for Xanterra. Other concessionaires are available in the same locations. Employees are treated badly in every imaginable respect.

I worked at the Old Faithful Inn, a beautiful historic landmark smack in the center of Yellowstone. The building had begun to suffer due to lack of care. Trash was abundant. chemicals were dumped down drains or simply outside. Guest damage to the building was unrepaired and unenforced.

I loved that building and the park, and did everything in my power during my time there to take care of it. Heartbreaking to see the company allow it to fall apart.
Pros
Beautiful Surroundings
Cons
Literally everything else
Awesome management, excellent corporate vision and mission statement
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williams, AZJune 25, 2018
Although this job was minimum wage, the company culture, vision and mission statement were excellent. Management tried to give employee incentives, but the best part was management was always open and willing to employee communication and extremely willing to work with employees on any issues they might be having.
Pros
excellent management, corporate vision and mission statement
Cons
minimum wage
Xanterra parks and resorts
Cook/Janitorial (Former Employee) –  MontanaJune 19, 2018
this is a beautiful place to work especially if you want to enjoy the outdoors and meet new people. I personally enjoyed all aspects of this job and if I ever have the opportunity to go back without hesitation I would and I would recommend this place to any and everyone.
Pros
great place to work overall
Cons
N/a
Great company for traveling.
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJune 19, 2018
It was a fun job to have and a hard job to leave. Once you adjust to having all of your bills(food, electricity,water) automatically taken out of your check, its hard to readjust to a normal society of paying bills.
Pros
everything automatically comes out of your paycheck before you get paid.
Cons
its a seasonal lifestyle
They have a indoor pool
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lore City, OHJune 8, 2018
A typical day at work would be to open the store and wait for customers to come into the store and try to sell to them. It wasn't always easy but it wasn't always hard.
Pros
Some days you would meet very wonderful people
Cons
some days people would scream at you
Working hard pays off
Head Restaurant Chef (Former Employee) –  WyomingJune 6, 2018
Xanterra was an experience unlike any other. I worked in YSNP for 3 seasons. You have to like college dorm style living but advancement was easy. It is very diverse, people from all over the world come to work there and you can make so many connections for future endeavors.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not having a kitchen and living space
It's a cultural Melting Pot you meet so many fun people and I love it
Server (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJune 2, 2018
You meet so many fun amazing people. people you would never meet ever in your life and it's just amazing and fun I would recommend it to anybody and everybody to try once at least once in their life. The pay might not necessarily be the greatest if you're not a server but the friends that you make in the places that you see it's worth it in spades. The food and the lodging are taken directly out of your paychecks as well
Pros
The the people in the places
Cons
The food kind of sucks and you live in a dorm
Don't stay in the company housing
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  White City, ORMay 31, 2018
The summer I worked at Crater Lake was probably unique because all of the management either quit or got fired at the beginning of the summer, so I basically didn't have a manager the entire time I worked there.
This didn't make things better though, because no one had a manager, and so bad employees went on working there wayyy too long and it brought on a lot of stress for the good ones that were trying to do a good job.
Also, the employee housing got a bed bug infestation and had to be fumigated in the middle of the season and everyone got their housing paid for because of that. It didn't help much though because there were 4 people to a room, and these rooms were only like 80 square feet big. You had a bed and a wardrobe at the end of it and that was it.
Great Place for a Short Stay
Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia Falls, MTMay 21, 2018
As with most Park Concessionaires, the pay is low and the work can be extremely busy in the operating season. The year-round staff is mostly friendly and the office environment is good. There really is no where to progress within this office since year-round jobs are limited. Majority of hiring is for seasonal workers.
Pros
Access to Glacier National Park, Good co-workers
Cons
Pay is low
Xanterrible
Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190May 20, 2018
I worked in Yellowstone National Park for a summer season at Xanterra. I will start by saying the job was not bad but management is inadequate because they only promote people who stick around for a couple of seasons so they are not real managers. They also rob their employees. They provide living quarters and horrible food for around $400 a month per person. They provide shotty wifi in the dorms but I lived in a cabin and had no wifi but was still billed $20.00 a month for it and was told there was nothing I could do about it. They employee dining room was laugh worthy because you are primarily fed fried things. They have a salad bar but the location I was at did not due to it being broken so our options were cereal or fried foods. Then they have these "bars" where most employees go and spend their entire paycheck so Xanterrible gets their money right back. Pay is also garbage unless you're a waitress or waiter then you make more than the location managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xanterra Travel Collection. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight