Xavier University Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Controller's Office (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 26, 2018
I had high hopes to achieve a degree as well as professional growth when I entered into XU. The Management lacks professionalism and drive and make it very clear that you will not use any decision making abilities there.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Poor Mangement
Dysfunctional
Finance (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 16, 2018
Dysfunctional disorganized chaos. Poor management. Lack of leadership. Horrible work ethic from management. Free tuition and very accepting of non catholic religions
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Low pay
Poor work-life balance
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 22, 2018
Intentionally hire the least possible number of employees.

Expect employees to tough out a frustrating environment since benefits are very good.

Limited opportunity for growth.
Pros
Retirement, Tuition
Cons
Work Life Balance
Nice faculty lounge
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 9, 2018
The department chair was very supportive and sympathetic. However, I was somewhat disappointed in the student body. Having taught a mix of students from various age groups, I found it hard to teach all eighteen-year-olds.
Pros
Nice faculty lounge Picturesque campus
Cons
Students all the same age
Service Learning Course was extremely beneficial and taught many skills
Quality Management and Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 6, 2018
This course, Quality Management and Process Improvement at Xavier University, allowed Seniors to work at a Federally Qualified Health Center. This experience allowed students to work with providers and patients, as well as required individual and team work. This course also taught many skills regarding quality improvement and different ways to identifying areas of improvement.
Nice place to work.
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 31, 2018
You work check residents into the dorm and assist the residents with their needs. I checked in packages and received mail daily. Answered phones and wrote reports every shift,
Disappointed
Staff (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 30, 2018
I expected and hoped for more from my experience at Xavier, given their reputation in the community. I worked with good people and appreciated the flexibility I had.
University Environment
Adjunct Professor, Executive HR Development (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 9, 2018
I am an adjunct so this is ;not a full time job. The pay is aligned with the weekends that I work there. Being a Jesuit University, I feel the environment is very relaxed and welcoming.
Pros
University
Cons
Only adjunct
Wonderful place to work!!!
Alumni Office, Admin/ Marketing (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 4, 2018
I feel very blessed to have worked at XU. The pay was not very good at all, but my daughter received 90% off her tuition and only had a small loan to pay back after graduation. I had many great friends at Xavier, which I still keep in touch with. Hence, it was a good culture.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the managers and co-workers help and friendliness.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
Good place to work. Leadership is lacking.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 25, 2017
After 3+ years in a full time position, it was reduced to part time. I was told by the administration that they were unable to find funding - even after this situation was brought to light more than a year prior. Obviously I pursued other career opportunities and was fortunate to land a better gig. Interesting that I now see my position posted about 4 months later as full-time and a higher level... I guess they found the funds after all?...

It was a nice place to work but leadership is severely lacking. Those in charge do not care about petty things such as finding adequate funding for an essential position; rather they waste years on developing “innovative” methods (smoke and mirrors) in an attempt to bring in more students, and not utilize resources and people already there.

It would have helped if my position was properly funded from the start by those who created it and not cobbled together from various funds and areas which would eventually expire.

If you end up interviewing or working here, make sure they can verify your position is properly funded.
Pros
Nice campus, friendly coworkers and students, decent benefits
Cons
Underpaid, poor leadership on College level/Dean’s office, poor interdepartmental communication
Adjuncts are not paid very well, and no benefits as PT employees
Adjunct professor, Williams College of Business (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 22, 2017
Adjuncts are not paid very well and receive no benefits as PT employees, but adjuncts do have a great ability to work without close supervision. That is all.
Pros
Low key academic atmosphere, at least as far as adjuncts go
Cons
Not really integrated into university life with teaching classes in the evening
Fun place to be
Captain of team and communicate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 27, 2017
I went to school at Xavier University and enjoyed every minute. I did not work here nor got paid to do anything so I do not really have an opinion on that.
Pros
Good Place
Cons
Humid at times
Decent place to work
Groundkeeper Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 26, 2017
Upper management is not very good but most of the people who work there are awesome. Not a bad place to work but sometimes it gets frustrating dealing with higher management
It's a Hit or Miss
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 2, 2017
I enjoyed being a Resident Assistant because of my coworkers and supervisor. If I was in any other residents hall, I probably would have not enjoyed it.
Nice place if you want to stay in the position forever
Program Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 28, 2017
Good place, will work with you with life balance. Not much room for advancement unless you have a degree in higher learning. Will educate their staff but does not want to promote within.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
Does not give 40 hour a week/Will educate their employees but does not want to promote within, high cost for medical dental and vision insurance
Great University
Adjunct Professor, Music (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 30, 2017
Xavier is a great place to work as a full-time or adjunct professor. I can't comment on any of the hundreds of other positions; I've only taught there.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay and benefits if you are part-time.
A job not a career
Police (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 9, 2017
This place is definitely not my last stop. I do not see myself retiring from here. There are way too many politic issues as well as personal within different Departments of this place of employment. The pay is really bad as well not the worst but I've seen much better at other places.
Xu
Events Coordinator - Cintas Center (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 30, 2017
I enjoyed going back to my alma mater to work when they built the Cintas Center. I worked with a great group of people and it was fun to get that building up and running
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Undergraduate research assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 28, 2017
Rare opportunity to gain research experience while an undergraduate student. Highly recommended
Great school lacking senior leadership
Director for Prospect Research and Discovery (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 16, 2017
The university has a great mission and really does care about it's students. However, senior leadership is lacking. The President is disengaged and allows his senior team to grind all decision making a halt over petty arguments.