Xcel Energy Employee Reviews

Senior Enterprise Architect (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 15, 2018
The politics can be rough, but the rewards are great. The culture is respectful. They listen to your concerns and take them seriously. The outcomes are rewarding.
NOT great
Load Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 8, 2018
It was a difficult environment to work in while I was there. The manager already had her foot out the door and there was a lack in specific direction for all working under her.
I worked on a Windows XP to Win 7 migration - Contract
Sr. Systems/Business Analyst - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 7, 2018
I worked at the nuclear facility in Monticello. Great group of people and with a small town feel. The culture was a great fit for me. Nice drive away from traffic.
Pros
People are very friendly and top notch on security and work place safety.
Cons
Don't forget your security badge.
it's who you know
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Henderson, COOctober 6, 2018
managers leading groups that have never supervised in their lives. not so good. no education, at all for most of the middle and some of the senior leadership. show up with a couple degrees & experience and you're a threat - especially if you're a minority.
Productive place to work
Project Coordinator, FasTracks Project (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COOctober 5, 2018
Xcel Energy has been a very productive place to work it is a very customer oriented and very enjoyable to work for this company they are a very close nit community and are very giving
Safe, Productive, Fun place to work.
Troubleman (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 30, 2018
I did enjoy my time there and would go back. I enjoyed all the people I worked with and management was good to work for. The only thing i did not like was the schedule i only had one weekend off a month.
good place to work
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 29, 2018
helpful employees that trained workers on what to do and how to do it, very knowledgeable co-workers. the only problem with working there is that there is no job advancement
Na
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 24, 2018
My contract with Xcel Energy does not allow me to provide ANY company related information to the general public on its activities, employees, or salaries.
Good Company,and employees
Customer Service Associate II - Full-time (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 23, 2018
Loved my job, the better you did the more praise, bonus and pick your own schedule. Very laid back, with lax dress code. They had food days often, hard to stay healthy.
Pros
Hours, employees
Cons
irate customers, busy
Fantastic Opertunity
Transmission Financial Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 23, 2018
This work experience ranks as one of the best I have ever experienced. My manager was a subject expert, strong leader, and very personable. My team was very intelligent, driven, and supportive.
Amazing coworkers and amazing experience
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Prairie Island, MNSeptember 18, 2018
Loved my internship so much, I learned more than I ever thought possible. I loved the flexibility of my work schedule. Some days I was in the lab, some days I was out on the river and some days I could work from home. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye at the end of the summer!
Pros
Reimbursements (mileage, food), good experience, very smart and helpful coworkers
Xcel Energy has an old school culture with overly defined career paths. Its a great company for people specifically interested in trades.
GAS FITTER APPRENTICE I (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 18, 2018
Xcel Energy has 2 specific sides of the company, union and administration. If you pick one, you typically have to quit to move to the other side. There are a small percentage that move after years of investment. If you are over qualified, you are considered a threat to line level management. As a result, there are some toxic political games and the management from line level to Director positions is typically unqualified and under developed. At my last position, there was a significantly unethical nepotism problem. In essence, if you weren't drinking buddy's with one of the family members, your potential for being successful in your position was dramatically reduced. Xcel is not the worst company to work for, but they are in need of serious cultural changes.
Pros
pay and schedule
Cons
management
Productive Work Environment
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 13, 2018
Xcel Energy is a very productive workplace with an extremely strong safety culture. Priorities align to improve our overall performance to allow us to strive to be the best in class.
Mechanical Engineering Internship
Mechanical Engineering Intern, Nuclear (Former Employee) –  Red Wing, MNSeptember 6, 2018
Interning at Xcel Energy challenged me everyday to learn and grow. The experience gained from working at the plant allowed me to expand my knowledge of engineering immensely while being productive for the company.
perks,programs,friendly,driven environment,erogonomical work area
Outbound Credit Collection Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 4, 2018
I made anywhere from 80 to 100+ outbound credit collection/courtesy calls to customers a day. I had to cure accounts either by collecting full or past due balances, set up pay arrangements etc. Educate customers on products and services the company offers. Collect money and Customer Service.
Pros
customer appreciation and inncentives
Cons
pay was too low
Management has no concern for the health or wellfare of their employees.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 4, 2018
If you do not answer enough phone calls as fast as you can your are warned. If you take a break at the wrong time, you are warned. If you take a phone call and the person on the other end is foul, you are warned. Not a good environment.
Productive and fun work place.
Foreman/Operator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 30, 2018
A typical day would include an early morning meeting discussing the day and the specific job. We would arrive to the job site, review our prints and start work. We would excavate and drill for future gas and powerlines. The most enjoyable part of the day Is when you have a safe and productive day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Okay company to work for
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNAugust 23, 2018
I would recommend this company for anyone. It is okay to work for and the employees make it fun. Management is okay and could use some improvement as does management in any company.
Poor salary and benefits
Associate II (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNAugust 23, 2018
Very high deductible heath care plan and poor wage compensation. Currently working 5 hours per week mandatory overtime (so working a 6 day week)..That's it.
Pros
Co-workers are nice and friendly
Cons
healthcare
Excellent Compensation.
Operations Supervisor, Civil Construction TCLO (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNAugust 21, 2018
Typical Work Day = 12-16 hrs

Mid level management is nearing retirement

This company has two types of workers... Office & Field. Office workers have it made. No travel, regular days (10hrs) and the same compensation.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Work Life Balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xcel Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

53out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Xcel Energy.

Powered by Comparably