Xcel Energy Employee Reviews

Very Poor Culture
Senior Associate, Gas Operations (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 18, 2018
I was so disappointed with Xcel. I took a contract position to get my "foot" in the door only to find that the advancement opportunities were non-existent. You were advanced based on who you knew, not what you knew. Employees were placed in management positions who had no experience managing and made it difficult for everyone in that department.
It's an ok place to work at
Systems Architect/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 17, 2018
Very standard, typical workplace. The office environment was pleasant and had just the right amount of structure. There really aren't any standout pros or cons.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Good Company but it depends who is your manager
LEAD BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2018
Xcel is a good company. Most of the employees I met there worked in the company for more than 10 years. The company offers opportunities for advancement and have a good talent retention strategy. However, unfortunately, had a very bad manager that was not professional and very reactive, so I decided to leave my position.
Love my team
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 15, 2018
I love the department that I support. It is more of a family than it is co-workers. They are very supportive and we all work together to solve any unforeseen problems.
Great company
Admin Asst to Directors, Utility Accounting (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 12, 2018
Great benefits and work environment. Some great management at high levels.

The best part of the job was the people. Very professional and hard-working, friendly. Long-term job security. Great retirement benefits and medical and dental insurance plans.

High expectation for job performance. Employees must learn about the energy industry, but training is provided. New employee orientation provided in Minneapolis, MN for all new employees.

People tend to stay in jobs. Often very little upward mobility.
Pros
New office building
Cons
Downtown Denver, no parking benefit
great place to work
PS Architect, 14 months (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2018
Great place to work. Open culture. Many opportunities for advancement. Multiple locations to choose from. Denver and Minneapolis are lower cost locations.
New office building with a variety of people with varying amounts of experience
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 1, 2018
A good mix of people across multiple teams in the CFO organization each bringing a mixture of talent, value. The utility industry is a niche industry.
Pros
Unlimited coffee, opportunities to work remotely if needed
Cons
None at this time
Well run company with great management and challenging work.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 30, 2018
Well run company with great management and challenging work, and productive team environment. I had the opportunity to learn new technologies like SharePoint and Nintex.
Productive pleasant place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 30, 2018
Enjoyed working there hardest part was the on-call status throughout the storm season. Most enjoyable was talking to new people everyday from different parts of USA
Worked at a Power Plant
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNApril 30, 2018
Interned at a power plant and it helped me discover a career in the energy field. My supervisor made sure I was exposed to different power plants in the fleet and encouraged that I learn as many systems I could.
Challenging Professional Environment
Principal OD Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 28, 2018
Xcel provides opportunities for professional growth by maintaining a fast paced, cutting edge environment constantly challenging it's people to the highest standards of professionalism. While this facilitates skill enhancement and phenomenal career and personal growth it does not promote work life balance. The culture tends towards elitism and hierarchy is very important. This is not openly espoused, but the patterns contribute to cross functional and vertical communication barriers impeding organizational performance. As an OD professional breaking through these barriers to penetrate the culture is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable aspect of my job from an OD perspective is the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues doing innovative, challenging and meaningful work. It has truly stretched me in cultivating my professional skills
Pros
High level of professional exposures, knowledge, learning opportunities
Cons
Little work life balance, high deductible benefits plan
OK place to work
Fleet Asset Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mpls MNApril 27, 2018
I was a consultant at Xcel. The position was temporary. Some of the consultants have been there for several years. I needed a commitment. The hours were good and the people were VERY friendly. Overall, a good place to work.
Cannot provide a review summary
Information Technologies Security Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 26, 2018
I was a contractor that worked remotely; therefore, I cannot provide an accurate or constructive review. The only feedback I can provide, it was extremely difficult to progress with projects within Xcel due to their processes and procedures.
xcel
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 24, 2018
I liked the business but thought the values were misplaced a little with what they thought was important. I would think customer service would come first and they placed a lot on a survey that the customers took and I didn't feel that was worth a whole lot.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
survey
Customers extremely cranky
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 23, 2018
It paid very well, but was hard to deal with the customers at times. There were great benefits, and good coworkers. Managers helped you if you needed.
Stats
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 18, 2018
Stats seem unrealistic. Hard to obtain. The customers are mostly rude. Alot of information to take in.

Other employees seem great for the most part. Great company overall.
Pros
Get ur own desk
Cons
Stressful
Administrative staff treated poorly
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 17, 2018
The administrative staff are treated like serfs. They are the only job category of jobs not included in the bonus pool. Administrative staff are eligible for "spot on bonuses" but no one has every actually gotten one. The pay is very low comparatively.
Great benefits and salary
IT Security Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 15, 2018
Working at Xcel was on of the best paying jobs and bonus base is not BS. The only thing that I did not like was the lack of consistency in the way leaders communicated expectations to employees.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Communication
Meter reading
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Pampa, TXApril 14, 2018
Reads and records electric meter indexes into a computerized handheld system.

It's not as easy as it sounds but once you learn how to read the different types of electric meters it becomes pretty easy to do the job.
Very stressful / cut throat
Welder (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2018
The company seem to not care about retaining employees and do nothing to encourge there employees about working here. The question that is never asked is what can I do to help you but why are you not able to complete the tasks assigned to you.
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xcel Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

53out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Xcel Energy.