Xcel Energy Employee Reviews

High Stress Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Call Center personnel- this is a fast-paced, high stress, competitive position. It is the perfect job for persons who thrive in that environment. It is certainly not for everyone. I left the company due to the health issues that arose while working there.
Pros
You get to talk to a variety of people.
Cons
Highly stressful.
Disappointed
Safety General Foreman (Compliance Officer) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJanuary 10, 2019
I had a conflict with my manager which could not be resolved by my continued employment, I used the proper chain of command at every level to get the concerns addressed, I made every effort to resolve the issues and concerns I had to the satisfaction of all involved, but was not able to find a common understanding and I left the company
Dead end job
Project Analyst (Executive Support) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2019
Although I loved working in my office, there was no advancement opportunities so I had to move on. The hardest part was leaving my team. We were like a little family.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No growth
Professiona Environment
Senior Nuclear Materials Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2019
I found my contribution to be valued and appreciated the projects that I was assigned to. I was looked upon as a respected professional on day one of the position.
Pros
good pay, working enviornment, benefits and pension program
Cons
None really
A day in the life at Xcel
Operations Scheduler / Project Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2019
Xcel Energy is a great company to work for as they believe in customer safety as well as giving back into the community. The benefits given to employees is great and we are well taken care of. I think the one thing that I would like to see changed is the culture for internal advancement. Promotion process has alot of red tape and the benefit to the employee is not beneficial. If you want to be promoted, it is better to quit and reapply, your salary compensation will be higher than if you moved around internally.
Great company
Call Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 1, 2019
Great company to work for. The call center position can be a thankless job at times, but the company treats it's employees well and there is no worry of downsizing.
Pros
Room for advancement
Xcel is a Great Company
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 31, 2018
Xcel is a great company to work for. The benefits are great and the quality of people is second to none. I recommend the company to anyone. There are really only positives on this company from my perspective.
Old Fashioned Utility Company
GIS Technician III (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 29, 2018
Lots of focus on safety and on keeping things running. There is however little coordination between the different departments and the focus on promoting from within means a limited pool of potential managers. Overall a good place to work, workers are valued. However the company needs to invest in technology as it is falling behind the times.
Pros
On site cafeteria
Cons
Outdated equipment
Overall, a decent place to work
Data Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Henderson, CODecember 27, 2018
Job role is stable in that they need me to do the same thing every day. Not a lot of potential for growth that I can see. Most people are content to stay in the same role for years. Comfortable job but not if you are looking to advance your career.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Large corporation that takes a lot of time and energy to make any changes
Manager Heavy
Senior Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 26, 2018
Way too many managers looking over the minions. Every manager wants the work done a different way. You cannot please anyone. Very frustrating. The supervisors all are scared of the managers, and you know that stress runs downhill!!! The only saving grace was being Union.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Benefits are not so good. Management awful.
Hard Job
Transmission Apprentice Lineman (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 19, 2018
Granted I worked the hardest job they have, Transmission Lineman, so the review is going to look weird. Yes long hours, yes overtime packages were above industry standard. However; underpaid for position in region. They took more health benefits away in order to pay more. Health benefits were already kinda slim. Good culture, but their Texas SPS region sucks.
Great place to work!
Manager, Electric Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 12, 2018
Great place to work! Great people to work with and fair pay for most positions. Very stable company with an over all good work environment and work life balance.
Results oriented
Work Order Specialist (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 7, 2018
Old company culture. Moving toward newer culture. Company-wide, there are many locations through out the United States. Good or Bad company experience varies greatly depending on what department you are working in.
Cons
No benefits
Varies by department
Finance (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 7, 2018
Some areas are fantastic to work in with great people and opportunities for career advancement. Other parts of the organization have poor leadership and rely heavily on outside consultants to drive the organization.
Pros
Decent Salary and Benefits
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement
My opinion
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNDecember 1, 2018
I feel they could be more family orientated. Some of the straining staff are inefficient and rude. They should take they time to get to know their employees a bit more personally.
Good learning environment
GeoSpatial Mapping Technician (Former Employee) –  Hennepin County, MNNovember 26, 2018
You learn a lot in this environment. My supervisor was helpful with anything I did not understand. However, as a contractor, it is difficult to be absorbed as FTE.
I enjoyed the flexible hours as a part-time employee.
Credit & Collections Clerk (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 26, 2018
If I had been able to purchase another vehicle, I would never have resigned from this job. Enjoyed the flexibility afforded to me with a part-time position. The job training was par for the course. I enjoyed the people I worked with.
Pros
Paid training.
Cons
The benefits given to full-time employees were not available to part-time employees.
Great Company, Lousy Leadership
Sr. Project Manager, Data Center Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 16, 2018
Interviewed with 2 Individuals who advised of work location (Remote), that changed within 2 weeks after hire. Interviewed by Individuals who were not even my direct Supervisors. Supervisor I ended up working for had no management skills
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Leadership
Always busy. Always learning new things. Very competitive. Have to make allot of quick decisions.
MILLWRIGHT (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 14, 2018
Depending on the status of the plant the daily routine could be more challenging. Communicating clearly made for a more successful outcome when dealing with tense situations. Also giving praise to employees for a job well done went a long way with good attitudes and employees willing to go the extra mile for you. The work place culture was one of team work and desire to excel at their jobs as well as safely and looking out for their coworkers.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours, and the condition of some aging equipment and trying to make it operate.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing employees having pride in themselves when they did something the thought they couldn't do. Also the comradery was amazing when it came to working out situations.
Pros
Had safety recognition celebrations and rewards, Holiday Meals, letters of recognition in personnell files.Great benefits with health, and PTO
Amazing workplace
Accounts receivables/customer service (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 13, 2018
A typical day could get hard but not because of any fault of the company but the customers would sometimes be going through hardships. I learned to be prompt, reliable, integrity, to work hard, and that the big company cares for the little guys accomplishment. Management was down to earth and treats you like a friend when they can. The culture their is amazing and everyone cares about each other so much. They offer coffee, a huge break room, and a gym to all of their employees. They also offer and mentor you on a regular basis. I loved the fact that they reward you for your hard work as often as they can.
Pros
rewards for hard work
Cons
if you are ever late you receive an occurence after being five minutes late three times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xcel Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Xcel Energy.

Powered by Comparably