Xcel Energy Employee Reviews

Contracted employment
Light clerical (Former Employee) –  Welch, MNMarch 19, 2019
Xcel Energy is a great place to work depending upon where you want to be in your career. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with my coworkers. If I drove or didn't live so far away, I'd want to work there on my own.
Pros
Fun feeds
Good pay and benefits
Sr. Material Category Strategist (Current Employee) –  COMarch 8, 2019
Basically a large construction company

Huge on Safety

4 weeks PTO on day 1

HDHP Insurance w/ Cigna - Health Savings Account

Promotions if in operations
Pros
Pto, Pay, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Lack of direction - my group anyways
A great place to work
Talent Management Technical & Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 6, 2019
Xcel Energy, although a regulated industry, strives for consistency and diversity, as well as encouraging the advancement in learning. Daily routines provide a structured environment with some opportunities to work on new projects. Management reflects a power distance dimension, which is expected within a regulated industry. Traditional workplace culture. Limited creativity in the role except within areas of streamlining and advancing work processes or new project assignments. The environment of working together as a team reflects a positive atmosphere and opportunities for growth.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Limited remote possibilities
Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 5, 2019
I've been working for almost 14 years at Xcel Energy, and I had the opportunity to grow inside the company. Great place to be. Compensation is fear. Stable company.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Going to a two year college instead of a four year college
Rush Creek Wind Project (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Limon, COFebruary 28, 2019
When I first walked in to the lay-down yard my co workers that were engineers looked at me differently because i was only in a two year college but then they soon realized that I was more educated then they expected.
Pros
I got more respect
Cons
I got judged
Xcel Energy
Sourcing Specialist IV/ Travel Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 28, 2019
The job is good and you can work from home but they contract out most of their staff and never hire from within. As a contractor there are no benefits, raises or time off.
Xcel New Mexico
Lineman (Former Employee) –  New MexicoFebruary 26, 2019
Dangerous unsafe work environment. Poor pay. Good old boy cronyism. Poor training. Arrogant ignorant leadership. Save yourself the time and bypass Xcel in the southern United States.
Pros
Newer equipment
Cons
Poor safety, excess hours, terrible leadership, dangerous work environment
Not the worst, but its still a call center
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 19, 2019
We all know call center life is a life of boredom, burnt coffee, and an insane amount of snacking. You'll love the people you work with, but maybe not the people you work for.
Fast paced. Great benefits.
Customer Contact Agent (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 19, 2019
Benefits great. Awesome discounts. Good manager. Fast paced. Makes sure employees gets rest. Open communication. Over time can be killer. More pros then cons.
Old school ideas and mentality
Mechanical Engineer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 7, 2019
Worked in the Energy Supply group as an engineer and got great experience. Old way of thinking, hard to get promoted when they say, lots of work load and not a lot of support. Learn quickly in a sink or swim environment. Great job security and benefits.
Pros
flexible schedule, travel to plants, complicated hard projects
Cons
no advancement, lower than standard pay, large corporation when upper management doesn't care about you
Excellent place to work at
Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 5, 2019
Great company to work with.Excellent team work. Will enjoy working with the company as a team not as contractor. will recommend Xcel energy to others.
Not the best company
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 1, 2019
This company was the most corrupt culture I ever worked for. You are a number and make money. Ask for a raise and they will say they can’t afford it. The company is greedy and will undercut its employees left and right. The working environment is toxic and it’s like a mean girls club and men will act like they are in a frat and not respect the outcasts. You will be working 70+ hours no matter what corporate position your in or a leadership role. Everyone I’ve known has left here or absolutely miserable .
Cons
Greed, culture, environment
Awesome Gym to work in.
Rehabilitation/ Director (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJanuary 30, 2019
I loved managing the business. The people were great. I just didn't like the fact that our checks would bounce sometimes, and I would have to pay the employees with my money. I did all the hiring and firing.
Pros
Loved my kids, and families
Cons
no real breaks
OK for the pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 29, 2019
They actually pay ok and the job isn't too tough. There could be more support from management to other than "do better" like maybe how to do better. There is always something going on and they have Thanksgiving and Christmas catered meals which is a great touch
Good
Journeyman electric meterman (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 28, 2019
Good company with excellent people to work for. Always looking out for those in need and making a difference in the community. Great people and great place
fast paced, stressful enviornment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 25, 2019
Worked in the Customer call center. We had to meet a quota of calls per day. We were monitored weekly. The company did offer great benefits. Learned how to deal with customers and offer solutions to their billing and order questions.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful enviornment
Contractor tired of waiting for benefits
Electric Distribution Designer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 23, 2019
Currently employed as an Electrical Distribution Designer as a contractor. My day consists of working at my cubical in the Distribution Division of the Chestnut Service Center in Minneapolis. I respond to emails and calls from customers and developers regarding their current and future electrical projects. Meeting customers in the field takes up a lot of the day but its my favorite part of the job. My ideal job would have a mix of 60% field work, 40% office and this job comes very close. The hardest part of the job is prioritizing the jobs that come through. Most often priority goes to the party that is angriest and threatening to jump the queue. I work with a solid team of designers with various levels of experience and background and I get along with my Manager. More importantly our manager goes to the mat for us and his design team.
I have become far more knowledgeable on electric distribution systems and a project manager without the title.
I would like to continue my career at Xcel Energy, however, it is difficult to stay as a contractor with the same workload as those who receive benefits, sick time, paid holidays and vacations.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, good coworkers
Cons
No benefits, no vacation, no sick time.
Productive Work Place
CIVIL ENGINEER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 22, 2019
I can honestly say that my time spent interning with Xcel Energy resulted in one of the best summers of my life. Not only did I gain practical skills, but I also had the opportunity to meet many fantastic people. The atmosphere at the Denver downtown office was always welcoming which made me feel right at home. Additionally, I felt like I was able to contribute to the company by assisting and working on projects throughout the summer.
Great place to work, not a ton of room for advancement
GIS Technician I (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2019
Learned a lot in the company, but there are not enough positions to advance into. Needs more opportunity for growth and advancement in the company. Great benefits.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Too much expectation for overtime
High Stress Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Call Center personnel- this is a fast-paced, high stress, competitive position. It is the perfect job for persons who thrive in that environment. It is certainly not for everyone. I left the company due to the health issues that arose while working there.
Pros
You get to talk to a variety of people.
Cons
Highly stressful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xcel Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight