Xcel Energy Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 18, 2018
Who you know and if you are part of the "good ole boy" system are the only things that count here. Your work ethic and desire to assist never are considered. I was thankful that this was a contract short position. They did offer me a permanent position which I declined.
Pros
Cons
everything
Company takes care of its people.
Lineman Apprentice/Team Leader/Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 17, 2018
Supervisors are helpful and will make sure hard working employees are taken care of. Safety is number for one no matter which position you hold. Good benefits.
A very relaxed atmosphere, everyone was treated fairly
Electrical drafter (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 16, 2018
Great atmosphere, great people and supervisors to work for and with. I lved the work and living in colorado. My boss was really great guy to work for, he was very fair
Pros
Great relaxed work environment
Great Place to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Earth, TXJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work. Plenty of days off. Plenty employees that are willing to help with whatever. The job mainly consisted of training to actually learn most plant equipment. After the apprenticeship was done we were on our own doing work orders and tests on plant equipment.
Company does not value loyalty.
Journeyman Instrumentation and Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 2, 2018
Often people are not promoted from within, and end up quitting. Their job is advertised and new person hired at the higher level they were seeking. Company wasting money and reliability of assets is suffering. People leaving and not being replaced, so those who stay are getting more and more piled on. Most folks in the plants feel the company is looking to sell generating assets. Very "old school" management style from top to bottom. Most managers are ex-military so many places can have a culture that feels like military.
Typical large company
Work Week Manager (Current Employee) –  Monticello, MNJune 27, 2018
Okay employer, all about the bottom line and key performance indicators regardless of safety and common sense. Xcel Energy definitely does not care about retention and does not invest in future leaders. No a good company to advance if you are a true hard worker. Great company if you are a brown-noser.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Healthcare, advancement, and work environment
People were great, job was stressful
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 22, 2018
Great people. They feed you constantly!! Good food! Very safely oriented. You can change your schedule at various times through year if needed. Job was stressful and I woke up every night talking to customers in my sleep
A fast paced high expectation work environment
Planner Buyer (Current Employee) –  Henderson, COJune 19, 2018
The culture is changing due to re-organization and implementation of a new work management system. This is causing delays and large additions to daily work loads. People are not held accountable to do their job and in turn others have to pick up the additional tasks to get the job done.
The company as a whole takes care of its employees. There are great benefits and compensation. Opportunities are available for advancement along with training in a lot of areas for new interests. Good people are overlooked for roles.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Heavy work loads and unrealistic hours
Excellent place to work as a team
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 19, 2018
Xcel Energy was the first big company I worked for. It gave an opportunity to see and experience the work environment and all the nuances that come to play when dealing with a large workforce.
Pros
Benefits, Vacations
Xcel Energy is old
Director Category Management (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 18, 2018
Xcel Energy has an old world mentality when it comes to process and policies. Very difficult place to work if you are used to a fast pace work environment and energy. Decisions are slow to occur and the processes make no sense as it relates to buying and category management.
xcel energy was a great workplace
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 15, 2018
inbound call center.. learned about electric/gas services.. management was good.. workplace was great.. nothing to hard about the job.. loved working with client..
Environmental Analyst (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 9, 2018
Good place to work if you get on the right team. Good benefits and pay. Very liberal especially in the northern and central region. The right manager can make all the difference.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Micromanagement
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 8, 2018
Great place to work, great people, wonderful mission statement. They are attempting to balance the environment and business profits while not forgetting the people component of their business
Good stable job
Call Center Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 8, 2018
The management is willing to listen to you and help you out. They would always do things to help the employee out. They would have fairs, they would provide food almost everyday. The worst part is probably just talking to rude customers on the phone. For the most part, I did enjoy it.
Pros
There was always food
Excessive Micromanaging
ENERGY ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 8, 2018
Corporate culture is fine. Often get free lunches. Exercise room on site. Middle management often has excessive micromanaging to the point it hinders productivity.
Decent place to work
Bilingual Customer Service Technician III (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJune 7, 2018
It was a contract position that kept you busy taking orders for appliance protection plans. It was a division called HomeSmart. It was a bilingual position.
contract position
SAP Mobility Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 7, 2018
They state they promote from within yet every position I applied for as a Veteran I was turned down for and or not even given an interview even if i was qualified or not. They speak a big game but dont follow through the process.
Pros
n.a
Cons
They dont practice what they preach
Great place to work if you like litle time to breathe between calls
Temporary Customer Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 6, 2018
Back-to-back incoming calls. Learned about the utility industry, how it works, how it is billed, etc. Pleasant co-workers. Fair management. f you enjoy the fast pace, it's a great place to work.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Speed of incoming calls
What I learned
EMS/SCADA Programmer (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJune 6, 2018
Xcel Energy has given me an opportunity to grow in my career and as a person. They have given me a chance to work with subject matter experts to learn and grow. Doing so I have learned many thing in which I have been able to apply on the job in my daily life.
Pros
No micromanaging
Cons
I work for a isolated group
Good culture
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 6, 2018
They have a very good sense of purpose and know where they're going. the management is knowledgeable and doesn't play politics any more than necessary
Pros
working remotely
Cons
cyber security department is taking over the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xcel Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

53out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Xcel Energy.