Xero Employee Reviews

Great company culture, but with low pay and not a lot of room to grow
Account Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2018
This is probably the most exciting company to work for if you want to be in the accounting or financial industry. Casual work environment and lots of cool stuff. However, it's a company that is certainly having issues growing here in the United States. It seems that the company is still incredibly focused on providing direction from New Zealand, which makes things a little difficult in the U.S. Almost all of the major players in the company are from New Zealand and Australia and it seems as if the U.S. is not a priority. Even the expense reports have to get approved in New Zealand!

However, the company culture is very inviting and everyone is friendly. The average age of the employees here is probably in the late 20s, so be careful if you're out of that age range. The company is still creating and trying to define roles, which means some people may have tons to do, while others are not that busy. There were times when I was so bored I had to ask for more work to keep busy.

If you're hired in other parts of the country, chances are you will get a company Mini-Cooper to drive. This only seems fair as the pay is much lower than similar jobs in this and other industries so it's a nice perk.

Benefits are good here, including medical, dental and other health programs. Overall, I had a positive experience here.
Pros
Good office culrture
Cons
Lower than average pay
Overall good company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 23, 2018
Overall good company, makes lots of changes rather frequently which result in a lot of organizational moves. Company is based in New Zealand so that's where all the big wigs are, including the board of directors and product team etc.
Fun progressive company,
Senior Account Manager (Partner Channel Sales) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2017
Good place to work. Need some better solutions in partner channel. Great team. Good product, product will be great. Getting better. I would still recommend working here. Better than all the competition. Bis player in the tech space globally
Pros
Great team and work life balance
Cons
Encouraged to sell Empty "shell|" accounts in partner
Poor Management
Territory Account Manager - Americas (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 11, 2017
Management is completely inept. Totally lacking in direction, leadership ability, and communication skills. The company may be successful and great outside of the US, but are destined to fail stateside.
Comfortable work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INDecember 2, 2016
I enjoyed working for the company I resigned due to a high risk pregnancy, they had several incentive programs and also always fun during holidays! People were easy to get along with.
Fun
Customer Experience Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COSeptember 20, 2016
Fun overall but not as much in Denver. Management will make a break a team and unfortunately it wasn't the best. The people that work there are amazing and very dedicated to making the place successful.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
disconnected from San Francisco
Wonderful experience
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2016
I joined the US team in 2012 as Xero was launching in the United States. It was a tremendous experiences tha provided the opportunity to interface with nearly every part of the business and to work with talented teammates across the globe.

The hardest part of the job was probably competing the in US market against some very entrenched competitors. While Xero has a great product, the accounting industry is incredibly inert - especially in the US as opposed to the company's other markets. This was the source of some friction as the US market and customer base is growing a little more slowly than some had expected. Nonetheless, progress is being made and I expect to see the company continue to grow and become a major player in the US market.
Pros
Great office, great people, chance to visit other offices around the world
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Fun environment
Recruiting Coordinator HR Team (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2015
Good place to work, atmosphere is wonderful. They are growing fast! They are located all over the world and what they do is great.
Calls
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, KYJuly 24, 2015
Taking calls helping with the ssa
that people get made when they dont have there money on time
management was crazy
trying to make the cunsomer happy
I have never had a place I felt more secure and well treated than here.
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  DenverDecember 20, 2013
I have worked for Xero since October of 2013. This is the only company I have worked for that actually does care about thier employees work/home balance and really does want to keep you for the long haul. The excellent benefits, pay, and epic culture here are second to none. A employee would be hard pressed to find another company that would be a better place to work. The management takes a driven from the top down approach to seeing to it the culture and environment instills a feeling of pride and wanting to come in everyday and really feel as though you are member of the team and a person not a drone. There is also a incredible opportunity for career growth here. I cant say enough good things about Xero.
Pros
Benefits, free snacks, sodas, etc in the break room. Benefits, pay, culture, long term career.
Cons
None that I can think of.

Want to know more about Xero?

Ask a question
Having a blast changing the game in accounting
Vice President, Marketing & Product (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 20, 2013
Working at Xero has been a life altering experience. After working at many tech companies prior and larger corporations, Xero has been the place I have been looking for. I spend my time each day working on innovative and creative solutions to help accounting professionals and small businesses. I am surrounded by the best and the brightest and work closely as part of a truly global team. Our counterparts in AUS and NZ help us to realize that we must always work and play hard. Politics and slow decision-making are almost non-existent. A lot of places talk about being fun...and it is truly a pleasure to come into work. Is it easy? No. Small businesses don't have it easy and we want to support them and help them be successful. That means that you have to truly understand, appreciate and support them day in and day out. However, you can truly see the difference that the products and our efforts make - and you are truly part of a team that brings it all together and cares. It is really a pleasure to be a part of something significant, impactful and special. It is amazing how far we have come and how much further we can and will go.
Pros
Culture, opportunity, work environment and talent
Cons
My commute to San Francisco (but that is my issue)
Fun place to work with a pool table in the office!
Customer Experience Specialist-Payroll (Current Employee) –  Denver Tech CenterDecember 20, 2013
Spend your day answering customer tickets, interacting with coworkers across the globe. Very relaxed company to work for! Feels like a small family company, even though, it is a large global company.
Pros
relaxed dresscode
Cons
Best Company I have ever worked for! Very innovative and forward thinking.
Customer Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 20, 2013
Xero is an amazing company that is really going places! I have been here since September and love every day. We are a tight-knit family who enjoy what we do. Work is work, but the people here really make Xero a special place. Because we have such a great culture, we are empowered to go above and beyond in all tasks.

There are no excuses for not giving 100% and getting the job done.

If you are an easy going, jovial, and hard working person, this place is for you!
Pros
State of the art office, pool table, snack bar, freedom to do what is right, lots of laughter
Newer US Xero Employee
Customer Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, Co.December 20, 2013
This is the first international company I've worked for. I must say, it's an absolute pleasure. Xero has their goals together, ethics agree across the company, and the people are unheard of. They have done a phenomenal job of hand selecting their employee family. Couldn't be happier - except maybe to be working for this company from NZ instead of the US!
Pros
Growing company, great people, room to move up, pay, Pto, great location/office, organized, open communication.
Cons
Nothing comes to mind at the moment.
Love it here!
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 19, 2013
I have been at Xero as a Systems Engineer for close to four months now, and I am enjoying my time here immensely!

Everyday is different, one day I am programming in Ruby, writing Powershell scripts, the next day I am working on administering the many different systems that we have here. I have learned more Ruby here than I have on my own.

I would say that Xero is a "transparent" company. Management is really open and if you want to know something all you have to do is ask. Rod Drury (our CEO) really pushes to make Xero a company that you want to stay at for life and his saying is "This is your last job". Once you are a Xero, you are always a Xero.

They also care about your development as an employee and are willing to invest resources in training you, not only specifically for your position, but also for other paths within the company.

You are guaranteed to make a lot of friends both in the Denver office and elsewhere in the company. I have grown close with a few of the people in our New Zealand HQ as we are in constant contact with them throughout the day.

We also receive a number of perks as part of our position here. Snacks, fresh fruit, and soda are delivered Monday mornings. We also have quite a few cooks here so potlucks are full of amazing food. We also have a pool table, wellness room (good for naps), and Happy hour on Fridays.

Overall cool company to work for!
Pros
Lots!
Cons
none that I can see
Fantastic! what more can i say!
Bank Feeds Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milton KeynesMarch 18, 2013
The company is great, people here are great, the role is great. In all my years (and it's a lot) of working, I have never felt so welcome and 'like one of the family'.
The best decision I ever made
Associate Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton KeynesMarch 8, 2013
I have waited for that one day when I wake up in the morning and get excited to come to work, and I have at Xero. It has only been a week here at the Milton Keynes office and I have never been so excited for the following monday.

Everyone here is so friendly and generally wants you to succeed at Xero, everyone here works as a team, we all work on the same floor and the managers work alongside you and not behind closed doors.

My induction week has been the most fun week I have ever had in my working life.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with so many exciting people.
Pros
fun people, relaxed environment, great support
Cons
cannot find a fault
Milton Keynes Associate Account Manager
Associate Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton KeynesMarch 8, 2013
My first week is nearly complete, I can honestly say I have never had so much fun, been more interested, felt more welcomed than my first week in the XERO offices in Milton Keynes. My first day I was greeted with smiles, clear training programs and autonomy.
Management style approachable welcoming and knowledgable this may sound cliche but I feel like my work history has lead to this position. The hardest part of this week has been trying to find fault with it, my co-workers are fun yet professional coupled with a google styled working environment. Most enjoyable part of my Job being apart of the future of Cloud accountancy somehow packaged into a fun, intelligent, fast moving working environment.
Pros
tech.
Cons
just want more.