XL Catlin

XL Catlin Employee Reviews

United States47 reviews
Great Place and Friendly People
You work with a lot of international clients in this company which is very interesting. No Micromanaging and kind of an entrepreneurial feel to the company. very young and forward thinking. Really enjoyed it!
Peaceful please to work
I started working there under an assignment for a temporary company. I wished that I would have stayed at this job in the aviation department. Ever since then I been chasing a job that I felt that is great for me and my family. This job was the best!
Intern Experience
I worked for XL as part of a class/internship. It was a rewarding experience especially conducting business with employees across the world. I would work with them again.
Fun Place to work
A typical day of work is very fun, and I learn a lot because when I started in XL Catlin, I was new in the market. The management is changing a lot right now. A little be unstable. The work culture is always focused on the clients. The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers.
Cons
unstable market
it was ok
OK place to work, nothing amazing or great, just an OK basic cliquey girl environment to work in. Management was lack luster, no real management involvement unless there was a problem.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Profesional and fun place to work- Team work culture
Is a very interesting market, a great office, and the people are very nice. But when you get in is very difficult to grow. This company is too big. You need to has very strong knowledge of Reinsurance.
Cons
The company is too big
Great work environment with transparency and team building.
Hired on by Catlin but this company was acquired by XL which made many jobs redundant and changed geographic location of job opportunities. Great people; I would like to work with these folks again.
too small
The company is too small to play with the big companies in the Northeast market yet they demanded huge growth when the opportunity was not available due to being a startup with limited product offerings.
Overall
Good place to work. Very flexible work hours/location. 24x7 operations makes it sometimes difficult to catch up on issues. High volume of email, less phone contact is not productive
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Colleagues mostly in London
Everyday is a new experience
We perform only WC claims on traveling carnival and the entertainment business. It's face passed and you must think outside the box. Autonomy and collaboration is key. Multi states jurisdictions.
Pros
Autonomy, No micromanagement
Cons
Multi states, Job descriptions and expectations in wring
Great benefits
The company has great benefits and the working culture is good. Very low opportunity for advancement as all of their services are provided in other states.
Good co-workers. Not so good managers
I was there for 12 years and when I first started, it was a smaller, more closely knit company. My experience was valued and I was placed in positions where I had the confidence of senior management. As time went on, the company grew, the workload increase, but the staffing did not and there was little time to do the job properly. Once the merger with Catlin came about, the company grew even further, new management was installed and my experience, work ethic and dedication became an after thought. At the end, it ws not a pleasnant working experience.
Great company to work
Excellent company to work for. Strong leadership at all levels throughout the company. Individual performance responsibilities, goals and opportunities are clearly communicated. The company's core values serve as a foundation for the organization and provide guidance to enable the achievement of stated goals and responsibilities at all levels.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance
Cons
Productive and fast paced.
Typical day at work starts off with checking email and prioritizing for the day setting up meetings to ensure daily tasks are followed.
I learned to be more selective when applying for other positions.

Management was not approachable and set in their ways.

Everyone was very friendly and eager to assist.

The hardest part of the job was knowing their was no room for advancement. The location was great.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
lack of work.
Not recommended
Since the XL takeover 2 years ago, this work environment is very hostile. Not recommended to anyone with thin skin. Very political and corporate. Benefits are great...management is not so great.
Benefits
Cons
Mgmt
Hard working group, but fun.
I was a contract employee and only wished the position could have been direct hire. It was a terrific group that I supported. Only negative was that this is a global company which makes for an impersonal touch in matters of HR.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Global company - HR is relatively impersonal.
Friendly and productive workplace
I experienced a friendly and productive workplace at Xl Catlin. It is a collaborative environment in which management encourages innovation and teamwork. However, my journey didn't allow opportunity for advancement. The company has become less generous with the benefit package and salary increases, but have maintained a bonus over the years. They have always been very considerate regarding family matters. I always enjoyed Global Day of Giving which set aside one day to volunteer and give back to the community. It afforded you the opportunity to meet your co-workers from different strata of the company. It is a good company to partner with.
Pros
Family oriented, encourage townhalls -feedback
Cons
little opportunity for advancement, negligible increases
Good people but needs to modernize technology
People are the hardest part of any company to get right, so overall I give XL Catlin high marks. Their workplace technology needs modernizing, which they are working on. Good company overall.
Pros
Good people, collaborative environment
Cons
Dated workplace technology
Enjoyable
This company has a collaborative environment which is future focused. Continual enhancement to customer needs while meeting the balance of work and family. They are also dedicated to paid global company volunteer days.
great Company
Great place to work, typical insurance company with up's and down's due to environmental events. Overall good company vision and strategy. Management overall is good, with some areas lack experience and trust. Company pays well, benefits are good.
I am a contractor working on a temporary basis
There is a lot of responsibility for a temporary contracted employee. Many wonderful colleagues. There is an onsite cafeteria you can purchase breakfast and lunches and they provide free coffee which is nice.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at XL Catlin. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight