XO Communications Employee Reviews

Interesting job, to say the least
Associate Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIApril 21, 2018
I worked here for almost 3 years, moving up in the company in that time to a Tier II position. The pay and benefits are good for this area without a college degree but the management decisions and lack of training really put a strain on the employees.
A Great 19 Years
Associate Engineer-Client Service Assurance (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 13, 2018
I worked at XO Communications for 16 years. During those years the business needs changed and challenged me to constantly learn and grow beyond my current capabilities. People came and went and I remained steadfast. I think any job that encourages you to grow and learn is a good one.
Benefits
Cons
Constant Struggle to remain relavent
Excellent Organization with Top-Notch People.
Enterprise Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2018
XO Communications was one of my favorite places to work in my entire working Career.. And the reason for that is really due to the people that worked with me at XO. They were probably the hardest working bunch of Telecom Sales Personnel that I had worked with, but without the cut-throat culture, that poisons many other Sales Organizations. In short, the Personnel were terrific - from the Top (CEO) down....
XO Communications (now Verizon)
Customer Service Manager within the B2B Sales Team (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 5, 2018
My role was to manage corporate account relationships. I learned a great deal about the Internet and wireless infrastructure, along with network security and privacy policies.
Pros
Part of Sales Team based in Seattle, Wa.
Cons
Office was segarated by corporate and consumer sales.
Wonderful job stayed 15 years.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAApril 3, 2018
While the company was XO Communications it was a excellent place to work. The workplace culture and the employees I worked with over the course of 15 years were the best!

I really would have liked to stay another few years.
Pros
Wonderful people, allowed to grow and expand my skills
Cons
The stress involved after the buyout.
Decent place
Director of Finance North Region (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJMarch 27, 2018
Prior to being purchased by carl ichan, the company was a great company to work for. once purchased by ichan, it became an unhappy place to work at.

there was good upward movement.
Productive but worked all hours of the day
Senior Voice Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 26, 2018
Productive but worked all hours of the day. The merger with Verizon changed the environment and did not have any management support. That is all I have on this subject and will not add any more.
Good
Network Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 7, 2018
Good company to work for as long as their is enough work, laid off without have any severance pay or given any vacation pay back in my opinion was very unfair
Good place to work at the time, but industry changes left XO behind.
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 3, 2018
Good experience at the time I was at XO but when Carl Icahn took over the company, much had changed that left a negative feeling in my mind. This is what caused me to look around for new opportunities which ultimately resulted in my leaving the company.
Pros
Collabortive environment with team engagements.
Cons
Balance sheet struggles and financial strain.
No Longer Exists
Financial Analyst IV (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 26, 2018
No Longer Exists

XO Communications was acquired by Verizon Communications officially in 2017. The job function was relocated to another city and resulted in a RIFF.
Slow Paced
Finance Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2018
The work was very simple and easy to do. When requesting more work or inquiring about advancement, it seemed out of reach. I learn to work with different dynamics, within the company.
CLEC groomed to sell
Switch Engineer III (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 26, 2018
This was a company that was driven to eventually sell to a larger telecom provider. They were very network focused. The work environment was very stressful majority of the time.
Pros
Provided a steady job, with industry level compensation
Cons
Management did not have a good handle on what was going on. Only managed crisis's versus, people.
Horrible Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 23, 2018
I cannot stress enough how ineffectively my team was managed. There were blatant violations of ethics in the treatment of employees. It was quite a while ago, but folks were just trying to get through days, as opposed to really contributing.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
Only if you need a job and no other is available
Manager/Director - Projects/AR Manager (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 23, 2018
Poor management - little or no training. Total intolerance if the customer made a complaint. No support by managment. Their way or the highway. We have always done it this way. Inadequate floor coverage and thus have to work 2 to 3 departments at a time.
Dead end gig
Sales (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2018
Churn and burn, bang phones, sell commodity where XO is neither the technology, service or price leader. Daily micromanagement and zero company culture. Meetings at 8am sharp and late afternoon to make sure you're there for 40hrs.
XO Communications was acquired by Verizon.
Partner Channel Dir/Sr.Sales Mgr. Partner Channel (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 9, 2018
XO Communications was acquired by Verizon. The two company cultures are quite different. XO was a much smaller company environment. Verizon is quite large with rigid segmentation.
Zombie Company
Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2018
XO felt like it was just shuffling paper around. People were not motivated. They had lost their footing in the market I worked in. Now that Verizon has swallowed them it may get better.
Telephone company
LAN Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2018
* Coordinate and assist in the configuration, installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and fine-tuning of LAN including all hardware, software, telecommunications, and networking components.
* Build, deploy, monitor performance and administration of NT workstations/servers
* Install, configure, maintain and update existing and new software on workstations/servers
* Create and manage user accounts
* Provide technical assistance and help desk user support by diagnosing and resolving end user operating problems
* Backup data on server's daily using Veritas Net Backup software while monitoring and regulating server storage space.
* Responsible for maintaining IT equipment and software inventory based on forecasts and reports of required equipment.
Pros
Work with lots of people
Xo
Carrier Account Manager (National Sales) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2018
good work environment

the management was supportive

the sales goal were steep but the compensation was fantastic

a lot of travel

technical knowledge is imperative
Excellent work environment. Reliable company.
Finance Dispute Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 22, 2018
I worked for XO Communications for 17 years until my departure 10/20/17, as a result of an acquisition that resulted in a layoff.

The work environment was great, with an excellent vacation package, paid days off, and good benefits. I enjoyed working under the Finance Department during my last 8 years of employment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at XO Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight