Y in Central Maryland Employee Reviews

Great
Café Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, MDMay 20, 2019
Learned a lot about the Y and what it represents and its missions. Also learned how it wants to continue to have a positive impact on our community. Great place to work
Fun but to heavy
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  MarylandApril 6, 2019
The members and co-workers at the Y were so much fun and they were very understanding when it come to needing time off for family. However, management was too deep and thick. There are so many layers of nonsense to get thru to make any kind of change. Also, decisions that effect members and hourly workers are made by people who don't consult the people who have to implement those decisions so taking good care of members can be very. As a non-profit, they put a lot of pressure on employees to donate. Pay was low.
Pros
The work is fun and the members are great
Cons
Low pay, poor management
Fun Place to Work
Stay and Play Attendant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 25, 2018
I worked with the children in Stay and Play and it was so much fun. Parents were friendly and we got to watch the children grow up and take their first steps!
November 15, 2018

Thank you for playing a special role in helping children to success and parent's to focus on their well-being!

Management not trustworthy.
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 13, 2018
The people at the bottom are always to blame. Upper management has little to no accountability and are seldom in the office. Most of the people you encounter on a day to day are great, but there is a culture where you are not forgiven for making a mistake. Turnover is extremely high which keeps morale extremely low.
November 15, 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience as a Y associate. We're here to help. Feel free to reach out to us at 443-322-8088

Intense and helps with Networking
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Druid, MDSeptember 9, 2018
I sit on a pool deck make sure everyone is safe and teach people how to swim. The hardest part is trying to get people to see your point of view on why you have to do things a specific way.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Members can be rude
November 15, 2018

Thank you for keeping everyone's safety in mind. We appreciate our lifeguards!

Great job great people great environment
Speci, camp leader (Current Employee) –  Catonsville, MDSeptember 5, 2018
It is an amazing experience to work for the Y of Central Maryland. It is a job that helps you master all of the basic skills that you would need to further your career.
November 15, 2018

So true! As a leader that works with our youth, you 100% contribute to personal development. Thanks for making an impact!

Job
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 28, 2018
The culture is last minute and very unorganized. The management staff gossips about employees. There is no morale. There is always confusion and it takes forever to get the proper tools and training to do your job.
September 4, 2018

We are sorry to hear that you are not having a positive experience as a Y associate. We're here to help. We invite you to speak directly to a Y Human Resources associate for assistance. Feel free to reach out to us at 443-322-8088.

I would do it just for the free gym membership
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Arnold, MDJuly 22, 2018
The best part of working at the Y in Central Maryland is that they allow student workers to come and go as their school schedules allow. Instead of quitting the job entirely, I am able to stay on as a seasonal employee and pick up shifts as I wish while I am at home and not away at college.
Pros
free gym membership i love working out
Cons
the managers suck and scheduling is whack
November 15, 2018

We love that you are able to take advantage of flexibility and our wellness benefits. But having a good working relationship & open communication with your Manager is super important. There's a quote that reads "Open communication leads to community."

Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 22, 2018
As a driver, no one understands nor respects your job except you and the Transportation Coordinator. People are put into leadership positions but don't know what all of the functions are of those they are supposed to oversee
November 15, 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not a positive experience as a Y associate. We invite you to speak directly to a Y Human Resources associate for assistance. Feel free to reach out to us at 443-322-8088.

Fun workplace
Intern (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 2, 2018
As an intern through the Federal Work Study Program I was able to work with many students in the East Baltimore area. The Y-Achievers program is an after-school program that primarily focuses on academics, as well as college and career readiness.
November 15, 2018

Congratulations on taking initiative with your career! Your future seems bright :)

Good for PartTime
School Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2018
It's not bad to work as a part-time job, but if you need a full time job or a job with benefits, work some where else! You will put all your check into benefits.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no advancement, high cost of benefits
Laid back and low stress
Swim Lesson Instructor (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MDMay 6, 2018
There is not a lot of stress that follows the job. The shifts are extremely flexible. The management is hit or miss when it comes to productivity or helpfulness.
Ymca
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 1, 2018
A GREAT COMAPNY TO ADVANCE IN....

A lot of training opportunity...

If you love kids its a great place to work.

I love there field trips.

Lovely employees
Extremely Disorganized. Poor Management
Director/Manager (Former Employee) –  Maryland , ArnoldApril 23, 2018
Very long shifts children not being cared for by qualified staff
Fire marshal regulations disregarded by upper management puts all members and staff at risk
No job security
High turnover rate with childcare
Upper management makes good money managers hourly staff are not paid well
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours lousy pay understaffed code regulationsNot adhered to not adhered to
Great career to help families in need
DIRECTOR OF FAMILY AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS (Current Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDApril 16, 2018
Head Start is a great career. There are many of opportunities to touch the lives of low income children and families.
This job provided me great opportunities for professional development and advancement.
Pros
y membership
Cons
short staff
Poor management
Senior Staff (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 6, 2018
the direct management such as the director/assistant is horrible. they has no professionalism whatsoever. they are habitual liar and are very sneaky. they only look out for the benefit of themselves. far as upper level management, they stick up for each other and only believe what managers say. they do not investigate situations to their full potential
Pros
wonderful students
Cons
horrible management
Horrible management
Head Start (Current Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDMarch 28, 2018
Management team was not supportive which made the work difficult. Required to work too many hours each day/week making it impossible to balance work and family life.
Pros
Free Y membership for family
Cons
Poor management
Family Like Environment
Director of Education and Mental Health Services (Former Employee) –  MarylandMarch 22, 2018
I loved the family like environment of the Head Start Y. However, just like family there can be many demands and judgements that occur. Overall I really loved the job experience and have made life long friends.
Pros
Family Environment
Cons
Overload of work and unrealistic expectations
Fun Work Environment with great team
Swim Coordinator (Current Employee) –  SwimMarch 10, 2018
Really learned a lot about customer service and helping out our members. Management is usually there to help you out when you need it. Although this location has undergone some management/organizational change in the last few months
Not Worth the Stress
Junior Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bel AirMarch 8, 2018
If you like working with kids and don't care about the pay and work well under stress, this is the place. But if you have a problem with any of those, it's not worth your time. They pay you like they don't need you (if you are in the lower jobs), but they pay the lazy high officials big money. Management hate coming to centers and having to take care of the kids, yet they get paid the most when we deal with the kids everyday. They're not organized with the activities we have to do. They don't give all the materials we need to do it, but get mad when we don't do it. They need to treat their employees better than this and work just as hard as us.
Pros
Fun with Kids
Cons
Management, Pay, Communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Y in Central Maryland. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight