Yankee Candle Company Employee Reviews

Quic paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 16, 2018
Overall i enjoyed my time there. I loved the product we sold. The market has been challenging lately which created a more stressful work environment.
Pros
Great product
Cons
Stressful of late.
Productive as enlightening
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 12, 2018
Treat u like family and helps u advances yourself personally and professionally. Their aim is to inspire u to want to improve urself, they go all out inviting u to the family mange sure u are ok
Pros
Cons
Not working there anymore
Fun and safe place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 11, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Yankee Candle! It was so nice to help out customers and to work alongside some amazing women. I learned a lot about customer service working there.
Pros
Breaks, smell-good environment
Cons
It can get busy.
I enjoyed it
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 11, 2018
I really enjoyed my time with the company. If you work hard and have a passion for customer service, it can serve you well. Stores are always changing.
Pros
Great people and products
Cons
Fun and exciting work environment.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Collierville, TNJuly 10, 2018
My typical day at work involved excellent customer service, opening and closing the store, bank runs, scheduling, payroll, communicating with the company DM, oversee productivity of the store, and assist and train the sales associates. I learned all my management skills from here that carry with me to this day. The workplace staff are directly involved with the success of one another and the overall sales of the day. The hardest part of the job was during the heavy flow of customers during the holidays. The most enjoyable part of the job was to interact with the customers in a fun atmosphere and experiment with all the fragrances the candles offer.
Pros
Fun environment and great employee benefits.
Cons
Meeting the deadlines for store arrangement during the holidays.
great smells, discounts, good customers at times
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAJuly 9, 2018
this was a great place to work and it had creative ideals with the candle that I did not know about until I work there. the manager was not too nice only controlling.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
no benefits
Fun place to work with the WORST BOSS EVER
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warrington, PAJuly 7, 2018
I was very excited when I got the position at Yankee Candle. I already knew so much about their products. I flew through the training, and was very good at my job for the short time I was there. The assistant manager was fantastic and understanding and cared about the other employees. However, the main supervisor was very unprofessional, and it made it a very uncomfortable place to be. So, I decided to leave that position because a typical day at work became very negative.
Pros
Great store and co-workers
Cons
short breaks
My First job
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJuly 4, 2018
This was a great first job. I enjoyed learning not only about customer service, but they are very good at teaching you about their products. This is in part to make sure you know everything for the customer. I think my first manager had a lot to do with me loving this place, we were a family and we sold a lot of product. Two managers later, and the family kind of went their own ways, new management only cared about sales, your average dollar. Its candles, customers were either going to buy them or not. I didn't want to push sales like a door to door salesman. So I parted ways with the company.
Pros
discounted candles
Cons
certain managers get real pushy
worked long hours
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 1, 2018
I spent the entire holiday season with zero days off and was "recommended" to work extra hours without proper pay because I was salary. Was not worth the money to me in the long run and had a horrible district manager.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 30, 2018
a very fun place to work
a very helpful manager
great coworkers
I learned a lot to communicate with customers
learned to work with the cashier
greeting and helping the people was very enjoyable to me
Horrible management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
Horrible management from the District Manager all the way to the store manager. District Manager doesn't want to have to do the work to find better management and the manager was lazy and irresponsible. Would never work for this company again.
The candles.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 27, 2018
Working with different kinds of candles and decor. And being able to do displays with them. Plus working with the public.
I ran the Northtown store until they closed it just before the holidays.
Pros
Cons
They closed my store.
Good people to work with, but the job itself is not good.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJune 24, 2018
It gets very boring sitting around all the time because it isn’t very busy. The people I worked with were awesome. I loved my boss as well; however, upper management did not respect her and the way she did things.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Boring & upper management sucks
its okay
First Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Highland, INJune 22, 2018
50% off discount. Low staff. Lots of shoving sales at people. District managers are very fake. customers are nice. Low Low Low pay for what you're doing. Takes Customer is always right to a ludicrous level
Both the best and worst job I've had
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 17, 2018
The job was amazing to me because I got to interact with people and I was able to catch onto everything fairly quickly. The staff was also fairly small, so everyone who worked there really felt like family.
The reason it was not so great was because of the disorganization at my particular location. Also, the scheduling was not easily flexible, which is something I really need.
Great Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, MDJune 15, 2018
Yankee Candle was probably the best emotional payoff I had while working. Management encouraged me, Customer interactions were warm and friendly, the work wasn't overly difficult. The only downside is probably the low starting pay (likely minimum wage). Overall it was a cherished work experience.
Pros
Has a "Home-y" vibe, Inspires positive work environments
Cons
Low Starting Pay, Takes a long while for Promotions/Raises
Okay for a starter job
Retail/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJune 13, 2018
Quite unvaried, I really liked turning every lid to match the label in a perfect aesthetic mise en place...(hopes this makes up forty three characters)
Pros
boring
Cons
boring
Fun and creative environment to work in!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTJune 11, 2018
The day would consist of customer service, cash register operations, back-stock, replenishment, and guest services. Allowing customers to sample different candles of their liking, ordering specific items for customers, making sure all of the customers needs were met.
Pros
discount on expensive candles
Cons
not enough pay/hours.
Yankee Candle
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 8, 2018
I have a better, newer perspective on working with the public, determining the best approach for each guest to achieve the company's goals.
I have learned things about the company and candles in general I did not know previously.
The hardest part of the job is when it is slow and I search of things to stay busy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the guests and sharing my candle stories as I assist them in selecting just the right fragrance,
Pros
Get smelling place to work!
Cons
Sometimes incredibly slow/few guests.
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 7, 2018
I worked here for a year. It was a really good experience, and the management was great. Always really fun and exciting. I was sad to leave! i definitely recommend.