Yankee Candle Company Employee Reviews

didnt really like the job
Inspector (Former Employee) –  South Deerfield, MAMay 16, 2019
it wasn't the greatest place to work because it was hard to understand my coworkers and it wasn't the friendliest of work environments i wouldn't recommend it
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAMay 14, 2019
Helping customers with candles was fun because you could learn what the candle was made up of. The customers their was sometimes funny because they would be shopping for gifts and didn't know what to get.
Loved the Job
Sales Employee (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHMay 12, 2019
I absolutely loved working at Yankee. The people and customers were wonderful, and it was very fun to come into work everyday. I loved my co-workers and the environment, and the products were high quality.
Fun Work Place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 12, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of managing staff, making sure they are assisting the customers. Management was customer obsessed by having sales and promotions to grow the business.
Pretty Nice
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 30, 2019
I really do like working here, but I personally think they have some stupid rules and expectations. I realize that companies have the right to decide on a dress code and while I do think the dress code in place is okay, they’re very conservative considering just last year they decided to allow tattoos. I’m also currently in the process of figuring out how to go about moving out of state and trying to stay with the same company. The process of transferring to a different retail location is ridiculous and more difficult than getting the job in the first place. Not to mention I just found out that any PTO I use this year, if I leave the company before the end of the year I will have to pay back any PTO I have used up to that point. It’s just a lot of little stupid things that are really irritating.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Piercing Policy, PTO Rules
It was fair.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Square, NJApril 27, 2019
Not much room for advancement. The company pays more for an outsourced empolyee rather than someone who moves up. Not impressed and would rather work somewhere else. A lot of drama.
Pros
Discounts.
Cons
Cliques and no room for advancement
Productive work environment
Machine Operator/ Shipping Receiving (Former Employee) –  Whately, MAApril 24, 2019
Good place to work... Plenty of OT.. Friendly Co workers... Gained much experience and learned about the ins and outs of the manufacturing industry. Also learned a lot about operating and troubleshooting many types of machines and robotics... Gained much experience in a variety of material handling equipment and loading and Unloading trucks...good work environment and work culture
Fun, cooperative environment
Candle Maker (Former Employee) –  Whately, MAApril 21, 2019
A typical work day at the Yankee Candle factory is mostly relaxed. The employees are mostly nice and the supervisors and overseers are very considerate and kind. The job can be fast-paced depending on what assembly line you're on and what the candle quota is. There are mandatory stretch breaks throughout the shift.
It was an ok seasonal job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  South Deerfield, MAApril 18, 2019
I worked in the warehouse from August to December. When you tour the warehouse before they hire you they show you tealights and little items that you'll be packing. When you start training you are lifting full cases of candles up off the floor and onto the belt. They definitely downplay how physical the job is. I had a goal to earn a specific amount of money by the end of the year so I stuck it out. The full time employees treat the temps like they are beneath them. I wasn't there to make friends. I have a full time job and purposely sought out a temporary position. You would think that they really thought every temp there was after their job. Management was useless except to tell you when you messed up. We regularly ran out of product to finish our orders. When they didnt have enough work they made us dust and sweep. The work was no where near properly distributed and the seasoned workers knew where to go to get the light work. The training was sub par but I learned how to work smarter by watching and observing the pros. You worked a ten hour day with two 25 minute breaks. 25 minutes that were actually more like 15 after you walked across the warehouse, used the bathroom, waited for a microwave to heat your meal land finally sat down to eat. It was an interesting assignment. I lost 11 pounds and toned my arms and my legs. I wouldn't do it again though. It's not worth dealing with the rudeness for a job that doesn't pay my bills. The temps stuck together and were nice to each other.
Pros
Free thanksgiving turkey, candle giveaways, free lunches, christmas celebration with gifts, good workout
Cons
Poor management, not everybody did the same amount of work, long hours with 2 short breaks, bad attitudes
Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILApril 18, 2019
I enjoyed working for Yankee Candle. I was trained to open and close the stire as well as learning about the product. The staff is friendly and helpful
Great Product
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 18, 2019
If your working just for a discount on the product then this is s great job to have. If not expect long hours especially if your a manger. You will have no personal life and the expectations are high. You pretty much work alone expect for high volume days were you may have coverage for 3 to 5 hours. Most days you go without a lunch break. The highlight of your day is the customer interaction, which sometimes can be diffcult because there's always shipment or a time sensitive task that must be completed during opening hours. If your a multitasker then this a great place to work.
Pros
Discount/ Product knowledge
Cons
Everything else
Yankee Candle was a fun welcoming environment. It felt like a second family.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAApril 16, 2019
When I worked at Yankee Candle is was a fun and welcoming experience. My coworkers where my friends and my managers acted more like my moms then my bosses. Made a great time working there.
Enjoyed my work and my coworkers
Fundraising Associate (Current Employee) –  South Deerfield, MAApril 13, 2019
I enjoyed my work at Yankee Candle. My coworkers are the best. We worked as a team and no one was left behind. The jobs that we were responsible for were interesting. We did different jobs everyday which makes the time go by fast and it never got boring. The hours were good and if you had something to do they tried to accommodate you. Unfortunately at this time Funding Raising Dept. Is up in the air whether or not it will continue in South Deerfield.
Pros
Free candles
Cons
Company been sold multiple times. Funding Raising Dept. is not secure at this point. I neec benefits
fun factory job
Picker (Former Employee) –  Etna, OHApril 4, 2019
I loved working there it was very fast paced and was a relaxed environment the management was very caring about the employees and would take the time to listen to each and everyone of us.
Pros
lunch room
Cons
short breaks
Enjoyable product
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 29, 2019
At the time I worked there, it was mostly fun. There were some issues with shipments at times, and understaffed locations. Direct management was pretty easy going and tried to help.,
Great place to work with great upper management.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Central Valley, NYMarch 28, 2019
The environment is pleasant and competitive. The people I work with within my district are friendly and focused to achieve. My Dm is perfect combination of leadership and allowing Managers to control their own stores business.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
Compensation
Manageable part-time work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIMarch 27, 2019
The management at my location added a lot of character to the work, which would be slow typically. Hardest part of the job was selling to the customers.
Fun and competitive. I enjoyed the atmosphere and culture.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67207March 27, 2019
Mondays are admin day. Schedules are made 1-2 weeks out. There are monthly promotions and coupons and well as annual events. Company wants to inspire and motivate employees.
Yankee Candle
Factory Line Worker (Former Employee) –  South Deerfield, MAMarch 27, 2019
Really loved the job. Was again on overnight staff. I worked in the factory where the candles were made and packaged to be shipped to distribution center.
Stressful
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  South Deerfield, MAMarch 25, 2019
Working here has become a drag, middle management is composed of people that were given the ‘good ole boy’ promotion. For instance my current manager has never received any type of management training outside the company and doesn’t even have a high school diploma. Newell has this company in a stranglehold.
Pros
Corporate treatment of time off
Cons
Drama, Gossip, management doesn’t really care about individuals along with HR