Yard House Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Typical Corp Restaurant job
FOH STAFF (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2018
No direction just follow the rules an keep your mouth shut even when you get the run around, Summer months you make no cash because they are a terrible location and winter only works if there are sports on. Menu is over extensive and has to many plain choices
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 13, 2018
I've worked in multiple places for as long as I have been working and I've never received disrespect from management like I do here its quit e crazy and unprofessional.
Cons
Over work you, disrespectful management
fun work place
Culinary Professional (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAAugust 10, 2018
its a learning experience. you always learn something new. you get to interact with different people.your learn to multitask.And it gives you a sense of responsibility.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
health care, short hours
Quick paced
Server (Former Employee) –  HawaiiAugust 9, 2018
I made a lot of money working at this company unfortunately it meant I was away from my family 80% of the time. This would be a great job if you’re a college student.
Unstable Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 7, 2018
Great concept with food and drink options for everyone. Management has their own agendas and are never in sync. Every decision is made as "manager discretion" and is never consistent. Managers always take guests side and never have team member's side in a dispute.
Fun, fast paced restaurant and bar
Server (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
Working at Yard House the past two and a half years has been a blast! The training of the restaurant is fairly thorough and they make sure you have a very good support system in place between management, trainers and your fellow co-workers as well. They train you in both food and beverage information for eight shifts and provide you with a learning tool online so you can train and study both from home and at work. We have a food menu with over 100 items you can order and a full bar with 100 beers on tap and a full liquor shelf. Once you get on the floor, there is plenty of money to be made. With a location nearby to both the oil and gas industry as well as the energy corridor, you will see a ton of foot traffic from these areas as well as people from all over the world. The environment, in my opinion, is the fastest pace environment I can say I have worked in. Teamwork is crucial to working in this restaurant but we have a lot of fun while we do work as well. The management team is far and away the best overall management team I can say that I have worked for. They do a very good job of setting the restaurant up for success and making sure that the employees will be making as much money as they can day in and day out.
Pros
Tons of guests and money to be made, helpful staff, super flexible hours, benefits (medical/dental/401k)
Cons
Longer work shifts, slightly long sidework
Fun people to work with
Server (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 5, 2018
Very fun place to work in. Staff and management are easy to talk to and very helpful. Fast-paced on busy nights but with help from staff members it can easily be done.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Stiffers
Overall great place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 1, 2018
My time at Yard House was short but sweet! The food was great, the atmosphere was incredible and my co workers were fun. I was pregnant and went into labor at work and they handled it very professionally. Afterwards I went on maternity leave and unfortunately did not return.
Pros
Food and customers
Cons
Not trusting that new people can be good servers
General Manager, with them for 2.5 years, very unhappy environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJuly 27, 2018
Work, work, work. Be profitable, be profitable, be profitable. While at the same time they continue to take away the quality and the tools that would allow you to excel at profitable sales growth. I was able to when I opened a new location due to it being new, but at established locations in non spotlighted areas (a spotlighted area being Vegas or L.A. Live) sales were down and frozen mashed potatoes were the new standard. The focus is on what you can do for the business with very little room to reward or recognize your team members with awards they truly want. I got creative and was able to offer unapproved awards for my team, but that is not the norm. Healthcare was expensive. Only free meals during your shift, and when you are not working you only receive 25% off, even as a manager or General Manager. I learned how to operate in an environment that was strict with rules that specified what you could not do, opposed to what you could do to recognize top performers. The work was overly complicated when it could be simple, due to lacking technology or systems that were not utilized for optimal performance and did not communicate with one another. But the biggest issue is the new focus on frozen or pre-made food, and conversations that only focused on making the company more money and no longer on the development and enrichment of the team.
Great Restaurant
Server/Busser/Food Runner/Kegger/Barback (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJuly 24, 2018
Yardhouse is fast paced. The management really shows that they care, and they are always willing to help employees move up in the business. The teams works together to provides guests with a great dining experience.
Money over people, quantity over quality
BEVERAGE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHJuly 23, 2018
A decline from who Yard House used to be. They raised the price of benefits but lowered the coverage, claiming people were "over insured", whatever that means. They've reduced bonuses and made them less achievable. Advancement at the management level is left only to those willing to relocate. Direction from upper management has gone from constructive to counter productive and at times toxic. I highly recommend steering clear from this job.
Pros
Free food
Cons
long hours, poor quality of life, stressful work enviornment
Great co-workers terrible management
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 22, 2018
Would be an amazing place to work if managers adopted the corporate core values sincerely,.. overall the subordinate staff was very hard working knowledgeable and compensated fairly,.. high turn over rate due to lack on the managements end.
Server (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2018
Make lots of money! Great working environment and teamwork...lots of constant development...flexible schedule. Fun team & managers...lots of opportunity to grow your career
Love the place but need somewhere closer to home
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 16, 2018
I loved working here just need something a little bit closer to home. The tips are great if you put in the effort and work hard. The management is great and willing to help you and very flexible with your schedule.
Fun and productive work environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 11, 2018
Management is very hands on and willing to help out when anyone needs it. The team is fun loving and knowledgeable about the product and goes above and beyond to make sure the guests have a great experience.
Yard House
Server/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLJuly 7, 2018
A typical day at work at the Yard House is usually a fast paced lunch shift, turning into a extremely busy Happy Hour pop, followed by a very steady dinner shift. Yard House is constantly busy and there is always something to do. I've learned a lot about the service industry from working here as well as learning new trades such as Expo, Hostess, Management etc. There is a constant manager presence at all times at the Yard House. The shift usually never runs with less than 5 managers and 3 trainers, which allows a fairly smooth shift everyday. I wouldn't say there is necessarily a "hard" part about working at Yard house, once you've developed your style and you can understand the culture it becomes more like second nature. The most enjoyable part of working there by far is the culture, and the family aspect of it all, we are a team before anything else and we all support each other throughout the busy shifts and in everyday life.
won't say
Culinary Professional/Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDJuly 6, 2018
I do not want to write anything about my five years at YH. I don't think that I should have to , to move on about getting a job. If you want to work in a fast paced kitchen and get your butt kicked, then YH is the place for you
Pros
non
Cons
non
Easy Job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2018
I was a host. It wasn't a bad job... Management simply did the most. If you have experience with hospitality.. this job would be good for you. The managers simply care about the business.
Pros
free food
Cons
no set end time
Fun Restaurant!
Server (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 3, 2018
I had a great time while I was a server at Yard House, great restaurant, food, a very large selection of beers and the mananagement was amazing, it was truly a great experience.
Long time manager
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 28, 2018
I was a long time manager for Yard House. I started with them when they were a small company with only 9 locations. I enjoyed my time with the company up until the time that Darden bought them out. After that the company culture changed. There was little to no room for advancement from a culinary aspect.