Year Up Employee Reviews

Great social work, horrible upper management decisions
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 17, 2018
The student interactions made the experience worth it. Having to deal with politics of staff, their biases towards students and decisions for money ruined everything else.
Pros
Student interactions
Cons
No real room to advance
Once and Alum now Employed
Master Curriculum Project Specialist, Academics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2018
I came full circle working in this organization. It is an amazing space to be in full of passionate individuals who truly care about the mission. They want to see everyone succeed and push to make that happen.
Productive & Fun Work Environment.
IT Student (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2018
An intern at a company called Yearup. 1 year work force development program which taught us work ready skills & how to become polished professionals in the corporate world.
A culture of collaboration, professional advancement, and social advocacy
Information Technology (IT) Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 21, 2018
My typical day at work involves supporting the academic instructors, engaging in my "Learning Community", and developing myself professionally.

Year Up culture really takes over when you work there. Among the core values, the ones that I felt the most were as follows: work hard and have fun, engage and embrace diversity, and strive to learn.
Pros
Everyone cares about you and your community
Cons
Things quickly change
Student in Year Up
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 17, 2018
I can't really say much about this place career wise, as I was not in Year Up as a full time employee. I was a student in the Helpdesk/Desktop Course.
Love the Misson/Hate the Lack of Balance
Mid-Level Professional (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 14, 2018
Love the mission, but hard to work for sometimes. Underpaid and overworked. No real work/life integration or balance. Company is moving in a lot of different directions and does not always communicate effectively or ask for input before making major organizational decisions.
Pros
Benfits are outstanding
Cons
Salary for amount of work
IT Asset & Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2018
The best company and job I ever had. It can be a high stress environment but the mission to assist students is strong and everyone is very driven to ensure that the mission is achieved.
Pros
great mission and benefits
Cons
can be hig stress due to constantly changing atmosphere
Mixed Bag
Site Employee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2018
Company going through many changes (growing in areas and downsizing in others). Turnover is increasing, cultural stability is decreasing. Big gap between work/life/compensation of central organization to national sites.
Great Place to Learn
Project Management Support Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 6, 2018
Great place to develop skills and create new networking opportunities.
Amazing partners and volunteer opportunities.
The coaching aspect can use some work but the people here are there to help promote you to success.
This was an Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2018
This was an internship I attended and learned about business and prepared me for a job for Chase. Got skills in business works and main points of sales.
Productive environment
Student/Training (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2018
They helped me develop my computer repair skills as well as teach me how how to remain professional in the workplace. I have also had the opportunity to connect with my colleagues that are now in different fields.
A place to learn and grow
Admissions/ Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 23, 2018
I enjoyed working at year up. Everyone was helpful and supportive. There is a lot of diversity. The culture is very interactive. Seeing the students graduate was one of the best parts.
Worth the time
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2018
Great program for young men and women who want to persue a career for themself.
1 Year program first 6 months prepares and teaches you for internship.
Pros
experience, resources
All in all it was a great experince.
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 3, 2018
We had the good opportunity to work for big company;'s in the tech field. Working with facebook and google on the tech side. Was a great experience,
I would go and do it again if I could.
Year Up
Help Desk Training, Graduated (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2018
Year Up I an one year IT program where I gained the skills and experience to work in a corrector environment as an IT professional.
In the help desk track my responsibilities consist of providing technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, and hardware. Respond to queries either in person or over the phone. Write training manuals. Train computer users.
Excellent Mission focused Non-Profit
Associate Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2018
Year Up is a great place to work due to its mission to serve opportunity young adults through out the chicagoland area. As an organization they provide excellent benefits and focus on their employees professional development.

If is a fast paced ever changing environment, but if you are willing to put in the work and be a creative out of the box thinker you can really strive with the organization. Also because they are a national organization with 22 sites through out the country, there is ample opportunities to advance within the organization.
Pros
Benefits, mission driven culture, pay, professional development, co-workers
Cons
No tuition assistance for grad school
Stepping stone to career possibilities
Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 7, 2018
If you want to step into a career in business or technology Year Up sets you up perfectly to accomplish that. You will recive training, interview and resume reviews and pretty much every detail required to shape you into a successful career person.
Pros
Opportunity to advance
Cons
low income during the program
Year Up
Regional Director of Corporate Engagement (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 6, 2018
Year Up’s mission is to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education.

We achieve this mission through a high support, high expectation model that combines marketable job skills, stipends, internships and college credits. Our holistic approach focuses on students’ professional and personal development to place these young adults on a viable path to economic self-sufficiency.
A typical day at work
Information Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 2, 2018
As an IT professional, I work hard and fun in a professional corporate setting. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to train people valuable technical skills.
Pros
Friendly and professiona staff, flexible work schedule
Intern
Student & Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 24, 2018
I worked as an intern as well as going to school for furthering my passion. It was an I.T. program that had a two part L&D phase. I earned my internship with a popular company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Year Up. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight