Yelp Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Its a nightmare
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2018
I would never work here again or refer anyone. Management is constantly yelling at people as if they are not adults. You're job is to pick up the phone and harass business owners day after day. If you don't believe in Yelp you will get a stern talking to. The job is a recycling bin, people come and more get recruited. Some drop within the first few day some after 6 months then towards a year you don't even see the same people you started with. Its madness
Pros
Free lunch and event
Cons
Commission and Management
Fun place to work
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
I loved my time at Yelp mainly due to the company's fun and positive culture. Work can get frustrating and tedious at times but that comes with any job. Would love to go back to Yelp again. Had to move cities because of family issues, would have stayed and worked my way up if given a chance!!
Great Culture surrounding a typical telemarketing position
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2018
The company does a great job at dressing up the Telemarketing position to be more than what it is. The job itself is monotonous but the company culture makes sure that everything else outside of the actual workload is great.
Pros
Great Company Culture
Cons
Same job everyday with nothing to mix it up.
Yelp is a Great Place to Work
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 30, 2018
Yelp was a breath of fresh air in the corporate world. Everyone working there were open, honest and friendly. I truly believed that the entire company wanted each employee to succeed not only at Yelp but beyond.
Pros
Cons
No Cons
Good place needs better execution
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 25, 2018
Good job if they give you a good territory to work with. If you can stay focused and avoid all of the high school shenanigans. They have since gotten rid of their contracted services from what I hear so this may open alot of doors for people in the coming years.
Fun environment with coffee shop, kegs, and ping pong tables.
Junior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
Great environment to dive headfirst into sales. Phenomenal training and a very supportive group around you. Everyone there is willing to teach you how to succeed.
Pros
Well stocked kitchen, sales training, healthcare benefits.
Cons
Oftentimes toxic environments generated by poor managers
Great growth potential
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2018
This is a forced review, but Yelp is a solid 3 to 3.5 stars. If you are ambitious and early in your career it is a great place to grow a new career. Not so great if you are well established in San Francisco.
Not a great place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2018
I only worked here a very short time but Yelp was not a good fit for me. My boss and I did not get along and after joining I quit shortly after. Good luck!
Community Ambassador
COMMUNITY AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 19, 2018
Easily the most fun and rewarding job but the pay didn't match up for all the work that goes into this role. It was a great way to network and meet influential business owners. I litterally saw my boss three times the whole two years I was employed so this is great for those who are autonomous hard workers.
Pros
travel
Cons
pay
Very vibrant work culture.They provide great work life balance,however I felt my career was stagnant.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2018
I was looking for a more competitive atmosphere. As I mentioned I felt my career growth was stagnant and wouldntake to long despite great performance to continue to grow. Very nice culture but with my experience in sales and management I desired more for myself. I felt as if I was working amongst young immature college kids notnworrhinf about making money.
Pros
Free lunch, great health care benefits, recognize performance.
Cons
Gets old, felt depressing going through motions
Its a place to work
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2018
Yelp is a big mix of cold calling, amazing people, rejection, and stress. You do learn a bunch if you try. Its stressful and management can be tough and corporate life can be difficult.
Pros
people and goldfish
Cons
cold calling and managment
Yelp is Pretty Alright
Account Executive - Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 11, 2018
Calling business owners who have heard of Yelp 10000 times.
How to effectively call business owners who've been called a lot.
Management is just doing their job and does indeed want you to succeed.
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Seems a bit near-sited
Job for Frat boys and Sorority girls
Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2018
I once was told that if I didnt make a certain number of calls by noon I would be asked to do jumping jacks by my desk. I was in heels and a skirt. The days counting down until my departure started that day
Time is a flat circle
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
For any sales job you would need to work as much as possible to get any rewards. However, same leads, same territories, and no hope for anything better unless you meet Target. NOT Quota, Target. Young and inexperienced management, loosely professional working environment. Great startup feel for right out of college, entry level workers.

Yelp is what it is, need energy, and ability to tolerate redundant work.
Pros
free lunches, breakfast, and great people
Cons
redundant work, strict 8-5, a lot of work, and not a lot of reward.
Used to be great, fallen off wagon
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2018
The company when I joined in 2015 taught people that didn't have sales experience. They valued the people they were bringing in and you were able to succeed as long as you asked for help when needed.

Now I would actively avoid the Chicago office. Management has lost hold on the workforce and the production is abysmal at best. The office and most reps continue to miss their sales quotas over and over again, while they hire huge classes to fill seats and call it productive headcount. Most reps will churn out before the first year of starting.
Start Up Feel, Upbeat, High Energy Workplace
IT Site Support (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 13, 2018
Yelp is a high energy, sales driven company with a young spirit. As a Site Support Tech we can anything technology related which includes Mac support, PC support, VC Support, Phone Support, & Network support.
Pros
Kitchens with supplied food, Team offsites, Flexible hours
Cons
Limited career growth
Fast paced telemarketing sales position
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 8, 2018
Yelp has a very fast paced telemarketing sales position where you start with the first 30 days, then promote to 60, 90 and then promote you to the floor to work your own leads and send you out in to "open waters" to pitch clients different sales packages. Yelp gives the right tools and managers customized to your strengths and weaknesses to help you thrive not only to grow your salary and commission but to also help businesses grow their wallets and philosophies.
Yelp rarely promotes minorities
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
Though they calim to be a diverse company, Yelp rarely promotes minorities. You can count on 1 hand the number of minorities in management in each office.
Company Culture was put secondary to increasing sales
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2018
The job was great but as time went on, the company started to care less about fostering a great culture and more on increasing sales and volume of calls. Management tried to foster a workplace that fostered individuality but the actions of the management team lead to believe otherwise. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers and potential clients, because of managements tendency to micromanage.
Pros
Free kitchen
Cons
micromanagement, focusing on monthly deadlines on a daily basis.
Best Sales training in any company!
Strategic Local Client Partner (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 6, 2018
Yelp trains their employees to be the best salespeople out there. They are very structured and give guidenace every step of the way. All companies can take a page out of their guidebook and it really developed me all around.

My sales acumen is owed solely to my development at Yelp. It was a lot of cold calling the first year but mastering that skill opened new doors to my other roles at the company.
Pros
Culture + fully stocked kitchen
Cons
Very low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yelp. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight