Yelp Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and fun place to work
Junior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
Yelp is a great company. The management is good, very open to conversation and ideas. Free food in the kitchen is awesome. Everything about the job is awesome except the job its self... cold calling.
Pros
free food, fun management
Cons
cold calling, mindless
The place is great, just not for me
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
I really love the company culture here and the management and leadership, I just cant seem to enjoy the actual job of making 100s of cold calls. It's just not for me and I don't find it as rewarding as some others do.
Loved Yelp
Site Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
Working at Yelp was a great experience. I would never ave left the company if I had not had to relocate for personal reasons. Miss working there. Fantastic management and coworkers.
Good place to develop sales skills
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
A typical dat at Yelp includes making about 80 cold calls a day. Your managers are constantly monitoring your metrics. It's a good place to develop one's sales skills. Your coworkers are overall very friendly. You work a 40hr work week, and they provide good health benefits.
Cold calls
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 2, 2018
You show up, make dials, fairly micro-managed in my opinion. A lot of cool perks that come with it and sometimes people think its cool you work there. Business owners can be fairly annoyed with constant barrages of calls. Very grating on the psyche after a while for most people.
Great Job For Those Interested in the Field of Sales
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2018
This is a great job to help you understand the field of sales. It is tough and challenging on a daily basis, with a lot of phone calls, interactions with business owners and the people around you. If you are willing to grind, this job will teach you the necessary skills to help you make it sales. It is also a great place for career advancement, there are an incredible amount of Yelp careers to navigate within the company.
it's a grind of a sales job with a fun culture
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2018
it's a grind because it's an outbound cold-calling sales job. it's tough because of the rejection but also because of the monotony - you do the same thing day in and day out (cold-calling). good experience for sales. fun culture
Pros
401k, healthcare, gym reimbursement
Sugarcoated Telemarketing
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
Being presented with an opportunity for Yelp was awesome until the second week there. I had just graduated from college so I thought it was so great to find a job right away. First week is all training and they hype it up and make it sound awesome, while it's annoying to hear everyone speak like a valley girl, but they tell you not to speak that way on the phone. The second week, your'e cold calling and getting hung up on by everyone you call. Your manager "barges" in on your call and makes you say what they're telling you to say. You're trying to listen to the customer and your manager at the same time. It's not very effective. During the interview they made it seem like you would be working face to face with businesses and before you know it, they give you a headset and your getting hung up on all day. You're basically a telemarketer.
Pros
Awesome Free Kitchen
Cons
Sugarcoating actual job description
Good People Good learning experience.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2018
Great benefits upon hire. Majority of the training class will either leave or be fired after 3 months. You learn a lot of great skills. The job is tough but they want you to succeed.
Young company
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2018
Young company still going through growing pains, where the environment is meant to be fun and easy going the culture is nothing as such. Also there are not many advancement opportunities.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unauthentic leadership and culture
Productive, 5 Star Career with fast-paced advancement
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 15, 2018
I love Yelp and I recommend working here to all my friends and family, if you want a place where you can grow and make life long friends at the same time. Yelp is the place!
Boiler Room
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2018
This is a cold calling job following a script. The job was presented different in interview process from what it actually is. Not recommended for sales reps with experience. Constant micro-managing. BOILER ROOM.
Fast paced work
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 9, 2018
You call small business owners to sell them ads. It's a telemarketing job. It's not the worst thing in the world but it's definitely not the best either.
Pros
free lunch
A good starting place for recent college grads, prepare to grind.
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 9, 2018
I've been working at Yelp for a year and 8 months and during that time I've struggled to live on a very meager salary. The company culture still feels very immature and the leadership struggles to maintain a professional setting at the local sales level. At times it's too loose and feels like a college fraternity. Leadership ranges from managers that are raging alcoholics that hook up with their subordinates while on the other hand there will be managers that are heavy handed with micro managing people and incredibly ineffective with meetings. Since most of the employees are young and are charged with hormones it's no surprise that most employees do not separate boundaries of dating. Pay wise, most employees feel underpaid for amount of work they do and this is especially true for reps that speak multiple languages and take an additional unpaid account management role. The job is highly stressful because pay is dicey since there is a high rate of client churn and most of your success is not controllable. Furthermore, career "promotions" are mostly lateral moves with no increase in pay.

If there is one positive thing I can take away, it's that I've become skilled at handling nonsense while developing a strong work ethic to survive on little pay. Going forward I know that I will succeed in any job I pick up in the future exactly because of the many struggles I've endured while at Yelp.
Pros
free frozen burritos and gourmet instant ramen, full health benefits
Cons
little pay, long hours, little control over success, poor leadership
Love Yelp
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 8, 2018
If everything had worked out the way I intended I'd still be there. People are fun, they take an interest, they live out if you work hard you're gonna play hard. They take pride being able to help businesses make money in a new way, while helping the consumer find a great business.
Great office environment
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2018
Yelp has a culture of working hard and playing hard. Meaning, if you achieved all your work goals, there were rewards for employees in the form of fully stocked kitchen for breakfast and lunch. After work hours, employees get to enjoy beer from the kegs in the office.
Pros
Free food and lunch
Cons
Cold calling small business owner can be challenging
Entry Sales Position
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 21, 2018
If you love cold calling I've got a job for you! Basically call small businesses all day trying to reach the decision maker to get them to buy into the Yelp advertising platform.
Yelp
Account Executive/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 20, 2018
Great work environment with great benefits. Directly called upon small local businesses in the Midwest to pitch them on Yelps advertising platform. Cold called 60-80 businesses a day.
Summary
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2018
Really great culture and awesome training and management team. However if you do not like sales and cold calling this is simply not the job for you...
Remote Account Executive (Current Employee) –  san franciscoMarch 11, 2018
love this place. the benefits are amazing company culture is great job is stressful like most sales but can get overwhelm ing at times but its an amazing opportunity you learn alot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yelp. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

83%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss