Yelp Employee Reviews

Great out of college job
Jr. Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2019
This company has a great culture for meeting new people. Gives you the chance to develop your self as a sales professional while being surrounded by those who support you. Management could do a better job of knowing how to interact with different culture backgrounds other than white.
Pros
Work with great people and culture.
Cons
Pay and commission, feel like it could be structured different. Feel like no matter how much I work, never reflects my pay check.
Productive, competitive but fun work atmosphere
Inside Sales Representative (ISR) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2019
Call businesses who are currently on Yelp to sell them Yelp ads and hit required metrics.. I learned how to sell and deal with objections from business owners. Management was great and very helpful when trying to close a deal. The hardest part of the job is dealing with objection and trying to get the business owner to listen and show them about Yelp ads. The workplace is fun and anytime making a sale, you get to hit the gong and everyone celebrates for you. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being able to have fun and be yourself over the phone.
Pros
free lunches, helpful management
Cons
Short breaks and having to make enough in sales to be commission eligible
Out of college job only
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2019
If you're out of college this job might be great for you. Free food, pool tables, and they blast music while you're making calls.

The culture is awful though. A sales force of 500+ people "ripping" dials to business owners that are tired of hearing from Yelp and people hitting gongs and screaming.

Be prepared to make upwards of 80 dials to businesses that have been called literally a hundred times.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bogus commission structure
Good first job
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2018
I think that Yelp is a good first job, but not so much a lifelong career. They hire employees in large classes and naturally half of the people won't be cut out for the pressure of cold calling and will quit under a year. Each class also will have a handful all stars that are promoted to management or other higher levels of sales after around a year mark. I think that this job provides a solid base for sales, but it is not a great lifelong career because once you've been on the job for a year you aren't learning much more or expanding on your skillset if you are still in local sales. They do a good job of providing a fun environment, and I do love the management of the company.
Pros
free lunch, fun environment
Cons
cold calling, KPIs
Great first job!
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2018
If you are a new college grad with BS in anything and no work experience, this is a great job for you. Benefits start from day one and uncapped commission once you are eligible to make commission. Beer after work and free fully stocked kitchen all the time. 90% fresh college grads from all over the place.
Pros
great benefits, fun work environment, free food, and beer
Cons
crowded and expensive city, no parking benefits or pet/baby sitting service.
Yelp is a big company, and they treat their employees like that
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2019
Work day: Cold calls and team meetings
Learned: How to be self reliant
Management: Constantly changing
Culture: Party atmosphere
Hardest part: Constant changing of sales process and retention of management
Enjoyable: Free lunch and understanding how to deal with rejection
Great company
Elite Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2018
I think that Yelp has a great work environment and good leadership but overall needs more training for employees who have been at the job longer. Once you get past a certain level in the sales role. There is no real outside motivation from the company or management to keep you interested or invested in working there. If you are only money motivated this is the perfect job for you.
Fun and competitive workplace
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 15, 2018
Everyday you are expected to make 80 phone calls to prospective businesses in your pipeline and send 40 emails. It's a highly competitive working environment. I learned how to navigate Salesforce and Excel. Gave me confidence when speaking with business owners and how to negotiate with them on how to best advertise their business on Yelp. The people were great and kept you positive.
Pros
Sometimes free lunch and referral bonus.
Cons
No job security and low compensation.
Comany as a whole is great
Senior Chargeback Representative (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 15, 2018
The company as a whole is great with a good outlook for the future.
The Managers often give credit to others and not to those that work hard and often time for get about the people who have worked hard for years.
Also, the crowd is a younger generation that is very sensitive to everything you say and will often time be offended by generally quiet people.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Managers can suck at times and forget about you.
You only get out what you put into it
Strategic Client Partner, Account Management (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 9, 2018
You only get out what you put into it

That is really the truth at Yelp. The training there is exceptional and they will really work with you to make you successful. Cold calling sucks but it's somewhere to start where you can make very good money early. Not for the faint of heart. Will be told to harshly screw off while on the acquisition side. This is hard sales but it's a great place to learn to do that well.
Pros
Good money to be made. Great people to work with
Cons
Growth pattern is capped. I am leaving because I don't want to get promoted further
Great place to start sales career
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 18, 2018
The management team is very supportive in the sales department. They want to make sure that you understand the sales process. Yelp promotes and hires internally, and it kind of cheap for a tech company. Cheap as in, the lunch provided, vacation days, no laptops, cant work from home, and strict hours
Pros
management team
Cons
perks
Great culture and work environment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 4, 2019
Overall decent place to work. Definitely a place for young fresh into the work force people. Be prepared to call leads that have been overly worked and aggressively pursued.
Pros
Free lunches. Benefits package is amazing
Cons
Pressure from management to hit some hefty daily metrics.
Fun workplace, high exceptions
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2019
Cold-calling is hard, but with my team, my manager, and my perseverance I was able to learn and grow everyday. The job is difficult, there are very high expectations set on you, but the people and workplace environment make it better.
Pros
Workplace culture
Cons
High expectations
January 29, 2019

Thank you for your response. We agree that cold calling sales is not for everyone, so we're happy to hear that you find your work challenging and rewarding at the same time.

Great Workplace culture
Elite Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 12, 2018
Yelp was a fantastic place to work. Management really cared about their employees and stressed a very transparent mode of communication. Company needs to work on retaining their employees better by giving them more opportunities to grow.
Pros
Free food all day, Barista offers free coffee, great people.
Cons
Non-flexible hours, not enough autonomy, barely any communication across departments
Great location
Senior Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 12, 2019
The best working environment for people under 30 years old. I would encourage people of all ages to apply for work at Yelp but to keep in mind that the culture caters to students just graduating from college.
Pros
Awesome opportunity
Cons
Music was too loud
Great role models and positive reinforcement!
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 3, 2019
Yelp provides a wonderful opportunity for growth. I was guided with a lot of positive mindset and sales strategies to improve each and every day. I had a great experience.
Pros
free lunches, great holiday party!
Cons
rejection
Very young and vibrant work culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2018
Fast-paced environment , not much room for growth. Work culture was good and the people were also a joy to work with. I worked with a great team. Breakfast and lunch provided for employees
Pros
Fun work culture
Cons
Pay wasn't good
Best Place I've worked
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2018
Yelp is an amazing company to work for, for the most part. I worked in the Phoenix, AZ office and overall enjoyed every minute of it. The benefits, work life balance, people and atmosphere, are all stellar.

The one fault was with management. There is a very youthful culture which lends to youthful management. This is not always the best situation. There was an air of favoritism amongst management as a result.
December 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to create an environment that is inclusive of all of our employees, so we appreciate your candid response and will use your feedback to improve our team in the future.

productive, fun workplace
Associate Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
It's a great sales job, they have a wonderful training program, they are supportive, and the culture can be fun. Although they reiterate the importance of respecting sales prospects and recommending what is best for them, management does put pressure on employees to "do what ever it takes" to make the largest sum of money as possible each day, despite the fact that it might not be helpful to the sales prospect. They are supportive and recognize employee's hard work, but there is a tremendous amount of pressure put on managers and sales reps each month. That part of the job was unfortunate, but I did gain valuable experience in communications and marketing strategies.
Pros
great benefits, office, and snacks
Cons
cold calling the same sales prospects multiple times
January 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you gained invaluable sales skills during your time at Yelp. We appreciate all that you contributed to our team!

Its a nightmare
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2018
I would never work here again or refer anyone. Management is constantly yelling at people as if they are not adults. You're job is to pick up the phone and harass business owners day after day. If you don't believe in Yelp you will get a stern talking to. The job is a recycling bin, people come and more get recruited. Some drop within the first few day some after 6 months then towards a year you don't even see the same people you started with. Its madness
Pros
Free lunch and event
Cons
Commission and Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yelp. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight