YMCA of Greater Boston Employee Reviews

Don’t Even Bother
Childcare Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 9, 2019
Management is awful they are unhelpful and sometimes just completely ignorant . Lots of drama and issues made over the small things when the larger issues are ignored . Pay was awful , the only positive to this was meeting some great people but if you are considering a job with the Y I would advise against it.
Fun work place
Teen Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAJune 27, 2019
Great place to work. I love working with my teens and taking them to different Colleges. My boss was really good and understanding. He always was willing to take advice
Fun summer job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, MAMay 28, 2019
This is not a career job for me. I had a lot of fun working this job one summer. Working with kids was a blast and weekly field trips were something to look forward to.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Little career advancement
Don’t Bother
Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2019
Do not waste your time with Wang YMCA. Awful culture, poor management and lack of communication throughout. Everyone that works there is miserable. You will waste so much time working here. Do yourself a favor and do not work for this branch. You will put in 50 hours a week and still be treated poorly.
Fun workplace
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAApril 1, 2019
Fun workplace, kind understanding people, family like atmosphere. Employees were all kind as was the boss. Very flexible and overall great place to be did not feel like work. It was enjoyable
Pros
Break time, flexibility
Cons
I loved working with kids
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 5, 2019
It was a job where I learned to handle kids more, especially preschoolers, where they're more likely to be a little bit crazy, but it was fun learning how they interact with each other and adults.
No longer a nice place to work
Indoor Cycling/Spin and Group Exercise Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAFebruary 5, 2019
I used to love this Y. Low membership. Terrible "safety" training. Poor conditions--dripping ceilings, mildew growing in the cycle room, drop ceiling disintegrating and falling during class.
Lead Infant/Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAFebruary 4, 2019
I worked as a teacher and I like my job for the most part, just alot of mismanagement and lack of positive leadership. I would work there again if it was under better managment.
Ymca
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 12, 2018
This is a great environment for getting to know different people. The employees are very friendly. This job is great for teenagers to start. YMCA is a benefit for weight loss
Pros
nice place to work
Cons
Don't pay enough
Friendly and welcoming to the new workers.
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, MANovember 4, 2018
Everyone is nice and whenever i am in need of assistance someone would be there to help me whenever i need it. The most enjoyable part of that job was that i would get to see the smile on the kids faces when they are happy.
Pros
Free lunches
Nice
Welcome Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MANovember 2, 2018
Roxbury location is great. The coworkers were like family and everyone pinched in, so no overworking yourself. They value team efforts it was very effective.
No advancement
Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 30, 2018
Great if you are young and need a summer job. However, not for seasoned professionals, upper management needs training on good business practices. Should listen to those working with the families/children to understand how to run branches, after-school programs, etc. Also marketing looks good but do not care about the kids and the mostly families of color. YMCA of Boston Management needs so much training, bad business decisions
on a regular basis. Not enough time is given to get initiatives completed, work is always rushed.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
no support of staff
Very nice people at the YMCA
Exercise and swim teacher (Current Employee) –  China Town BostonSeptember 18, 2018
Very nice staff and family oriented culture. A typical day involved cleaning up the pool area, greeting parents and children and doing classes with the children. It takes experience to become a good swimming teacher.
Pros
Can be fun.
Cons
Water is cold.
A fun, fast paced environment. Great colleagues. Exceptional professional Development opportunities
Site Director- Curtis Guild Elementary School (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAFebruary 24, 2016
I learned a great deal from the people I worked with. Having the support of my colleagues was one of the best parts about my employment with the YMCA of Greater Boston. The YMCA had great progressional development and learning opportunities for all staff.

During my employment I was abel to grow has a manager and develop stronger interpersonal skills, problem solving skills, decisions making skills and so much more.

The most difficult part of the job was the work life balance. There were many times I needed to work well past the eight hours a day. Although I enjoyed what I was doing sometimes it was a detriment to my personal life, which many of us need in order to be the best we can be in any career.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work the with students. I loved being able to connect with them, help them with their school work and just be their someone to talk to.
Very productive and fun place to work
Kitchen Crew Worker (Former Employee) –  Laconia, NHFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day at work was fun and very easy.

i learned how to use a slicer while working this job.

Management was awesome, everyone was so nice and treated each other like family.

The most enjoyable part of the job was everything, work was very easy and you really get to enjoy what you are doing no matter what it is that you are doing.
Pros
free lunch, healthcare, fun
Inspriring and Challenging Work -
Youth Program Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work. The work is challenging but meaningul. Creativity is encouraged and managers are given leeway to be creative with their limited resources to do the impactful work of the Y.

The best part of working for the Y are the people. Tribelike "Y people" are (mostly) cause driven, caring individuals who genuinely want to make a positive difference to their community and change peoples lives for the better rather than be motivated by sales revenue.

While there are goals to be met and managers to appease, working with people and families everyday makes it worth it.

Being a program director, you are given the authority and trust to do what you think is best for the program. On the flip side, you are held accountable if it fails or falters, and this means that you often end up working lots of extra hours to guarantee its success.

"I`ll make this work if it kills me" sums it up pretty well and it can be difficult to unplug as a program director.

Overall great place to work, if you care enough!
Pros
Excellent Career Development Model, Purposeful Mission Driven Work
Cons
Long Working Hours, Limited Resources, Difficult Work/Home balance.
very productive amazing location to work at, co workers are great, most enjoyable part of the job is working with children and adults
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2015
Amazing ymca location , so many activities for the staff and memebers. They always have a great attitude when you arrive and leave! The ymca of greater boston has the top lifeguards and swim lessons in boston!
Perfect
Sports Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 27, 2015
Perfect place for me at the time . Great co-workers and managment. Great work experince for me dealing with kid. I would work there again.
Great learning environment, after school program with school aged children
Group Educator (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAOctober 10, 2015
I manage my own group of children grade K-2nd, I organize fun learning and self esteem groups, exercise/stretching, dance activies, arts and crafts, manage curriculum and prioritize safety of children at all times.
Front Desk Attendant / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2015
Great environment, wonderful coworkers and management team, Y members are friendly and enthusiastic, happy people. Great place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Greater Boston. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

YMCA of Greater Boston Reviews by Location