YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago Employee Reviews

All your effort in making this a great place to work.
Site Director / Youth Basketball League Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 29, 2018
The group workers are really the heroes of this organization. The right attitude makes or breaks an environment and for the most part, employees are on board. However management could be better.

As a non-profit, the Y's mission does not correlate with its actions. It all comes down to bottom line here. In my eight years working here, (plus two years volunteering), it was always understaffed. It was a revolving door for Executive Directors and, with the exception of three managers, the wrong people were always promoted or hired for these positions.
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
No benefits, job- not a career, poorly compensated
Stay for the experience, then find a better position
Family Service Worker/Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
Because you are assigned multiple roles and responsibilities, there is a lot to learn and take advantage of the skill set needed to complete the job. Beware, the environment is very mean girls and if you are not "liked" there is absolutely no room for advancement. Nepotism runs rampant!

great Resume booster
Pros
wealth of experience and knowledge, resume builder
Cons
no room for advancement, nepotism, low salary
Good benefits
Doula (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2018
The position offered very good medical, dental, vision, life insurance and reimbursement benefits. They also covered all travel expenses and trainings
A nice place to build character and become a better employee
Swim instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2017
Working at the south side YMCA in Chicago comes with many ups and down. Management was a huge problem at the YMCA and result of that as a employee i step up and many occasions and took responsibility and work long hours. Overall I have become a better person and met many nice coworkers.
Pros
nice salary, free membership, nice coworkers
Cons
rude members, poor management
It was a great place to work. I wish there were more clients.
Homemaker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
YMCA was an awesome place to work. I wish there was more clients, so the business wouldn't have closed. If the company open again, I'll be the first person to apply.
Pros
You get to make your on schedule.
Cons
I wanted more hours.
I love working for the ymca
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 15, 2012
I have worked at the YMCA of Metro Chicago for nearly 5 years. It is a wounderful place to learn, grow and thrive. The organization offers countless development opportunities as well as fosters core valures centered on honesty, caring, respect and, responsibility.

The working enviornment is easy going and the the work/lif balance is certainly a value-add. I am a happy employee that encourages any person interested in making a career change, consider working for the YMCA of Metro Chicago--you will be satisfied.
Pros
work/life balance, advancement, culture values
Cons
compensation
productive work place
Youth Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 26, 2015
My typical day at work is setting up the room before kids come in from school. I take out the journals, coloring sheets, and word searchers. Place homework binder and attendance sheets on table. My coworkers come in and we discuss the plan and schedule for the day.

What I learn is teamwork and communication is the key. When you work as a team the day go smooth and everything falls in place. When you communicate with each other your work is productive and operate effectively. You interact better with each other.

Management can be flexible and supportive. Coworkers sometimes can be supportive and helpful.

The hardest part of the job when there is lack of communication. and no one backs you up. The most enjoyable part of the job are working with the kids. They have interesting things to say. They also can keep a smile on your face.
Pros
short hours, no benefits, and low pay
Cons
flexiable
Super long hiring process
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILApril 9, 2018
So it took me about a month just to go through the hiring process. They were all set and ready to go with getting me on board. However, my CPR certification lasts for two years, and according to their polices mine had already expired. This is because the Y does yearly certs, so you would need to renew your certifications every year. Management told me they would find me a CPR class, and cover the charge for it. Then all of a sudden, I get a call from the assistant manager telling me that I need to cover the charge of the CPR class myself, and find my own class. This tells me that the assistant manager and the supervisor do not communicate all too well, as the supervisor told me they would help find me a CPR class and cover the expenses. Needless to say, they never found a class for me, and I found a job elsewhere. They wasted my time, and their own in hiring me. If there had been a bit more communication, and they had looked at my certifications BEFORE hiring me, then this wouldn't have been an issue. Overall, bad experience. Took them about a month to hire me, then they did not even bother to help get me re certified when IT WAS COMMUNICATED TO ME THEY WOULD.
Pros
Cons
long hiring process, poor communication, stressful
Slave work horse culture
Membership Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day consist of making prospect calls to get memberships, taking payments, opening memberships, making sure members are paid, filing paperwork. (I'm a front desk employee). I literally came from a totally different work environment so being in an somewhat administrative setting was a change. The management ultimately doesn't care about anything but membership goals. LITERALLY. Some of the older front desk associates really should be rewarded for their work and loyalty because the management constantly uses them as far as making them work insane shifts, demoting them, and of course the terrible wages. The hardest part of this job is ALL the work you do for $10 an hour, with slow hours if your management is looking out for "the budget"...The most enjoyable part has been getting to know people who have tried to help me look for other jobs.
Pros
A free membership
Cons
Lack of training, viable compensation, at times intense workload.
Driven non-profit
Senior Procurement Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2018
YMCA lives by its mission statement and is driven by community involvement. Warm surroundings, and safe children's activities. Tempo is positive and leadership is hands-on
Pros
Active
Fun workplace
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 25, 2017
work at sites in local schools
follow s.t.e.a.m. based curriculum.
teach healthy living and core values
work with kids k-5th grade
serve snacks to kids
lead activities such as crafts, science, gym games, homework and study time, and plan a yearly fundraiser event for your site.
Keep up certifications and training for YMCA and childcare
You are responsible for your site.
Keeping it clean and organized and keeping supplies stocked.
Pros
flexible schedules, no weekends
Cons
limited hours, seasonal position
Flexible job
Youth Enrichment Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2018
they work with your school schedule, great job if you're a student. if you want a higher position you have to work your butt off for them to even consider you and you don't even get paid enough for that.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
Poor Communication
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2018
Although I enjoyed working at one the Chicago location for a few years, the frequent changes in management led to gross miscommunication. In addition to that, the facility let go of several highly qualified instructors and replaced them with inexperienced people.
Awesome Experience!
Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2013
The YMCA is an awesome organization! There is a huge need for increased resources, but we work with what we have!! We love our members and our members love us. I dont feel the pay is spread fairly between employee positions, but it never interferes with the level of service we set out to deliver daily. If you love to work hard, have fun, and meet great people from all over, apply today!
Pros
strong family values upheld, strong senior community, lots of children's services for working moms
Cons
wages need to be more in-line with current cost of living, expensive benefits packages
Great non- for profit organization
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
I've resumed numerous roles here and its honestly a great place to work . Because it is a non for profit organization the wages are low and we don't receive raises.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Low wages
Management was poor at best
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Lac du Flambeau, WIMay 14, 2018
The management team picked favorites, including siblings that shouldn't have been hired, and allowed them to have much easier schedules as well as much more relaxed rules.
Pros
free lodging
Cons
management was awful, pay was low.
Working for the YMCA of Metro Chicago is truly a great experience!
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2012
I had the oppurtinity to start within the association by completing an internship within the Community Schools Initative. I then was offered a wonderful oppurtinity to join the association as a program director at one of our membership centers. The human resources staff were very beneficial in helping me through that process. The association leadership, directors and staff are truly dedicated to enriching the lives of everyone involved with everything we do. Overal a great association to work with!
Pros
good benefits, great staff, strong leadership
I enjoy the work I do and the people I serve
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2013
I have an opportunity to assist families in setting goals and steps to accomplishing the goals. These goals are designed to help improve the function of the family. I have been privileged to have multiple opportunities to advance and improve my skills by attending workshops and training. I have supportive co-workers and supervisor who I enjoy collaborating with to accomplish the task of helping each family. The most enjoyable part of my job is watch families grow and achieve the goals they set.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Limited growth potential
top heavy salaries
Director, Communications and Public Relations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2018
CEO pay is a joke. CEOs brought too much of a corporate ethos to the organization, selling off assets was good for the bottom line but was completely counter to the mission
Pros
Good people, mission driven
Cons
leadership not always committed to service-oriented mission
yeah
Housekeeper/ Assistant Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2018
i love working for the ymca best job ever team members are like family. i worked houskeeping but learned how to do so much more there. from refreeing volleyball games to being an asst. coach.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight