YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago Employee Reviews

It was a great place to work. I wish there were more clients.
Homemaker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
YMCA was an awesome place to work. I wish there was more clients, so the business wouldn't have closed. If the company open again, I'll be the first person to apply.
Pros
You get to make your on schedule.
Cons
I wanted more hours.
Driven non-profit
Senior Procurement Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2018
YMCA lives by its mission statement and is driven by community involvement. Warm surroundings, and safe children's activities. Tempo is positive and leadership is hands-on
Pros
Active
Cons
Stay for the experience, then find a better position
Family Service Worker/Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
Because you are assigned multiple roles and responsibilities, there is a lot to learn and take advantage of the skill set needed to complete the job. Beware, the environment is very mean girls and if you are not "liked" there is absolutely no room for advancement. Nepotism runs rampant!

great Resume booster
Pros
wealth of experience and knowledge, resume builder
Cons
no room for advancement, nepotism, low salary
yeah
Housekeeper/ Assistant Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2018
i love working for the ymca best job ever team members are like family. i worked houskeeping but learned how to do so much more there. from refreeing volleyball games to being an asst. coach.
Great company that has room for growth
Certified Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2018
I worked here for a few years and I must say I hated to hear of them closing the company. I was comfortable with the staff and was very pleased with all my clients that I was assigned to.
I was the Membership/Marketing Coordinator
Membership/Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2018
I was the Membership/Marketing Coordinator and computer coach for the whole facility and was there for 12 years and when i left i was only getting paid 11.54 per hour.
Amazing and High Integrity
Executive Assistant & Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2018
Loved my boss and loved the family / work balance. Appreciated all the training and empowering to move up in your role if you desired to move. Environment was extremely flexible.
Flexible job
Youth Enrichment Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2018
they work with your school schedule, great job if you're a student. if you want a higher position you have to work your butt off for them to even consider you and you don't even get paid enough for that.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
Poor Communication
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2018
Although I enjoyed working at one the Chicago location for a few years, the frequent changes in management led to gross miscommunication. In addition to that, the facility let go of several highly qualified instructors and replaced them with inexperienced people.
Management was poor at best
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Lac du Flambeau, WIMay 14, 2018
The management team picked favorites, including siblings that shouldn't have been hired, and allowed them to have much easier schedules as well as much more relaxed rules.
Pros
free lodging
Cons
management was awful, pay was low.
Excellent Volunteer opportunity
Adminstrative Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2018
Volunteer for a few years, helping with administrative office tasks, from filing, scanning, helping with event coordination. The Manager was great and flexible.
Pros
Flexible schedule for volunteers, events super fun
Productive fast paced environment
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2018
Keeping track of upcoming events in the program. Making sure all program sites have their supplies and a plan to pick up youth and feed them during the program time. Veterans are prepped and given all the materials they need.
It's Not What It Used to Be
Membership Associate /Social Media Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2018
There was a time when the YMCA focused on the community. The members were like a family and even the workers operated as a family. However, the environment changed as the focus appeared to be more about numbers and money. There wasn't a lot of community outreach as it used to be. A lot of company changes made internally placed a lot of stress on the job.
Good benefits
Doula (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2018
The position offered very good medical, dental, vision, life insurance and reimbursement benefits. They also covered all travel expenses and trainings
top heavy salaries
Director, Communications and Public Relations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2018
CEO pay is a joke. CEOs brought too much of a corporate ethos to the organization, selling off assets was good for the bottom line but was completely counter to the mission
Pros
Good people, mission driven
Cons
leadership not always committed to service-oriented mission
Super long hiring process
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILApril 9, 2018
So it took me about a month just to go through the hiring process. They were all set and ready to go with getting me on board. However, my CPR certification lasts for two years, and according to their polices mine had already expired. This is because the Y does yearly certs, so you would need to renew your certifications every year. Management told me they would find me a CPR class, and cover the charge for it. Then all of a sudden, I get a call from the assistant manager telling me that I need to cover the charge of the CPR class myself, and find my own class. This tells me that the assistant manager and the supervisor do not communicate all too well, as the supervisor told me they would help find me a CPR class and cover the expenses. Needless to say, they never found a class for me, and I found a job elsewhere. They wasted my time, and their own in hiring me. If there had been a bit more communication, and they had looked at my certifications BEFORE hiring me, then this wouldn't have been an issue. Overall, bad experience. Took them about a month to hire me, then they did not even bother to help get me re certified when IT WAS COMMUNICATED TO ME THEY WOULD.
Pros
Cons
long hiring process, poor communication, stressful
Very slow paced
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILApril 2, 2018
Working here wasn't my best time. As a lifeguard time moves very slow. Management was ok but not exceptional. Some coworkers that were hired never should've been hired in the first place.
Productive and amazing children’s area
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  PalatineMarch 12, 2018
The children’s area was full of different things to do for the kids. The baby room was equip with everything we needed including clothing for children who made a mess
Cons
Short breaks
Toxic work environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
While the overall YMCA organization has a wonderful cause, this Association was unable to develop strategic goals to execute in pursuit of that cause or their own local branch mission. This made it impossible to execute any initiative with success or measure it's effectiveness.
Review
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2018
The YMCA was a great experience to start your career not a place a last career. The pay is less than you would make outside the YMCA. Good location in the city

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight