YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago Employee Reviews

Poor Communication
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2018
Although I enjoyed working at one the Chicago location for a few years, the frequent changes in management led to gross miscommunication. In addition to that, the facility let go of several highly qualified instructors and replaced them with inexperienced people.
Management was poor at best
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Lac du Flambeau, WIMay 14, 2018
The management team picked favorites, including siblings that shouldn't have been hired, and allowed them to have much easier schedules as well as much more relaxed rules.
Pros
free lodging
Cons
management was awful, pay was low.
Excellent Volunteer opportunity
Adminstrative Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2018
Volunteer for a few years, helping with administrative office tasks, from filing, scanning, helping with event coordination. The Manager was great and flexible.
Pros
Flexible schedule for volunteers, events super fun
It's Not What It Used to Be
Membership Associate /Social Media Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2018
There was a time when the YMCA focused on the community. The members were like a family and even the workers operated as a family. However, the environment changed as the focus appeared to be more about numbers and money. There wasn't a lot of community outreach as it used to be. A lot of company changes made internally placed a lot of stress on the job.
Good benefits
Doula (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2018
The position offered very good medical, dental, vision, life insurance and reimbursement benefits. They also covered all travel expenses and trainings
top heavy salaries
Director, Communications and Public Relations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2018
CEO pay is a joke. CEOs brought too much of a corporate ethos to the organization, selling off assets was good for the bottom line but was completely counter to the mission
Pros
Good people, mission driven
Cons
leadership not always committed to service-oriented mission
Super long hiring process
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILApril 9, 2018
So it took me about a month just to go through the hiring process. They were all set and ready to go with getting me on board. However, my CPR certification lasts for two years, and according to their polices mine had already expired. This is because the Y does yearly certs, so you would need to renew your certifications every year. Management told me they would find me a CPR class, and cover the charge for it. Then all of a sudden, I get a call from the assistant manager telling me that I need to cover the charge of the CPR class myself, and find my own class. This tells me that the assistant manager and the supervisor do not communicate all too well, as the supervisor told me they would help find me a CPR class and cover the expenses. Needless to say, they never found a class for me, and I found a job elsewhere. They wasted my time, and their own in hiring me. If there had been a bit more communication, and they had looked at my certifications BEFORE hiring me, then this wouldn't have been an issue. Overall, bad experience. Took them about a month to hire me, then they did not even bother to help get me re certified when IT WAS COMMUNICATED TO ME THEY WOULD.
Pros
Cons
long hiring process, poor communication, stressful
Very slow paced
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILApril 2, 2018
Working here wasn't my best time. As a lifeguard time moves very slow. Management was ok but not exceptional. Some coworkers that were hired never should've been hired in the first place.
Productive and amazing children’s area
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  PalatineMarch 12, 2018
The children’s area was full of different things to do for the kids. The baby room was equip with everything we needed including clothing for children who made a mess
Cons
Short breaks
Toxic work environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
While the overall YMCA organization has a wonderful cause, this Association was unable to develop strategic goals to execute in pursuit of that cause or their own local branch mission. This made it impossible to execute any initiative with success or measure it's effectiveness.
Review
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2018
The YMCA was a great experience to start your career not a place a last career. The pay is less than you would make outside the YMCA. Good location in the city
fun workplace
YMCA Drop-in Childcare (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2018
fun workplace with friendly children and staff. sometimes fast paces especially on the weekends but weeknights are usually slow. love the staff around here and my colleagues
I loved everyone there
Swim Lesson Instructor (Current Employee) –  Antioch, ILDecember 12, 2017
I worked with some amazing coworkers and the patrons were the best I could have asked for. I only wish that I could have brought them with when I moved.
It,s a Chicago thing
Customer Service & Housing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2017
CMYMCA is a fine non for profit group with it's heart in the right place, but like many they prefer to stay the course and turn a blind eye to internal issues and focus on their public persona.
Pros
you get to help people
Cons
not a lot of advancement ops.
YMCA can be great
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
YMCA of metropolitan Chicago is a fast paced entity that can be great when great people lead. There is a killed or be killed mentalitly amongst the management that is scary beyond belief.
Pros
comraderie
Cons
questionable management
It was a tempory position.
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2017
I worked hard everyday to prove my worth towards the company, manager. After two years of dedicated service, I was asked to resign for "Business Reasons", which remains beyond my comprehension today.
Pros
Family involvement
Cons
Lack of management communication
Great non- for profit organization
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
I've resumed numerous roles here and its honestly a great place to work . Because it is a non for profit organization the wages are low and we don't receive raises.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Low wages
okay
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2017
THe job itself wasn't too bad but the environment and other staff were intolerable and typically too lazy to run activities. Main aspects of the job are preventing child abuse, allowing for inclusivity in activities and making sure that everyone is safe and accounted for.
A nice place to build character and become a better employee
Swim instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2017
Working at the south side YMCA in Chicago comes with many ups and down. Management was a huge problem at the YMCA and result of that as a employee i step up and many occasions and took responsibility and work long hours. Overall I have become a better person and met many nice coworkers.
Pros
nice salary, free membership, nice coworkers
Cons
rude members, poor management
Easy
Sports and Recreation Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
I would make lesson plans for the classes that I would be teaching. I make sure that the kids are safe and are enjoying the fact they are learning a new sport.
Pros
easy
Cons
easy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago Reviews by Location