YMCA Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LANovember 17, 2017
Summer time volunteer where I was able to mentor to the youth. Visits consists of positive choice speeches and others days consisted of playing games. My role was to let the youth from my hometown know it’s a way out
Pros
Encouraging the Youth
Cons
Watching some of the slip through the Cracks
Up's and down's
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 17, 2017
It is a great place to work however, if you work hard at your job you don't get paid what you should. Hard to move up in sometimes when they tell you its possible. Great message and great people to work with all around.
Good Place dependable upon location
P.S.54 Afterschool & Summer Camp Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 17, 2017
Generally a good place to work with benefits. Varies from branch to branch and Directors. The WORK you do is awesome and benefits the community as a whole. You really have to value what you do to feel successful.
Pros
Insurance, Events, and PTO
Cons
Management and Work Balance
Easy and friendly envy
Before and After School Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTNovember 17, 2017
The Ymca is one of the best places that I’ve worked and I think it’s one of the most easiest places to work and I also think you can excel very easily but the pay is trash
Excellent fun place to b
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 16, 2017
Enjoyed the children and coworkers and site directors .enjoyed the school and meeting new parents and students and learning new games. Really enjoyed my kindergarteners .
Pros
Free YMCA membership
Cons
Not enough hrs
Long time working there
Leader In Training, C.I.T, Counselor (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, CTNovember 16, 2017
Great experience - I learned a lot about myself working here and going to camp here when I was younger. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for this camp.
Fast paced, family friendly work place
Program Leader 1 (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 16, 2017
Worked with the SACC Program. Fast paced job. Great as a starting out position or second job. Due to nature of job, pay rate is low. But people are great to work with for the most part.
Pros
Free gym membership
Negative job culture at this location
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 16, 2017
Working at the YMCA of Austin was a stressful experience. Expecations for part time staff members in the childcare department were higher than necessary based on the work hours available. (Even in management positions, pay and hours were considered part time) Upper management at this location was difficult to speak with regarding job stress levels.
Fun Work Place
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PANovember 16, 2017
The kids enjoyed coming everyday learning new songs according to the theme that week. Everyday they went swimming and that was their favorite part. The kids enjoyed going outside twice a day as well,weather permitting.
Awesome job sad to leave it
Childcare Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 16, 2017
It was an awesome job to work with kids every day. Great learning experience for me as well as the kids. Got to teach them things like how water and oil don't mix. How gas pressure works and how to tap into their more creative side. Plus the managers there are all super awesome and nice. Sad to see that job go I really wish I didn't have to leave.
Pros
Free membership to the YMCA
Cons
Short hours
Love
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 16, 2017
I loved working for the YMCA, I would never have left if I didn't have to move out of state. Management was always fair and encouraging, other employees enjoyed their jobs so the workplace was always fun and never really felt like work. I worked hard and management took notice, I was promoted after only being employed for a few months.
Pros
Fun
Cons
None!
Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IANovember 16, 2017
Lifeguarding is the best when you, of course, don’t have to rescue anyone because you don’t want to risk anything when referring to this part of the job. Must stay alert.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
Great place to work and work out and fun for children.
Teacher / Assistant Group Supervisor (Current Employee) –  90 North Newberry St.November 16, 2017
Overall it was a great place to work I miss it. I miss working with the kids and familes. I also miss my co_ workers but some time we have to move on.
Not a good place to work
Grand Haven - Licensed Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MINovember 16, 2017
Terrible childcare management. If you are looking for a place that treats employees properly, do not work here. Terrible pay and you do not ever get a pay raise. All around just terrible.
eh
Training Center Staff & Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDNovember 16, 2017
Wasnt a bad job compensation was bad and benefits arent offered to anyone but directors. you can work more then 32 to 40 hours in a week cause then youre full time
Educational and transferrable skills set.
Leader VI (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 16, 2017
Prep for children daily educational lessons and activities.
Everyday consists of new challenges or something that enlighten me. to see children thrive
Pros
Enjoyable most of the time.
Cons
parental issues.
stressful from but ok
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  albany gaNovember 16, 2017
working at albany ymca was a challenge at times. The director had no understanding of children. Her feelings were to let the kids do whatever. she would take our legs out from under us
Pros
the kids
Cons
head counselour would take your legs out from under her staff
membership coordinator/ front desk
Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2017
greet new guest, help them decide what type of membership they would like, Enter their information in AS400. Answer phone calls. Answer questions. Monitor the area. Enforce rules. Secure unused spaces. Clean and set up guest area. Contact different resources. Do project calling members for payment issues. Calling staff for meetings. Give tours.
Pros
Free family membership
Cons
no health or retirement benefits
Fun place to work
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NHNovember 16, 2017
Good community to work for. Go in wait for the children to get off the bus give them snack then we do circle time where we discuss the activities and crafts were doing for the day
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockport, MENovember 16, 2017
Loved working at the Y. Cleaned the facility washed windows did garden work mowed the lawns and did snow removal. To be more patient with the little kids. very family oriented. the hardest part is when the upper management was switching up the hours because the couldn't keep night help.
Love all the clientele there from the youngest to the oldest,It was the best
Pros
free membership
Cons
Too much nepotism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.