YMCA Employee Reviews

47.1K
33.9K
21.1K
Found 19,807 reviews matching the search See all 22,648 reviews
If you want to drink the kool aid this place is for you.
Financial Development Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 21, 2018
The YMCA does a lot of great work in the community and is big on their christian values. If your spirituality is important to you than you will enjoy working here.
Great Culture but Lacks Communication
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNOctober 20, 2018
The general employees are fabulous, but the management could use a bit of work when it comes to communication. Over all a great place to work, but do not get too cozy, now that the word is out, everyone wants to be a lifeguard.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
No Benifits, Lack of Communication
understaffed
Maintenance/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYOctober 20, 2018
The benefit package was very good, good retirement plan. They did not hire full time employees, which made the overall management and upkeep of the buildings difficult to maintain.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
understaffed
Good company
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 20, 2018
I like teaching at the YMCA, but their hourly wage for fitness instructors is one of the lowest in the area. Without receiving benefits I can not make ends meet and cannot keep my private insurance.
Pros
great classes and supervisor
Cons
pay wage
Very enjoyable job
Paperwork sorter (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 20, 2018
I had a great experience working there and think it's a very laid back job. I also enjoyed my boss and coworkers. I am very grateful i had the opportunity to work there.
Pros
CPR class
Cons
Nothing.
Not my favorite place.
shift lead (Former Employee) –  Falcon, COOctober 20, 2018
The YMCA that I was located in had a lot of gossip and petty activity. Favoritism was clear and encouraged. The manager favorites would stay close by his/her side while the ones he/she did not like got sent away to a different location with worse hours.
Productivity good,friendly staff,good growing job
Maintenance/orderly (Former Employee) –  Castle Hill, VAOctober 20, 2018
I learned a bit a the YMCA pool indoor/outdoor operator,maintenance,day camp operations assist camp counselors/play ground/grounds cleaning/maintaining
Pros
Opportunity to grow
Cons
No over time
Fun environment
After School Program Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 20, 2018
YMCA provided a fun work environment. Working with kids made the job very enjoyable, and to seem them grow is what makes working at YMCA worth it. You also learn patience.
Great work environment, awesome staff, laid back job
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 19, 2018
Working at the ymca at a lifeguard has been a great experience for me over all. The staff is amazing, they are so helpful and understanding. The inservices we have every month are extremely helpful to review of the skills we need for our job. They are not always organized though. They are behind on a few things which is frustrating.
Pros
Free membership, flexible hours, nice staff
Cons
Unorganized, don’t listen to the staff about schedules
great experience
Lead Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2018
it was a great experience learned a lot of valuable things, great for starters or people that can do charity work. good clean family place polices could do some changes.
Busy and expectant, you must be able to get along with your coworkers.
Tampa Metropolitan Area - Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2018
Be a suckup. If you don’t like children, do not work here. Unless you’d be ok with yelling at them all day. Also, the water arobics ladies are all really mean.
Pros
Good first time job, most of the members are very nice.
Cons
Management is annoying, depending on which department you work for. Aquatics wasn’t very good.
Slow but very efficient place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  China Grove, NCOctober 19, 2018
At the YMCA I applied so that I could help a branch who was having difficulty with finding lifeguards to monitor the pool. I applied and went through the training very quickly so that I could watch my patrons. I monitored the pool, sauna, steam room, outdoor water system, and the whirlpool. I would open and close the pool periodically for breaks and for the end of the day. I was given responsibility because, there is only one lifeguard of duty for the pool at a time.
Pros
Not hectic. Most patrons are elderly swimmers.
Cons
Less breaks than expected.
Lead teacher
1st grade teacher (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAOctober 19, 2018
Good environment if you like working with children. After school and morning care program for children. You can create your own classroom environment.
Not enough pay to be considered a job
Noon-time sports staff (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 19, 2018
I work 2 hours a day. 2. Then sometimes I’ll get offered another class to pick up and work 4 hours a day 2 days a week, with the occasional 6 hour Saturday. This job is not one for an adult or anyone who wants money. It’s simply if you have extra time and are bored at home. No advancement opportunity, and only enough money to maybe get you here and back to work. Not worth it.
Pros
Fun working with kids
Cons
Not liveable
Limited Growth
Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2018
Although there were opportunities to grow with offerings of additional training and certifications, advancement within was very limited. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people from different walks of life and having the ability to help them.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Compensation
You and your family get a free membership
JANITOR (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTOctober 19, 2018
You only work m maybe 2 hours tops a night for 5 days a week. However, upon working there you and your family get a free membership for the YMCA. It would be a perfect job for a college student.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Only work 2 hours tops a night
Working for the YMCA has been rewarding
Director of Facilities (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 19, 2018
Enjoy working for a cause driven company. Managers are top notch and ensure your success in employment. YMCA allows you to be creative and is open to explore new opportunities.
great place
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHOctober 18, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at the Y. I had a good workout class in the 80's. Lots of fun and great people. Exercise is so beneficial for you. You are burning calories and building strength and meeting new people and making new friends.
My first job
Shift Lead / Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 18, 2018
Starting about 10 years ago, the Y has been a huge part of my family. Two other members of my family also work there and we frequently volunteer and give back to our community because of it.
Ymca
Summer Camp Leader, Rancho Family YMCA (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2018
I watched children and helped them during activities for PLAY and during summer camp. The most difficult part was many of the children do not listen to adults.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

40%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss