YMCA

YMCA Employee Reviews

United States27,428 reviews

Found 27,428 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,342 reviews

Ymca

I was able to fit into the culture at the YMCA well. The managers were nice and very understanding. If a coworker had any problem they were able to take time out of their day to answer questions and concerns.

Great job if you're okay with poor pay compensation

I loved the work I did, the people I worked aside, and the kids I worked with. I loved the connections I formed and the training I received. I love what the YMCA stands for. What I don't love is the poor pay regardless of how long you've worked there or how hard you work. This is one of those companies where the harder you work, the more they take you for granted unfortunately. I used to always say, if I were paid accordingly, I would never leave this job.

Pros

fun work, weekends off, working for a greater purpose

Cons

horrendous pay, poor management, under-funded

YMCA insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Good first job

I worked at my local YMCA as my first job in college. Great experience overall, however, there were some minor issues with management at one of the locations I worked at.

Easy going and fun with kids

Kids are learning skills and abilities that they have and using them when needed. Able to get along with all kids and other staff. Great facility to teach and have fun.

Pros

Free lunch, good environment, no gossip

Cons

No healthcare or insurance

They don't want to pay well

You can kill your self there-upper management will not make difference. You can triple the budget sales-no support, no admitting of your achievements will be done. My direct boss was nice,but upper management coming in with huge bottom and criticizing any thing you do,saying we " sit too much". Amazing. Trainers newer sit,like-at all! They loose goid people,because people with higher education and skills, experience and real knowledge will not work here for long,it's just a career start.

Great start for childcare career

Depending on what you are hired for your hours are either set, not set, or you have split shift. Staff is great, you can tell the childcare department really cares about the kids. Only wished full time positions were offered. The pay isn't the best but it is great for people just out of school or wanting a entry career in childcare. They are reasonable if you are going to school and want to help you advance. You get to be around different kinds of children from different backgrounds.

Pros

flexible, friendly, education advancement

Cons

pay, no benefits, no full time

The Kids Make It All Worth It

Title says it all. Some days are amazing, other days make you question your sanity, but most days are somewhere in between, leaning towards the "amazing" side. The "pay" is comical, but the kids make it all worth it.

Fun place for anyone

Work there again help people a family organization community place will work there again. There is growth and freedom great place to work and hang with family

Easy

Great place to work. Good hours and everyone that works there is super nice. Easy job. I recommend working here. Fun place to work for sure.

Not a great place

This is not a great place to work. The pay is low. Staff are over worked and not supported. You are usually left to figure things out by yourself. The place was understaffed. You usually had to work way past your shift ended due to low staff count. Coworkers are very cliquish. The child care is sub par. When concerns were voiced they were never rectified.

Pros

Free staff childcare

Cons

Low pay, over worked

Never work for the Y

This company says that they are working for the community when they are not. They continuously gaslight their staff and do not have the kids as well being in mind when they are making decisions. They do not like it when staff give their opinion on items that need to be talked about. Their paperwork is never up-to-date and is never correct.

Good people around you

Nice place to work doing something that’s meaningful which makes a difference for the kids around you. Helping people, and I like how everyone looks out for everyone family like culture.

Pros

Being outside talking to people working inside also is nice

Cons

Health coverage etc

Good part time job

Pros:-amazing coworkers and friends-opportunities to work several hours of overtimeCons:-pay is low even with experience-raises are slim to none Overall, I have enjoyed working at the YMCA and would recommend anyone for a first time Lifeguarding job to work here.

Was a draining job

This job made me want to call in just about everyday, the other employees were just absolutely awful, so mean and very impolite. If you like being talked badly about this jobs for you.

Boring

Days consisted of walking around the fitness floor searching for new clients trying to fill your schedule. Had 2 rates, an hourly rate and training rate. Good job to learn how to personal trainer but that’s about it

Positive Culture

The YMCA has a very positive culture and is often reflected through the members and the employees there. The pay is not great and the hours can vary depending on your position. Overall good place to work.

I loved working with children and felt appreciated

They made me feel valued and even held my job open for me for over two years while I was going to college. They worked with my schedule and with my kids. I can’t be more thankful for any group!

okay

It's an okay place to work if you're young and going to school. The hours are pleasant if you need to attend classes in the morning because morning care is from 7-9 and aftercare from 2:30-6:30.

Do you like to work at the ymca

I like to meet new people and other have a good time.i would like to meet alot of people that I work with and this is my first time working with you guys

Pros

I enjoyed being around people

Cons

Help people out when they need help

Terrible place to work at so

So like I would not work here. The place is so nasty first off they hire stupid people like people that can’t even spell and read. Front desk act like they are better than everyone else.

10/10 Would Recommend!!

I love this job! I’ve always enjoyed working with children and this position is perfect. I am located at an elementary school and everyday for a couple hours I would come in (as well as 1-2 of my co-workers) to supervise their after-care program. It’s so much fun to get involved with the kids by playing games and making crafts and whatever new thing we can think of! I’ll definitely be going back when the school year starts!!! PS management is awesome as well! I’ve never had any issues.

Common questions about YMCA

Answered by current and former employees at YMCA

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

38%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare YMCA with

Studying at YMCA

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews
  • YMCA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?