YMCA Employee Reviews

21K
Found 19,148 reviews matching the search See all 21,913 reviews
nice place
PreSchool Aide (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAAugust 16, 2018
they had lots of area outside for the kids to play with shaded areas for play equipment. The inside was roomy, though not newer. The preschool rooms had lots of places to play and things to do.
Pros
good structure
Cons
older building
Enjoyable place to work
ASSISTANT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNAugust 16, 2018
I worked at the YMCA for a brief period of time while I was in high school. I was an assistant teacher/ teacher's aide for an after school program at a school off of the YMCA's campus. I enjoyed my role and my coworkers.
enjoyable and upbeat facility to work at.
youth athletics assistant/office assistant (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHAugust 16, 2018
I worked with kids of all ages. I enjoyed teaching children something new and watching them improve over the 3 and a half years I worked here. My coworkers were very upbeat at work and they were also helpful. The management was also very good at the Y.
Positive environment
Staff/ Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAAugust 16, 2018
The YMCA has a fun and welcoming atmosphere. The staff feels like family and everyone gets along well. If there were any issues, I felt comfortable enough to go to my supervisors. The hardest part of the job is that unless you have a college degree or certifications, the likelihood of advancement is very low and the pay is no more above minimum wage.
Pros
Great people and hands on experience with members
Cons
Salary is not great
Nice experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 16, 2018
Overall volunteering for the YMCA was a great experience. I met a lot of people that eventually became friends. The working community at the YMCA is reminiscent of a family. We all work together making sure we get better each day.
Great part time job for students
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 16, 2018
I worked here throughout high school and college and it provides extreme flexibility with decent pay for a lifeguard. Management is great and relocation for school is easy.
Fun place to work
Counselor and Wrangler (Former Employee) –  Davis, OKAugust 16, 2018
The staff was very open and friendly, though sometimes a bit clique-y. I really enjoyed the work that I did and felt that expectations were clearly communicated.
Fun place to work but poor pay.
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIAugust 16, 2018
I love the interaction with the community but there was no insurance or room for advancement. I had to work two part-time positions there and was training for a 3rd, just to make enough money for bills.
Pros
free gym use
Cons
no insurance
Not for me
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 16, 2018
I liked the clients, I liked the mission. I liked the day to day of helping clients, answering questions. I liked my coworkers. I disliked the corporate management.
Pros
free membership
a day at the Y
Co-Teacher/Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2018
Ymca has horrible communication skills with their employees and they lack listening skills. Working with the kids themselves was amazing the kids are great its the higher up managements dont care about their employees and how they make anyone feel.
Pros
kids
Cons
management, low pay
Loved the kids
Referee and Basketball Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXAugust 16, 2018
I was a ref so I enjoyed getting to work with kids and teach the younger ones as they played in the games. overall I would do it again if given the chance.
Enjoyed working here and interacting with guests
Youth Fitness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 16, 2018
Although I worked here while I was young, I feel as though I learned a lot of skills. My bosses were always there to help guide me and suggest better ways of working. Loved the culture and environment.
Pros
Pleasant workplace
Cons
Not enough pay
Great people & Culture
Wellness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  PAAugust 15, 2018
For the most part, great people to work with. The leadership guidance is excellent. Had a far range of lead-way when developing programing. The company leans more towards women instead of men in leadership roles, which can make it difficult at times if you are a male.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Poor compensation and recognition of work
Fun workplace to show off my moves
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 15, 2018
I well enjoyed this job because I had the chance to teach children of ages 6-18 years old some hip hop dance moves. We also performed at the events of the YMCA.
Pros
Happy environment
Cons
Small pace to teach and practice with the children
Checks not paid on time
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 15, 2018
This job is good if you want to learn about working with children but it has multiple problems. The coordinator dose not have your back, some times they don’t pay you on time or it isn’t the right amount. They do not follow the staff to child ratio no matter him many kids you got your pay don’t change. Offer your force to split a group of kids up no matter the age difference. With this job it’s not what you know it’s who you know. Management is unorganized and if they don’t like you they will fire you with out reason. I recommend if you wanna do the aftershool you go to the table.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Late payments no respect unorganized no breaks no paid vacation not enough hours and no recognition
Great place to better skills
Assistant Coordinator of Before and After School (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 15, 2018
While working at the YMCA I learned a lot about the care of children and how to better their education to help them become the best that these kids could be. The staff is kind and caring, even the directors. A good place to start a child care career.
Fun busy environment
Health and Wellness Coach (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAAugust 15, 2018
This place is busy all the time, co-workers are very warm and welcoming. It was a pleasure to work here. Very big facility to use at your own discretion.
Great experience
Communications/Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIAugust 15, 2018
I had a great experience during my internship at the Y. Although it was only for a month, I enjoyed every second of it. It was a great opportunity to meet people and learn from them.
Diversity among staff and members
Membership Associate (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 15, 2018
We have members from all walks of life and we like to see ourselves as more than a gym. Rather a place in the community where everyone can feel safe and included.
ok for what it was
Teen Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
most enjoyable part were the kids. I didn't like working here I enjoyed my co workers but not the building they were very inconsiderate and unprofessional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight