YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 20,238 reviews matching the search See all 23,167 reviews
Fun place
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Litchfield, CTDecember 8, 2018
Everyone is so nice and it’s a positive work environment, you grow to love the campers and the counselors work together to help each other. The job is stressful but it’s worth the experience.
Pros
Great experience, great community, treat their employees great
Cons
Stressful, long hours, low pay
Fun, supportive place to work
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hardwick, NJDecember 8, 2018
Great place to learn skills that are applicable in any field while building close bonds with great people. The days are long, but you often don't realize how long if you truly enjoy what you're doing. You can really make a difference in other's lives here.
Pros
Fun, fulfilling work in a great atmosphere
Cons
Doesn't pay a lot, but typical for camp
Referee - Northlake Park Orlando FL
Game Official (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 8, 2018
You have self confidence or you don't. Being a referee tests you by putting you on a stage for open criticism; constructive and not. YMCA referees get a bad wrap, but that comes with the territory. Accept the challenge and overcome the stigma.

Management always has your back as long as you show you have the best of intentions. If you can put your pride behind you and be a part of a team, the YMCA becomes like a second family.

I'd go back reffing for them in a heart beat.
Exciting enviroment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  26B Fairfax Street, SE Leesburg, VA 20175December 8, 2018
I worked at an outdoor camp and just had so much fun. It was really relaxed and you just got to show kids how wonderful nature was, swim, and then we would all ride a bus back to the local middle-school. There we would have lunch and then procede to play games with the kids until their parents came to pick them up. A counselor would work half the day.
Be prepared to be broke all the time
Assistant Site Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 8, 2018
Working for the YMCA is kind of like doing volunteer work except you get a tiny wimpy check every 2 weeks which will barely be enough to cover 1/3 of your rent on that apartement of yours.

Upon your hire, you will be immediately thrown into the culture. Leadership will do anything necessary to brain wash you and get you sucked into the "Y Life". DO NOT FALL FOR IT. Behind all of those "Family meetings" (a semi-annual meeting held to remind you how much you love the Y and why you should donate from your paycheck) you will find yourself wishing you had a real job
Pros
easy work
Cons
low pay, incompetent leadership, low staff appreciation
Fun and family friendly environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXDecember 8, 2018
Learned to be more patient and to improvise when something did not go as planned. There was a lot of teamwork involved. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the children cooperated and had fun in the activities and games we prepared for them.
I liked the work and enjoyed the interactions I had with the people I encountered.
Concession Stand Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, IADecember 7, 2018
The work I did was maintaining and operating the concession stand/concessions area. It was really fun interacting with all the different kinds of people I encountered while serving snacks.
Pros
Sunlight, fun conversations, nice pay for the work.
Cons
Weird hours, is a seasonal job, weird hiring process.
Aquatics Director/Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Rockport, MEDecember 7, 2018
This job taught me quite a bit and provided me the opportunity to develop positive relationships with both staff and members. Management was very approachable and members were always grateful for the effort that you put in
Eh
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Greece, NYDecember 7, 2018
Working with the kids was amazing and getting praise from the parents that their kids can't wait to come to the Y and color with you at the tiny tables. taking care of the babies it was just great working with the kids. Management was terrible but what can you do? No sense arguing with someone who has a brain the size of a grain of sand.
Ymca
MOD (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, INDecember 7, 2018
Working for the YMCA gives you community involvement. Allowing you to interact with the community in a way you may not be able to reach out in other job fields.
easygoing workplace
Soccer Coach (Former Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VADecember 7, 2018
come in watch and interact with the kids until parents are done working out you should play a couple of group games with them so none of the children will feel left out. after your done with your shift you should clean all the things off the floor then your done
Pros
doing what i love
Cons
the pay
Birmingham, AL
Management (Former Employee) –  BirminghamDecember 7, 2018
I would not recommend working here. They pay is low and the job is very stressful. I worked for the YMCA for 5 years and noticed a lot that went on. With that being said, I would not recommen this job.
Cons
Lots of work and low pay
Fun working place
Porter/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 7, 2018
Very family orientated place to work, the staff is really friendly and close. Management is helpful with whatever you want to do. A lot of space to learn new things
Pros
Positive management
Cons
No room for advancement
Has its goods and bads
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXDecember 6, 2018
I personally loved it because I like kids. You were totally free to do whatever you wanted, usually. Under-staffing causes a lot of issues. I watched many coworkers get away with many things that the YMCA didn't stand for but the program couldn't really do anything about because there wasn't enough counselors. Its honestly a hard job, but my saying is "someone has to do it." If you like kids, please please work here and try to set an example for your coworkers. The YMCA had a fantastic vision for a fantastic program but needs more organization and more funding (to pay higher wages so workers want to compete for this job). As a counselor you watch after anywhere from 10-30 kids, give them snacks and keep them occupied. If you are in a good school, and you teach the kids to respect you, you can help the kids learn something, play games and do homework. If you don't care or get a bad school with a bad "manager" the best you can do is keep track of them and keep them alive. Be brave!
Pros
Good place to start if you want to work with kids
Cons
Pay, management
Cool work place
Membership Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2018
The YMCA Anthony Bowen is a cool place to work at and It's a friendly environment and the staff here is great. Management is great and the most enjoyable par of the job is the friendly staff
Not great
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  South Bend, NEDecember 6, 2018
I was a counselor at a ymca summer camp and would work 6 days straight getting up at 6:30 everyday and usually getting to bed around 11:30 after getting the campers to sleep and completing paperwork for the day. I was extremely sleep deprived and would rely heavily on caffeine to get me through the day. Working from 6:30-11:30 is physically and mentally exhausting with only one day of rest between campouts it was extremely hard. The pay was absolutely attrocious. I worked 11 weeks and at the end i barely made over 2,000$ i will never be a camp counselor again because even though they pay for meals and housing the salary was almost criminal for how hard of effort i put in every day
Pros
Free housing and meals
Cons
Terrible pay, extreme stress
Work with kids, be a role-model!
GYMNAST INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXDecember 6, 2018
A typical day at work for a gymnast instructor at twin lakes ymca includes advancing the student's skill-set by creating new activity plans weekly. Engaging with up to 24 students in a class, you work with students in small groups using structured class itinerary.
Pros
Great job for college students, Consistent schedule, College student friendly, Smiles encouraged!
Cons
Few hours, Abundant in staff
Camp Cristina YMCA
Counselor Supervisor/Sport Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLDecember 6, 2018
I loved the work I did for the YMCA from taking lead at 16 and helping jump start the fishing camp structure to summers running around the 65 acre best friend maker.
Cons
Pay
great place to work for cause driven individual
Director of Healthy Living (Former Employee) –  NJDecember 6, 2018
Generally overworked and under staffed
great place to grow personally
salaries are not commensurate with work load
certifications are required
strong cause driven mentality required
must be able to work overtime
It floods
Life guard (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 6, 2018
If youre going to be a lifeguard youre going to have to pull double duty as plenty of parents/guardians like to bring kids down to the pool so they dont have to keep an eye on there kids and just blame you as a bad lifeguard if there kids that doesnt know how to swim get in the water deeper than their knees,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

510.1K
47.2K
34K
21.1K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

40%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss