YMCA Employee Reviews in Boise, ID

Above average place to work for someone who likes swimming
Its a great place to work for someone who likes to swim, who wants a leg up in the work force at an early age. CPR certification is valuable, but nothing else really is. Average job for 20ish year olds
na
No information to share at this time
Every branch and position are different

You must be interested in the cause

Not the average job

Talk to people in position interested in
Management Doesn' Care
My manager down in aquatics didn't pay me for 2 months then accused me of lying on my time sheets. Familys that come in are usually disrespectful, i met about 4 nice families in my 6 monghs of working as a swim instructor. Other than that, this job is terrible. It takes forever to move up in pay or job titles. And there isn't a single garentee that you'll even be put on the schedule. Because the Manager doesn't care. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Great people to work with. Great atmosphere!
Great place to work! The employees and members are wonderful. Management is good. They work with your schedule and help you find subs when needed. The pay isn’t that great though but working with the members and seeing the positive change in their lives is worth it!
Great for the community, not so much for the employees
Poor pay, poor communication, lack of support from upper management and HR. Unrealistic expectations. Diversity and inclusion for members only, need to follow their own core values in regards to the employees. Love the mission but would never work for them again.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Great company
Great company to work with, especially as someone new to the work force. I learned a lot with them and gained much experience.
I was a volunteer so I didn't get paid but it was fun
I was a volunteer there so they didn't pay me, but it was a perfect way to get into some working experience as a youngster preparing for future life. Everyone working there was incredibly kind and compassionate and I made valuable friends and memories at that place
Pros
Watch kids all day, easy to navigate, staff is friendly
Cons
It's a bunch of kids, they're naturally a hassle to keep together
Good
I enjoyed working at the downtown YMCA because I love children and I loved the atmosphere. The management was positive and I felt comfortable in the job setting.
good work enviroment
As a camp counselor, the environment was a lot of fun. some moments were high stress but overall was a good place to work. Management was helpful, and coworkers were friendly
Paranoid culture and unfair place to work
I have worked for multiple YMCA's, and the experience is always the same. Everyone seems paranoid about what everyone else is doing. It doesn't make for a fun or relaxing place to work. No matter how hard you try or how qualified you are, there is no opportunity for advancement. Workers who are higher up will keep you down, despite your qualifications. Employees who have worked for the YMCA before are not acknowledged and are treated like they are just beginners. Newer or younger employees are favored, even if their performance and knowledge are less.There is not much respect to be had. I will never work at another YMCA again.
My Y Story
The Y provided a nurturing environment for me, I was recognized for my work ethic and given opportunity to develop and grow.
Working for an organization that is genuine and strengthens the community I love has given me great satisfaction.
Poor Management but great people
Working at the Y as a lifeguard was amazing at first, there’s lots of people to meet and the co-workers are very friendly. The job itself was rather boring but the friends I made were worthwhile. Their low amount of staff caused problems, and even though it’s up to the employees to get coverage, no one would cover. They refused me a leave of absence for an important time and so I had to leave. Even then quitting was horrible, they begged me to stay and still beg me to return. It’s a very stressful yet boring job as well, because not much happens, but if someone gets injured that’s on you.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Sometimes Free Food
Cons
Poor Management, Stressful, Boring, No Coverage
Good job for the time
It was a perfect job for being in high school. The hours were simple and everyone worked together to get things done. They are very understanding and it was fun being able to be around all of the kids.
Fine if you have a lot of time and can find your niche.
I didn't mind working here, but that was about it. It was the kind of place that didn't really require you to go above and beyond at your job, and didn't reward you if you did anyways. The aura of relaxation was non-existent, which was expected, but don't expect any breaks or to be able to loosen up unless you work a closing shift. The rotations are an hour to a 15 minute "break" which is really time at the desk doing chemicals or swim tests. If you have a ton of friends who work there, it's great, but I find a lot of people to be generally not serious about their jobs and luckluster on coworker relationships.
if you like children
it was good place to work if you want to work children and help them with their future. The schedule was during the weekend though which is a downside but its only in the morning.
Enjoyed my coworkers
Coworkers were like an extended family. The Y training was sub par, and exclusive to Y only business models. Acceptance of your role working with other departments, no politics, everyone helped each other.
Engaging Workplace
Focused on providing engaging and education environments for youth. Customer service and implementing safety protocols important. Highly collaborative and mission driven
Ok place to work
Good place to work over all bit you are not paid well at all.the people a nice and friendly and the management is nice enough they dont have that good of pay though.
Pros
Free membership
It wasn't great there.
I came into work and prepared my lesson plan to teach the kid, I had about five classes each day. after classes were taught I went home.
I learned CPR, first aid and oxygen. Also how to care for kids better.

The management was okay, they were really hardcore. Any little thing that you did wrong they would pull you into the office and give you a talking to.

The hardest part was working with cranky parents and also the kids on bad days.

I loved working with the kids and the people around me were really cool.
Pros
co-worker and the students
Cons
management and never getting paid on time
I would never go back
The YMCA in Boise has a very negative, gossiping environment. My supervisors did not have the knowledge or education to be in charge of a fitness department.
Pros
Nice clients
Cons
terrible staff
Gym, pool, rock wall
I had a great routine going, my coworkers were always so nice and helpful. I was eager to go to work everyday because it wasn't stressful and I knew how to stay active by doing my job well and helping others.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.
12.1K
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight