YMCA Employee Reviews in Granby, CT

working at the YMCA
this has been a very fun and exciting place to work. its something different every day and you never get board i would recommend this place of employment
Amazing place to work
I finally have a job where I look forward to being there! The management in wellness are supportive and appreciative of all of our hard work and do everything in their power to help us grow and succeed.
Easy and fun
Job itself is great, but application process is difficult and you can wait months before hearing anything from management. Difficult ot get the job to begin with.
Great place to start a fitness career
The YMCA does a lot of great things for the community and its a decent place to learn and start your career off. Lots of opportunity for growth if you are interested in working for a non-profit org
I love the YMCA but working there is no fun.
I love the YMCA, but working there was the pits. I never knew who my manager was. there was a lot of turnaround. That said, I loved the people there, and it was mostly a fun place to work. The managers work really hard and don't get paid nearly enough. I feel that the working atmosphere is much better there these days, and the employees are staying on much longer. Consistency is better!
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
positive organzation
We know that lasting personal and social change comes about when we all work together. That’s why at the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
Packed Pools
I encountered many times where the pools were filled to capacity. We would have to double the lifeguards on rotation to ensure safety precautions. The pools were packed almost every weekend and weekdays, especially during the rush hour of 4pm-7pm. Each lifeguard had a certain task and we all worked together as a team.
Ymca Lifeguard
typical day would be guarding the pool and watching patrons have fun and ensure their safe. Constant scanning and awareness of all members and activities going on.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at YMCA?
Rewarding work
Great place to work if you like to give. The Y has changed many of their members lives for the good and to be part of that is awesome. Teaching classes that make people feel good is wonderfully rewarding.
Pros
Meet great people
Cons
only part time work
Not paid enough for the work
Understaffed and need to be paid more for the detailed and difficult management required. We did a lot and there were sometimes 22 kids and only one staff member and that is not fair.
Daycare
I was a caregiver for kids after school. I helped them with their homework, made crafts, set up a snack and managed their behavior. We would go outside sometimes, or watch movies, or have the gym open to play indoor sports. The job was fairly easy, good hours for a high school kid.
fun and social place to work
I enjoy working at the YMCA because I love all the members that are part of our facility. They are kind and personable and so are all of our staff. We all get along and make it an enjoyable place to come in to work everyday.
High energy, fun environtment
It is the Y, what can you say. Great members, staff and instructors, we were always supporting and leaning fro each other. It has taught me how to work with different populations with regard to exercise and creating healthy lifestyles and always motivating others to achieve their goals.
Pros
great classes, members and co-instructors
Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.
12K
Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

40%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.