YMCA

Los Angeles, CA79 reviews

Found 79 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,049 reviews
kidchildamazemembershipmemberactivitycampenjoy

Great Employer

I love the purpose and mission of YMCA; I spent a great 5 years employed there.My director provided a great experience and I enjoyed the paid training/education classes.

Inspiring and fun

Great place to gain experience working with children. Was able to learn more about the field in child dev for example curriculum that helps the child engage. Schedule was always the same so that helped as a college student.

Pros

Fun experiences while still working

Cons

Short breaks

YMCA insights

• Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Great organization with a great work culture

Was a fun place to work and felt good to be part of an organization that does great things for the community. The team is engaged and works together pretty cohesively. Executive team sometimes makes decisions that are not seemingly in everyone's best interest.

Pros

Free gym membership, decent benefits and good work/life balance.

Cons

Hard to promote from within.

Fun environment, no room for advancement, favoritism

The child care center was a fun place to work, especially with the children who make it worth while. Co workers are great, but management had clear favorites and treated them better (longer breaks, time off requests granted, etc). No room for advancement, but a great place to start if wanting to get the feel of working with children.

Good job to learn and advance to future opportunities

Good job to learn and advance to future opportunities But only down fall due to covid most of techs got furloughed :( so that’s would be the only down fall that I wish I could have been longer with the company

Paid Vacation and long hours.

Paid VacationsTraning Opportuardesnties.Advancement Opportunties .Annual Dinners to celebtate HoldidaysBalenceing budets annualy can be dificult

Pros

Paid Vacations

Cons

Long hours occasionally.

Tons of potential for growth. But can be overwhelming

The YMCA allows you to grow professionally and personally so much. As a director, you will have an immense amount of responsibility. So having effective leadership in your associate and executive directors is monumental in helping with your success in these positions. As a non-profit, fundraising on top of your other responsibilities can be even more overwhelming...But-if you are able to manage your time and responsibilities without being overwhelmed, you will learn that you have what it takes to be successful in any type of role in the future.

Cons

Pay is sub-par to government or city positions with similar (or even less) responsibility.

An fun and interesting place to work. Very friendly and positive energy

Working at the YMCA was very fun. It had its ups and downs. It was exciting working there for the first 6 months. While I was working there, I began learning many new and interesting things, I built some friendships there with co-workers and members.

Pros

Free workout space, Lifeguard training was fun

Cons

Short breaks, not so safe working environment, poor functioning eqipment.

Family-Friendly Facility

There's plenty of people that are willing to offer me any kind of help or assistance. I receive great feedback from any of the workers that helped me as a member of the YMCA to understand the engaging environment of family and friends. The interview process was friendly and patient with me. Although I could not work due to the pandemic, the first impressions made my experience at the YMCA happy.

Great family oriented environment

The YMCA helped me grow and has taught me how to become a better person and how to communicate with any person effectively. It also taught me many life lessons.

Friendly Warm Place for Everyone

A typical day consisted of answering customer questions at the front desk. Answering phone calls and being in charge of the loaner program. Making sure all papers were organized containing confidential customer information.

No Christian Values in the Young Men's Christian Association

The manner in which this organization functions is by means of finances only. They tend to hire by who they know, not what they know. For example, they hired an Executive Director who lacked a Bachelor's Degree which was a requirement of the position but because of who he knew he was selected. Also, all he would do during staff meeting with the administrative team was to form committees to resolve challenges, to only have them ignored. Poor leadership and no guidance. They replaced a highly qualified and dedicated Associate Executive Director with someone less qualified because he was one of the boys.

Pros

Free membership as an employee

Cons

Filthy facility

Student Job

Depends on your job but overall very easy going and suitable for students. They work with you to make sure things are well on both ends. Very collaborative community.

Fun place to work

I like working with the children doing the summer going on field trips arts and crafts food Project hygiene classes etiquette classes book reading assist with homework

Pros

Two 15-minute breaks

Cons

15-minute breaks

It is nice to know all branches and meet a lot of people

It is a nice environment, and there is something to do and to learn. I am busy all day long. Sometimes communication is not good enough, but at the end we have good solutions.

exciting

excellent temporary position abroad working with children from all different backgrounds. Working at camp whittle was the best summer of my life and i made some truly amazing life long friends through this experience!

Awesome Place

Great Job! The place is full of individuals that want to help others. It is truly flexible and an amazing place to begin a career. I really enjoy my job and I always look forward to work.

Great learning experience with customer service

This place helped me grow as an individual because it teaches you a lot when it comes to people. Especially working the front desk, I learned how to communicate effectively with all kinds of people (even when they were literally yelling to my face). It was always busy and sometimes seemed like it never ended, but it made me a very fast-paced employee. Although, I feel like the position I held was not compensated enough for the amount of work and stress we had to deal daily. Overall, I enjoyed my time at the Y.

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Dealing with rude people

Productive and exciting

It was great to work in a gym be amongst families and see kids grow up during my time there. Everyday of work it felt like a day of seeing family to greet.

Rewarding and fun workplace

A typical day at work goes by fast. You learn a lot of children and their needs, interests, and goals. Working at the YMCA was one of the best jobs I had. There were some children that left a big impact on me and I would like to think that I left a big impact on them. The hardest part of the job was doing your job duties while also keeping in mind licensing rules and other rules and policies. The most enjoyable part of the job was the children.

nice place

I loved being a summer camp counselor with the YMCA of the Foothills. It was a great, supportive, collaborative environment to work in. I was always stimulated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

38%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss