Young's Market Company Employee Reviews

Getting ready for big new adventures
PRICING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 16, 2019
Days were busy, getting ready for a big move, but my co-workers were great - I will miss working with them. I wish them luck on their upcoming adventures.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, great co-workers
Good work environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 8, 2019
I enjoyed my employment at Young's. My co-workers were a great group of people. The outside and inside sales reps were awesome as well as the customer service reps. My department manager was nice but somewhat uninformed about quite a few things. There's a large problem with communication within departments. EXCELLENT COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS! EXPENSIVE but excellent.
Pros
Compensation an benefits, free wine and spirits, free lunches, great co-workers.
Cons
Management, lack of communication.
Good old boys club
Express Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 6, 2019
Started off pretty well, and ended up turning out to be another good old boys club where women don't get to advance. There is potential here, but upper management needs to pull their heads out and see what's going on around them.
Productive workplace
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 1, 2019
My experience was positive with fellow drivers as we worked as a team. The learned skills including inspection, safety and record keeping using log books.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
lengthy logs.
Bad place to work
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAJanuary 29, 2019
This experience was not a good one. Thsi place made me feel unwanted and unimportant. The pay was lousy also. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
high stress but fun enviornment
District Manager (Former Employee) –  North Bay, CAJanuary 24, 2019
I loved this job as well as the incredible coworkers I had, however, the training is little if not none at all. "make it happen" seems to be the direction you'll get when you reach out for support. But you are able to be very autonomous and have a somewhat flexible schedule. I loved the level of competition and the high energy but many coworkers would say the stress level is unmanageable.
Pros
fun products, autonomy
Cons
no training, very demanding/high stress
You can make good money if you put in work
Sales Rep Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 15, 2019
You have to work pretty hard to make good money. If you want to advance you're going to have to work even harder and count on doing more than what is expected in your job title. Good perks and hours though.
Family business
Director (Former Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 31, 2018
I was proud to have worked at Young’s. Hard work was never a question, but expected. Each day was about creating value... to drive revenue, profit and supplier satisfaction.
Pros
Family culture
Cons
Needs more training and succession planning
too many changes
Sales Rep/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Union City, CADecember 5, 2018
it was a great place to work, but then it all changed........
reporting, micro managing. Too many managers

Quotas and policies kept changing weekly!
Pros
Cons
alot of meetings
Outstanding Culture
Marketing Manager, Western Edge Wine Division (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 3, 2018
Young's Market Company is a 100+ year old family owned company that has excellence and integrity as core values. While opportunities for advancement within the region in which I worked were limited, the company was nonetheless excellent and I happily worked there for nearly a decade.

Want to know more about Young's Market Company?

Ask a question
Reinventing their Culture and Identity
Senior VP, Director of HR (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 3, 2018
I worked my way through the system in a family-owned company. I started as a recruiter and worked my way to leading the Human Resource Function. The people are hardworking and dedicated to the business; the leadership was transitioning from one generation to another and wanted a different direction for the organization. It was a great place to work through the years going through the system - the last years was difficult to see a new culture evolving - the old was geared toward work hard and have fun, the people were the greatest asset, take care of them.
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
No job stability
Sales (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2018
Company is going down the toilet. Major changes with competitors merging and suppliers leaving has been horrible for business. Used to get 2% raises every year. 2017 was such a horrible year that nobody received a raise. Recently they have been terminating a lot of people.

Advice to Management
Merge with Breakthru.

Advice for jobseekers:
Go to Southern Glazers Wine & Spirits or Breakthru Beverage. I worked for Southern and loved it. Better health benefits, better work parties, lots of wine/liquor bottles given to employees, and they promote from within.
Cons
Expensive health insurance
Each day is different from the last. Fun work events with clients.
District Trainer and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CANovember 15, 2018
-A typical say is spent entirely in the field. Visiting 6-8 accounts each day with the goal of increasing brand representation and selling in additional product.
-I learned about the wine and spirits industry and the different buying patterns and what made our brands superior to the competition.
-Management was responsible for a large number of accounts across Southern California. Focused on increasing coverage of current top brands while also working to grow newer and lower volume brands.
-I did not experience much of a workplace culture since I was in the field almost always.
-The hardest part of the job was scheduling times to speak with store managers.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a high volume sale to a difficult buyer.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Opportunity for growth was limited
Good opportunity for younger people to begin a career.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 14, 2018
Company has its challenges in Arizona. Smaillest distributor and has experienced losses of clients recently. Need to be more focused on marketing to chains, and also developing employees and training.
Pros
Freedom, flexible schedule
Cons
Difficult to reach sales goals, management turnover.
Good job, but underpaid
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 13, 2018
Good job that has some flexibility, and the leadership of DMs and channel VPs is very good. The problem is that with each payment restructuring, we get paid less and less.
Sales
Sales (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 28, 2018
ok place - lots of changes. Management unsure about the direction, bland environment and not a bad place to work but not a great place either. I'd look at other options due to lack of loyality
Pros
free wine
Cons
everyone works in a silo
fun
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 25, 2018
something new everyday, worked at a lot of different locations. got to know a lot of different products. was able to creative and build fun displays for the holidays.
Pros
new things every day
Cons
alot of driving
Productive, flexible job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCSeptember 23, 2018
I enjoyed my experience working for Young's, I loved to enter act with the customers..the job it's self was easy ,the tasks we're easy overall while working for Young's was an experience that was worth my time
Used to be a great company to work for
Strategic Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Current management is awful and makes working there miserable. Nothing is ever good enough and they bombard you with a workload that is unrealistic and unmanageable even to the most veteran employees.
Cons
Management, overworked, nothing is ever good enough, treat employees poorly
Productive but tiring place to work at
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Chino, CASeptember 12, 2018
- 13 - 15 hour shifts 6 days a week was the hardest part to get used to
- I learned that coworkers can be cruel
-Management was unorganized and used favoritism
- The most enjoyable parts were the breaks when I could listen to music
Pros
vending machines and cold water in the warehouse
Cons
bad management, horrible coworkers, imbalanced hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Young's Market Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight