Young Adult Institute Employee Reviews

Interesting and Rewarding
Host/Narrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2018
the television series that I hosted and narrated for the Young Adult Institute was -''''On Our Own.
I was very successful and won the President's Award.
I featured my son on one segment.
It was a memorable experience.
Great experience and high stimuli for me beliefs
Conselor -Direct Patient Care- Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hastings-on-Hudson, NYAugust 16, 2018
YAI was one of my best and great learning experiences as a jump start working with consumers. Every event was a great push for advancing my SW career.
Pros
Day to Day learning experience with mentally challenged individuals.
Cons
Extended chiefs hours when staff called out or missed work
Meeting A Friend
Emergency Respite (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 13, 2018
A typical work day would start off with me making breakfast for the patient then he would go back to bed and I would wait for him to get up again once he got up he would get a snack and we would go out side for his daily exerciser. For his exercise we would play basketball after this he would take a shower and we would go out and he would buy clothing and other little trinkets and thing he wanted. My day would end with me making him lunch and i would leave.
Fun work place for persons w/DD
Community Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kew Gardens, NYAugust 9, 2018
YAI is a great place to work. The people who they support are fun to work with and very interesting. Everyday is a new day. The staff and superviors are very helpful and will always support your decisons.
Good place to start your career
Assistant Director of IT Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
A good place to start your career and learn the basics.

I've learned how to write policies and administer processes to pass audits.

Can be fast paced at times.

The staff are great people to work with.
Pros
Medical benefits are free for a single person
Great Experience Builder
Community Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
working at Young Adult Institute can be a very interesting experience. The opportunity to work with the IDD community allows for a person to learn a lot. From gaining patience to problem solving you get a well rounded set of skills.
Fun and exciting working environment.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 24, 2018
YAI is a very wide net of support for individuals with intellectual disabilities. The work done at YAI is a great one that keeps us connected with our humanity.
Productive work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2018
The job at Young Adult Institute was amazing. It was a great work environment which prepared me for advancement in the field. I am currently looking to move forward with my career.
Pros
great environment
Staff is horrible
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 2, 2018
No structure because administrators covers up for each other then they target anyone trying to change things. Staff make things up for promotions.....
Pros
Helping developmental disable people
Cons
Administration
Fun enviroment
Recreational Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2018
Spending time helping individuals with disabilities identify education, employment, and mental health services. While you can see that the job of a rehabilitation counselor is constantly changing, there are certain skill sets that are absolutely necessary to succeed in this field, which I have gained and learned tremendously with clients that had made a typical day most enjoyable.
Pros
Cultured workplace, free lunches, travel
Benefits
fun place
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJune 7, 2018
this job is amazing. definitely in my field of study.
the only thing I would say about the company is that it does not pay much. I loved working with the staff and people we are supporting.
Great first start!
Direct Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 18, 2018
Working at YAI was a great experience. I worked with individuals who were kind and friendly. Management and staff were always there and eager to help if you had any questions. I would recommend this job to anyone who was looking to get their foot through the door in the area of hospitality and services.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, friendly environment
Review
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 8, 2018
I felt supported and was allowed many opportunities for professional growth. I would recommend this agency to anyone interested in learning more about supporting individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
AM Staff (Current Employee) –  Hastings, NYApril 24, 2018
Work for YAI give your great opportunity when desiring career advancement YAI sets industry standards recommend all staff take full advantage of agencies training and certification.
fun to work there
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYApril 2, 2018
it like a second home. we make it fun where we don't want to go home. we take care of the patients together, we make them feel comfortable. their parents get happy with us and they give us gifts
Pros
free lunch
Not as great as they try to make you believe
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYApril 2, 2018
Overall, the company pays very poorly. The fringe benefits are good, but don't compensate for the poor pay. The culture is very clique-y and you will definitely feel like you don't belong at first.
Pros
Fringe benefits
Cons
pays
great for extra money
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 25, 2018
The company doesn't pay that much but its good for the extra money. Working with people with disabilities you gain a lot of experience. That you can use to further your career.
Pros
hours
Cons
job growth poor salary
This was an excellent company
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2018
I think this was a good job, and I think the experience, at this job was great. I like the job and the company, and I would like to go back I think the experience and I would like to think I would like to go back,.
Pros
It was an excellent company
low pay
Sr. Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2018
low pay. bad management. good vacation time. not easy to raise in the company. job is often in jeopardy due to frivalous investigations. you may have better luck in another job
Pros
vacation time
Cons
low pay
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Corona, NYJanuary 14, 2018
I worked at YAI for almost 2 years and the environment, l worked in was fast paced because some of the consumers were very active. This line of work is very rewarding. Supervisors were good, but sometimes they didn't listen when you have a problem with how something were handled