Youngstown City Schools Employee Reviews

everyone is really fun and friendly
Cook Helper (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJuly 20, 2019
learned how to work around a kitchen cafeteria great staff get to help and meet the children close net work environment available oppurtunities benefits close to home
You feel like you're making a difference in a child's life
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harding ElementaryMay 30, 2019
As an educational assistant, I've always worked under great teachers. Management is great. The kids definitely can be difficult at times but if you have compassion and patience, you will do great. Benefits are pretty good. Only complaint is there are a lot of staff members who get away with not doing their job and that becomes frustrating.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lazy coworkers
administrators give zero affirmations to staff
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHMay 14, 2019
Teachers have 7 classes in an 8 period day. 25 min lunch, 45 min prep period. 1 extra duty per week: breakfast/bus. administrators blame teachers for everything students do. students take no responsibility or consequences for actions. too bad too because there are a lot of good kids there.
Stressful environment with very limited support
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHApril 23, 2019
This was an extremely stressful and inconsistent environment to work. It was difficult to teach the students without parental and administrative support.
Focused on Student Growth
Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHFebruary 11, 2019
The district is focused primarily on student growth. It is a great example of how public education can be reformed to help students improve and to reinvigorate a community.
Full of potential
Deputy Chief of Transformation (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJanuary 15, 2019
There are committed teachers and administrators. The culture is challenging but people are committed to student success. The District has potential with the right leadership.
My attention to details
Head Custodian (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHDecember 10, 2018
I worked Monday-Friday from 6am-2pm. I opened school. I learned how to operate a building. Manage a staff and work with students. I hardest part of the job is shoveling snow at 5am. The most enjoyable part of my job is how good the building looks inside and out.
Pros
hours
Cons
shoveling
Kind but Dysfunctional
iReady After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHAugust 30, 2018
The children and faculty at YCSD were and are great. However, as a complete entity, the schools is disorganized and holds low standards for their employees.
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHAugust 16, 2018
I hated substitute teaching. The kids don't respect the subs; they don't even respect themselves. They use such foul language. A lot of they don't seem to want to learn; they're only interested in "hooking up" with each other. I realized this field of work is not for me, but maybe for someone else it might work well.
Pros
pick your days to work
Cons
the unruly students
Small Job
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHAugust 6, 2018
Its a small job but only get to work 3 hours on a flexible schedule. Didn't pay much and honestly a complete waste of time. I couldve made more money some where else.
productive
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJuly 30, 2018
settled down within small groups of kids, did some lesson plans, conducted talk time within a subject matter & it had to be positive, I enjoyed the kids, hardest part? leaving them.
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJuly 17, 2018
Youngstown City salary is absolutely horrible for Educational Assistants. Good benefits. It was a good place to work to make a difference in the lives of students.
don't believe the rumors
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJune 28, 2018
I love my job. I work at harding elementary and have the best administrators in the district in my opinion. We have an amazing staff culture and are a team. Yes, the kids can be difficult, but we work together and it is worth being there.
Work place culture
Intervention Specialist/Inclusion Teacher (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJune 28, 2018
The work place culture was difficult at times because many of the staff did not agree with each other nor did they agree with the administration. The students were enjoyable but the older teaching staff were basically not happy with their jobs and it was noticeable in the classroom. The atmosphere was at time toxic and the students were just as unhappy with the teachers who demonstrated or outright said they did not want to be at the district.
Pros
encouraged the students to learn and want to learn
Cons
unhappy staff members
Safe and Nurturing School District that provides students with a high quality education using some of the best educators.
Early Childhood Teacher (PreK-3rd Grade) (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHApril 10, 2018
The Youngstown City School District is a great district to work for with excellent benefits and encouraging administration. The district offers many opportunities for the teachers to better themselves by attending professional developments that the district is offering. Working in the Youngstown City School District helped me to fine tune my teaching abilities both in the areas of academics and the social emotional aspects. I thoroughly enjoy teaching my young students. The passion that I have for teaching young children and seeing them succeed gets stronger with each day.
Professional workplace environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJanuary 29, 2018
A typical day at work includes working with a diverse and professional staff that puts the needs of the children first while leaving lasting impressions with the students to carry them through.
Pros
Health care
Cons
not paid for what you know
Great place to work workers help each other out and communication is great
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJanuary 8, 2018
Good communication workers help each other out is a comfortable environment would recommend to others loved my experience there wish it was a full time job
Summary Review
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHDecember 31, 2017
I have nothing but good to say about Youngstown city schools, however I would like a higher paying job, to ensure Me and my families well being and security.
Pros
Summer Vacations
Cons
Low pay even for degreed people
Good workplace environment
Grade 8 Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHAugust 12, 2017
It is a productive and fun workplace. Great co-workers that are friendly and helpful. However, for full time substitutes there are no longer providing job security even though their job performance is good. Behavior of some students are hard but a great teacher can look past those problems because there are many students who make the job worth while.
Pros
Good breaks, team work between co-workers
Cons
No free lunches, no job security for permanent subs, if you're subbing with a Masters degree getting hired full time is hard, I don't believe they're willing to pay the salary if you're currently entering the system.
great potential workplace just lacks the right personnel
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJuly 26, 2017
a typical day at work is slow productivity. management really doesn't care much. the culture is one of lies and deceit. the hardest part is dealing with some co-workers. the best part are the kids who want to be taught. best part of my day is seeing the kids i taught take initiative.
Pros
breakroom snacks
Cons
no benefits