Younkers Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Management was excellant
Receiving Clerk/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Plover, WIApril 23, 2018
Even though at this point it is mute, management at store 138 was excellent.Jobs were always outlined in a fair manner and were delegated appropriately.
Relaxed and everyone is very friendly.
Sales Associate- Employee (Former Employee) –  West Burlington, IAApril 23, 2018
I just wish there was more for me to do when I worked. I'm a busy-body and I am constantly on the move. I always need a variety of things to do or I will get bored.
Pros
Paid well for easy work and long breaks.
Cons
They are not very flexible, which is understandable.
fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAApril 23, 2018
coworkers are very helpful and management is nice, you get flexible hours and get paid good every twi weeks. Also you get good discounts working there.
Productive and fun place to work.
Customer Service and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, WIApril 22, 2018
They always want best for there employees. Definetly need the attitude and patients to deal with customers. Lots of managers/supervisors to work with.
Pros
Break and Lunch time are great. Fun people to work with.
Best team ever
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Plover, WIApril 19, 2018
A wonderful working environment great manager caring team and associates. This team will not be replicated.

Hardest part is not being buried in tasking and making sure we are taking care of customers first.

Loved seeing the customers and helping them find what they need or didn’t know they needed.

Corporate was not able to find a buyer and had to liquidate.

Long standing company and a lot of jobs lost nationwide.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Closing
Love retail enviroment
Sales -Manager (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, WIApril 18, 2018
Days can be fast pace and slow but always plenty to do and keep busy with servicing customers. Enjoy the change in fashion the opportunities to learn about products and training seminars with cosmetic companies. The interaction with the community and customers an awesome privilege and completely enlightening with building relationships. Varity of duties and hours.
management and customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, WIApril 18, 2018
The managers were hit and miss, most were excellent but there was a lot of continued gossip and drama about associates behind their backs, including mine. some wasn't even about my work ethic. I was called a couple profane names by a manager multiple times. I have had great fun times with most managers though. I have been sexually harassed by a coworker and customers and not much was done by management besides separating me and the coworker.
Pros
long breaks and great discount
Cons
management
They closed their stores for a reason
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 9, 2018
The store was consistently getting robbed by the same people.
Management would over look employee theft.
The workplace culture was racist and stereotypical.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Managment was untrustworthy
great place to start
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 4, 2018
Yonkers is a great place to start your customer service experience. it gives you a lot of experience and helps you learn a lot about how customer service is.
Cons
low pay
Productive and fun workplace with a good group of people.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIMarch 27, 2018
I like Younkers and I've enjoyed my experience there. The customers are usually nice and talkative, especially the regulars. It is a good place to work and management is great.
Pros
Working with good people, regular customers, 45 min break for 7+ hour shift, etc.
Cons
Closing by yourself in a department, difficult customers, old technology, etc.
A good place to work to gain retail experience
Associate (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAMarch 26, 2018
Overall this is a good place to work for the experience. The company gave plenty of room for advancement if you wanted it. For being a retail environment you have the flexibility to learn many different areas.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
retail hours
Not bad for a first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIMarch 17, 2018
I started at Younkers when I was in high school. It was a typical retail job.
Every day you'd get a manager telling you to get a customer to open a credit card, and even going as far as hiding the fact that it's a credit card by calling it a "rewards card."
I was one of the best workers in my department, had worked in the store for two and a half years, and was only making minimum wage.
It was really rewarding to help customers find the right products, which was one of the best parts of the job. I had really great coworkers too.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Heavy emphasis on opening credit cards
They don't follow your availability
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 13, 2018
There main concern is for you to get them credit cards. That is there priority. If you call for help they take there time getting to you if at all. They have very poor management at least the one in Green Bay. They filed bankruptcy so don't expect them to be there long.
Pros
Met a couple nice people in my same status
Cons
Workmans comp is not fair at all.
Not my favorite
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIMarch 10, 2018
Job is bearable but management is horrible. This company does not care about your hard work and managers are very immature. I have seen managers yell at associates in front of customers, I have seen people get "promoted" and handed an impossible task just to get fired. I have seen managers talk very poorly behind someones back but will act all smiles to their face. This place is ok to work part time but just walk in with an idgaf attitude because you can't get anywhere anyway!!
like it alot
Loss Prevention and Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 7, 2018
enjoy the people, only wish it paid more, fun people, fun environment, a good place to work, would recommend it as a place to work. good management team
very stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Bay, WIFebruary 27, 2018
Wanted me to give up my personal life for my job. They cut my hours down to 1 day a month,claiming I was unreliable due to emergencies in my family. They said emergencies are an unacceptable reason to take off work.
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours
Stressful workplace with pushy managers and entitled customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 26, 2018
Worked here for a few months and while the pay was good, it was not nearly enough to keep me. The average customer was demanding at best and outright crazy at worst. I understand that sales associates are there to help but people would demand you abandon your line and register to locate a specific lair of jeans that another customer misplaced! Also, when there is only one person at each pillbox and the other registers have signs saying they're closed, some customers would walk over to the closed register, plop down their items and try to skip the line while getting snarky that you weren't attending to them. Management is also very pushy and will do anything to maintain the quota. Very nerve-wracking and stressful, would NOT recommend.
Pros
High pay
Cons
bad management, stressful, bratty clientele
A wonderful place to work, with energetic friendly co-workers.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 21, 2018
Rewarding to be part of the team that helps get the store ready for the customers. There are many little things that are needed to be done before opening the store. The variety of duties keeps you busy.
Pros
Discount, great work environment
Cons
Working Thanksgiving
Wonderful work environment
VISUAL MERCHANDISING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 17, 2018
I had a great experience and learned so much while working for this company. They have been very flexible with my schedule and offered very good benefits for myself and my family. I will miss Younkers but will be leaving because of our store closing and bankruptcy.
Pros
Ablity to use my skills.
Cons
Store is closing.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEFebruary 5, 2018
Great place to work with good managers. I was trained very well and I was prepared once I was able to work independently. The co-workers were all great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Younkers. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight