Younkers Employee Reviews

great place
Dock worker (Former Employee) –  westdale mallJanuary 11, 2018
my favorite place i have worked at so far, only gripes was lack of hours and pay. did basically a little of every task needed for my place of work. and gained all around experience.
Enjoyable place to work with happy people
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 2, 2018
This was an enjoyable place to work. I got up and went into work. I opened all of the display cases. I then went to morning meetings. These were are regular sales meetings. I counted inventory and began to have sales meetings.
Pros
Store managers were prompt when I neded help.
Cons
My Manager and co- worker did not always show up on time.
Stressful but rewarding
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 19, 2017
There is a lot of tasking that needs to be done everyday and due to the lack of staff is challenging. Must be very organized, time management conscious, and able to prioritize. Can spend over 50 hours a week due to the constant workload, but again it is rewarding in the end. The company has the right mind set but the challenges that come about are very overwhelming and not appreciated at corporate level, there is always more that is needed. The hardest part of the job is work life balance, the business is very needy. The most enjoyable part is the customers. The customers at Younkers are loyal they will constantly challenge you but they are also a delight to service.
Pros
Customers, rewarding, challenging
Cons
underappreciated from corporate, no work life balance
Okay
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 14, 2017
I enjoyed my time until everyone became comfortable. Management was unprofessional about a few things, the communication between management and employees was poor.
Pros
Discount, Co-workers
Cons
Management, Poor Straightening, Poor communication
very poor culture
Associate (Current Employee) –  michiganNovember 26, 2017
It seems like this company works way too hard for what little it receives. The man hours used for sales and promotions seems insane, there is a sale set at least two-three times a week. It is infuriating to customers how the coupons work or don't work, so the company decides to make it worse by changing the sales all the time. you get hounded on to get everything they think you should get done and are expected to be behind the register to ring non-stop. the check out process is stupid long. ( because of the coupons and ever changing sales. The managers are stressed to the max and put it off on the associates. the store manager seems rude and disrespectful toward the management staff also, doesnt care who is within earshot of verbal reprimand, its kind of embarrassing to watch and hear.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
company culture and management
In Sioux City
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IANovember 22, 2017
The current manager of the Sioux City Store is a bully and is constantly verbally abusive to the associates, micromanages, and just won't allow the associates to do their job without a whip and chain.
Pros
other associates, discount
Cons
Not treated with respect by some of management
Lack of organization
Part-Time Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MI 48706November 22, 2017
Not enough managers or employees, fine if you're just looking for something part time or a couple hours a week but not a good place to be full time. There is no upward mobility as far as pay unless you become a manager. Extremely stressful for a minimum wage job
Pros
Some of the coworkers were okay
Cons
No real raises
fun place
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WINovember 7, 2017
fun place to work i loved this job i would work this job anytime of the day people are great here i will tell other people about working there the boss is also great
Good place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WINovember 1, 2017
When I worked at younkers I made new friends that helped me through more things than just "work problems" and met a lot of great customers who I will never forget.
if you want clothes and don't mind a mess or waiting than you'll be fine
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAOctober 30, 2017
Not very many people working there for the amount of work that they wanted done, people always seemed stressed out or angry, dressing rooms were always messy

Want to know more about Younkers?

Ask a question
never a dull moment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIOctober 30, 2017
I wish that there was more open communications. Sometimes the associate is left in the dark. We have to find out for ourselves. We have a manager that could stand to be retrained in her position. There are things that she should know but doesn't or doesn't want to reveal.
Pros
the pros are definantely having your break to sit down for a few minutes
Cons
Management needs to communicate more
Employees
Rep (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WIOctober 25, 2017
Most employees are rude to each other, overstep boundaries, invade personal space. Lack of respect all around. One particular manager cares. New employees are looked at as competition.
Pros
Cons
Pay isn't worth the cut throat environment all around
bad
Shoe Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIOctober 22, 2017
Competitive commission environment; lots of pettiness and I never made any money because you lose commission when you get returns and trust me, ALL the regular shoppers at Younkers return half the stuff they buy. Management gives into customer tantrums and will never take your side if a customer bad mouths you--good luck!!
Pros
re
More stress than it's worth
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 5, 2017
Managers don't talk well together and barely know what they are doing. The one's that do leave for better jobs. Managers are over worked causing them to not be able to help as much as they want. Most associates fun to work with a few not. Working at Younkers was more stress than it was worth. Okay pay but not enough for how much they ask you to do.
Okay
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNOctober 5, 2017
I didn't really like working here. The job included being on your feet for long periods of time with short breaks. Management and employees were okay, not the best. The most enjoyable part of the job was during the holidays and everything is at a faster pace.
Inconsistent and nonliveable
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 29, 2017
This is not a job to try and live with. The hours are never consistent and the pay is not high enough to be able to afford a proper living. The hours will never stay the same, some hours will be very low a week and the other will never go over forty hours. The register areas are disorganized and the coworkers never stay. The managers are unreliable and are not fully knowledgeable about all departments. When you work there a bunch of coupons will not be applicable to employees.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
inconsistent hours, unreliable managers and coworkers, disorganization, unliveable
Flexible hours for a student and family friendly.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 22, 2017
I worked here for six years in the past, and I am currently working here while I go back to college. I love the flexible schedule, since I am currently a student and I have a family. Having this option is very important to me.
Pros
Flexible schedule, friendly management and employees, long-term employees.
Cons
Short staffed, pay can vary depending on the area you work. Holiday hours can go well into the night.
If you enjoy retail this company may not be for you. With the company on the verge of bankruptcy the direction from coporate is very disjointed.
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 18, 2017
I enjoy many of my subordinates that I work with and the nature of the job. The pay level for amount of responsibility is on the poor side. Store manager is very erratic and lacks the clear focus to lead the team. Very much a micro-manager who makes the job harder that what it needs to be. Holiday hours are a bit long considering the volume of business they do during extended hours, opens too early on Thanksgiving.
Pros
People you work with and quality of merchandise.
Cons
Open on Thanksgiving, low pay
good place to work
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WISeptember 12, 2017
Younkers is a great place to work with a generous discount! flexible scheduling, great management. Positive working environment with job security. most enjoyable part of job is working with fellow associates and watching them develop and grow in their roles. Also enjoy ability to promote from within. Most challenging is difficult customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
stress
No advancement
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 9, 2017
Worked for 5 years had great reviews no raise great people but your stuck in the position your at with no oppurtunity to advance and no potential to earn more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Younkers. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight