Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. Employee Reviews

Nepotism nepotism nepotism. Bullying was very sad to see and people were too afraid to speak up in fear of losing their job.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, NYDecember 21, 2018
Some supervisors were better than others but there was a lot of brown nosing so people could keep their jobs even though everyone knew of the nepotism somehow it was still allowed. Again, the bullying was very sad. It amazed me at how people in power could carry on in such a condescending way to others knowing that these ones had to tolerate the abuse so they could pay their bills. The abuse of the work hours, lack of contact with clients, extensive lunches and shopping sprees. All due to favoritism and nepotism. Very sad to see these ones promoted to further the abuse of staff and the funds received that should've gone to the clients and staff. Raises are next to non existent.
Pros
Not worth mentioning
Cons
Helping our clients, great DSS commaradie, a pay check.
Challenging and productive
Advocate (Former Employee) –  1516 E colonial Dr, Orlando Fl. 32803November 5, 2018
One of the things I am delay learning at my job would be dealing with people from different culture and personalities. The management is really corporative and always willing to help when employees stuck on something work related. The quick pace is a little hard but helping me to challenge and better myself professionally. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with different type of families.
Pros
Time flexibilty
Cons
Pace
Productive and Collaborative Place to work
TSS Worker (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 2, 2018
YAP is a great company to work for as an entry level. Whether your major was psychology, social work, or sociology, you’ll be welcomed with open arms and helped with any needs or concerns. However, being in the human services field, the pay is quite low for the work you’re doing. Overall a great company.
Pros
Free dinners at staff meetings, autonomy to make decisions, unsupervised work 75/100% of the time, and friendly office staff
Cons
Lack of benefits, work/life balance, and pay
Incompetent staff
Behavior Specialist Consultant & Mobile Therapist (Current Employee) –  Lackawanna County, PADecember 20, 2018
For an organization that has the word advocate they do anything but that. Management is a joke and the office is a social club of burned out bitter women. No benefits what so ever and forget appreciation it's non-exsistent. Unfortunately this organization cares not of the people they serve but only of numbers, percentages and dollars. Sad!
Cons
Wouldn't recommend working here...
Truancy Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Union, PADecember 13, 2018
Was promised part time work (a couple days per week) but after I was hired, was told I had to work every day (even if it was a few hours) which made it hard for me to plan anything, when I was expecting part time work. The pay is also lowered to MINIMUM WAGE for trainings and evening staff meetings. They are mandatory, so I'm not sure why the pay would be lowered, when it's your time. Management sucked and staff didn't do a good job in training or explaining. You're basically thrown into it and expected to catch on quickly. Only able to bill/get paid for time spent working with a client.
Pros
Out and about a lot and not stuck in an office
Cons
Pay is decreased during trainings/mandatory staffings
Total circus
Outpatient Therapist (Current Employee) –  AnonymousOctober 22, 2018
Upper management members were fired, overworked employees with intense amount of micromanaging. Forced to work many hours with no pay and encouraged to put less hours on time sheet than what was actually worked. Abuse employees until they crack and resign.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Everything else, especially micromanaging management
Good and bad
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 17, 2018
The job was challenging, but interesting and that made it easy to want to go to work there. When I started, the director was the best boss I had ever worked for because he truly cared about the employees and the clients. His leadership was a style that everyone could respect and get along with easily. However, when there was a change in the people who were responsible for the every day operation, the job became more of a chore and it wasn't fulfilling anymore. The respect for the employees was lost and the program as a whole suffered. Many of those that I worked with are no longer there and haven't been for quite some time.
Pros
Great clients and feeling of fulfillment
Cons
Bad management eventually
Enjoy working for this company due to supervisors support
Therapeutic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 27, 2018
Arrived to the clients home, prompt any behaviors according to the treatment plan, on one of my specific case, transported client to a community integration activity and continue monitoring and providing feedback. I was able maintain open communication with family members as well role modeled positive interaction among themselves, I learned how much you can enjoy working while helping other to succeed using their on strengths. the hardest part of the job sometimes not enough hours to work on assigned cases that needed
more time to develop more skills, the most rewarding part of this job was the success I experience with my clients by accomplishing their goals on treatment plan. my supervisors and colleagues were always
willing to answer questions as needed.
Pros
paid mileage
Cons
no health benefits
Great place to work!
TSS Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 30, 2018
• Provides individual case management for teen girls in Congregate Care
• Provides individual and group counseling
• Responsible for developing and updating individual Service Plans monthly
• Responsible for weekly case notes for the Department of Human Services
• Coordinate outside services for group home residence
• Attend Court quarterly for all youth
Working in office gave me a full perspective of what i was dealing with. Some personalities i wouldnt call ADVOCATES.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 4, 2018
Working with the clients is the most rewarding as feeling like you are accomplishing anything. Working in office is very stressful. Too much gossip...
Pros
Clients
Cons
Pay, no advancement unless u have a Masters or Bachlors Degree
It was simple, yet necessary
Youthworks (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 1, 2019
It wasn't too difficult to get into but it gives a way to obtain a feel for a work environment without too much trouble of looking for it. The kids were a handful, but thats part of the deal itself. The most enjoyable part was literally lunch time to chat and compare each other experience among my peers. The environment was kinda rough, but it was manageable and a caretaker is about being involved so nothing goes wrong. We cant protect everyone, and they will always trouble makers and favorites but the least I should be able to do is not let the ones who feel left out be discouraged because its very important, to not let children or (adults, matter of fact) to be without confidence in themselves.
Pros
Perhaps will find good days among them
Cons
Always unpredictable, so stress will hit u in many ways.
Awful leadership
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Andalusia, ALJanuary 1, 2019
The company itself is a wonderful company. I would definitely agree that they are trying to do an awesome thing for communities. However, the office that I worked in, the director only hired her friends. I was hired because her best friend recommended me and I had the required degree. However, after about 3 weeks, I did not fit in with their click. It's sad that this still goes on in an office environment. The company should do confidential individual surveys to monitor what's going on in these offices. It's sad that racism and ignorance runs rampant in these small offices where they seem to get away with childish immature actions.
Pros
Good company overall
Cons
office racism and drama in a small town
great place
Therapist/Treatment Advocate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 25, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work. They care about their employees and offer great benefits. They also offer ways to grow professional and move up within the agency.
Pros
snacks, benefits, co-workers
Cons
time sensitive work/stress
Clients comes first
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 26, 2018
The typical day at work was full of unexpected experiences. The workplace was organized with the proper people for every duty. Team work was a must and a plus.

This is a program that every walk of life enter, so you had to have the ability to expect the unknown and the known. The program teaches their employees to have compassion, patience and understanding towards others. Also, to problem solve independently.

The hard part regarding the job was not being able to help those who was in need.

The enjoyable part of the job was having a part in helping those in need.
Pros
company holiday parties and helping with community events
Strssfull
Vice President Youth Advocate Program (Former Employee) –  Liberty, NYOctober 14, 2018
Management played favorites and did not pay advocates enough money for the job. I enjoyed working with the families but not with state agencies. Loved the kids it made the job bearable.
Not the place for meds
Behavioral Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 6, 2018
This was not the job for me. Director of program was emotionally abusive to clients that he “knew” as problem children. Dir should not be in this line of work. Lack of support in terms of communicating effectively to ensure that staff has what they need to do their job. Lack of ongoing training. Monthly meetings were mute as it was a waste of time, though you were paid for them.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, incompetent director, lack of job stability as most cases went to the favorites, etc.
unnecessary training classes
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2018
Not enough compensation for the jub and elements experienced. need more money for staff and students to enjoy activities. Staff need better pay and hours. Hours are monitored like the "Soup Line", making sure no one get's seconds.
Pros
Not enough spending money for the kids
Cons
pick your clients and hours
Fufilling job
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Peckville, PAAugust 28, 2018
Working for Youth Advocate Programs is a pleasure. Requires emotional intelligence, effective communication skills, and being able to work independently or in a group setting. Part time employment salary is difficult to live off of solely.
Contracted posititon
Youth Advocate/Transporter (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 18, 2018
I enjoyed working with youths making a difference in there life not fixing the problems but assisting them in maintaining the problems.I felt as if my job security left when the DSS board decided to change it's requirements to a Bachelor level of education after 12 yeas of experiance.
Yap needs to follow its core principles
BEHAVIORAL SPECIALIST CONSULTANT/MOBILE THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  New Milford, PAFebruary 1, 2018
Poor management that does not follow its own core principles. No advancement. Incompetent staff. Chaotic and disorganized work environment. Benefits are non-existent.