Youth Consultation Service Employee Reviews

It depends on the location
Clinical Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Haddon Heights, NJJuly 9, 2018
My supervisors at YCS were great. They helped me develop my skills and encouraged my work with a difficult population. The pay is not great but the benefits of working with this population is great!
I have a great deal of respect for the supervisors and mgrs.
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 11, 2018
Up communication and down communication could be improved. Clinical staff could be more interactive with RA's. That would serve to create a more cohesive staff which will result in more effective and professional delivery of service. By in large the level of caring and empathy on the part of the staff for the consumers is exemplary.
Pros
It is a great place to gain quality experience.
It depends
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denville, NJMay 21, 2018
You may or may not luck out and get hired at a decent group home with non violent residents and a dependable and responsible manager. Good luck with that.
buse
Behavioral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMay 13, 2018
Clients were can be very aggressive. I was always placed with the aggressive clients. I was led to believe that my department was stronger than it was. Everyone was laid off.
Pros
a job
Cons
a low paying job
What you learned
Personal Assistant/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJMay 8, 2018
YCS has not only made me a hard worker, but have given me skills that I can not only use in my profession field but also in my everyday life. My co workers, the clients and their families have all made me feel so welcome and it has made it a comfortable work environment.
Stressful doing restraints...not enough time to actually enjoy the kids.
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 7, 2018
Not a place i would recommend unless you have a high tolerence for stress and kids hitting you. You dont always work at the same site. Its not the most organized when it comes to scheduling staff.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Little to no break time, mandatory OT
see below
Clinician II (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 2, 2018
While YCS is still going strong in the state, the group home where I worked is closed. That may be a good thing. It was a place that could not keep its heart and soon after I got there lost its head. we had six directors in a period of 13 months.
Pros
Very reasonable commute
Cons
Too many changes in leadership of the house
poor place of employment
Senior RA (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJApril 30, 2018
I gave them one star because i feel the job could have been a good one. But they never had the best interest of the employees and they always turned employees against each other.
Nice place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Sewell, NJApril 19, 2018
Nice place to work fun staff excellent clients. hated to leave but needed more pay. managment work with me in so many different was and supported my many scheduling conflicts.
Pros
Great managment
Cons
Low pay
Great Emplolyment
Behavioral Technician (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 13, 2018
They really care about their staff! Great job if you enjoy working with children on the autism spectrum and children with behavioral challenges. You may need a second job however like any other non-profit, it does not pay enough.
productive fast paced workplace
Situational Response Team (SRT) Northern Region (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJApril 13, 2018
It all depends on the attitude and relationship you build and create with the individuals we serve here at YCS I learned that communication is a must the hardest part of the job can be a difficult staff your working with who chooses what they will do instead of working as a team.
Pros
Free meal varies
Cons
mandating
You will learn how to work under massive stress.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 26, 2018
management could have been better . The hardest part of the job was dealing with staff. However you would find good staff in the mist of the company it just so unprofessional and unorganized at time the real beauty was being able to assist the children with guidance
Pros
The children were good to get to know, some staff came professional
Cons
The Management.
good star point
Accounts Payable Coordinator & Data entry (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 19, 2018
it a work with no appreciation, i will not give more information , it a good starting point to open more door. people are friendly and kind, but it no way of advance career wise ,
Incredibly misleading
RA (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMarch 12, 2018
You think you are coming to this company to work with troubled youth and their families?

Get ready to be a prison guard in kid jail.

No room for advancement.

Very little pay for the stress involved.

Management is only concerned with themselves.
Movies, Sporting Events
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMarch 5, 2018
If you love working with children, YCS is the job for you. Children who have been neglected and abused either physically, mentally, or emotionally, truly need our caring and support.
Pros
Free lunch, breakfast and dinner.
Cons
lack of career advancements.
great people
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 15, 2018
I enjoyed the opportunity of getting the chance to work at ycs I love working with kids it brings positive energy to the table also I love cleaning and cutting grass
Positive working eviornment
Situational Response Team/Behavioral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 30, 2018
A great place to work and to gain experience in a diverse environment. Working with children, youth and residents with mental illnesses are great challenges. Thus, working as a team helps staff to fulfill the requirements of providing quality services as well as a supportive environment for all clients.
A new and different experience
Situational Response Team (SRT-Northern Region) (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJanuary 29, 2018
Hardest part of the job is not knowing what type of issues you will run into for the day. Not enough coverage. Hard to see such young individuals go through such difficulty or traumatic experiences.
I learned a lot about the DDD community
Pros
Helping individual with special needs or behavioral issues
Cons
Not enough coverage
Alot of work no pay, no room for advancement
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJanuary 22, 2018
The job itself was not stressful but management itself could careless about their employees or the children at the facilities. They care about lining their pockets with bonuses. There are no raises given, they care about opening new programs instead of taking care of their existing ones, and HR is a joke every single one of them should be fired from there.
Pros
free meals while working
Cons
everything else
terrible place, no structure, poor management and under paid
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 10, 2018
This place has poor management, no structure, no accountability, dangerous for staff and children and the staff is under paid! The kids are not the problem it the people that work for this organization.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor manaement, ghetto and under paid