Youth Consultation Service Employee Reviews

Great Emplolyment
Behavioral Technician (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 13, 2018
They really care about their staff! Great job if you enjoy working with children on the autism spectrum and children with behavioral challenges. You may need a second job however like any other non-profit, it does not pay enough.
Incredibly misleading
RA (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMarch 12, 2018
You think you are coming to this company to work with troubled youth and their families?

Get ready to be a prison guard in kid jail.

No room for advancement.

Very little pay for the stress involved.

Management is only concerned with themselves.
Movies, Sporting Events
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMarch 5, 2018
If you love working with children, YCS is the job for you. Children who have been neglected and abused either physically, mentally, or emotionally, truly need our caring and support.
Pros
Free lunch, breakfast and dinner.
Cons
lack of career advancements.
great people
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 15, 2018
I enjoyed the opportunity of getting the chance to work at ycs I love working with kids it brings positive energy to the table also I love cleaning and cutting grass
YCS is a tough place to work, the days are challenging, but i have a good team of people in my corner
Residential Assistant/ Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 17, 2017
YCS is a challenging place to work. Everyday I'm on the brink of having a confrontation of some sort. There are extra difficult day, then there are days that aren't as bad, compounded but the strenuous work environment is the lack of salary and monetary compensation that the job provides. I feel like I could work a similar job that compensates me more proportionate to my job responsibilities
Unstable work environment
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Southern New JerseyOctober 19, 2017
Work can be very difficult at times due to lack of communication. Some houses have better management however most are cutting it close. The clients do not have any areas for them to truly relax. The houses are somewhat over crowded. No management will say the words Thank you for a job well done. No bonuses or raises giving to the employees however a new house is always opening without properly trained staff. Not a very therapeutic environment.
Pros
Some of the staff
Cons
Low pay, no recognition
Very stressful
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NJSeptember 10, 2017
This is not a job for you if you do not have patience. Patience is the number one thing that one must have in order to work at this job. It's a great job if you know how to deal with tough children.
Really enjoyed the culture here and the balance they gave to employees
Supervisor (Situation Response Team) (Former Employee) –  Somerdale, NJAugust 30, 2017
Great staff and management. Enjoyed working with all populations and had great incentives.
raises and bonuses were also a plus
Employer worked with staff when staff was going through personal issues
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Internet, court yard for kids to play ..arts and craft area...game area..movies ..going out for actiivities
Houskeeping/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Patterson njAugust 26, 2017
Overall the supervisor and managers and staff are wonderful..they really care as a friend and your well being...i love them..they work with you and not against you ..if the world can have a boss like I did...this world would be rushing to work..seriously awesome staff
great company to grow
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sewell, NJAugust 14, 2017
you will have to get into the company to see all the amazing things they have to offer . I had many experience working with different and all age child to adults with DDD .
Pros
advance in growth
Cons
Higher Pay
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJAugust 5, 2017
If you're looking for a slow placed environment with good work life balance, then YCS is the place for you. If you're looking for an organization with an Executive Leadership team with clear objectives, then this may not be the place for you.
Good work life balance
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange, NJMarch 10, 2017
Cool Company
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJMarch 2, 2017
The pay rate might start a little low at first but with more training your pay increases and they give lots of free training. YCS is very open to transfers and great holiday pay and vacation pay.
Administration is terrible
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 22, 2017
The principal is a horrible person. Makes up rules for the school that are contradictory to hr and lies to the employees. The staff are great but unfortunately the constant berating from the principal is unbearable and almost everyone leaves after a short period of time. The turn over is rediculous.
Pros
Staff members, hours
Cons
Principal, pay
Working with children who lives with different disabilities
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 27, 2017
Assist children with daily needs, implement service plans and meet all emotional, physical, personal and social needs. Assure individuals are safe and clean living environment .
Good for school
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Township of Randolph, NJJanuary 2, 2017
Work with individuals with mental disabilities. Great job if you are a student. I was able to work full-time and go to school full-time while I completed my Master's Degree.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
low pay, no room for advancement
ONLY GOOD if you like morning jobs
teachers aide II (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJAugust 26, 2016
The people you work with are cool. The administration are a bunch of tools. I worked at the site in montclair. Def good job if you like morning work.Your usually out be 3pm. The pay sucks for the type of work your doing. You would think since its special needs you get paid more but def not the case.
Pros
staff you work with
Cons
pay sucks, administration sucks
personal assistant
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJAugust 8, 2016
This company is the worst to work for. You have no work/life balance at all. The management is horrible and they don't show you any type of acknowledgement for doing a great job.You don't get raises or bonuses but they continue to open up new houses.
Bad Supervisors
SRT (Former Employee) –  Somerdale, NJMay 12, 2016
This job is out of pocket. The Supervisors are all PAL's and will do anything to cover they behind especially if you're new. I worked here for about two months under a manager who gave very small details for large task then think its ok to document it if bs hit the fan. Then on top of that your mistake are counted for based on your friendship not your reputation or work ethnic. I never been butt kisser and i wouldn't be one for YCS. Just listen how after you start working mad extra task will be thrown your way which was not mentioned in the job description or interview. You drive far bad sometimes. They take years to pay you for gas and mileage. If the supervisors are friends they will team up on you to make sure they good and hit you with the book and policy and send you or your way. This job is very challenging if you are dumb enough to stay.
Pros
The money
Miscommunication
SRT Behavioral Assistant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 4, 2016
when first applying for the job I was told I would be working directly with children who needed mentoring. when once hired I was put to work with autistic adults. if you are bilingual they will take advantage! also including shorting your paychecks! this job requires a lot of traveling and time! Working at some of the group homes, the staff treated the children very poorly. I was not pleased by the attitudes of my coworkers. I love children but this was not the place for me. every experience is different. hopefully yours is nothing like mine!
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else