Youth Development Institute Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
didnt like it here
Youth Care worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 11, 2018
didnt like it here. The orgnaization is amazing. I did not like the people i worked with. It was a fun place to work. They give anyone that want extra hours.
Written below
Recreation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 4, 2018
I have not worked for this agency in over 15 years. I do not feel my opinion in 2018 would be relevant or worthwhile for anyone to use while making an informed decision on career placement
Ydi
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2018
It was stressful. Not working with the children but the staff. The overnight hours were challenging. The staff were not open and did not work well as team.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
The hours
The preparing job for bx health
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2018
YDI is a unique starting place for behavioral health. Overall you are overworked and undermined. YDI is focused on the kids coming first. Employees are left behind with little to any notice. If you plan on working here be sure to have a way to decompress this job is very stressful.
Horrible management from administration
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 10, 2018
Horrible management from administration, and the individuals who own and run the facility are not only rude and unprofessional, but also play into favoritism amongst the staff and the clients residing in the facility. It is an extremely high stress environment, and there is little to no support from upper management or administration. Administration also bullies the staff and blames staff for any and all of the clients' poor actions when they occur. It is an emotionally and physically draining environment, and the poor administration and management adds to that tremendously in the most negative fashion. The only positive note about this facility is that there are some great clients residing there who really need help from caring, kind, and consistent individuals. It's a shame that the upper management and administration makes it unbearable for people to remain in the position.
Pros
free food, overtime hours.
Cons
emotional trauma, horrible management, extremely underpaid for the job that is required to be done.
provider a safe envorinemnt to teenagers
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 2, 2017
the staff to create a safe envorment for teenager to grow and help to believe in themselves. It is tough job to work with trouble teenager but it can provide service for teenager to charge and grow.
The work schedule can be difficult at times.
Pros
seeing charges in the teenagers
Cons
no grown in the company
Unique Opportunity
Recreation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2017
YDI has a very positive mission and philosophy for working with a difficult population. They offer on site training on an ongoing basis. There is significant opportunity for employees to work overtime, however in some positions, overtime is mandatory/unavoidable. Career advancement potential varies as does support from management.
Productive, Intense, Fun
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2017
This job is intense, but as you get to know the work place environment and build good relationships with staff and clients, the job becomes easier and productive. The staff who work there are friendly and understanding, with lending hands.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Cons
Don't get to leave to have a lunch break.
I learned new things everyday and enjoyed working with so many professional people.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 3, 2017
I arrived and gathered information about the clients over the past shift. I reviewed the log and talked to my supervisor about the floor that I had to cover. I learned from new situations that happened everyday.
Also I enjoyed my time working in there because I had an excellent relationship with all of them. The hardest part of the job was sometimes the lack to communicate and reach out the children by knowing their needs.
Pros
There was a wealth of knowledge to be learned. The training they provided
Cons
There had a narrow room for pregnant women.
ydi
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 22, 2016
A place to learn some techniques and work a lot of hours. They have a group home setting and a S.A. unit and a RTC so that you can get experience at all levels of placement.
Depends on Co-workers / Philosophy
YCW (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2015
Philosophy is weird.

Co-workers make all the difference because at the end of the day that is all you have.

Kids were sometimes rewarded for bad behaviors and the good behaviors were noticed but were rewarded just the same or maybe a tad more than others.

They did a lot for the kids.

High-turnover + low qualifications = some interesting coworkers.

Whats up and TM and BS, sidekicks for life ;)
Pros
Freee food, laid back at times
Cons
Philosophy
Conflicting Words
YCW (Former Employee) –  PhoenixAugust 19, 2015
This is not an easy job, but it is very rewarding. The only real complain I have is the lack of communication between the higher ups. Information was relayed over to staff incorrectly and not in detail. It puts many employees in a bad situation, so just be aware.
Hands-on job, high turnover, stressful environment
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
To be successful in this position you must have a passion for helping at-risk youth. The job is extremely stressful but very rewarding. The rotating schedule is annoying but requesting time off for holidays or weekends is do-able. Lots of potential for overtime. Co-workers are helpful in getting acquainted with the position.
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
No lunch break, mandatory meetings every week
High-Paced Enviroment, 24 hours locked down facility for juvenile offenders
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2015
TYPICAL DAY: document behavioral reports daily; maintain assigned work area (cleanliness/organize); execute client’s Individual Treatment Plan as requested by the therapist; attend weekly team meetings regarding specific incident reports; establish a curative relationship with youth.

MANAGEMENT: rarely seen, rotating on units.

CO-WORKERS: friendly, coordinated care of clients for safety of going onto unit.

HARDEST PART OF JOB: high-stress, can be 'targeted' at any moment and be placed in danger if a client goes a-wall or attacks you.

MOST ENJOYABLE: witnessing the youth have "breakthrough's" with their treatment.
Pros
great experience for becoming BHT
Cons
hours (2pm-11pm), unsafe enviroment on unit and local neighborhood (downtown phoenix)
Work with interesting youth
security (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 14, 2014
Too many rules that were set by the state were being broken . Family member was very sick
amazing coworkers great benefits
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  phoenix, azApril 25, 2014
Great place to help kids overcome their struggles. Plenty of opportunities for overtime. Great coworkers.
true to thier mission to help children
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2014
Great place to work if you care about helping children. The core philosophy to help children is the center of every thing the do.
Pros
great peers to work with, true to mission statement
Cons
high turn over, poor work life balance when in management positions
Youth Care Worker/Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 6, 2013
A typical day for me at this job was working with autistic children in the school system. I learned how to be thankful and patient. My co workers was awesome to work with. The hardest part of this job was to try to get the kids to learn. The most enjoyable part of this job was that I changed a kid life.
Pros
Awesome co workers to work with
Cons
No stability
Caring and Competent Facility..
RN (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 28, 2013
This facility focuses on the care and concerns of the children.
Youth development institute
Food Service Worker, Inventory (Former Employee) –  Phoneix,ArizonaJanuary 12, 2012
The things that kept me movated with a postive attitude was the enviornment the culture that they kept with workers as well as clients. The structure was what made me happy to show up on time and give my best efforts at work there was already a list of things for me to do and complete and when my time management was off there was someone there to help me pick back up on my task .
Pros
breacks if choosen.disscusions, we'd have when there was poor profromance.
Cons
cleaniness around the enviortment at times