Youth Enrichment League

Youth Enrichment League Employee Reviews

Great Workplace for students and/or Part-time seekers
Love YEL with a great management team! They are super flexible and understanding. They make sure you are happy and satisfied and that we are all on the same boat! Being a full-time student, YEL worked perfectly with my schedule!
Pros
Mileage Reimbursement
Cons
Full-time Hours unlikely
Very good place to work
Though there are some natural limits to this teaching opportunity, I have greatly enjoyed this opportunity and hope to keep teaching with them for the rest of my life.
Pros
Good pay, work with kids, Gas Stipid
Cons
Requires a large amount of the afternoon/evening
Coach
Fun,relaxed. Good place to work. Great communication between the managers and myself. Great way to encourage physical activity while being active with youth. Just an all around fun and exciting job to go to.
Pros
Kids, learning, play at work, positive and nurturing environment
Cons
Not enough classes in the day
A great experience!
I am leaving YEL to meet my own financial requirements. I highly recommend it if you are energized by teaching and having fun with lots of great kids. I hope to return when I am able.

I enjoy chess and found the instruction materials very good for youngsters. Kids will likely be there because they want to be and have fully engaged support from their parents. How the group responds, I think, will likely depend on a teacher's strengths, but make a connection, care and it will go well. I had a blast!

You have some instruction and support, but this is a solo position and success or failure is on you. I loved this aspect of the job, but be aware of this.
Pros
Great fun and challenge! Autonomy. Chess!
Cons
The pay is fair per hour, but is limited in work hours possible.
Solid organization focused on the kids
I had a great time teaching a variety of after school programs to kids. The management was good and the parents were grateful. A great job to have while in college.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Easy Job if your good with kids
This Job is easy you only need to be good with kids. You don't need to know so much of what you are teaching the kids. Youth Enrichment will give you all the materials and a packet on what you can and will teach the kids during class. Every year the teachers will get together to talk about, what we have done, what we can do better and, what we can do from here. Everyone is very nice and can help you along.
Pros
Great Pay for a small bit of your time
Cons
Sometimes trying to watch all the kids
Awesome managment
Management were awesome. They always paid for your time no matter what. They treated you with respect and would always give you praise if they heard compliments from parents. I would do this full time but maybe after retirement.
Caring company filled with good people
The best managers I've ever had, generally cared about the well-being of all of their employees, and the content of their classes. Regular meeting discuss change and potential ideas. Very flexible hours and well paid -- an excellent after-school, weekend, or second job. The standard to which I hold all subsequent employers (most suffer in comparison).
Flexible, Fun, and Independent
- Great for a second job
- Work is Independent, allowing teachers to develop their own teaching styles without following a strict guideline.

- Very flexible
Pros
Fun and engaging atmosphere, Organized management, Friendly staff
Cons
Very low on hours during the school year, More hours available during the summer.
Youth Enrichment League
Great place to work for. I love teaching children chess and there are many opportunities to teach other programs. Great school selection and pay. All equipment is provided.
Pros
Schedule, pay, nice staff, fun
Cons
A wonderful opportunity for anyone to be important in the life of children - our greatest natural resource!
The Youth Enrichment League offers everyone the opportunity to teach children about an interesting variety of subjects. The company management, operations and personnel are excellent. I am very grateful for this opportunity to be a positive influence in the lives of the children I teach. It has been 7 years of exciting, fast-paced fun. I am one of the few lucky people that do not work for a living - I "play" for a living! Thanks Youth Enrichment League!!
Youth Enrichment League is a wonderful company to work for as a part time teacher/instructor. The company offers flexible hours Monday-Friday afternoons plus occasional evening or Saturday morning classes. Morning and/or afternoon camps are offered during the summer time. The goal is to bring the highest quality after-school programs and activities to both public and private schools throughout Minnesota, Colorado, and sections of Wisconsin and Iowa. Teaching through YEL and working with children is a great learning and life enriching experience for the instructors as well. The management is highly professional, dynamic, and loyal to YEL employees. Instructors of all ages are all highly committed and dedicated educators, and they are truly fun to work with. The job requires some commuting which can sometimes be challenging, but the time spent working with students, sharing the knowledge and skills and having fun with them is definitely rewording and worth the few extra miles.
Pros
Flexible hours; Spectrum of teaching opportunities; Mileage reimbursement;
Cons
Occasionally challenging commuting
Productive and fun workplace, working with kids and being a positive influence on them
I teach kids, grades K-5, how to play chess. This includes teaching them strategy as well, so they can enjoy playing chess at a higher level. I learn how to handle kids in a classroom environment. Employer management is organized and friendly. Co-workers are helpful, friendly, and well chosen for their ability to assist in a classroom setting. The most challenging part of my job is handling misbehavior from a student or multiple students. I've learned how to deal with this in a professional and successful manner, maintaining trust from the school and from the parents. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the kids have a good time and seeing their interest in chess growing. This can apply to any subject matter, by the way, and not just limited to chess. I use chess because that's what I am currently teaching.
Pros
Free food at company meetings and great entertainment. Teaching can be fun.
Cons
Healthcare is costly and not covered if you are a part-time teacher.
Offers outstanding opportunities to inspire young students.
The Youth Enrichment League offers outstanding opportunities for young students to pursue extra-curricular activities that are not usually provided in after school programs. From chess to fencing to Legos to music (as well as many other options), students are challenged intellectually, physically, and creatively to reach their fullest potentials.
The management of this organization is exceptional, providing outstanding support to the teachers. There is tremendous respect between the administration and teachers and a sense of "family" between co-workers.

Inspiring young people is the true mission of the Youth Enrichment League and the students are the real winners.
Pros
Great support, good salary, wonderful opportunities.
Cons
Not enough work in the summer months.
Getting kids to smile while they learn!
I love teaching the classes here in Red Wing! I really enjoy seeing the kids master skills and complete projects! I live in the community where I teach so I have kids and parents both ask me when our in the community when my next class is! I have built my classes up so they are full which means more money for me! Also I learn from the kids every class as well!
Pros
Quick easy classes, good pay, materials provided
Cons
Late parents
October 18, 2016
Thank you for teaching in Red Wing with us. It's a small, beautiful community that certainly has a need for enrichment.

You are a great example of an instructor who comes to us with ideas (i.e. "Hey, let's do chess in Red Wing. I can teach chess.") and inspires us to provide more opportunities for the Red Wing youth.

You are a stellar instructor and we appreciate your hard work and "Can-Do" Attitude.

Late parents are an issue. We'll continue to address this with parents as clients in hope that parents will behave better. Some kid's parents...sheesh!
Chess comes alive to our kids..
the kids are a joy to teach and I learn more about the game as their little facial expressions show excitement and discovery. chess comes alive in the their hearts and minds and after a good game they say good game and then they do clean and put away the area better than they found it.
Pros
the job uses my talents with teaching children a game that I Iove.
Cons
I would like to expand my territory and advance with the company.
October 18, 2016
Thank you for the awesome feedback. Chess is near and dear to our hearts here at YEL. Our program is developed by Women's International Master and former Russian Champion Serafima (Sima) Sokolovskaya. It's edited to make it easy for even new instructors to quickly grasp the chess concept being taught, and our format is designed so students learn a new concept each week and work to incorporate that into their game.

Of course, our primary goal is to nurture the thinking process in our youth. Chess has huge benefits for focusing a child's mind and developing their critical thinking skills.

THANK YOU for helping us reach our mission in various communities.

Regarding expanding your community...call us. We'll look at options to give you more instructional opportunities.

Have a great day!

Chet
Best part time job ever
I absolutely love working for YEL. The office staff are wonderful and they take an active interest in making sure you are set up for success. They give you all of the supplies and they give you a crash course on how to best be prepared. They offer a variety of interests from sports to chess to Legos.
Pros
They supply everything
Cons
Sometimes the commute to the school
October 18, 2016
Thank you for the awesome feedback. We really do work hard to help our instructors flourish in their classrooms.

We always tell instructors to call us anytime if they need any supplies, have questions about a lesson or need some pointers on classroom management.

We understand that instructors are the primary driving force to quality enrichment.

Regarding the commute...it can be a bummer, especially in afternoon traffic. We work to keep instructors working within a 15 mile radius of their home. If it's outside that radius, we do offer a gas stipend. We'll continue to work to find options closer to home for all of our instructors.

Have a great day!

Chet
Educating children after school
I had the opportunity to work with children in grades K-5 in a variety of after school classes. No day was typical. We learned as we played.