Youth Policy Institute Employee Reviews

Good for a student
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Sylmar, CAOctober 17, 2018
My time with YPI helped me as a student who needed a part time, but still desired to study at night. The only reason I left is because I needed a job that was more flexible and I could work during weekends. However, if not I would have stayed because it pays well, work is fulfilling, and very acceptive of your school schedule.
Pros
Student Oriented
Cons
Funding is limited for your club
fun
Summer Youth Event coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2018
Every year when school was out for summer I would sign up to their summer youth employment program. I met a lot of amazing people who became my friends. And I gained lots of team building experience that I still imply with my own life today.
An awesome company
Enrichment Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2018
A typical day would take place after-school.
I was located in a High-School setting, which required us to have student engage in after-school clubs/activities.

This meant to construct an environment where student can unwind, and engage within something outside academia. It was fun, because it allowed my creative rendering skills to blossom. I was able to create various clubs, such as; cooking, Yoga and Zumba club.

I learned that working with High Schoolers is my jam. Being able to provide enrichment and out of the norm activities for the kids was an awesome part of my day.

Some duties included to clean and tidy up around classrooms.
I had no problem with having to do so.
Pros
Great Site Coordinator & Coworkers
Cons
part-time; wish it was a full-time job
Day in the Life of YPI
Inner office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 29, 2018
On a day to day basis with my co workers was a very relaxed environment and more so had to make things happen on our own rather than getting help from management. So it was a learning process to become more self-sufficient which rolled over to our own personal lives which was a bonus.
Pros
Fun environment for co workers
Cons
Lack of support through management
Too much work for the amount of recognition and salary.
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2018
A typical day at Youth Policy Institute felt more like a fun working with the kids yet stressful having to deal with a "professional" boss who only expects a lot yet there is little recognition. Taking sides with people she prefers is not what a work environment should feel like. Did love working with the kids that was my light of day, but when it came to my boss and coworkers it was just too much.
Not a place to inspire
Enrichment Instructor (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAAugust 3, 2018
I worked there for 6+ years, and in the course of one week, I was let go. No rhyme or reason. The company hires individuals who do not care about the work and overlooks major issues.
Cons
everything
Easy In Easy Out
Data Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2018
I loved working at YPI. I had smart, reliable and amazing supervisor and colleagues but I had to resign since there wasn't flexibility or logical consideration of the type of work I did to help me keep my job. I have worked hard and well and had gotten a raise more than almost every one else in the department but apparently I wasn't worth more negotiating at the executive level. I wish them well and hope they can get to a place where they can provide more interesting environment and competitive salary/benefits so that employees stay with them longer. Loosing so many and so fast leaves work undone, more pressure on others staying and more burden on the whole organization. Small teams like R&E whose work is to showcase the efforts of the rest of YPI should be more appreciated. So many times I have seen smart and caring people coming on board with lots of hope, inventing fantastic processes and procedures but leave without passing the work to the next person and thus the next has to figure all out all over again. Such waste of money, time and energy. This might be a chronic illness of the non profits in general but YPI is not like many other.
It was chill.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2018
I got helped build my resume and also cover letter. I enjoyed working with my case-manager. We learned how to give good customer service. It was fun and chill.
Stressful
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CAJune 24, 2018
If you want the experience like teaching and creating your own lesson planning for your own assigned class it’s great other than this. The stress level is high. They assign you 20 to 22 max of children to just one teacher. The pay rate is not that great and zero support from administration.
Pros
Experience such as lesson planning
Cons
Low pay rate, level of stress is high .
Stepping stone opportunity
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 12, 2018
Good benefits but top management disconnects with front line staff. Under compensated for the work you implement on a day to day basis. Having strong social skills is a plus.
Flexibility Required
Academic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 23, 2018
Great place to work short term. Must be able to adjust to a fast pace environment, willing to wear multiple hats, and take on a large variety of tasks all at once. Great benefits package, compensation not so great.
Pros
Cons
Compensation
Going through the Day
COLLEGE AND CAREER AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 20, 2018
Really straightforward, assisting of high school students usually from 8 am - 5 pm on a regular day. Days can be stressful but some days can slow down and have time to work on other important work. Majority of students usually have questions about college and career. There may be situations where the job may require tutoring support for the students.
Pros
Health care, Segal award, and Child care
Cons
Stipend pay and volunteer experience
The Job Was Ok
Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pacoima, CAApril 18, 2018
I would have enjoyed working with middleschoolers everyday, but the support I received cause me undue stress and hardship. If the program could have been managed better, I believe my time would have been different.
Pros
kids, independence, downtime
Cons
little support
Great atmosphere for collaboration
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 13, 2018
We are always presented with opportunities to collaborate with our colleagues to improve. We are also constantly rewarded with the satisfaction of pushing our families and students to succeed, especially in today's climate.
Pros
Wonderful colleagues, team building, and trainings
Cons
Pay rate
Enter At Your Own Risk
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 12, 2018
Support from upper management is very minimal at best. Communication among executives if there is any is non-existant, grants are constantly mismanaged, office-politics particularly in the Hollywood executive office on Sunset is beyond rampant where you can feel the tension among the higher ups and the staff. It really does not help morale when these same executives are seen and heard in the breakroom talking down on the employees, that includes the CEO, the COO, and their administrative secretary, who always brags about giving her work off to other staff and taking credit for their efforts. Mind you this is a "non-profit" that's supposed to have the community and employees best interest in mind.
Pros
Good if you don't plan to stay long
Cons
Too many office politics, employees are constantly on edge, upper management is aware but does nothing.
This place was not nice to work
Lead Tutor (Former Employee) –  Inglewood, CAApril 9, 2018
would not work here again; if you have other options and are struggling between the the options do not choose this one; it it a very stressful place to work.
Job with a purpose
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 5, 2018
YPI gave me the chance to give back to the community that raised me. My job was stressful but I loved the students and staff I worked with every day. The agency really cares about the people who do the groundwork and it shows.
Stressful yet somehow fulfilling
Tutor/Music Production and Performance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Inglewood, CAMarch 20, 2018
I enjoy the interaction with the kids. They actually want to learn something new. The politics involved with the school and the children is exhausting.
Pros
Great fun with the kids
Cons
The student to Tutor ratio is way off.
Place to gain experience
Regional Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Overall a great company to work for with a vision and mission. All the pieces of the puzzle are not in place for an agency with such rapid growth which can impact/hinder your full potential. Competitive company with little incentives (bonus, merits, events, etc.). Provide support to grow and you gain a lot of experience.
Good, but not for me
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Inglewood, CAFebruary 12, 2018
The environment was quick-paced and hectic. There wasn't enough time to do everything necessary. Maybe better time management would improve this. Additionally, parents did not take the program seriously (some only see it as a daycare for their students) and that did not help with the environment the program tries to cultivate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Policy Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight