Youth Uprising Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It was a fun way to stay busy when i was a teenager
Community Engagement and Outreach Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 3, 2018
Overall it was a a good experience great was to stay busy while in high school and make a little money on the side. I had the privilege to interact with a lot of people and learn effective communication skills.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
minimum wage
Pleasant work place with rewarding results
Intake/Orientation Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 2, 2018
Working directly with the youth in Oakland’s Urban community is very rewarding. Assisting youth with setting and acheiving their goals, preparing them for a successful life is what I love about this job.
Cons
Not every client will succeed
Youth Uprising was a very hlepful program
Multimedia Arts (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Youth Uprising provided media art skills for me i enjoy making advertisements and flyers for other companies such as youth uprising . i improved on my Computer skills a lot
Great Environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 8, 2018
Diverse network of people, safe space for youth, clean facilities. Respect is stressed, excellent community core values, hands on training, and many opportunities to branch off into a world all your own.
Pimping poor kids
Career Coach/Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 27, 2017
Something is not right about this place. The head director of this place is using the grants for personal use. Seem like when people start asking questions, they get fired even if they are doing really well with the Youth.
Pros
Nice Hard working people
Cons
Great place for a first job
YU Lead Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 20, 2017
I love it at Youth Uprising it is a variety of things to do their to help you connect to who you are. The atmosphere is just peaceful and mind clearing.
Great opportinuty for youth
Non-Profit Staff Accountant/Payroll/HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 11, 2017
I began this job as a staff accountant and because of some staffing issues, I had to do Director of Finance work. I was working as an HR Generalist and accountant/grant facilitator.

I learned a great deal of information about payroll and grant approvals and the grant reporting process.

The hardest part of my job was to do the work of 3 people and for the Director to still expect you to succeed.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to interact with the youth that was a part of the programs offered at Youth Uprising.
Pros
Great program for Youth
Cons
Executive Director was hard to work with
okay place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 21, 2017
it was oky place just hard to focus .they help with education and getting a job as youth in oakland ca . they also have studios for singers and rappers
Pros
everything u need there
Cons
hard place to stay focus
Pretty easy going for hard labor
Community Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 30, 2017
I went out with around 5 or 6 guys including the supervisor to do mainly yard-work and gardening. Environment was extremely relaxed and fun while still maintaining a hardworking ethic. Supervisor was out with us working which is a HUGE deal and would even buy us all lunch on a job well done. Can make friends easily. great place for youth to start out.
Pros
Great management, co workers. Never too stressful or too easy
Cons
Hard labor
Good workplace for youth starting off
Landscaper/Janitor (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 22, 2017
A day at work was being with my team mates and cleaning up multiple properties a day. I learned how to utilize some power tools. My manager was decent.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad attitudes
Important Community Resource
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 9, 2017
Management here needs conscious and ethical leadership. The work is important and the community deserves a place like YU - however, mismanagement and toxic workplace culture create high turnover.
Pros
Nature of work draws open minded and hardworking people
Cons
Leadership does not have youth development lens
Youth Uprising Review
Personal assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 28, 2017
Working with Youth Uprising was a real learnin experience i got my first job with them and they treat you like family. a normal day at work was pretty easy normal paperwork.
A great place to work if you enjoy learning as much as teaching.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 25, 2016
When you like what you do, it never feels like work. Everyday you see something new and come up new ideas. Positive people around all the time, makes you feel safe and comfortable.
Fun work place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 11, 2016
Youth Uprising is great because when I first came to Youth Uprising I didn't know was going to work here. When they ask me to work with them I was shock because I never herd someone ask me to work for them. When I started I got to meet my co-workers and had a good relationship with them.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short break
Great company for youth to get a better chance in life with or without a high school diploma
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 9, 2016
Awesome days at work, learning different types of things everyday. Management is great because its built from the ground up self made. My co-workers were just a great as me. The hardest part about the job is actually getting the youth to participate in all activites, but the most enjoyable part is knowing that I made an impact on a childs life that day.
Ok place for young adults to work
Landscaping/Janitorial Trainee (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 11, 2016
A non profit organization who uses the folks from proverty to do dirty work. They don't appreciate people, if you don't have kids they believe u shouldn't be working there.
Busy, Crazy, Funfilful day
Phone Banker/Community Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 20, 2015
Working for this company helpd me with my customer service and also my speed. Working in this type of enviorment is very good.
Pros
Time went by fast
Cons
Teammates
Associate Director of Career Services (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 18, 2015
I gained valuable work experience in administration, public speaking, data research, funding research and many transferrable skills to enhance any company that I become a staff member of.
productive envioment with great job expiriences that also allows children and young adults an enviroment to get away.
Junior staff (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 13, 2015
Youth Uprising is a great place to go for youth to go get things done. Youth Uprising provides a lot of things from education to job trainings. Its a good way for youth to get away and get jobs to provide for them or their family.
Pros
jobs, education programs, and the staff.
Cons
healthcare, short hours, not a lot of money for two weeks
Outgoing and taking charge
YU Lead (Former Employee) –  oakland caJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at work would be coaching the kids on responsibility and being a leader. learning how to work with all kinds of children with different needs. Overall my job was the best it allowed me to connect with younger kids and be looked up to as a mentor.