Youth Villages Employee Reviews

Workplace
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  TennesseeApril 12, 2019
Working at YV I met so many wonderful people however working there I have experienced the worst work environment. So many secrets that involve your position; movement within courtyards in less than 4 months and people that are supposed to help you grow are really just looking out for themselves.
Pros
Meeting amazing people
Cons
Constant changing positions, severely understaffed
Great starter job
Transtional Living Specialist (Lifeset) (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 9, 2019
Great job for fresh out of school or for people getting a masters degree. They have awesome training which helps you be successful in the job. There management staff are awesome leaders. Just wish the enetry level pay was higher
Pros
Very tight nit office
Cons
Crisis work can be draining
Fantastic towards clients and staff
Intern (Current Employee) –  Paris, TNApril 2, 2019
The company is friendly and encouraging towards staff. The workers main focus is the child but does well to help the foster families and biological families.
Felt like you were fighting for your Life everyday!
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAMarch 28, 2019
The managers took too much pleasure in restraining the residents; management was lacking the maturity to run the facilities a lot smoother; there was never enough coverage to feel safe when needing to do a restraint and there was never enough management or staff attempting to de-escalate before a restraint was ever needed; the place has a good foundation but it seems to have lost its mission along the way; I would suggest this job to military persons; police officers, probation officers anyone who knows how to handle large amounts of stress is close knit , fast paced environment and is trained in some type of physical strengths otherwise you will be in danger of your safety & your stress level will shoot through the roof!
High turnover. Do not appreciate employees!
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 25, 2019
Poor management. Inexperienced management. Unnecessary documentation weekly. No respect for employees, always YV before own family. Limited training yet high expectations.
Pros
Good pay; Great mission and values
Cons
Poor management, unrealistic expectations, no appreciation or recognition, micro management
The work with youth and families is amazing... Upper leadership was unacceptable
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 25, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed the passionate, driven, evidence-based, quality services provided to youth and families. Youth Villages is truly changing lives! With that said, the job is hard. It is non-traditional hours with demands from multiple directions. It is hard to maintain a 40 hour work week. There was a disconnect between upper leadership and lower leadership and staff.
Pros
Team oriented
Cons
Pay
Love working here
Family intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INMarch 4, 2019
We do such great work and bring about a substantial amount of change. Sometimes all one needs is to be listened to and given a second chance and youth villages provides this help.
A wonderful place to work for a new social worker.
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 3, 2019
Youth Villages is an amazing company. It is a wonderful place to work for an individual who has just graduated with a social work degree. The office environment is upset and it is a positive place to be!
Pros
Great benifits.
Cons
high burn-out rate, must practice self-care.
I love Youth Villages!
Multi-Systemic Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 25, 2019
If every company was like Youth Villages, the world would be a better place. I had to move across the country with my family and that is the only reason I left. I have not had a better work experience since leaving. The support and professional development I received while at Youth Villages was incredible. I was a family counselor for the MST program and that requires constant work at having work-life balance, not a fault of Youth Villages. Anytime I needed my supervisor she answered and I was sure to get ethical and reliable direction. I highly recommend working here!
Pros
Supportive, professional, collaborative, empowering
Cons
Difficult program, but rewarding. Otherwise no cons.
Great starting point
MST COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 25, 2019
Youth Villages MST counselor is stressful, though you are supported by management and a lot of quality training in MST. You learn to build community relationships, and collaborate with others. The job hours are unpredictable and if a family cancels it can throw off your whole day. In doing in home therapy, you are in some less than ideal situations and the wear and tear on your car is significant. They start with a low pay, then you get a raise every year for a couple years. I left after the first year. Supervisors were lovely to work with and very willing to work with me to help me learn. They provide a lot of supervision and guidance, which was very helpful. This company does good work in the community and is leader in providing MST.
Pros
supportive management, great starting job.
Cons
unpredictable schedule, pay, driving time, hours
Stepping stone job, not long term career
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  NCFebruary 19, 2019
Like many others, YV has its perks being that the job is somewhat flexible based on your families needs. However, this is a good first time clinical job to get your feet wet, not for something long term. They work from a team effort so one person never has the final say, each decision or choice made is discussed by a leadership team which includes your office clinical supervisor, regional supervisor, clinical consultant, and even the assistant director in some cases. There is no room for growth other than being a supervisor of a team and eventually transferring to another department. The pay is very low, on a bachelors level for them wanting you to have your masters with at least a provisional clinical license if you were not a qualified professional. I think now some of the applicants are able to have a bachelors but the pay seems to be even lower. You have NO work life balance at all. You work at minimum 45 hours most weeks and you can not count your drive time. They expect you to bend over backwards for families & go above and beyond. The one thing I will say is that my clinical supervisor was supportive, but no decision was ever solely up to them alone. It began to become very frustrating and overwhelming as time continued. As someone else stated, the benefits SOUNDS nice but they lock you in, as if you are bound to remain with the company for forever if you agree to those terms. The SIGN-ON bonus and RELOCATION bonus are taxed, so you may get half of it in total. The licensure supervision is nice, but the mileage reimbursement never amounts to what the state actually pays  more... per mile. The turn over rate is extremely high, upper management may ask for your advice but they don’t try to implement nor advocate for change. It’s a business mindset at the end of the day, they care about your numbers and if your intensity was met for the week, not that you are overwhelmed and that you have more cases than what was ever presented in the interview or in training as your max. The placement team gives cases, knowing that sometimes YV isn’t equipped, staffed, or credentialed enough to handle to complex needs of the families. The paperwork is tiring and always changing .. group consultation with your team of counselors and your clinical supervisor are always repetitive, just as the consultation where the clinical consultant joins in to discuss the same set of cases over ... its often times repetitive ! However, I loved the trainings, but they were specific to YV. You were not allowed to pariticiapte in any additional or outside trainings to better your personal professional development as a clinician and that is ridiculous as well. You are forced out into doing things with cases, before the official YV 3 day where everything is throughly broken down ... it normally comes after your first month of being with the company, after you’ve made mistakes. I will say the one thing I never had to question was ethics, the company always abided within social work and lpc guidelines for the most part ... other than a client having the right to self-determination. By that, you would be expected to conduct drive bys and late night sessions alone, without weapons or anything for self defense. You were trained to block your hits and exit immediately if you felt in danger ... but would have to make up those hours to ensure that you were as close to intensity if not over intensity for each family per week. There would only be a $2K raise after a year, no matter if you were fully clinically licensed.

To sum it up, if you need the experience and are fresh out of school, don’t mind living with a room mate or family at a low cost ... take the job. You’ll get the skills and basic foundations for a successful career in the mental health field. They prefer young and fresh clinicians who they can mold into who they’d want them to be. Do what works for you!
Pros
Flexible schedule depending on the needs of the families, trainings
Cons
No work life balance, low pay, long hours no overtime, no room for growth internally
Great working environment with many ways to advance quickly
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TNFebruary 16, 2019
The job varies depending on which campus and what level you're working.
The most enjoyable part is knowing you're helping change a child's life
It is a company that reminds you often of how good you're doing weekly.
Most people in leadership are very good with answering just about any question.
Pros
overtime
Cons
16 hour shifts on weekends
Youth Villages
Social Worker/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 14, 2019
Youth Villages attempts to help youth and children who are in high stress environments or who have not excelled in their home or school environments. The mission is great but the stress is extremely high for the workers.
A wonderful place to work with mostly wonderful coworkers.
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paris, TNFebruary 13, 2019
I loved my time at Youth Villages and I am so thankful for it. The families are the best part of working there but the majority of your coworkers are amazing too. There are so many opportunities and possibilities. I would have stayed if the office/regional supervisors had not been so dirty. I was preparing to move anyways and I no longer needed the job or the bullying happening in the office. The Alabama offices should be shut down and cleared out. Most of the workers are just there for paychecks and not to help families be reunited. Youth Villages as a whole though is an amazing place to work with great trainings and fun get-togethers.
Idk
YouTube Partner (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 6, 2019
I enjoy my job a lot cause it's fun and the best part is I care about my friends and family that work there it's awesome and great I'll always love it!
Pros
Free launches
Cons
Idk
Don't dp it!! Just say no!
Family Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSFebruary 5, 2019
Just save yourself the time and heartache and walk away. It is never as good as it seems and this company is at the top of the list for no integrity! They pay you so low you can not live. You are not allowed to work outside of the company and can be fired for doing so because I was fired for working another job outside of YV even after being told it was ok to do so. The pay is low, we are contracted with the CPS but have no say in the cases or the end result. The CPS workers close the cases on a regular basis without informing you so you spend hours and days trying to work with families and the case has been closed. They do offer mileage and insurance which is good but the rate per mile is $.42 where are the company we are contracted with the CPS gets $.58 per mile. You are required to pay $75 per pay period for insurance which is a plus. The management does not keep their word so if you want consistency then it will not come at this company. You are paid salary so if you work 50 hours you won't get paid for it. Just don't do it and move on! If you need boot camp experience after grad school then by all means apply and join.
Pros
Insurance and mileage
Cons
Leadership has no integrity
Poor management and lack of accountability
Foster Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 29, 2019
I love the mission and values of the company but struggle with the various demands placed on workers by management. Management, also, lacks accountability for the situations it places employees in.
Unforgettable place to work.
FAMILY INTERVENTION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 27, 2019
I love Youth Villages and the business statement to help families that they serve. The job is rewarding and tiring at the same time. The work can be daunting, but if someone is motivated for social work and helping others, then look nowhere else.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule, Great management, and wonderful co-workers.
Cons
Work Life Balance, Unpredictable work schedule
Productive place to work
Clinical Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 23, 2019
Youth Villages does amazing work with youth and families. There is always an opportunity to grow and sharpen yourself through training, supervision, etc. There are some amazing people you get to meet that will challenge you to love your job just as much as they do.
Pros
Continue knowledge through training, great leaders
Cons
Short breaks, some people are intimindated by others success
productive and fun workplace
LifeSet Specialist (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNJanuary 21, 2019
The environment is amazing and all of the employees are supportive. The supervisors are understanding and helpful when it comes to each individual person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight