YRC Freight Employee Reviews

my review
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, CANovember 3, 2018
when I first started the job was great.exellent pay with great benefits.in 2001 yellow bought roadway and we merged.management didn't plan things out and we lost a lot of customers and the company almost went bankrupt.all the union workers took a 15% payout,gaveup a weeks vacation, no raises for the next 5 yrs and the company stopped paying into our pension plan which was very costly.at the end the management were poorly trained and the equipment was old.I did learn to drive a forklift very well and how to take care of our customers freight
Pros
didn't take my work home with me.
Cons
bad supervisors and lazy co-workers
Fast-Paced Work Environment, Great Union benefits
OSD /GENERAL OFFICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 19, 2018
Excellent company that strives for excellence, hard working management team trying to work together with teamsters and follow Union Contract. If you are a hard working individual that follows rules and works as team you will be able to adapt quickly. Learned that you must multi task efficiently to meet expectations from the company and that your job description is subject to change as all work is interchangeable as needed. The hardest part of the job is managing your time and meeting deadlines under a stressful environment. At the end of the day i was gratified with all the hard work done was just part of my job and servicing the customer.
Pros
Excellent Company with great Union benefits
Cons
Union bidding positions keep changing
Inside Freight Sales
Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 6, 2018
When I started this position it was a great job. Good base pay, good benefits, plus commision. The job slowly denigrated over time. Continually shrinking commissions and changing territories. The local management was great. The Department heads were located in Des Moines and over managed. They ran the customer service department and tried to run the sales department like customer service. In addition they moved a ton of inside jobs to the Philippines.
Pros
Initially good pay
Cons
Changed payment plan when we were making more money than the outside sales people.
Wasn’t a bad place to work.
Dock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maybrook NYJune 22, 2018
YRC was way too much walking for someone new to freight business. Management was amazing I enjoyed their efforts to keep you comfortable and encouraged. Overall expectations were too high and very long hours no real home life or say in schedule. You spend the first day or two off recovering. Staff moral was very poor for my taste 50/50 situation. Half of the supervisors were good people and then the other half completely terrible. Learned a lot from my period there but wouldn’t recommend if your not used to being up all day at work. With that said I have a great deal of respect for those who worked there they work hard.
Pros
Pay was great, benefits excellent, management great
Cons
Moral low, Work expectations too high, Hours too long.
Very high stress, and the upper management seemed to enjoy ramping this up.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILNovember 16, 2018
They believe that everyone is deaf, because any time there was a discussion, the management would start yelling and screaming. Management didn't care about family. My son was born and had problems, my manager made me take a vacation day when I needed off for his testing.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
high stress levels, long hours
For the money and benefits its not a bad place to work
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 8, 2018
The benefits are great, the hourly wage could be better being that this is a skilled trade with a lot of heavy and detailed maintenance. Like family work environment, more relaxed than a typical shop, none of the supervisors have experience or very much experience in the Heavy Duty Diesel industry.
Pros
benefits, paid breaks, union
Cons
management
Unfriendly and dishonest people at YRC and the union is not your friend here
General Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNAugust 22, 2018
The language used there was incredibly unprofessional and uncomfortable. Returned BOLs had substances on them from the drivers that were questionable at best. Current employees were very unwelcoming and not helpful at all. They sell the job as having these amazing benefits that turned out to cost me more than they did help.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Unfriendly with low pay and less than desirable benefits
Fast paced at times but for the most part it is laid back.
P&D Driver (Current Employee) –  Carlstadt, NJJune 6, 2018
The job actually isn't that bad, I've been at worst places. Of course you will be dealing with some knuckle heads, especially the guys that have been employed with YRC for a long time but you only have to deal with them in the morning when everyone is coming in for work. The other negative thing is YRC needs to invest in newer tractors because most of them are run down, and not safe. With a newer tractors my job would be sweet! Here's a quick run down in a typical day at YRC, most P&D drivers get in at 8:00am, you'll get your route, check your trailer, hook up your tractor then your out till about 6:30pm or later. I average about 5-7 deliveries and 4-6 pickups. You get two 15 minute breaks (paid) and one 30 minute break (unpaid). That's a quick run down.. believe me, it's not a stressful days work at this company.. good luck!!
Pros
Definitely get your 50+hrs a week, overtime after 8hrs, free health benefits
Cons
Very old equipment, don't get assigned tractors and the shop steward is a "little" Koo koo
worst work place
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sauk Village, ILJuly 13, 2018
pulling up to the job environment brings a gray cloudy day. the supervisors are rude, petty, disrespectful alone with upper management are racist and hateful. The company only care about the freight. they don't care about the employees. a day at that job is like doge ball. doc k workers (Vs) supervisors and bosses
Pros
free luch and yearly raise
Cons
hostile work environment
Conmpetitive environment
RSS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 13, 2018
Competitive environment due to the fact that employees are union. Ok management. Benefits were through the Teamsters union so they are outstanding,.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
area where it's located
Fair
Freight - inbound supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 26, 2018
YRC provides a safe work place. Salary is on the low side. On the job training. PTO time sick days and paid holidays. Company bonuses quarterly. Fair place to start a career.
Pros
On job training
Cons
Low pay scale
Truck driver local
Long term career
Good dispatch
Free safty vest
Nice location off freeway
New pay scale coming in jan.
Union back up
Pros
Overtime on sat
Cons
Need new trucks
great pay and benifits
OTR Driver; city p&d (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NC 27284November 27, 2018
great place to work great pay;benifits and a change at a good retirment. down side is not knowing when you moght be laided oor when your shift hours will change.
Pros
Pay; benifits; retirement
Cons
waiting for the other shoe to fall
High stress combative environment
Dock Supervisor/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 4, 2018
Management used threats and intimidation to force subordinates to improve performance. Threats were both of a professional and physical manner. The treatment was not of a professional and acceptable manner.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
High stress environment, managed with stress and intimidation
Goal oriented and efficiency driven terminals. All non-management employees are Union members.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 21, 2018
YRC is an excellent stepping stone company that offers limited promotional opportunities. The management benefits are mediocre.
Union is strong and tends to easily push back against management.
Love what I do but just a lot of bad rumors and we took a 15% pay cut 10 years ago and company still treats us like we are the problem
Road driver (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 19, 2018
Overall it is a great place to work because I have been here working on my 15th year. There is just a lot of stressful situations dealing with bad atmosphere.
Pros
Money and benefits good
Cons
15% pay cut and if your a new guy lots of waiting by the phone.
Enjoyed the work.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CO 80011September 23, 2018
This was a union job, Got along with all the other mechanics. Benefits were good, Got a little tense sometimes. Hardest part was the heat in summer and cold in winter.
Pros
Health insurance paid in full.
Cons
No pension
Nice place to work, good benefit
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 21, 2018
u will enjoy working there, quite nice people to get along with. Managers are nice. The benefits are excellent I can't stress about that more. The breaks are good.
Pros
Beneifits
Cons
No uniform
Operations Supervisor I (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 1, 2018
Was very good company to work for. Was always stable work and cared about the employees.The position was long hours but pretty well compensated. YRC is a leader in transportation industry and always tried to stay ahead of competition .
Pros
Good compensation.
Cons
Longs hours.
Great benefits
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 15, 2018
Union job with 100 percent benefits but am unable to have certain days off based on seniorit and no room for advancement in company. Lower pay than any other dock in the Salt Lake valley. Co workers are cool on the shifts besides the morning shift.
Pros
Union, benefits
Cons
Hours, days off, no lunch but 2 20 minute breaks in shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YRC Freight. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight