Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation Employee Reviews

Very dysfunctional operationally. Lots of 'work-arounds' and reminders to be flexible.
Physician (Former Employee) –  AlaskaNovember 29, 2018
Poor internal communication, total lack of work/life balance. The expectation is that people will stay for 2 years or less and the remaining employees will pick up the slack. Staff is used up and discarded routinely.
Would not recommend to anyone
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 27, 2018
YKHC is a very negative organization to work with and for. Workplace culture is very biased and issues are not dealt with appropriately. Sexual harassment is very common even from executive level management & HR is completely ineffective. Do a ton of research before EVER considering working here and do not believe promises that they make. There is a reason that they have a very high turnover and it is not the rural location.
Pros
Cons
Negative culture, not supportive of community
Professional at Its Finest
Administrative Assistant for Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 20, 2018
Starting payment while working here was very considerate. I loved the people that I worked with like working here. I developed a lot of professional friendships while working here.
Great people to work with
ED TECH (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 20, 2018
Easy to get along with everyone, it is always great to get with a group of employees with great humor and easy going, that is what makes others happy..
Pros
12 hour shifts, understanding supervisors, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay rate
Rural Alaksa
Well Child/Immunization Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 16, 2018
YKHC is a great place to work. Perfect for professional/personal balance. I absolutely love my job. If I could relocate my job closer to my family, I would stay.
Pros
great place for professional growth
Cons
location
Busy, Multitasking,
MEDICAL SUPPORT TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 3, 2018
Everyday is different from the last, there is no same day. For Assistant Case manager you have to be able to multi-task, answer phone phones (sometimes multiple lines), take messages, daily face to face contact with patients, charting and documenting, pulling in notes from other facilities, making appointments, looking ahead in Dr. appointment schedules, faxing.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
non stop work
Travel Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKAugust 29, 2018
clock in at 9 and leave at 6. book travel and answer phones all day and when we don't have anything to do we register but still answer phones cause we never know if those little planes will make it to the villages that ykhc fly to
Pros
free coffee
Cons
mean people
YKHC was a great place to work.
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJuly 26, 2018
My time at Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation was a great learning experience. The accounting department was knowledgeable and were eager to help the fellow accountants, if someone fell behind or went on vacation.
Fun, Easy-going enviroment
Public Relations Assistant-Summer Hire (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJuly 10, 2018
My time as a summer hire at YKHC was a great experience and helped me to find what I want to do as a future career aside from photography. I learned quite a bit working here.
Productive day
Community Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Aniak, AKJune 9, 2018
I've learned a lot with YKHC in the past 3 years. A lot of of the things I learned are like for a medical assistant but I was able to give injections and prescribe medications. Hardest part about the job was not able to have out-reach help for traumatic events like suicide, heart attacks and/or heart attacks
Pros
Helping my people
Cons
burnout
It was a good job.
Patient Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKApril 27, 2018
They hired me for a job I had no experience for and trained me. Hours were good plus overtime was available. Pay and benefits were excellent. My immediate supervisor was not very open to suggestions.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and hours.
Excellent Healthcare and employment
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKApril 3, 2018
Excellent advancement and training opportunities, able to transfer to another department if eligible and position is open. Great benefits to employee's and families.
Pros
Paid holidays and vacations
Ykhc
WIC Health Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKMarch 24, 2018
I loved working with clients and the WIC team.
I loved the management and our weekly meetings to make sure we were all on the same page. I would go back if i could.
I loved my job!
Registration Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 27, 2018
It was great working here! YKHC is a large organization, many moving parts. Very busy, pushing quality healthcare. Bethel, is a hard place to live for those who are not familiar. I experienced learning new job duties and how they relate to the financial revenue cycle.

The people were awesome.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
too cold, too dark, harsh weather conditions
Good company to work with rural American Indian communities
Epidemiologist (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKDecember 20, 2017
The town is landlocked
Learned a lot about local community's culture and their unique health issues
Very professional yet casual environment
Collaborated with state and national health experts
Pros
Good company to work for in small town
Cons
Cold weather and landlocked
Poor Management in Travel Department due to staff shortage
Hostel Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKDecember 13, 2017
I have worked varies shifts within the Hostel Department as a Hostel Technician for 5+ years. There was always something new to learn about and different approach would occur. The hardest part about the job was there was a lot of complaints regardless of how hard we worked, regardless of many hours we took, we dealt with different settings including the state troopers, police departments, etc due to child-contact environment. I enjoyed working within the department because I would be able to learn about cultures, values, and helping the need was rewarding.
Pros
Free internet browsing
Cons
staff shortages
fast paces and busy
Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 27, 2017
I love working in a fast pace job where there is always something to do all the time and with this job we has something to do everyday. I loved working with the people that were working there we all got along and worked well with each other. When we did not have a ride we had a coworker willing to pick us up so we can make it to work on time. I have learned a lot from them and had respect from them
Pros
free rides
Perfect place for advancecments
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 16, 2017
YKHC is a great company to work for and grow in, there are many opportunities for promotions and training. YKHC is growing quickly and its a great to gain experience and knowledge. I believe YKHC is a leading healthcare company that is setting standards for the industry.
Health Administration
Risk Management Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 15, 2017
Receiving, reviewing and processing paperwork. While employed with Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation, I learned to provide information of our department during New Employee Orientation. Management was very professional and assisted other for success. The culture of the organizations supported traditional values while serving Health Care to community and rual areas. I enjoyed working with YKHC because the excellent benefits along with the opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Wonderful caring place
Great place to live and work.
TDY Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 2, 2017
I enjoyed working with the native American Yupik people they appreciated all the efforts of medical professionals. I lived in Bethel for about 9 years and I would still be there if YKHC did not eliminate the night shift.
Pros
Friendly and professional staff
Cons
Management cares very little about appropriate staffing or patient care