Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation Employee Reviews

Very productive and fast paced
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKMarch 11, 2019
Daily clerical/administrative duties. Multi phone line access to Order parts, supplies for all work orders to be completed. Maintained daily reports for the purpose of keeping the hospital safe and OSHA compliance.
Great place to work.
Business Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 28, 2019
Every day I briefly spoke with both the Community Health Aide Program Director and Assistant Director. I prioritized my workday and assigned tasks to support staff members. The workplace was very friendly and productive. Every staff member believed in the importance of our work. All management and staff were very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Monthly potlucks. Staff recognition awards.
Cons
The building we worked in at the time was either very warm in the summer or cold in the winter.
My coworkers felt like family to me
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 18, 2019
I absolutely love working in this dental community. I hear laughter everyday both from patients and employees. I was always excited to go to work and left work feeling accomplished. I felt my voice was heard and that my work was greatly appreciated.
Security
Safety and Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 15, 2019
Good place to work get to know people from different places, only issue is intoxicated people become a irritable. Optional shifts as long as they are available.
consistent hours,
Dispensing Optician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 7, 2019
Monday thru Friday, 8 to 5
the job culture is in the middle of change and is improving thro out the campus. I had my own office and support from tech, coworkers was there however it can be very busy at time as well as slow depending on the season.
Stressful, and yet fun
Summer Hire (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 24, 2019
Only problem was being talked down to as if I didn't know what was happening because of my age. A small team in the position I worked in was fun and fast paced, not really sitting around doing nothing. At times though it was very stressful having to run around a lot if our staff was low. Definitely a teamwork kinda job.
Healthcare corporation aimed at achieving excellent health
HRIS & Compensation Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 3, 2019
YKHC is one of the best places to work at in Alaska. Period. An environment conducive of good motivation to show up everyday and work with a wonderful and very professional team.
Pros
Extremely generous PTO
Cons
High turnover
Very dysfunctional operationally. Lots of 'work-arounds' and reminders to be flexible.
Physician (Former Employee) –  AlaskaNovember 29, 2018
Poor internal communication, total lack of work/life balance. The expectation is that people will stay for 2 years or less and the remaining employees will pick up the slack. Staff is used up and discarded routinely.
Would not recommend to anyone
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 27, 2018
YKHC is a very negative organization to work with and for. Workplace culture is very biased and issues are not dealt with appropriately. Sexual harassment is very common even from executive level management & HR is completely ineffective. Do a ton of research before EVER considering working here and do not believe promises that they make. There is a reason that they have a very high turnover and it is not the rural location.
Pros
Cons
Negative culture, not supportive of community
Hardest part of the job.
Infection Prevention Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 7, 2018
Unfortunately YKHC has a handful of very good people who want to move the corporation forward but, a group of people who hold it back. Procedures were voted on by committee and then thrown out by one individual, more than once.

It is a corporation that is very under staffed. I feel because of the politics and lack of communication between departments, employees become frustrated and leave. I found that at times, I was responsible to manage duties of three positions at once without compensation.

I will say that I had room for advancement and they were good about my work schedule. I was paid on a level of the rest of the State of Alaska, but no increase with my obtaining a MSN.

In whole, YKHC is a place where individuals go for a season. When that season is over, it is time to move on.
Professional at Its Finest
Administrative Assistant for Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 20, 2018
Starting payment while working here was very considerate. I loved the people that I worked with like working here. I developed a lot of professional friendships while working here.
Great people to work with
ED TECH (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 20, 2018
Easy to get along with everyone, it is always great to get with a group of employees with great humor and easy going, that is what makes others happy..
Pros
12 hour shifts, understanding supervisors, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay rate
Rural Alaksa
Well Child/Immunization Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 16, 2018
YKHC is a great place to work. Perfect for professional/personal balance. I absolutely love my job. If I could relocate my job closer to my family, I would stay.
Pros
great place for professional growth
Cons
location
Busy, Multitasking,
MEDICAL SUPPORT TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 3, 2018
Everyday is different from the last, there is no same day. For Assistant Case manager you have to be able to multi-task, answer phone phones (sometimes multiple lines), take messages, daily face to face contact with patients, charting and documenting, pulling in notes from other facilities, making appointments, looking ahead in Dr. appointment schedules, faxing.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
non stop work
Travel Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKAugust 29, 2018
clock in at 9 and leave at 6. book travel and answer phones all day and when we don't have anything to do we register but still answer phones cause we never know if those little planes will make it to the villages that ykhc fly to
Pros
free coffee
Cons
mean people
YKHC was a great place to work.
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJuly 26, 2018
My time at Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation was a great learning experience. The accounting department was knowledgeable and were eager to help the fellow accountants, if someone fell behind or went on vacation.
Fun, Easy-going enviroment
Public Relations Assistant-Summer Hire (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJuly 10, 2018
My time as a summer hire at YKHC was a great experience and helped me to find what I want to do as a future career aside from photography. I learned quite a bit working here.
Productive day
Community Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Aniak, AKJune 9, 2018
I've learned a lot with YKHC in the past 3 years. A lot of of the things I learned are like for a medical assistant but I was able to give injections and prescribe medications. Hardest part about the job was not able to have out-reach help for traumatic events like suicide, heart attacks and/or heart attacks
Pros
Helping my people
Cons
burnout
It was a good job.
Patient Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKApril 27, 2018
They hired me for a job I had no experience for and trained me. Hours were good plus overtime was available. Pay and benefits were excellent. My immediate supervisor was not very open to suggestions.
Pros
Good pay, benefits and hours.
Excellent Healthcare and employment
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKApril 3, 2018
Excellent advancement and training opportunities, able to transfer to another department if eligible and position is open. Great benefits to employee's and families.
Pros
Paid holidays and vacations