YWCA Employee Reviews

Found 907 reviews matching the search See all 1,116 reviews
paid intern
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 21, 2019
it was wonderful working with people and helping elderly people make it on time to there doctor appointment's. Also taking blood and urine to the lab for test results and other things. Making sure you wash your had before and after you touch disinfected items.
Pros
make sure that you pick up phones and take messages
Cons
i had good 15 min breaks
Fun Program
Youth Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 19, 2019
The Youth Program at the YWCA is one of the best I have ever been with. I wish it hadn't stopped but it had to. It was fun and we got to meet a lot of new people.
The employees themselves work hard and care about the children, management no so much.
Child Care Provider/Teacher. (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOApril 18, 2019
The mangagement here is biased. They work you excessively and provide required breaks only when there is ample staff. If they are short you work your eight hours with no breaks. They show favoritism by letting those who they socialize with miss time when they require others to have a doctors note for everything. The children are treated as numbers. Any concerns that you have that you address management with are dismissed because they have to keep there numbers up so they can make money.
Pros
Free breakfast, Lunch and snack provided
Cons
Safety, No encouragement for jobs done well, Insurance is a joke
Poor management and administration
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 9, 2019
Manager was completely under qualified for position. Manager was not open to feedback on ways to improve program. Administration was not supportive of employees. Overworked, underpaid. If you speak up there are consequences and you are retaliated against. Not client centered at all- only care about making the agency money.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
horrible health insurance coverage, unclear expectations, poor communication, all about the money of the program and not client centered.
Great Place To Volunteer
Victim Advocate Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 8, 2019
Great Place to volunteer. Here is a list of some things you can do there. Support victims of domestic violence.
● Provide resources for victims needing assistance.
● Assist during group counseling with victims who have experienced various forms of distress as a
result of abuse.
● Maintain a high level of confidentiality and discretion.
Relaxed Environment, Doing Great Work
Children's Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDApril 8, 2019
A typical day at work is always busy and productive. I learned how to appropriately proceed with case management, along with doing parent assessments. The culture of the YWCA is very relaxed and collaborative. The hardest part of the job is having to terminate services with individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping assist those in need to find resources in the community.
Program Structure
Shelter Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 6, 2019
Program design had extreme intentions in an effort to provide housing to those in need but the structure of the program and staff job description was not enforced on staff.
Pros
Allowed for networking, social service and opportunity to give to others in need
Cons
Employment structure
Temporary job
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAApril 6, 2019
I was a lifeguard and only worked part-time as a way for some more income. I was treated fairly and my job expectations were always clear. A great summer job.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  YWCAApril 5, 2019
Family atmosphere
Care about employees
Senior friendly environment
Attempt to meet the needs of the community
No pool access due to flooding
Great place to work and discount for employees children to attend preschool
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIApril 4, 2019
Great atmosphere for employees and great preschool environment for children and their families. I really enjoyed working here, just wish rent was cheaper around Hilo, HI.
Moderate productivity fun place to work at family oriented
Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2019
Small office environment everyone got along well learned a lot so I was able to find a permanent job I could bring my child to work on the site daycare
Pros
Free Lunches at less twice week
Cons
Two 15 minutes break and on site daycare
This was a great Job for a student
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCApril 1, 2019
I worked as a lifeguard while studying for my degree and this job provided a flexible schedule. I was able to develop my leadership skills and work around and with people I enjoyed.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
temp work
Fun and Laid Back Job Atmosphere
Teacher/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IAMarch 31, 2019
As someone who really enjoys working with children, The YWCA was definitely a fit for me. You get to work with many different kids with many different personalities and it was fun getting to know all of them.

A typical day at work includes just talking and playing with the kids, getting them their meals, and putting the kids who stay past 8pm to bed. It's a fairly laid back job and a job that you can have fun at. The kids can be super fun and you can do fun things with them! It also helps that there isn't one person at The YWCA that I didn't like.

I will say that the hardest part of the job is dealing with temperamental kids or kids who don't listen. It takes a lot of patience and understanding to calm a child down, and it takes a lot of assertiveness and sense of authority to get children to follow the rules. These are skills that come with time and practice. The best part of the job was spending time with the children. You really learn to care about all of them and sometimes seeing the kids can brighten your day.
Pros
Dinner provided to employees, free YWCA membership
Cons
No raises
Volunteering
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73159March 30, 2019
I volunteered for there consignment shop, which is a wonderful place to help raise money for women and children in the housing and shelters and a great place to provide those women with the basics of starting their new lives. But, the shop's management does not communicate well with their volunteers or employees.
Pros
First look at new items, and flexible hours
Cons
poor communication by management
Very Productive and fun
Youth Mentor (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYMarch 25, 2019
I love working here because I love working with kids. The manager makes sure you are engaging with the kids and their development rather than just sitting there and watching them and that's what I like most. This is a place to grow into what you want to do. It isn't about passing time.
Supervision and training excelleent.
ARISE Coordinator - MFT Associate (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 20, 2019
The YWCA provided me with the skills to perform my job well. I always felt supported. My supervisor was extremely invested in my success. My supervisor led by example.
Pros
Great trauma informed training.
Cons
The complany as a whole seemed disjointed.
Wonderful place to work helping others as well as amazing co-workers and supervisors
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVMarch 20, 2019
Awesome place. Staff all works together to help clients with whatever they need. Flexible schedules if needed. Amazing management and great training and more training opportunities (out of town conferences and advocate retreat) all paid for by the company.
Pros
Opportunities to advance. Paid training.. typical raises.
Cons
No benefits. Mandatory weekly bi weekly and monthly meetings
what i learned
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 19, 2019
i learned to how to pick a baby up properly and hold a baby properly.
i learned how to change a baby's diaper.
i learned how to know what they need or want when needed.
Great summer job
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMarch 17, 2019
The place is really fun to work at and all the employees are fun and everyone has a great time the management is not good they really don't do anything when you bring a kid to them due to the fact that you can't do anything to kids they have to deal with them.
Pros
Easy job, fun
Cons
fast-paced, poor management
Productive and welcoming workplace
PCHP Early Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2019
YWCA is a great organization. I love that I can be an advocate for families and help those in need. It’s a fast pace working job with tons of paperwork.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Healthcare