Zale Corporation Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work
Customer Service/Sales/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 7, 2018
I have been in customer service most of my life and working for Zales was one of the best companies I have worked for. The management was very professional and friendly. The pay plus commission helped keep things among the employees competitive yet friendly. If I could go back and work for them again I definitely would.
Pros
A nice atmosphere to work in and company to work for.
Cons
access to upper management not very easy.
Zales Management
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 22, 2018
I have learned so much about jewelry, people, sales, communication and working with a team. The schedule is fairly flexible and the benefits are great. The downside is the pay for your sales team. They start at minimum wage for anyone without experience and it is very hard to keep people so you end up picking up the slack and basically live at work. If you can find people with good sales and jewelry experience and build a good team things will go much better for you.
Pros
competitive salary for management
Cons
work life balance is low
Good learning environment for competitive and collaborative work place
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 10, 2018
Zales really taught me how to hone in on my customer service skills and gave me a lot more experience not just with high end retail products but with learning how you can be competitive with your fellow employees while still being collaborative and supportive.
Pros
Salary plus commission, experience
Cons
Mall based location made for extremely slow unproductive days
It is a great place to work
Diamond Consultant -Silverdale Mall (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WANovember 30, 2018
My day at work consisted of opening and setting displays we would then take and sell to customers whenever they cam in also we would take and clean cases. Besides that we would do returns for customers. We would take time during our shift to do inventory and setting to items in cases. Other than that we would set up for diamond shows each month.
Pros
lunches
Cons
not any
Competitive work environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDSeptember 17, 2018
Very flexible working hours. Highly competitive work environment with commission based sales. Lots of sales goals and quotas to meet, need to be competitive and motivated to reach these goals. Difficulty getting time off during holidays as this is busiest time for sales. Upper management will encourage you to pressure customers into completing the sale or applying for store credit card
Pros
Colleagues, commission
Cons
Highly competitive, poor management
Great workplace culture
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Corporate office is state of the art. Onsite daycare and cafeteria. Beautiful campus. Productive and fun work environment. Management lacks leadership. Unrealistic expectations. Work/Life balance is poor. Compensation and benefits meet or exceed industry standards. Opportunities for advancement. Career was interesting and provided satisfaction and sense of accomplishment with recognition for job well done.
Very low morale and culture was toxic
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 6, 2018
Zales made bad business decisions years ago that forced closing of stores, laying off of seasoned and long term employees. They ultimately sold out to Sterling company after struggling and replacing employees because they couldn’t afford to pay them for long service.
Pros
There were no pros.
Cons
Loss of store locations, layoffs, mismanagement
Managment is full of the "Old Boys Club"
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 7, 2018
Pay raises were ridiculous for the amount of work expected. an 18 cent raise to go from a jewelry consultant to an assistant manager. No back up and little help when needed from the higher ups. Went months without having air condition being handled by the company, store was up to 90 inside. If we were short staffed, had to work but still clock out for lunch breaks.
Pros
Good hours.
Cons
Lunch Breaks, Management, Pay
Its Retail
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 10, 2018
Typical day is an 8-10hr shift in non holiday hours. I learned how to become a leader and develop a sales team in my management career with Zales. Upper management is very demanding. Competitive. If your not used to being on your feet this is not hte place for you. Seeing smiles on peoples faces
inconsistent across the board
Jewelry Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 6, 2018
went from have 35 hours/week to having 7 hours/week.

coworkers by themselves were ok people but together had a very cliquey attitude

was told multiple different things by multiple different people about the way commissions were handled
Pros
lots of down time
Cons
inconsistent hours
Individualized Shows
PRIVATE COLLECTIONS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 29, 2018
Set up $1 million jewelry shows, traveling daily through Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York. I loved the job, for its individuality, daily travel, setting up my own schedules and contacts, and making the customers/guests happy with their purchases. I worked 6 days per week, 14 hours per day, and loved every minute of it!
Pros
Traveling, jewelry, customer interaction
Cons
6 day, 14 hour day work weeks
Just a decent job
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJune 22, 2018
Hard work doesn't really matter as long as you become friendly with the managers. That's really the key to advancement. They also consider sales goals when it comes to promotions or raises, but making your goals does not mean you will work an adequate amount of hours. Part timers will sometimes get as low as 8 hours a week. Also the commission rate is very low, UNLESS you sell a ridiculous, almost unachievable amount or the store makes team bonus. All benefits are only for full timers. Which means no insurance or PTO, or really anything for part timers. Managers don't do much but hold "meetings" on the phones and travel every couple of weeks for business trips, while they collect multiple bonuses for everyone elses hard work.
This company has messed up priorities
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 22, 2018
They Push for sales which is fine if you could actually spend the time on the floor to get them, instead they constantly want you on the phone telemarketing. Also, they do not recognize the time off the sales floor that goes into checking in new merchandise, checking in and sending out repairs. They seem to promote cheaters and lairs because they steal commissions in order to achieve their weekly and monthly sales goals!
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
company values and work structure sucks
Sales Consultant
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 27, 2018
Daily project and sales routine, learning thru training and store manager and associates, big challenge dealing with previous long working associates. Hardest part dealing with the commission system and the most enjoyable part was building relations with new people and customers.
It waas a good place to work, but some management wasn't so good.
QA Inspector (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 4, 2018
Good people to work with, great manager. Inspected lots of jewelry diamonds, colored stones, assayed gold jewelry for gold content in the alloy. Found laser drilled diamonds, stones that were CZ and not diamonds.
jewelry consultant
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dickson City, PAOctober 4, 2018
I like that I was able to meet with new people. I enjoyed decision making on event planning for my customers such as Birthdays, holidays, engagements, first communions, even jewelry for pets.
Pros
being apart of customers memomorable moments.
Cons
short breaks
It was good while it lasted
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 12, 2018
I had the privilege of working under some awesome management, but I've heard the horror stories from other stores. It's a pretty typical retail position, so expect to be on your feet a lot. The goals aren't so high that they're unattainable, and it's fun to sell jewelry. All in all, it was a pleasant work experience, but it wasn't the most satisfying job.
Pros
Great teams, beautiful pieces
Cons
Not as flexible as private jewelers
Fast paced work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 5, 2018
I worked for the company for about 2 years in 2 different locations, across 2 states. I started out as a part time sales associate in rochester, ny. I moved to Phoenix AZ, and became and assistant manager. I was promoted very quickly and given all the tools to grow and advance my career.
Jewlery Consultant
Jewlery Retail Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 22, 2018
It was very relaxed, even on busy days. If there was something you did not know, there was always a team member ready to answer questions. I was the only new employee as everyone there worked for zales for 5+ years.
Pros
No stress
Cons
Too slow
I liked the fun atmosphere and dealing with customers.
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSSeptember 11, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Zales. I liked working with the people and I also enjoyed working with jewelry. It was fun yet professional. I would still be doing it if the store hadn't closed.
Pros
Discount
Cons
must work late evenings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zale Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about