Zerbe Retirement Community

Working at Zerbe Retirement Community: 44 Reviews

United States44 reviews

residentfacilityfriendlycarestafffamilyteamplace

Wonderful Home for the residents, too far for me.

So sorry I could not continue employment. Location just too far, going home from night shift, rush hour traffic to phila, 2 hours. Lovely facility, great staff, alot of agency like every place , thank heavens for any staff these days, but for the short time there, good team, very committed, and caring of the residents, beautiful location, residents and staff very fortunate to be able to live and work in such a beautiful part of PA. Such a privilege to have been able to spend even a minute there, I hope they will be able to hold on, with so many nsg homes closing all over due to staffing concerns, ,I know they certainly will try. Thank you to adm. For trying to make it work for me, I wish you the best.

Med Tech/CNA

I’ve worked in the personal care Harvest view unit for a while. The pay starts at $13.00 for day shift, $16 for second & $14.59 for third. As a med tech you are getting paid the same as dietary regardless of your certifications/qualifications. Always short staffed. No growth unless you become a Nurse. The PTO is literally 3 for every paid period for 5 years. Which is terrible! Staff started walking out & quitting due to the lack of care management has for their staff. I stayed because I felt bad for the residents. They don’t deserve the incompetency that goes on in that unit. Nothing is organized unless the day shift staff takes care of it which they don’t get paid enough to do management work. You beg for help from HR & it goes no where. I enjoyed working with some of the staff n seeing the residents but I couldn’t do it anymore. I was doing a lot n was the lowest paid med tech there. On top of that we had to handle administrative things which again we didn’t get paid for. We you get an interview, ask why so many people quit the position & you’ll see their reaction.

Cons

Short staff, People walking out & quitting

Zerbe Retirement Community insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Family oriented and resident focused team. Always willing to listen to suggestions from staff and treat their employees with respect and dignity.

I am a social worker at the facility and even though their are days that are more stressful than others in this line of work, I would not change it for anything. I am truly proud of what I am able to contribute to the team and the residents.

Pros

great team work and resident focused care

Cons

it is what you make of it

Family like atmosphere

I started at Zerbes and immediately felt like I was home. This skilled nursing facility has some of the best employees to care for their residents. I enjoy going to work every day. The mission of the facility is resident focused. We all strive to assure the resident’s have great care and the best quality of life that they deserve. I have never been so proud to help lead such a great team.I hope our Zerbe team continues to grow in the new year.

Pros

Family like atmosphere, caring staff, amazing residents

Loved it !

I really cherished my time at Zerbe ! Loved my co workers ! You are treated like family ! Even threw me and my wife a baby shower! I miss it terribly if I hadn’t moved away I’d still be there !

Pros

Good pay overtime opportunities great teamwork

Cons

No place is perfect

Home like environment

I finally feel like I am at a place I can call home. Everyone is friendly. From administration to maintenance. The culture is wonderful and my co-workers feel like family. I love it here.

Pros

Benefits, Pto

September 20, 2021
Welcome to the Zerbe Team! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are so glad you have found a home and that Zerbe Retirement Community is the right fit for you. We wish you great success and a long tenure here.

This work environment feels like home

I am so excited to be part of a company that feels like family. Everyone is friendly! It is refreshing to not be under a large corporate umbrella. This facility/ and their owners listens to their employees and truly care.The residents are amazing. I love being able to see and care for them. It is rewarding to go to work and feel like you are making a difference. I look forward to the many years ahead of working at Zerbe Sisters!

Pros

Great benefits, great PTO, small family owned company

An amazing work environment

I have worked in multiple healthcare settings and i have never felt like i “belonged” this company makes you feel at home everyday when you walk in the door. Staff is always friendly and caring. If you have a true concern you don’t have to feel afraid to speak up. They listen and they are willing to change things as necessary. I have recently left this company for my own personal reasons and i find myself missing them everyday! It is a truly remarkable place to work and i hope one day i can return to them. You will not go wrong if you chose to work with this amazing caring company. It’s great for not just employees but residents as well!

Pros

Kind and caring positive atmosphere.

Cons

For me it is distance but that is no ones problem but my own 🙂

April 26, 2021
Zerbe Retirement Community wants to thank you for taking the time to write us such a positive review. We are so glad to hear you found the atmosphere friendly and open. We try very hard to make it that way, so it is rewarding to hear that it is felt by our employees. We wish you the best wherever life takes you, but hope you will one day come back and join our amazing team! We will share your comments. Thank you again!

I've worked in other homes where it is obvious they're just trying to make a buck. Zerbe obviously cares about its residents and high-quality care is expected of you.Overall a good place to work.

Pros

Decent pay, close-knit staff

Cons

No room for advancement, no advancing education program

April 19, 2021
Zerbe Retirement Community thanks you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback about your time working with us. We do our best to make sure that the atmosphere in our community is positive and friendly for all of our employees, while focusing on the residents first. Thank you for all of your hard work and contributions to the Zerbe team!

Team work for the same goal

It was an organized facility, everyone polite, and always working toward giving the best care to the residents.Management staff eager to help on the floor when need.

Pros

All three shifts were treated the same

Cons

Working every other other weekend, but that is everywhere

Great family-oriented team

Zerbe is the best place I have worked since becoming a social worker. I feel that our team acts in the best interest of the resident and truly shine in all that they do. I also feel supported if there is ever a concern or topic I am unsure of, and always appreciate any feedback or perspective from my co-workers when necessary.

March 8, 2021
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We do work hard to create a collaborative, team atmosphere seeking to do what is best for our residents. We are grateful you feel and recognize the support we try to give our employees. Thank you for your part on the team!

Lots of shift choices

I love that their are choices if one shift doesn’t work than their are other shifts you can switch around to . A lot of my co workers are not friendly they walk right pass you .

Pros

Every weekend off

Cons

Not a friendly environment

Horrible Management and HR

The facility itself is quaint and the residents amazing. Upper management is horrible. The HR Director is a racist and one of the most judgmental person I've ever encountered. Unfortunately, the owners don't want anything to do with the day to day operations and leave incompetent people to run the business. Drama filled facility. Benefits very expensive.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Management, benefits

Poor management, negative culture

Tense environment with an unwillingness to change for the better. HR is untrained and hires anyone that fills out an application. Management is poor and turnover is high. Pay is not competitive and benefits are horrible. No work life balance as they don't have enough help and are always asking you to work more.

Pros

Small facility

Cons

benefits and pay

February 23, 2021
It has been a busy time in healthcare navigating through COVID and we are just now seeing your post. We wanted you to know the managers of each department do their own hiring. HR helps the candidates with the extensive onboarding process required in healthcare to try and make it as easy as possible. We search high and low and offered new benefits this year, medical with no copays! Our nursing positions are almost completely full, which we are so excited about considering there is a nationwide nursing deficit. We are continuously seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our residents, so your feedback is very helpful.

Cna

● Work-life balanceThe Best company I ever worked for hands down.!● Pay & benefitsPay is great● ManagementThey're loving and caring about their staff. Definitely a team who works and cares for residents.● OverallI loved working at zerbe sisters. My coworkers were the best! Pay was great and my boss was very understanding when it came to life issues. 5 stars all around.

well

i worked there for a while and all in all it was a great place to work had great teamwork and really nice nurses alot of places dont have nice nurses other places have in tilted nures and for an aide its nice to be treated with respect

Cool

A great place to work love working there was jus to far of a drive for me every morning teamwork is amazing best place to work as a cna nurse s also help cna as much as possible i nit sure 2at else to say ...... ... . ....

September 23, 2019
Thank you for your positive feedback, especially in regards to teamwork. It is great to hear that working at Zerbe was a good fit for you. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with the team.

This place is a roller coaster ride and I want off

I left work almost every day frustrated feeling defeated. The best part of this job is your co workers the worst part is everything else. Fire people all the time for crazy stuff

September 9, 2019
We recognize that the work can be demanding and work in long-term care is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as clear as possible during both employee interviews and training. We are constantly seeking to improve the experience for our employees while they are here with us. We will share these comments internally. Thank you.

I was the Director of Nursing at the facility for 4 years. Family owned and operated, CEO wonderful to work with.

The organization is wonderful, the culture and values are practiced everyday and continually evaluated to ensure the Mission of the organization is consistently mirrored through the care and services that are provided.

August 26, 2019
Zerbe Retirement Community thanks you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback about your time working with us. We do our best to make sure that the atmosphere in our community is safe, fun and inviting for all of our employees. Your review is appreciated!

Not a bad place to work

Pretty good team of coworkers, work together for the most part. Residents are treated with dignity, Bad part is some of the LPNs are lazy as heck! Passing a tray or handing someone a cup of water is not beyond their scope of practice. Overall an enjoyable place to work, you have to like to work and avoid on the job drama though. Do your 8 and go home..

August 22, 2019
On behalf of Zerbe Retirement Community we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience thus far. Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with our team. We wish you the best of luck during your time with us!

Great people and company

This is a friendly place to work and for the most part you are given free reign to use your own professional judgment. Hard work and team work are expected. Everyone is friendly and courteous to the other employees and to the residents. We were also deficiency free during our last DOH survey in June 2019. Overall, I would recommend working here.

Common questions about Zerbe Retirement Community

Answered by current and former employees at Zerbe Retirement Community

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zerbe Retirement Community. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about Zerbe Retirement Community in popular locations

• Zerbe Retirement Community
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?