Zippo Manufacturing Company Employee Reviews

fast paced, always busy, many different departments, awesome benefits
Case Fabricator/ Shipping (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAOctober 3, 2017
Got laid off when the economy tanked in 2008, enjoyed my 20 years there, great people to work with, always busy, made many friends in my years there and had several different supervisors over the time I was there and most all were a pleasure to work for.
Nice company to work for
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Congress st. Bradford paAugust 15, 2017
I have worked for zippo manufacturing co for almost 30 years. I definitely enjoy my day to day challenges. I take a lot of pride in making a product that our customers would appreciate. I want to meet and exceed customer expectations!
Pros
Dependable
Cons
None! I have a great job.
overall a good job
Tool and Die Maker, Tool Room Production Support (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAJuly 13, 2017
A/C tool room, ice water and ice machines HR doesn't know what is going on,. Engineering Dept has no idea so prints suffer. Q/C unreasonable at times
Pros
good pay, reasonable insurance costs
Cons
not much vacation, vacation scheduled for you, forced to take vacation in weekly lumps
productive
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAMay 19, 2017
Zippo is a great company to work for but they lay people off a lot. The overall atmospere is clean and comfortable. The people you work with are friendly and helpful.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
you have to go through a temp service
Lacking Stability
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAMay 6, 2017
Zippo is a great place to work but there were many times where I worried about the security of my position. They also hire through a temp agency and it takes around 1-2 years before they will invest in hiring an employee on full time. Supervisors are great and are willing to help.
Family Oriented Company
Licensing Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAApril 25, 2017
Zippo was truly a family oriented company with an owner that cared for his employees. New challenges everyday and the bonuses were earned monthly. Work days were consisted of meeting customers from all over the world, designing new products and working with famous individuals. It was a fast paced environment but manageable. Zippo was a learning experience everyday with new challenges.
Pros
Benefit package was amazing and the company give back was remarkable.
Cons
None at this time
Family atmosphere
Hand buffer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAApril 24, 2017
I loved my job and wish i could go back. My parents both worked there when i was growing up and there are still many people that work there that i have known for many years.
Great Place to work
Color Imaging operator (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAApril 5, 2017
pays really well when you can make full time, great benefits, and gain sharing when the company does well. you don't get very much vacation time until you've been there at least 10 years, you get 1 week after a year, but you have to use it during one of there many "shut downs" they do through out the year, after 5 years you get another week but once again you have to use it for shutdowns, the supervisors are worthless, they know nothing, especially about the department they are running.
Pros
pay, benfits, gain sharing
Cons
vacation time, managment
Great Employer
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAMarch 27, 2017
I am overall extremely satisfied with Zippo. No better place to work in the area! Benefits are tough to beat. Management cares for its employees and work with us to meet our needs whenever possible.
Pros
Pay, benefits, hours
Cons
hard on the body
American Icon Company in business since 1932
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Florida, Georgia, Alabama territorySeptember 7, 2016
Zippo is located in Bradford, PA and is a privately held company best known for manufacturing lighters and other metal products for over 84 years. While ongoing external pressures on cigarette smoking, and more recently the rise of vapor and E-cig segments of the market, have challenged the lighter business worldwide, Zippo has not only survived but thrived in recent years netting some of their best years in the history of the company. This success can be traced back to years of attention to efficiencies and profitability, diversification into non lighter segments of the business, and acquisition of competitors.

As for my personal experience, I was an independent contractor and not an employee. Therefore, I did not have direct compensation or benefits to comment on and strictly worked on commission. Over my 20 year career, I was not privy to most of the companies inner workings and only saw employees or managers on occasion at trade shows, in the field, or annual sales meetings. I enjoyed two decades of working with Zippo and the most enjoyable aspect was being an independent contractor and working on my own to generate 50 million dollars in net sales for the company. I also enjoyed utilizing an annual marketing budget to create new and exciting ways to build the brand and drive sales in my 3 state territory with an added highlight being the pioneering of a very successful regional event marketing program which grew to national in scope and has continued to grow to be a successful global program for Zippo, now called "Zippo Encore".
Pros
Cool Iconic American made products to sell
Cons
Recent cannibalization of existing channels of distribution due to direct to consumer sales online
Final Inspector
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAAugust 21, 2016
I loved my job at Zippo. I miss working and expesially seeing the people everyday. I was a good worker and would do all jobs that were asked of me.....
Pros
Gain sharing
Cons
Paint fumes
Conservative but understanding workplace.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAJuly 11, 2016
They take care of their employees. Conservative environment, but they are flexible. They're growing and offer a lot of options.
Alright Place to Work
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAMarch 23, 2016
No real long hours to speak.
There are some really good people and most get along well.
Benefits are fair advancement seems to be limited. Not many people leave the company.
Zippo Manufacturing Company
International Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PASeptember 27, 2015
ZMC is a company that takes care of its employees through training, support, and a family comes first attitude.
I have personally grown while working at ZMC and attribute this to the benefits of continued education, opportunities, and respect by the management to utilize my skills and use the best judgement in making decisions.
The Zippo family not only encompasses the team at Head Quarters but throughout the 160+ countries where the Zippo products are sold.

Having the opportunity to work and travel throughout the world has allowed me to visit parts of the world I never expected to see or experience. Working with the key customers in these specific regions was the best part of international travel.

No two days are the same which allows for continuous excitement and challenges but working with an incredible team to obtain the goals always kept the job challenging and energizing.
Pros
Support to participate in community activities, Easter candy, Autumn cider/donuts, Thanksgiving turkeys, Christmas gift, company gainshare program, and exciting Brand.
Cons
Long hours with travel.
Factory life is not for me.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAMarch 27, 2014
Depending on what department you were in as to how your day was scheduled. When I was wicking I sat for 8 hours and manually put the wicks in each lighter. When I cleaned and boxed, I did just that, c leaned each lighter and then put in box as called for for the product. The hardest part was making your numbers for the day, for each job was different. I loved being able to sit and talk while I worked.
Pros
Excellant health coverage, pay was very good
Cons
making rate so as to make the money
Productive, fast paces
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAMarch 11, 2014
very fast paced enviroment have to work well with your hands. hand and eye coordination is a must.
very productive atmosphere and very good people to work for
laborer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAMay 13, 2013
I worked various departments through my time at Zippo. I worked all of the overtime that I could get as I am very much the type of person that loves the over time. There wasn't really anything about the job that was hard to handle.
Pros
wonderful place to work
Cons
going through the lay offs
Average
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  401 Congress Street Ext., Bradford, PAMay 7, 2013
A typical day at work is a morning meeting with employees. Assignments are given and followed up by 3 tours through the department throughout the day to check production numbers & clear any obstacles. The biggest issue for supervisors is people, as it is with any manufacturing manager. Meetings monopolize your time and prevent you from taking too much time with your people. Zippo is a family-owned business and the President and owner are truly incredible people. If the business was always run the way they preferred, it would be a fantastic place to work. It's still not a bad place to work but it is stressful. The managers rarely work as part of the team and, generally, look out for their own interests at the expense of their peers & subordinates. The Operations division employs "management by intimidation." The "yes" men are the ones promoted. For that reason, none of the lower level supervisors trust each other or are willing to work together well for fear of missing their opportunity by helping someone else look good. In fact, they'll go out of their way to make fellow employees look bad. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the highly charged political environment between divisions, especially with the engineering and HR departments. Their management practices are inconsistent as they relate to their own rulebook and can change dramatically depending on the personnel involved. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people on the floor, especially when a job was done well. The business is truly kept alive by the efforts of the people on the production  more... floor and in the sales & marketing personnel.   less
Zippo is just an all around great place to work
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PADecember 12, 2012
I started at Zippo working evenings and bid on jobs to eventually recieve a daytime position. The management and co-workers were great and I would have stayed; however, I had been part of a major lay-off there with no call back.
Pros
the work and the people were outstanding
Cons
there was not much security in long term employment
Productive company with family values
Welder Operator (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAApril 12, 2012
My day begin by ensuring the welder is in operational order and parts are available to begin. Once those are complete I would start the machine and begin inspecting and packing finished parts for further work. Throughtout the day I would be required to perform maintenance on the machine, as well as, keep detailed records.