Zones, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great sales training program in an otherwise negative work environment.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 14, 2018
Not a lot that I can say in a positive light outside of its strong and rigorous sales training program. That is by far the biggest highlight of this company and the most beneficial to its employees. Outside of the skill sets they teach to their mostly entry level employees, the overall business structure and toxic micro management culture is evident in one of the worst employee retention rates I’ve ever seen.
Good collaboration within the departments
Enterprise Client Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 22, 2018
Zones has worked very hard over the past couple years to really encourage multiple departments to engage with each other, work with each other towards the same goal.

HR is focusing on work place culture to ensure Zones is up to par with like business.
Pros
Vendor fairs, flexible schedules
Cons
Costly healthcare benefits
Poor Executive Culture
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAOctober 12, 2018
Overall a decent place to work. My immediate Manager was great and shielded the team from a lot of non sense that happened at the executive level. The culture from the TOP down needs to improve dramatically, especially on the nfrastructure side (a service company recently acquired by Zones.)
The Worst
Configuration Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  USAJune 26, 2018
Not a lot of good things to say. My fellow co-workers(grunts) are pretty cool peeps. Other than that it sucks. This company wants you to work yourself to the bone AND KEEP GOING!! No work life balance here, management doesn't even know the term. Our manager told us in a group huddle that he doesn't care if we have families, he doesn't care if we miss dinners and time with family. He said he doesn't want to hear it if we cant get our stuff done if we are not willing to put in the OT to get it done. Wow what a way to motivate. Oh yeah and this place will micro manage just about every aspect of your daily tasks.
Pros
they are not fake
Cons
they are not fake
it was very fun at first then it deteriated to not fun.
SENIOR CORPORATE ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2018
Working at Zones was extremely fun and I loved it when I started there in 2006. The company just started the Portland office and I was in the 3rd month pick.
It changed from a friendly workplace to a tirade of political advancement and sales pressure events as we grew.
It soon became not fun. I left after 12 years.
At the beginning there were great perks from the vendors, IBM, HP, Cisco, Dell, etc., etc., etc..
After about 6 years those were stopped by Zones. Not sure why. But it was depressing for the employees. We were no longer going on white water rapid rides, sky diving, glider plane trips, Cruises to Mexico, etc., etc..
I and many of my colleagues lost interest and left.
Incompetences rules all
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 31, 2018
I was the only copywriter who knew anything about computers and yet I got paid less than the one who wrote “630GB of raw processing power”; GB is a unit of storage space, servers do not need immense processing power, and the performance of a CPU, the brain of the computer, is measured in GHz (non-super computers, that is).

Also the managers similarly had no computer knowledge because they approved that headline; got rid of the practice of adding keywords to each product, making them all but invisible to the database and therefore to both salespeople and customers; promoted their fellow ex-jocks even though they were unqualified; and refused to do their jobs.

Zones management kept creating unnecessary vp and director positions while ignoring important duties like database management and training ignorant employees. I actually tried to initiate training sessions to resolve the lack of basic computer knowledge and to reinstitute keywords but was ignored and eventually got fired for trying correct a mistake that was costing the company thousands of dollars per month.

That this company breaks even is because they bought a profitable company and includes its revenue as part of Zones’ total income, not from adequate management and business practices.
Pros
Cons
Poor, incompetent management from top to bottom.
Horrible place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 26, 2018
Not sure where to start. This company is extremely dysfunctional at all levels with backstabbing and throwing people under the bus being the norm. The company is trying to transform and they made some strides but keep getting pushed beyond their job scope. The Director and VPs run the place like tyrants and are as rude as can be. Employees are treated like garbage and yelled at for minimal issues. Why anyone would put up with this awful unprofessional treatment is beyond me. You will not learn anything here it is a place that you fight fires and don’t learn a thing. DO NOT WORK HERE you can do better. Read the reviews they are true and the positive ones are paid for by Zones HR which is a pathetic spineless department that you could never trust. Too many Directors and VPs who have nothing to do but create foolish reports to update the senior management team. Zones acquired a company in Pakistan so that they could save money and get rid of the company in India since clearly they were overpaid. Everyone in support roles has a Pakistan counterpart so basically most people are training their replacements. Many people knows this and are actively looking for other jobs as they know that job security is non existent. If you somehow decide to work at Zones watch out for your peers they will throw you under the bus to advance their careers. Bottom line this place is beyond saving I see it being sold or simply failing as it is a terrible place to work.
Cons
I mean the quarterly lunches were nice...
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJuly 30, 2018
But overall stay away from this company. Management love to point fingers instead of coming together to fix whatever issue that came about. The training was really on the go & whenever you had a unique question about how to do your job or a unique task they directed you to the hand booklet AS IF that equates to actually physically doing it.

So many unnecessary procedures & paper being wasted for data keeping purposes that could simply be fixed if they had RF scanners. Literally if one item was accidentally put into a location next to where it's supposed to be, you'll spend weeks looking for it and creating endless excel sheets trying to find the shortage. Whereas if you had a scanner, it will tell you where that item is exactly even if it's in the wrong location. It's like that company is scared to adapt to be more productive and less wasteful.

Only great thing about the place is that there are some lovely co-workers that make it worth coming in everyday. Not to mention the hour lunches & quarterly lunches. But this company has a boat load of issues. There's really no job security here. One week you're there and the next they're letting you go because they want someone that they can "plug & play" even though their training is horrendous.
Pros
Quarterly lunches
Cons
Bad Management, No job Security, Too many unnecessary procedures to do job
terrible company
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 30, 2018
This place is disorganize. They lure you in thinking you will have a stable schedule but then later on they imposed there scheduling method by threatening your job security . You will have change your job schedule every three months. The schedule change is very drastic.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Unorganized
Great place to learn IT and Sales
PPM Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 31, 2018
The structure of the sales department and training is strong. The support staff are intelligent and willing to help. If leadership would allow the support staff more freedom to drive sales, the company would be in a better position for success.
Pros
Great training department, and customer events
Cons
Does not pay competitively
Its not worth it
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 10, 2019
Don’t even waste your time, management sucks, you don’t get holiday pay, they don’t care about you or your circumstances, they lie and decieve to get you in. It’s just not even worth it.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Management sucks
High expectations, but lacking personal development and training
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 22, 2018
I was put into the mix knowing that previous management was gone. It was a time of turmoil and a chance to really change things for the better. I was really looking forward to the challenge. My second week there it was announced my boss was being let go. Already, it was too busy for him to give me proper training. Upper management did attempt to help by sending others in, but overall the training on the computer systems and expectations was lacking. Finally after my third month in I was sent to Chicago for advanced training. Expectations were very high and we often worked Saturdays and hours over what was anticipated. The employees were mostly temps, many which didn't care. The systems this technological advanced company utilize are back in the 90s leading to too many human errors. It seems they really tried to correct, but in the end failed. I was let go after all my best attempts to succeed. Despite the warehouse being on an upward trend of success (better than their other warehouses) they decided that I wasn't seen as a leader. I don't blame it all on them, but not all the blame was to be placed on myself as well. Be wary here. You are expendable.
No clear line of direction
Public Sector (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2018
Weak support for sales organization. Lack of competent management. Not increasing sales staff. Different departments have trouble communicating. Constant change in leadership.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
They can't keep great co-workers
Stressful environment with always changing managers and processes
Software Operations Support (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 4, 2018
In the beginning it was good, there were always perks to going to work every day, free pastries on some days of the week, random snack carts throughout the building, support staff was welcomed to the gatherings that included the vendors that the company worked with.

When i was laid off, at that point there were no perks or positives to going to work every day, overloaded at work, inexperienced employees with little to no training with upper management who didn't give a care about support, only how they can make more of the almighty dollar.
Pros
Decent benefits and PTO policy
Cons
overloading the support employees with work
Okay
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2018
Management took a turn for the worst, more dialing than strategy involved. Caseworkers seemed to demolish progress and projects rather than assist completion.
I have nothing positive to say
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 30, 2018
This company does not value its employees.
Free food availble at trainings
high turnover

this company does have great partners to work with

there is a large break room
Pros
free food
Cons
management and compensation
Entry level Integration Lab Technician
Integration Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILFebruary 12, 2018
5% IT 95% Re-Packaging.
Good starter job for high school or college graduates pursuing IT occupation. Turn over rate is high. Temp turn over rate even higher. Work force is increased or decreased at will based on sales and work load.
Documented standard operating procedures are poor therefore information is tribal. New employees must shadow an existing employee to learn as much as possible. Smoke breaks and break times are unsupervised. Be prepared to repeat yourself because everyone has headphones or earbuds, as work is repetitive.
Get in, do your job, get paid, get out..
Pros
They like to feed you. Work unsupervised.
Cons
No benefits. No advancement.
Great entry level position.
Integration Technician (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 22, 2018
Great job if you’re trying to get into tech. You are the company “gopher”. Their is no set job just a bunch of temps waiting around on what to do weather it’s moving pallets in the warehouse or imaging PCs. Management is down right terrible. I was told to look busy most of the time. They over hire and the turn over rate is high. Again, management is terrible. Pretty sure they picked this guy out of a hat.
High school??
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMay 18, 2018
Zones is really good about talking the talk on how they have a business full of professional leaders. But what they don't do is make sure management walks the walk. Upper management does not hold lower management accountable for their actions, nor do they make sure it is a safe place for members and support groups to share their ideas and opinions without being criticized or reprimanded . Hostile work environments even when reported to HR are overlooked and the team member who reports it is actually disciplined.

Own your Zone... Just don't express it unless it matches up with what management wants
Pros
Other team members Medical Dental paid time off
Cons
Too many cliques in management that lack maturity
Nice first time job for students entering workforce/IT Sales
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2018
Management has no clue what they are doing. A typical good 'ol boys culture. Super low paying and have an '80's style micromanagement bent. All sales management are more concerned about managing up rather than managing their direct reports or even understanding what their direct reports do.
Pros
None/would not recommend to anyone but a first timer
Cons
Low paying/worst benefits in the industry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zones, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight