Zones, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work.
Account Executive, Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 15, 2018
Productive and fun place to work, management was very supportive and showed that in their everyday interactions with you and the team.
Apprreciated the onsite vendor training.
Good place to obtain sales acumen
Senior Account Executive/Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 11, 2018
Zones provides quite a bit of training, as well as ongoing informational training for various products and manufacturers. There is opportunity to grow your paycheck and make a living wage.
Pros
vendor provided food periodically; nice office environment
Cons
Could be more customer service focused
it was very fun at first then it deteriated to not fun.
SENIOR CORPORATE ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2018
Working at Zones was extremely fun and I loved it when I started there in 2006. The company just started the Portland office and I was in the 3rd month pick.
It changed from a friendly workplace to a tirade of political advancement and sales pressure events as we grew.
It soon became not fun. I left after 12 years.
At the beginning there were great perks from the vendors, IBM, HP, Cisco, Dell, etc., etc., etc..
After about 6 years those were stopped by Zones. Not sure why. But it was depressing for the employees. We were no longer going on white water rapid rides, sky diving, glider plane trips, Cruises to Mexico, etc., etc..
I and many of my colleagues lost interest and left.
Run
AE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 25, 2018
It would take many pages and a full essay to cover the extent of asinine things I witnessed working for this company.

Unless you are a recent college grad getting experience under your belt, do not work here. It's an insulting company
Pros
Cons
The mangers looked like they were hired from a college campus
Learned a lot in this role and would recommend for real-life experience
Service Desk Analyst IBM Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 14, 2018
I worked on main-frame from NYS for IBM and learned how to use New York State mainframes to help New York State troopers and New York State Gaming officials and New York City Narcotics Detectives. If you're looking for a role that is very impactful and at the same time challenging this is a good position to start in.
Pros
Impactful, Overnight shifts to learn in, On the job work, Impactful
Great sales training program in an otherwise negative work environment.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 14, 2018
Not a lot that I can say in a positive light outside of its strong and rigorous sales training program. That is by far the biggest highlight of this company and the most beneficial to its employees. Outside of the skill sets they teach to their mostly entry level employees, the overall business structure and toxic micro management culture is evident in one of the worst employee retention rates I’ve ever seen.
Incompetences rules all
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 31, 2018
I was the only copywriter who knew anything about computers and yet I got paid less than the one who wrote “630GB of raw processing power”; GB is a unit of storage space, servers do not need immense processing power, and the performance of a CPU, the brain of the computer, is measured in GHz (non-super computers, that is).

Also the managers similarly had no computer knowledge because they approved that headline; got rid of the practice of adding keywords to each product, making them all but invisible to the database and therefore to both salespeople and customers; promoted their fellow ex-jocks even though they were unqualified; and refused to do their jobs.

Zones management kept creating unnecessary vp and director positions while ignoring important duties like database management and training ignorant employees. I actually tried to initiate training sessions to resolve the lack of basic computer knowledge and to reinstitute keywords but was ignored and eventually got fired for trying correct a mistake that was costing the company thousands of dollars per month.

That this company breaks even is because they bought a profitable company and includes its revenue as part of Zones’ total income, not from adequate management and business practices.
Pros
Cons
Poor, incompetent management from top to bottom.
High expectations, but lacking personal development and training
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 22, 2018
I was put into the mix knowing that previous management was gone. It was a time of turmoil and a chance to really change things for the better. I was really looking forward to the challenge. My second week there it was announced my boss was being let go. Already, it was too busy for him to give me proper training. Upper management did attempt to help by sending others in, but overall the training on the computer systems and expectations was lacking. Finally after my third month in I was sent to Chicago for advanced training. Expectations were very high and we often worked Saturdays and hours over what was anticipated. The employees were mostly temps, many which didn't care. The systems this technological advanced company utilize are back in the 90s leading to too many human errors. It seems they really tried to correct, but in the end failed. I was let go after all my best attempts to succeed. Despite the warehouse being on an upward trend of success (better than their other warehouses) they decided that I wasn't seen as a leader. I don't blame it all on them, but not all the blame was to be placed on myself as well. Be wary here. You are expendable.
I mean the quarterly lunches were nice...
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJuly 30, 2018
But overall stay away from this company. Management love to point fingers instead of coming together to fix whatever issue that came about. The training was really on the go & whenever you had a unique question about how to do your job or a unique task they directed you to the hand booklet AS IF that equates to actually physically doing it.

So many unnecessary procedures & paper being wasted for data keeping purposes that could simply be fixed if they had RF scanners. Literally if one item was accidentally put into a location next to where it's supposed to be, you'll spend weeks looking for it and creating endless excel sheets trying to find the shortage. Whereas if you had a scanner, it will tell you where that item is exactly even if it's in the wrong location. It's like that company is scared to adapt to be more productive and less wasteful.

Only great thing about the place is that there are some lovely co-workers that make it worth coming in everyday. Not to mention the hour lunches & quarterly lunches. But this company has a boat load of issues. There's really no job security here. One week you're there and the next they're letting you go because they want someone that they can "plug & play" even though their training is horrendous.
Pros
Quarterly lunches
Cons
Bad Management, No job Security, Too many unnecessary procedures to do job
Mission Blurry
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAJuly 30, 2018
I love working at Zones but not sure of the Mission and direction. Every January is a reboot of mission or goal of the company. Budgets are chopped and people are fired every Q1 which makes people feel insecure.
Great entry level position.
Integration Technician (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 22, 2018
Great job if you’re trying to get into tech. You are the company “gopher”. Their is no set job just a bunch of temps waiting around on what to do weather it’s moving pallets in the warehouse or imaging PCs. Management is down right terrible. I was told to look busy most of the time. They over hire and the turn over rate is high. Again, management is terrible. Pretty sure they picked this guy out of a hat.
Great learning environment
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAJuly 11, 2018
Great team work
Multiple teaching meetings
Opportunity to grow business and profit
competitive work environment
Friendly work culture
Most enjoyable part of the day was the training sessions
overall average
Software architect and technical lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 3, 2018
Not much to write
just average
not much challenges
free good sometime
fun activities
average benefits
location is not very commutable from tech hubs
overall average
The Worst
Configuration Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  USAJune 26, 2018
Not a lot of good things to say. My fellow co-workers(grunts) are pretty cool peeps. Other than that it sucks. This company wants you to work yourself to the bone AND KEEP GOING!! No work life balance here, management doesn't even know the term. Our manager told us in a group huddle that he doesn't care if we have families, he doesn't care if we miss dinners and time with family. He said he doesn't want to hear it if we cant get our stuff done if we are not willing to put in the OT to get it done. Wow what a way to motivate. Oh yeah and this place will micro manage just about every aspect of your daily tasks.
Pros
they are not fake
Cons
they are not fake
Stay away from this company
Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAJune 18, 2018
I am not a former angry employee taking out my frustration in a review. I am simply warning anyone considering a job here to stay far away from this place. Their promises are empty, and they pay is disgraceful for this industry. The perks they do have are giveaways from vendors that want to keep their product on the Zones sales list. I will say that they have great trainers, and have on-going training, some mandatory and some optional. Once you hit the sales floor, it's every man for himself and watch your back.
I have nothing positive to say
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 30, 2018
This company does not value its employees.
Free food availble at trainings
high turnover

this company does have great partners to work with

there is a large break room
Pros
free food
Cons
management and compensation
High school??
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMay 18, 2018
Zones is really good about talking the talk on how they have a business full of professional leaders. But what they don't do is make sure management walks the walk. Upper management does not hold lower management accountable for their actions, nor do they make sure it is a safe place for members and support groups to share their ideas and opinions without being criticized or reprimanded . Hostile work environments even when reported to HR are overlooked and the team member who reports it is actually disciplined.

Own your Zone... Just don't express it unless it matches up with what management wants
Pros
Other team members Medical Dental paid time off
Cons
Too many cliques in management that lack maturity
Bad managment
Logistics Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILMay 9, 2018
Not a friendly place. Low pay. No employee appreciation. Management doesn't like to own up to their mistakes. Lots of finger pointing and sometimes mandatory Saturdays.
Pros
Quarterly lunches
Cons
Bad management
Replaces IT department every few years
Manager- Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 16, 2018
Constant turnover and replacement of IT staff, regardless of their experience or knowledge. Very hostile work environment and constant turnover, would not recommend this as a place of employment
Pros
Free parking
Cons
constant turnover and replacement of all IT staff
not the best place to work
Account Executive/Technology Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2018
i dont want to write this review but since you guys are forcing me and it wasnt the best experience here it goes. zones was trying to break into a tech market that they just couldnt break into. they made it worse by making their office only a public sector office. the sales floor was very cliquey, and very unprofessional.
Pros
place to chill at
Cons
bad business model

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zones, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.7Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight