Zones, Inc. Employee Reviews

terrible company
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 30, 2018
This place is disorganize. They lure you in thinking you will have a stable schedule but then later on they imposed there scheduling method by threatening your job security . You will have change your job schedule every three months. The schedule change is very drastic.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Unorganized
Nothing Positive to say at the moment
Marketing and Trade Show Director (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WANovember 13, 2018
I don't have anything positive to say, which is why I am exploring other opportunities. I am not going to bash the company that I still work for. There is a of of room for improvement for Zones.
Stressfull Workplace
Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) –  AuburnNovember 7, 2018
This company is not recommended due to the lies they tell and the fact they do not promote from within. If you have to work here use their customers to find a better job.
Pros
Casual Days
Cons
They do not invest in the employee's they have, managment is top heavy and takes credit where credit is not due.
Great coworkers and manager
Credit Representative (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WANovember 3, 2018
Manager was great at his job. Lots of free lunches were greatly appreciated. Manager was flexible and let us make our own schedule within the hours of 7 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday.
Pros
Coworkers / events
Great place to learn IT and Sales
PPM Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 31, 2018
The structure of the sales department and training is strong. The support staff are intelligent and willing to help. If leadership would allow the support staff more freedom to drive sales, the company would be in a better position for success.
Pros
Great training department, and customer events
Cons
Does not pay competitively
productive workplace
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2018
Major change is sales go-to-market strategy. Now a low morale workplace in Public Sector sales.Company needs another 6 months to settle out and re-staff Public Sector Sales.
Horrible place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 26, 2018
Not sure where to start. This company is extremely dysfunctional at all levels with backstabbing and throwing people under the bus being the norm. The company is trying to transform and they made some strides but keep getting pushed beyond their job scope. The Director and VPs run the place like tyrants and are as rude as can be. Employees are treated like garbage and yelled at for minimal issues. Why anyone would put up with this awful unprofessional treatment is beyond me. You will not learn anything here it is a place that you fight fires and don’t learn a thing. DO NOT WORK HERE you can do better. Read the reviews they are true and the positive ones are paid for by Zones HR which is a pathetic spineless department that you could never trust. Too many Directors and VPs who have nothing to do but create foolish reports to update the senior management team. Zones acquired a company in Pakistan so that they could save money and get rid of the company in India since clearly they were overpaid. Everyone in support roles has a Pakistan counterpart so basically most people are training their replacements. Many people knows this and are actively looking for other jobs as they know that job security is non existent. If you somehow decide to work at Zones watch out for your peers they will throw you under the bus to advance their careers. Bottom line this place is beyond saving I see it being sold or simply failing as it is a terrible place to work.
Cons
Not a good place to work
Cloud Solutions Software Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 26, 2018
Very underpaid - too many meetings - too much training
unrealistic sales quotas.

No rewards for loyalty, no severance pay,
no office supplies provided

This is only a sales organization. Poorly trained 1st and 2nd level managers.
Good collaboration within the departments
Enterprise Client Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 22, 2018
Zones has worked very hard over the past couple years to really encourage multiple departments to engage with each other, work with each other towards the same goal.

HR is focusing on work place culture to ensure Zones is up to par with like business.
Pros
Vendor fairs, flexible schedules
Cons
Costly healthcare benefits
Poor Executive Culture
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAOctober 12, 2018
Overall a decent place to work. My immediate Manager was great and shielded the team from a lot of non sense that happened at the executive level. The culture from the TOP down needs to improve dramatically, especially on the nfrastructure side (a service company recently acquired by Zones.)
Good place to obtain sales acumen
Senior Account Executive/Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 11, 2018
Zones provides quite a bit of training, as well as ongoing informational training for various products and manufacturers. There is opportunity to grow your paycheck and make a living wage.
Pros
vendor provided food periodically; nice office environment
Cons
Could be more customer service focused
it was very fun at first then it deteriated to not fun.
SENIOR CORPORATE ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2018
Working at Zones was extremely fun and I loved it when I started there in 2006. The company just started the Portland office and I was in the 3rd month pick.
It changed from a friendly workplace to a tirade of political advancement and sales pressure events as we grew.
It soon became not fun. I left after 12 years.
At the beginning there were great perks from the vendors, IBM, HP, Cisco, Dell, etc., etc., etc..
After about 6 years those were stopped by Zones. Not sure why. But it was depressing for the employees. We were no longer going on white water rapid rides, sky diving, glider plane trips, Cruises to Mexico, etc., etc..
I and many of my colleagues lost interest and left.
Run
AE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 25, 2018
It would take many pages and a full essay to cover the extent of asinine things I witnessed working for this company.

Unless you are a recent college grad getting experience under your belt, do not work here. It's an insulting company
Pros
Cons
The mangers looked like they were hired from a college campus
Learned a lot in this role and would recommend for real-life experience
Service Desk Analyst IBM Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 14, 2018
I worked on main-frame from NYS for IBM and learned how to use New York State mainframes to help New York State troopers and New York State Gaming officials and New York City Narcotics Detectives. If you're looking for a role that is very impactful and at the same time challenging this is a good position to start in.
Pros
Impactful, Overnight shifts to learn in, On the job work, Impactful
Great sales training program in an otherwise negative work environment.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 14, 2018
Not a lot that I can say in a positive light outside of its strong and rigorous sales training program. That is by far the biggest highlight of this company and the most beneficial to its employees. Outside of the skill sets they teach to their mostly entry level employees, the overall business structure and toxic micro management culture is evident in one of the worst employee retention rates I’ve ever seen.
Incompetences rules all
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 31, 2018
I was the only copywriter who knew anything about computers and yet I got paid less than the one who wrote “630GB of raw processing power”; GB is a unit of storage space, servers do not need immense processing power, and the performance of a CPU, the brain of the computer, is measured in GHz (non-super computers, that is).

Also the managers similarly had no computer knowledge because they approved that headline; got rid of the practice of adding keywords to each product, making them all but invisible to the database and therefore to both salespeople and customers; promoted their fellow ex-jocks even though they were unqualified; and refused to do their jobs.

Zones management kept creating unnecessary vp and director positions while ignoring important duties like database management and training ignorant employees. I actually tried to initiate training sessions to resolve the lack of basic computer knowledge and to reinstitute keywords but was ignored and eventually got fired for trying correct a mistake that was costing the company thousands of dollars per month.

That this company breaks even is because they bought a profitable company and includes its revenue as part of Zones’ total income, not from adequate management and business practices.
Pros
Cons
Poor, incompetent management from top to bottom.
High expectations, but lacking personal development and training
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 22, 2018
I was put into the mix knowing that previous management was gone. It was a time of turmoil and a chance to really change things for the better. I was really looking forward to the challenge. My second week there it was announced my boss was being let go. Already, it was too busy for him to give me proper training. Upper management did attempt to help by sending others in, but overall the training on the computer systems and expectations was lacking. Finally after my third month in I was sent to Chicago for advanced training. Expectations were very high and we often worked Saturdays and hours over what was anticipated. The employees were mostly temps, many which didn't care. The systems this technological advanced company utilize are back in the 90s leading to too many human errors. It seems they really tried to correct, but in the end failed. I was let go after all my best attempts to succeed. Despite the warehouse being on an upward trend of success (better than their other warehouses) they decided that I wasn't seen as a leader. I don't blame it all on them, but not all the blame was to be placed on myself as well. Be wary here. You are expendable.
I mean the quarterly lunches were nice...
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJuly 30, 2018
But overall stay away from this company. Management love to point fingers instead of coming together to fix whatever issue that came about. The training was really on the go & whenever you had a unique question about how to do your job or a unique task they directed you to the hand booklet AS IF that equates to actually physically doing it.

So many unnecessary procedures & paper being wasted for data keeping purposes that could simply be fixed if they had RF scanners. Literally if one item was accidentally put into a location next to where it's supposed to be, you'll spend weeks looking for it and creating endless excel sheets trying to find the shortage. Whereas if you had a scanner, it will tell you where that item is exactly even if it's in the wrong location. It's like that company is scared to adapt to be more productive and less wasteful.

Only great thing about the place is that there are some lovely co-workers that make it worth coming in everyday. Not to mention the hour lunches & quarterly lunches. But this company has a boat load of issues. There's really no job security here. One week you're there and the next they're letting you go because they want someone that they can "plug & play" even though their training is horrendous.
Pros
Quarterly lunches
Cons
Bad Management, No job Security, Too many unnecessary procedures to do job
Mission Blurry
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAJuly 30, 2018
I love working at Zones but not sure of the Mission and direction. Every January is a reboot of mission or goal of the company. Budgets are chopped and people are fired every Q1 which makes people feel insecure.
Great entry level position.
Integration Technician (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 22, 2018
Great job if you’re trying to get into tech. You are the company “gopher”. Their is no set job just a bunch of temps waiting around on what to do weather it’s moving pallets in the warehouse or imaging PCs. Management is down right terrible. I was told to look busy most of the time. They over hire and the turn over rate is high. Again, management is terrible. Pretty sure they picked this guy out of a hat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zones, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight