Zones

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Staff wasn’t warm or welcoming

I felt like an outsider from day 1 . Small company with little internal team cohesiveness. Their was a lot of overlap or lack of effective processes.

Always laying off people

I have had 3 role changes since I started here. Each time I had to interview. I was let go because my position was a thing anymore. HR would rather not give you a raise but let you go and pay someone else what I should be getting! They give jobs to PK all the time. They do mass lay offs for the US. Managers don’t care about you. They don’t help you improve of your skills or really anything. And when you go on Vacation there is no one to back you up so all you work will be there for when you get back. They are making everyone salary so they don’t pay you any overtime.

Pros

End of the quarter they cater since covid they are having our gift cards

Cons

Everything. Don’t work here. You will be over worked and under paid.

High-stress place with no career potential

During my work at the company I haven`t seen a single happy person who was happy to work there, except the people at the top. I guess this job is ok if you need a paycheck to get by until you find a better employment. There is no career growth potential within a company regardless of your job.The company does not even want to think about investing into their staff. Don`t expect professional growth as well. Benefits are below average.

Pros

Average pay. Some coworkers can teach you a trick or two if you want to learn.

Cons

No growth potential. Toxic company climate.

Was a great place to work...

In the beginning it was a great place to work. The owner seemed to care back then. Great place to learn about IT sales and emerging technology. Good vendor partnerships. Some co-workers were honest and trustworthy. Going back 5-10 years, I would have given Zones a higher review but over the past 3 years it has gone down hill and not a good place to work. The Company's acquisitions were a bust. GTM strategy was all fluff. "CYA" executive management team and one SVP that thinks he's god. Inadequate internal resources to support business needs. Ever changing compensation plan. VP/Directors and managers that are afraid to stick up for themselves let alone their team. All the good VP/directors/managers were smart enough to leave. Unrealistic goals. I could say more but it would be all negative. I would go back to work for Zones but only under certain circumstances but highly unlikely due to the list being too long.

Pros

Good training, ability to get certifications, vendor partnerships

Cons

Commission structure is not up to industry standards. Executive Management needs to go.

I was happier when I left

To sum it up, I was happier when I left. Overworked and underpaid. I felt no room to grow and no opportunities for advancement. I had a few cool coworkers, but that was about it.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

They really try

I enjoyed working at Zones. It wasn't an easy job, and it has it's own set of issues, but they're no worse than any other company's issues, and they really do try to treat you like a person instead of a headcount.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a train!

Upper level management is out of touch with reality. Goals are unattainable, and so is your income. It is a "do as I say", instead of, "do as I do" culture. So sad.

Unreasonable work expectations durring pandemic.

They lied about commissions, and after my position was phased out, I was forced into another position, then had my quota raised constantly, and given ultimatums until I quit.

Working from home is nice

Work had been rough with Covid-19 and lack of support across the board. Didn't seem to be struggling numbers, wise but we lost a lot of staff because of it.

Pros

Work flexibility

Cons

Lower and lower commission for doing more and more gross profit

Sweatshop Mentality

Zones is trying to break out of it warehouse origins but there are few managers who can think past a week or two. Downright dismal IT leadership will either be the end of Zones or many of its employees or both. COVID is the only thing keeping most people in their jobs. There are really good people who work there but few of them are in charge and there are a handful of key executives that are straight up evil. Racism is rampant. So is constant verbal abuse.

Pros

Work from home cabability is OK. If they fixed IT managment and set straegy, it could be a great compnay.

Cons

Abusive and disconected management. Poor pay. Long, unrewarded hours. No company strategy.

Fun and energetic place to work

The team and overall group including management was a pleasure to work for. People often helped when needed and offered assistance to meet deadlines.

Pros

Team work, hours, commuter

Good pay

Not very well run in upper management . The company is worried about the bottom line, if you are making the company money great if you’re not they will fire you ASAP

Zones is a great starter job in the IT industry

Zones is a great starter job in the IT industry. I would recommend it only for the new to the field employees and recent college graduates. They are a wonderful stepping stone to a better job with more competitive wages after putting a year or two. Once you have some base experience you will be better off working for a company that values you as an employee and can offer better benefits and more reasonable industry standard wages.

Bad culture

The leadership throughout this company is simply terrible. Bad culture starts at the top. Their values are poor and they have no concern for individual employees.

Peers

The company is lost. Senior leadership isn't prepared to move the company in a direction that makes sense for long-term growth. Change is a constant occurrence in staff which has a negative impact on moral.

Don't appreciate their employees, treat them like a disposable asset

Company is going under, all experienced sales personnel are leaving. Management doesn't understand the sales process, thinks any monkey can do your job.

What i've learned

I wish I could say good things about this "job". They build everything up during the hiring process, giving false promises and hopes. Once you're in and working it's a everyone for themselves mentally and it's pretty evident most people dont want to be there. Hopefully you get lucky and 'click' with the "manager" that gives you good business book or you dont. Hopefully you get lucky if you choose the sub par job.

Some pros and one con

You can't beat the salary, the easy commute, and the flexible schedule (for most). Honestly those three points are huge in my book after commuting to Seattle for many years while making significantly less for the same type of work. The only con I have is that some leadership individuals, not all of them, are not professional in any aspect. It can be very degrading and defeating when working with these people.

Large start up

Operates like a large start up company with lots of potential to grow. There are constantly changes happening and they are still trying to find their identity but moving in the right direction.

Very poor work environment, very poor leadership

Effectively a monarchy run by a flakey megalomaniac, Zones makes it very clear that you are expendable. You are there to serve the man on top. People who get promoted to Director level or above quickly begin to make decisions that they are unqualified to make, alienating the people who's advice they should have heeded. I would say that a benefit of this company is their location in Auburn, but even then they know they can use that against you, to push you as far as you can go until you bite the bullet and find a better company in Seattle. A previous Director recounted an experience where he was told to fire a tenured employee because her salary was too high, and hire someone cheaper. No teamwork, no collaboration, no culture, amoral C-level, company-wide apathy. If you need a job and don't have many other options, then this can be a tolerable place to work for a while. If Zones ever changed their strategy regarding their people, a good place to start would be encouraging collaboration, offer a day or two of remote work, and paid maternity/paternity leave.

Great work enviroment

Great work environment, excellent leadership, prime location for those not wanting to commute to Seattle or Tacoma. Fun events to help build relationships with coworkers. Definitely a great stepping stone in your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zones. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8

Ratings from women

2.4
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight