Zoo New England Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and fun workplace
Guest Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 4, 2018
A typical day at work would consist of being at a register all day long and serving to the customers needs. When it came to making sure the kids and adults felt comfortable and safe yet have fun on the rides, the Zoo employees surely did an excellent job on pursuing the rules and regulations.
Pros
discounts to entry and to the aquarium
Cons
had to wrk outside no matter what the weather was like, had to stand 95% of the time, and did not got discounts on meals
Great experience for someone interested in working with animals
Animal Care Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 7, 2017
Daily activities ranged from exhibit maintenance to diet preparation. Lectures on various aspects of animal husbandry were usually offered once or twice a week. The staff is absolutely incredible and the atmosphere is just right for the type of work you are doing. Keepers are willing to take the time out of their day to explain to you different reasons behind what they are doing. My independent project was definitely a highlight because I was able to design and conduct an ethogram on the giant anteater and work with keepers to develop means of reducing stereotypies.
Pros
Valuable experience with exotic animals, very educationally based program
Cons
Location is difficult to get to by public transportation
Review
Zoo Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 1, 2017
great place to work. supervisor was nice and very helpful for learning. generally a good place to intern if youre looking for animals care experience.
Very busy and never adull moment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 29, 2017
very busy atmosphere and very welcoming culture. You will have the chance to work with animals and people. They have lots of events and fields trips and community events you will be required to work and very interesting facts of working in a busy atmosphere
Great Atmosphere but little compensation
Admissions and Membership (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 30, 2017
Zoo New England was a fun place to work but they offer very little compensation. Most zoos pay considerably more. They have great animal care staff but most of the upper management and directors are awful (especially Human Resources Director, Jennifer Davis Cain; Marketing Manager, Brooke Wardrobe; and Vice President, Robert George). I really hope they make some big changes because if they do they could become a great zoo.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Compensation and upper management
great place to work. fun atmosphere.
Animal Care Intern (Former Employee) –  Stoneham, MANovember 5, 2015
everyone was kind. i learned a lot in just a short amount of time and it was an experience i will never forget. if i could do it again i would in a heartbeat!
Best Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2015
this was the best job ever far as the freedom i had and flexibility other then that the pay wasn't very good and it was by weekly
I love my job
Senior Zookeeper (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2015
Typical day consists of basic husbandry of a wide variety of taxa. Operant conditioning of multiple animals.
I learn different health issues with carious taxa of animals as well s anatomy.
I enjoy being so hands on from day to day and being outside working on my feet
Pros
hands-on experience with animals
Cons
Working in extreme weather and on weekends
Learned a lot
Animal Care Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2013
As an intern I was able to learn a lot from the people I worked with and Zoo New England is really good about continuing your education by providing classes. I would have to say that the department I worked with was not very friendly and often spoke poorly of other departments.
It was a great experience and i loved it.
Customer Service, Data Entry and Filing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 23, 2012
summer season very busy which i loved. winter season it wasn't as busy but it was still a fun place to work,
Cons
shortbreaks
Zne
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  DORCHESTER, MAMay 17, 2012
Franklin Park Zoo is a wonderful place to work if you love to interact with people. Also if you love nature and animals. I have nothing bad to say.