ZUME Pizza Employee Reviews

Cool place
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Typical workday was very easy however I disliked having to work overtime almost everyday. Managers were cool and very flexible with shifts and any needed time off as long as you told them 1-2 weeks ahead of time.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
had to work overtime quite often
Good, relaxed job overall with a few things in mind
Captain (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 6, 2018
Do keep in mind this is a new start up. There are a lot of things they still need to work on. As a new hire, you can be expected to be greeted very warmly, you will feel welcomed here. It's not a lot of work. Most days are pretty slow, It pays well for the things you do. You get raises based on your knowledge, the more you know the more you get paid.
Pros
Office workers gets catering for lunch, free drinks (Gatorade, water, sparkling water, etc). Relaxed work.
Cons
Breaks aren't consistent. Short staffed.
Poor Management
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 28, 2018
Long hours. Poor management leads to working long hours because they plan product launches poorly and causes others to pick up their mess. It's very cut throat here. Management is not transparent.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits
Cons
Long hours, poor management
Very lively and productive workplace, but the kitchen is particularly difficult to work in.
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 13, 2018
Zume overall is a great startup and was my first experience in a full supervisory role. I loved the concept of using robots to make pizza which is something I don't think anyones ever done before. It felt like I was on the cutting edge of technology and food sometimes making pizza at a rate of over 100 pies per hour during production.

A typical day in the Culinary department Zume is pretty straight forward. On a morning shift I'd lead Food preparation and/or help with dough preparation and for the evening shift I'd lead Pizza production, do any leftover prep, take inventory then clean and sanitize dishes, equipment and floors. The employees I got to work with were great and everyone always seemed to be having a good time.

Unfortunately though, there seems to be a bit of a rift in the management. I arrived right before a complete management change in the kitchen and in this transitional phase, there has been some confusion and frustration on my end.I've also noticed some tension between members of the management team itself which sometimes includes outbursts. That coupled with Robot and software malfunctions can make this kitchen stressful at times.

Outside of those things though, the management team was great and I'm happy to say that I've had the opportunity to meet and connect with these people. The work was relatively relaxed with the aide of robots and I can appreciate where this company is going. I've learned a lot in my short time as a supervisor at Zume including how to delegate tasks, keep morale up, inventory and how to write management reports and hope
  more... to be able to use my newly gained skills in another kitchen.  less
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, Company overall is great
Cons
Short breaks and inconsistently timed breaks, not the easiest to access if you rely on public transportation
Work Hard, Play Hard
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 3, 2018
Zume is my first startup experience and I have enjoyed being here since day one. The culture is very positive, inspiring and collaborative making it easy to give ideas and to learn a lot on the job. I am excited to see how Zume grows over the next year and would recommend working here to anyone looking to be part of an innovative company that is disrupting the food industry.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits, able to work remotely when needed, friendly office environment, always growing
Cons
Fast-paced company and product launches can create longer hours for certain departments
Ton of Potential
People Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 30, 2018
I've been with Zume for a few months now and it's been the most satisfying career experience i've ever had and continues to be. The company is growing so fast that theirs no shortage of things to learn and projects to take on. If you're driven to succeed they will help you get there. If you're a team player you will feel right at home here. If you're willing to speak up on whats going well and what can be better, they take it seriously.

Growth potential abound. Start from the bottom and demonstrate you want growth and you work hard and it pays off.
Pros
Collaborative team, smart people, free lunch, free pizza, learning
Cons
A lot of fast moving parts makes it long hours sometimes
Exciting workplace where each person has a big impact
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 29, 2018
There are few places that are as exciting as Zume is right now. The company is taking on huge problems and is way ahead of the curve in solving them. There is a big emphasis on upward mobility for everyone in the company, whether you start as a delivery driver or as an engineer or as a chef, the philosophy is that there is no limit to where you can rise to. Lots of mentoring and education resources to get there too.
Pros
All the pizza you could want, free lunches, full benefits, free drinks
Nothing this team - and you on it - can't accomplish
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 29, 2018
I was SHOCKED by the negative reviews. It may be that members of other departments have experiences that are totally alien to me, but in the Fleet specifically and Operations in general I have noticed a few patterns:

1) Your direct manager bends over backwards to make sure you have everything you need to complete your objectives, to plan your career and to grow in your role.
2) Your peers are optimistic, engaged, and always willing to get their ears bent if you need some advice (personal or professional).
3) Employees from other departments, especially the tech side of the business, are enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge and teaching you the basics of coding and engineering.
4) I have never been turned down for a 1on1 coaching session by anyone in the company, from C-Level on down.

I don't have a single friend I haven't cajoled to come work at Zume.
Pros
free lunch, fully subsidized healthcare (you pay $0), rad coworkers
Cons
The pace is not always comfortable, but in life in general, you aren't growing if you aren't pushing yourself.
Great Place to Grow
Operations (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 28, 2018
There is the right balance of challenge and support at Zume. I enjoy a high level of autonomy and feel that my contributions are impactful and valued. I particularly appreciate the frequent opportunity to work cross-functionally with other teams. I have grown so much in a short time and am excited to be a part of the foundational work at a rapidly growing company.
Cool Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  250 Polaris AveMarch 28, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Zume, and I think there business concept is really cool. The benefits were especially awesome for my family. I left because I moved out of the area.
Terrible environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 17, 2018
Lacks strong leadership and transparency. There is never clear communication on anything happening. No one knows what’s going on, and the business decisions are laughable.
Pros
Free lunch, Free pizza
Cons
Executive team is a joke
Proceed With Caution
Catering Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 30, 2017
Cut throat people always looking out for number 1. People will lie to you and on you to save their own tail. The executive disconnect with this company is ridiculous. They have no problem asking you to sell a lot of a product that is a couple years away from being what they say it is. Having said that, the vision is amazing, and once it works, it's going to be a HUGE success. But they need to pace their growth to fit their bandwidth.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Free Pizza
Cons
Toxic culture, burned out employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ZUME Pizza. Our community is ready to answer.

ZUME Pizza Reviews by Location