Zurich North America Employee Reviews

Employee and work
Underwriter Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHFebruary 3, 2019
My position was a Commercial Lines Assistant Underwriter. I worked with a great group of people. Several were from my previous employer, so the vibe was great. I left due to travel. I seem to travel more than I expected for the position.
Pros
Great group of people and traing was wonderful
Cons
Travel requirements
Assistant Vice President GL & Auto (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2019
Not only is this a great culture it was some of his times in my career. The management and culture is next to none. Has great leaders and a great staff to work with
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Absolutely none
Colorado Springs Call Center is the worst.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Colorado SpringsJanuary 25, 2019
I fully expected Zurich to be a top-level employer
I was hired in as a care center representative, taking Inquiry and first notice of loss calls. Training is inadequate, there is not enough coach or manager support, and the quality auditors are not consistent with their feedback. Management is poor- my manager simply disappeared for four months. His team was not advised as to an interim manager, the coach was left to run the team. The pay is exceptionally low for the level of perfection they expect you to have with each claim set up. While you are learning the job, you can expect to be put on written "action plans" to "manage" your performance. Yet, when you need assistance in setting up the claim, all you are told is to read the customer care agreement. You will come to work each day, and be told there is mandatory overtime the next day (makes it difficult to plan your life with such short notice) This is a classic "turn and burn" call center. You will watch your email, as managers send out constant notes as to who has left the company with a cheerful "we wish them well" at the end of the email. If the company paid fairly and held it's managers accountable for their poor performance, they would keep loyal employees. Left this non-negotiable $14 per hour job to go do the same thing up the road from them for $19 an hour, with affordable benefits. Apply here if you are desperate, keep looking for another job.
Pros
Schedules between 6 am and 6 pm
Cons
Poor management, short notice on OT, benefits are too expensive
Moral not so good
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 16, 2019
Stressful environment, supervisor involved in gossip regarding other managers and discussing information with their employees about other managers. Manager cutthroat other managers in other locations. Was very disappointing.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
No confidentiality between managers and employees
Great Company
Senior Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
I loved working for Zurich. I recently relocated or I'd still be working there. The flex work program allowed me to work from home two days per week. I had an excellent manager who always made me feel part of the team. I found my job as an Underwriting Assistant interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed learning something new every day. With the flex work program, I was able to leave my cubicle and go to the one of the many huddle rooms provided to do more concentrated work when I wanted to. The sit/stand desk and dual screen monitors provided helped were state of the art. Zurich was also concerned about employees health and there were challenges to do group walking during lunch hours. Room for advancement if that's what one wants to do.
Pros
Flex Work
great place to work
Trial attorney (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 8, 2019
Flexible and great place to work, good benefits and good people. Ability to work from home and they provide training and flexible schedules. Would recommend to anyone in the Las Vegas legal market.
Professional but enjoyable work environment
Mailroom supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 6, 2019
Started employment in a fast-paces mail room with heavy mail volume. Learned to audit medical bills according to Texas WC fee schedule. Received award for saving company over $600,000 in medicals expenses. Work environment was fast pace and sometimes stressful. Enjoyed working with fellow employees and management.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Fast paced culture
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJanuary 2, 2019
Zurich was a fast-paced company to work for. I enjoyed my 8 years there and the management was pleasant. Zurich had a restructuring of their Admin departments across the country and sadly my position was eliminated.
Pros
Great moral squad opportunities
Cons
Work environment changed due to restructuring
N/a
Commercial Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXDecember 6, 2018
In my previous role with Zurich North America, I owned my claim files, took customer calls related to their various policies, and made liability decisions. Communication, critical thinking and listening skills were crucial when dealing with the insured concerns.
subpar team managers
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2018
if you are looking for a place to get promoted or be valued atlanta zurich claims is not the place. zurich itself is fantastic but because the managers are of very low caliber in this particular office, you will have no other choice but to eventually leave. team managers don't train or promote or know how to lead/manage. everyone around them leaves or gets replaced but they have been allowed to remain and have ran this office into the ground for years. no one understands how this is possible. morale is very low. this is very unfortunate as overall zurich is great and people are sad to leave here but again, have no choice since they have no future at zurich under the current team managers that just won't go away.
Pros
zurich is great, benefits are awesome, great work life, bonus
Cons
team managers are unqualified and most need to be replaced

Want to know more about Zurich North America?

Ask a question
A decent place to work
Senor Property Underwriter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
The insurance industry is changing just like every other industry today. Zurich is making a lot of necessary changes to stay competitive. I work with some great people.
productive work environment
Risk Engineer/Account Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2018
Zurich is a good place to work with several segments to grow within. Risk engineering was where I worked and allowed me to work remotely and travel to accounts.
Would not recommend Zurich as an employer
Not Specified (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 8, 2018
Took the job with a specific focus on my career. None of the items discussed to get me in the door ever came to fruition. Management has no tolerance for ideas that do not come from the home office. If you have actual experience in insurance it will be ignored in favor of the next shiny object.

My focus was on providing the best support for my business partners and decisions were called out, not because they were not the right ones but because they came from a person lower on the ladder.

Then management would ignore accomplishments unless you were in the correct physical location in the company.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Everything else.
Stressful work but Good Management
Licensed Property and Casualty Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTNovember 7, 2018
Excellent work from home benefits, and very flexible with my law school schedule. Very few opportunities for advancement and lots of company layoffs recently
Pros
work from home
Cons
salary, turnover
Moving in the wrong direction
Internal Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
This company has lost sight of what made it great. It has slipped to a place where politics are king. It is all about perception and not about truly contributing. Very unfortunate.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Cons
Politics are everything
I did not want to leave was laid off
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
I did like to work in the company and my team was good. Coworkers were willing to help, however, the work was outsourced and jobs were eliminated in US
Pros
Cons
Healthcare
Overall good experience - I was only there for 1-2yrs
Portfolio Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 3, 2018
I worked in an area that was kind of a one-off of Zurich Financial so I don't know that my experience is common for the overall company. In general it was fun and paid good enough.
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Fairly strict and commission structure could have been better
Workplace
Liability Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 25, 2018
Zurich has undergone so many changes and downsizing to remain financially viable to their investors. They have outsourced payments, claim set up and more to companies over seas, who barely speak English.
The Managers are constantly stressed out, and not helpful. They'll be the first to leave after 8 hours. Many are clique-ish and immature.
In my time there, I saw dozens of co-workers leave, after being treated unfairly. All the offices have a rotating door of workers.
Benefits
Cons
Minimal Salary, thousands under other insurers.
Great company for which to work
Senior Power Generation Risk Consultant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 22, 2018
Zurich has been doing business in the U.S. for over 100 years. Everyone you meet seems very motivated and competent. At training events, friendly co-workers are wall to wall. Higher-level management seems to change often. Implementation of initiatives can take more than a decade. Your job description will be the most enjoyable part of the job. It'll be a challenging, rewarding learning experience. A difficult aspect is keeping up with the changes of direction. The success of a team may depend on the manager, but the most ambitious individuals have an excellent chance of success.
Pros
Fun, emphasis on values
Cons
Top heavy, ambiguity
A good place to work and advance
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21211October 18, 2018
I enjoyed working for Zurich North America. They allowed me the opportunity to work remotely for a period of time. I was involved with work on re-engineering teams and enjoyed that very much.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zurich North America. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Zurich North America.

Powered by Comparably