Zurich North America Employee Reviews

Would not recommend Zurich as an employer
Not Specified (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 8, 2018
Took the job with a specific focus on my career. None of the items discussed to get me in the door ever came to fruition. Management has no tolerance for ideas that do not come from the home office. If you have actual experience in insurance it will be ignored in favor of the next shiny object.

My focus was on providing the best support for my business partners and decisions were called out, not because they were not the right ones but because they came from a person lower on the ladder.

Then management would ignore accomplishments unless you were in the correct physical location in the company.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Everything else.
Stressful work but Good Management
Licensed Property and Casualty Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTNovember 7, 2018
Excellent work from home benefits, and very flexible with my law school schedule. Very few opportunities for advancement and lots of company layoffs recently
Pros
work from home
Cons
salary, turnover
Moving in the wrong direction
Internal Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
This company has lost sight of what made it great. It has slipped to a place where politics are king. It is all about perception and not about truly contributing. Very unfortunate.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Cons
Politics are everything
I did not want to leave was laid off
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
I did like to work in the company and my team was good. Coworkers were willing to help, however, the work was outsourced and jobs were eliminated in US
Pros
Cons
Healthcare
Overall good experience - I was only there for 1-2yrs
Portfolio Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 3, 2018
I worked in an area that was kind of a one-off of Zurich Financial so I don't know that my experience is common for the overall company. In general it was fun and paid good enough.
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Fairly strict and commission structure could have been better
Workplace
Liability Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 25, 2018
Zurich has undergone so many changes and downsizing to remain financially viable to their investors. They have outsourced payments, claim set up and more to companies over seas, who barely speak English.
The Managers are constantly stressed out, and not helpful. They'll be the first to leave after 8 hours. Many are clique-ish and immature.
In my time there, I saw dozens of co-workers leave, after being treated unfairly. All the offices have a rotating door of workers.
Benefits
Cons
Minimal Salary, thousands under other insurers.
Great company for which to work
Senior Power Generation Risk Consultant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 22, 2018
Zurich has been doing business in the U.S. for over 100 years. Everyone you meet seems very motivated and competent. At training events, friendly co-workers are wall to wall. Higher-level management seems to change often. Implementation of initiatives can take more than a decade. Your job description will be the most enjoyable part of the job. It'll be a challenging, rewarding learning experience. A difficult aspect is keeping up with the changes of direction. The success of a team may depend on the manager, but the most ambitious individuals have an excellent chance of success.
Pros
Fun, emphasis on values
Cons
Top heavy, ambiguity
A good place to work and advance
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21211October 18, 2018
I enjoyed working for Zurich North America. They allowed me the opportunity to work remotely for a period of time. I was involved with work on re-engineering teams and enjoyed that very much.
Employed During Restructuring
Claims Intern - Mass Litigation Division (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 9, 2018
Being employed by a company while they're restructuring is difficult. It's been a few years since I was there, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe they've gotten better.
Zurich was a productive, challenging, flexible and friendly place or employment.
Administrative Assistant III/General Office (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 4, 2018
I always enjoyed going into work. My co-workers (including management) were all friendly and extremely approachable. There was always something challenging that would come up in the workday that would add just a bit change to make it interesting. Management was always very flexible regarding your start time and end time for the work day.
My Opinion
Senior Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 2, 2018
Typical Day at work - Paying claims, answering phones, balancing credit card statements, helping others, team work.

What I learned - I rather enjoyed my actual job at Zurich. I learned that I am an outside the box thinker. I loved what I did and the challenge it presented me each and every day. When I hired on I really thought it would be my last job.

Management: - in the beginning all was great. But , after a rather chaotic restructure of management, the last few months were nothing but manditory over time so we could "catch up", reduction in work force causing us "to get bhind", a new management staff that had no clue what we did and had no clue how to integrate it to their required style, but repremanded staff that it was all wrong. Staff that was not properly trained. Management still required a 10 person crew to maintain the same level of customer service and stats that a 20 person crew provided.

Work Place Culture - The opportunities for advancement are phonomenal (if that is your thing) - however, if one likes their "clerical XYZ" position, they don't really support that person being the best XYZ clerk ever. They are constantly pushing employees to seek training in other parts of the company so one can become "promotable".

Hardest part of the job - towards the end it was the mandatory over time, dealing with persons who didn't carry their weight and the new management turning a blind eye.

Most enjoyable part of the job - everything - challenges, most co-workers, being a support system for others, training others, the paid time off, the 401k match,
  more... the benefits. Despite it all, this, over all is a great company to work for.  less
Pros
Benefits, Pto, training, promotability
Cons
Working short staffed to maintain "full staff" stats
Productive Workplace
Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXOctober 1, 2018
Sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. Nice environment to work in. Great community involvement. Many perks that are beneficial to my family. Excellent pay.
A day at Zurich
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 1, 2018
I worked remotely from home and traveled 3 to 4 days of the week within my given territory the other days were spent on the desk scheduling, handling reports and expenses etc. Mornings started out reviewing emails, updating and rating any accounts needing assistance or immediate attention, sending reports to agency meetings for the day or following day depending on schedule, reviewing monthly upcoming renewals and handling phone calls with agency and other underwriters to coordinate account production etc.
Pros
independent schedule, remote work, travel
Cons
Long hours and days, no set schedule
Good company to work for.
Operational Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 29, 2018
Performed Administrative Assistant work for Zurich paying bills for the insurance adjusters. The company had good pay and decent opportunities for advancement with a decent salary.
Pros
Hours and pay
Cons
short breaks/lunch time
You will be outsourced if you work in IT
Security Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 25, 2018
If you are in IT and don't suck up, your position will be outsourced while others get a promotion. My advise is to stay away from this company. Higher up management is horrible. Your main manager will depend. Bonuses are ok. You have no work life balance.
insurance rater/data entry
Rating Technician and Coder (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 24, 2018
I was always busy at work, I learned a lot about insurance, management was agreeable, workplace culture was good. Employees worked as teams. The management had parties and contests to help boost morale to relieve stress. There was unlimited overtime. It was overall enjoyable.
Pros
The overtime pay was good. The company lunches were good for stress reliefe.
Cons
It was stressful
Claims Processor
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHSeptember 24, 2018
Reviewed claims and submitted for payment. Made sure everything was included correctly on each claims. ICD code and procedure codes were corrected identified.
Needs Improvement
Workers' Compensation Claims Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 21, 2018
Job training was the best this company can and will promote you if your attendance is good. High turn over here because of the pay other than that is great place to work rewards employees often.
Pros
Advancement
Great Place to work
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 21, 2018
I love working for Zurich North America. Most of the people are of the highest quality, and they provide adequate flexibility in work schedule. Compensation is good, with opportunities to earn much more through increased production.
Pros
Good comp, flexible working arrangements, and significant autonomy
Overworked and underpaid
Commercial Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2018
Zurich overworks their employees to the point that the job is not manageable. They make it so that it unrealistic to achieve any type of goals that they set which creates a very discouraging and negative work environment.
Pros
location
Cons
work load and pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zurich North America. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Zurich North America.

Powered by Comparably