Indeed Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companies ignoring job applicants

I've been applying for numerous job openings to keep up with monthly bills, and I'm getting no traction. I've been very carefully customizing my cover letters based on job descriptions, yet too many places won't even offer an interview. In one recent instance, I was asked for an interview after being asked to apply directly thru Indeed, only to be cancelled for another applicant at the last second! 😡

I think too many companies use outlets like Indeed as an excuse to treat applicants like crap. I'm putting all this energy into finding a job to support my family, and these businesses keep finding annoying ways to ignore me. This has got to stop!

Highlighted

I've been applying for numerous job openings to keep up with monthly bills, and I'm getting no traction. I've been very carefully customizing my cover letters based on job descriptions, yet too many places won't even offer an interview. In one recent instance, I was asked for an interview after being asked to apply directly thru Indeed, only to be cancelled for another applicant at the last second! 😡

I think too many companies use outlets like Indeed as an excuse to treat applicants like crap. I'm putting all this energy into finding a job to support my family, and these businesses keep finding annoying ways to ignore me. This has got to stop!

Aug 8, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Aug 8, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

I had a few email/phone interviews.  Few of them got to online meetings. Few times I got I will bring this back to the team or you may fit another job. I send a follow up and never hear back. Don't lie directly to my face.

I understand not getting back to everyone who applies.  If I do an interview weather in person, phone, online, ect I deserve a response.  It cost me money to interview, making copies, nice clothes, gas, ect.  

3 weeks ago Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Same here. I continue to receive emails from employers saying they've moved to the next step of the process and that they won't be moving forward with my application, all without ever having looked at my resume. I've applied for nearly 200 jobs over the last 18 months and I've had 2 telephone interviews and nothing else. 

Aug 10, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

not only you. I applied for so many jobs these last 8 months. A few gave me an interview but later on said they would move forward with a more qualified candidate. i did a video interview last month, i havent even heard from them. Its like they do not want to give anybody the job. Some even after calling me and chatting about my qualifications, would go to say they moved on with another candidate. it is frustrating

Aug 10, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I’ve gone as far as going to FL from IN after they told me they loved my qualifications and likely were going to hire. Said the same thing after I spent a day there in the clinic. I’m a nurse practitioner so it’s not like some meaningless job, not that any job is, but hopefully you get what I’m saying. I literally stopped everything! Booked my flight and left the same day. Ya know that’s not cheap!! 

Aug 14, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

I feel for you.. I am in a situation I really need a job but, call me old fashion... "I give all my info to "INDEED" no one in my mind...You cant ask them questions because, they only exist on-line...For yourself and to others to go such extremes!!!!!!! "IT'S NOT ONLY UNFAIR...ITS WRONG AND PATHETIC....!!!

Aug 17, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

It's honestly really frustrating. I've applied to so many jobs over the past several months and I have only heard back from maybe 5 of them. I had one of them even email me telling me they wouldn't be moving forward with my application and then two days later ask me when is a good time to interview.. I even just the other day went to a group meeting for one company and they took "attendance" and I never received a follow up email and then received a second email inviting me to another group meeting which was the same thing as the first one.. They just don't seem to be very reliable in their hiring process. If they have too many applicants then they need to hire more people for their recruiting offices.

Aug 12, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

It's not just you but I will say that many companies will go with the more qualified candidates even tho you were just told you were "hired" or are "moving to the next step". Keeping your interest in the job is your best bet call about your application and interview status. Show that your willing to be the more qualified candidate. I know, I know "I do this already" that just means the job isn't looking for you and that's honestly fine. I understand that with everything going on right now there is no reason to hire me, I need my bills paid to but follow through even if it means being annoying. I followed through and got the job. Put your best foot forward even if you think they won't give it to you for experience reasons. 

Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

A lot of these companies are putting up ads when they already have an internal hire in mind too. And there are too many different HR opinions on what makes a good application. Cover letters are hit or miss, resume preferences can be super neurotic, and we get zero feedback once an application is sent.

I'm in the same boat as you. A solid 100 applications in the past month, only got one interview. Something is wrong with hiring, across the country.

Highlighted
Highlighted

I can attest to this. 

Most companies post job openings just to meet the legal requirement to provide equal opportunities and access to everyone, but they have already decided on who to hire.  It's a total waste of time for applicants and even more waste of time for people who were invited to an interview.    

Aug 14, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

I agree. The Federal Government for example, they will post a job to make it look "legit" when they already have someone internally in mind. They just need to go through the application and interview process to make it "fair for everyone" which isn't fair for the public when they didn't have a chance. 

Also, look at how things are worded in the job description - if it says "new grads only" don't even bother applying.  They are looking for someone with less experience for low pay. 

a month ago Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Fill out forms/applications.  Then upload resume.  All on indeed.  Only to be rerouted to a companies website to do it again.  If you are lucky you get a generic auto reply email.  Companies say the excuse is we got to many people applying.  Indeed is quick o boast to companies they get you hires.  Not quick to all that are rejected.   In fairness the job posters are paying the money to indeed.  Also people at indeed have jobs so why do they care about the rest of us.  If we had jobs there would be no need for indeed!  

Aug 13, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

for two years I put in hundreds and no one within 30 miles called me but one which was the local walmart.i too got a job offer abd at tge last second they didn't need that many people.they even sent me a message they would not be  offering me a position at thus time.they had to go wuth more qualified candidates.people or candidates monitor the application and pick out tge most qualified or most experienced in that certain type if work.i had to go 45 minutes away and gad that prob a littke especially about calling back and stuff but I added years to my experience. I dont have a resume.i use the one off of here and thats not been updated for a few months but I got more offers or interview requests this year than ever before.depends on your cover letter and how badly they need people and u know what companies wanna hear.make your own without a professional unless for a professional type job.

Aug 13, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Yes I agree. I had one company I applied to on Indeed actually contact me for a phone interview. The recruiter fail to call me as schedule and after I attempted to make contact I never heard anything. These companies treat candidates like crap. If that was the other way around it would be unacceptable. Respect is a two street but companies can get away with it because they know people need jobs.

Aug 17, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted
Highlighted

I have Head Hunters reaching out only to not follow through.  I actually asked one why?  What's going on in the industry and he replied that Companies reach out to them to find people then all of a sudden tell them to stop because they don't have the income to pay at this time.

This is wrong no matter how you look at it and something must be done.

Aug 19, 2020 Solution by original poster
Highlighted

Thanks everyone for all the posts. I understand your frustration with feedback and follow up.(Resume Blackhole, poor recruiter follow up) These are things Indeed has been trying to find solutions for. The jobs posted by employers(free to post) are regulated by Indeed but the hiring decision is not ours. Every company and recruiter works differently. Some are very professional and some are not, unfortunately. Indeed looks out for the jobseeker first and our products are built on this train of thought. (Most jobseekers don't see all the products Indeed offers) 

We are in a very tough economy right now but things are getting better. I see it first hand everyday!! I personally wish I can find everyone a job. So please hang in there and best of luck on your search. 

This information is provided as a courtesy for informational purposes only. We are not career or legal advisors and do not guarantee job interviews or offers.
Highlighted

For about a week now i have applied to 21+ employers and have only gotten one phone call interview. This is frustrating because I wasn't able to work for threee years due to family health issues and I'm fairly young too but no one wants to even hire me, despite my resume being very professional within itself and the employers glance over my resume for a mere 10 seconds!

Highlighted

The HUMAN in HUMAN resources is gone!

Just once I like to fill out an application and or send a company my resume. Then get an interview After the interview know if I got the job or not. Just once I like a place to list the salary in the job ad, that would cut down on wasting time. Not a range, not TBD, not depends on credentials, but the actually salary and benefits

No log into a job site, then the companies site etc No fill out application and send resume. No at the end of interview hear, we got others to interview we will let you know. No come in next week for another interview.

If I drive more then 30 minutes to an interview be professional and interview me for more then 5 minutes. People talk about potential employees being professional. When will potential employers be professional? You pay money for nice clothes, resume copies, transcripts, parking, college, gas, and etc Bad Human Resources equal bad Public Relations.

There are so many loop holes in Obamacare that most places get around offering health insurance and benefits.

Potential Employees told to be professional, so why are Potential Employers NOT professional?
Sick of the 'CLASSIC' line interviewers hate to hear, we will let you know . . . BLAH . . . BLAH . . . BLAH . . . If you follow up they think you are a psychopath and call the police.

Computers where suppose to make life easier, all computers did was make it more difficult. Why do we have job programs for ex-cons? We have unemployed people who do/did follow the law. People who follow the law should get jobs before ex cons!

Instead of asking how I would respond to certain situations, hire me and I can show you. I hate the working for free interview. Just hire me.

We will let you know but then you hear nothing. Don't say you are going to let me know if you are not.

I been to interviews were I was dressed more professional/businesses then

Highlighted
Highlighted

I had an interview they ask what I made at my last job. I told them.  They said we can only pay X.  They called later that day and said we can't offer X we can only offer y.  I said I am sorry but with travel, gas, ect I would lose money.

Anther place the people interviewing said we got XXX years in the field. So I thought they would understand about low pay.  They offered me pay that I would be losing money.

I know people say take a job, but if I am losing money I am not taking the job.  Also, It takes time from finding better jobs.  Who wants my resume?  

Highlighted

Hi @TGPII -

I feel your frustration. Pay would need to be in the $30+ range in order for me to commute to work. That would be a loss for me especially with the wear and tear of my vehicle, waking up early, traffic, gas...   That's a huge NO.

Don't take a job if it isn't worth it especially expenses to get to and from work. 

Keep at it, something will land on your lap.

Highlighted

I get that everytime, I'm trying to provide for my family and I see "Urgently Hiring". I have the qualifications for said job. Then Boom, "We've moved on" uhhh you mind taking down the post then that you've "Moved on"