Has your job or job search been impacted by COVID-19? Let’s talk about it here.

With many cities declaring a state of emergency and canceling or postponing large events, many people’s jobs or job searches have been affected. Let’s come together to share resources and learnings. What are you doing differently during this time to find work or make a career change? Your ideas may help another job seeker.

Indeed has put together a few resources that may be helpful during this time: Check them out here: https://go.indeed.com/E7DCAE

42 2 weeks ago
42 Replies
Highlighted

Although most companies have understandably slowed and even halted hiring, there are some that need additional employees to help respond to this crisis. A lot of these jobs are in the healthcare and public health fields but there are others in different industries like communication professionals, social workers, and technicians. I would keep a close eye on Indeed for these of positions.

Highlighted

One of the things I look at in a time like this is how people hold their composure. Staying calm and trying to conduct your life as normally as possible speaks volumes for your character. This can be carried on to the workforce as well. Presenting a calm front and being able to delegate can show your employers that you have what it takes to elevate your responsibilities. This also helps with the morale of your coworkers. panic only adds more panic. If you're able to land an interview I believe the best policy to handle the real-time news is to only address it if you're asked for thoughts about it. Even this can be tricky because there's so much fear around the situation. Tread lightly and be very political with your responses as not to upset or stir the pot any more than it is.

Highlighted

If you have the bandwidth, volunteer to take on additional tasks or assignments. With many employees losing their jobs, this will demonstrate your ability to see the big picture and handle more responsibility, while positioning yourself for a raise or promotion during your next review. Also, reduce your consumption of negative news to alleviate fear and anxiety. 

Highlighted

Thank you @SamAtIndeed for starting this thread, which will support many that are currently or may be affected by the virus with regard to their job status.  I believe that both @tyroneh_spc and @WKiser provide great insight to the situation in the market today.  We need to remember that this is a temporary situation and it will pass, and yes the landscape will have changed and there will be new markets developed as a result of this event - I suspect we will see greater hiring in the healthcare sector, medical research, and all areas of health as well as in the area of State response and readiness sectors. Then there is the shift in colleges as well as many companies that are shifting to digital for on-line classes and business, which means we will see an upturn in these tech areas as many will continue well past the virus event.  So what can you do to prepare to meet these demands or if you were affect by a layoff - then as @WKiser says volunteer to start gaining the job skills (it will also help keep your resume filled with work experience and skills), I would also recommend going to O*Net OnLine, research what will be needed in the area of education and skills so you can use this time effectively.  Above all, know that we are seeing an event that will create new opportunities and maintaining a positive outlook will help to weather the storm. 

Highlighted

If you're looking to make a career change, this is a great time to review and revamp your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile. Also, stay connected and relevant by actively participating in internal and external group discussions. There are many great discussion threads here on Indeed, LinkedIn, Twitter, and other industry related websites. 

Highlighted

There is, without a doubt, a shift happening on a global scale in the areas of employment, organizational focus and shut downs.  And at the same time, there are organizations that are in a hiring phase to meet the changing demands of this time.  For example, I just read an article in a business journal today talking about how Amazon needs to hire thousands of workers, planning to pay them $2.00 more an hour, to deal with the backlog and overwhelming number of orders.  Same journal, spoke about the many that are becoming astute to the needs as a result of the virus crisis and have started small at home business that cater to running errands for the elderly so they don't have to leave their homes.   

We are facing a new and rapidly changing landscape during this trial, and good and new is coming out of it. Stay awake and open to the possibilities Good luck!

Highlighted

COVID-19 has been extremely crazy but also one of the busiest times for me in my career. As a Career Strategist & Trainer, I host virtual sessions and they have received more attention now than ever before. It's important for us to shift with the times. 

If your company is going completely remote, then remember to think of creative ways that you can be connected to your team so that you may be able to make this option permanent moving forward. Promoting team culture in addition to high productivity would set you up for success while working remotely.

Another suggestion is to assess yourself! Take this time to discover more of who you are professionally. Self Discovery is important during this time. As much as we know that our lives are temporary, times like this show up and make us understand how precious and valuable our time is and even more so how we must put our best foot forward to have a career that is satisfying versus solely a job that only pays the bills.

Just my two cents!

Monique

a week ago Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted

We are definitely living in an interesting time. There is opportunity to be creative and perhaps start on a project you have been thinking about doing prior to recent events. Fortunately, we have technology which creates new possibilities than ever before. If suitable, consider career paths that will help those in need during such times. For example, the coaching industry is in high demand or Amazon is another example - in high demand. As @TheMoniqueDavis mentioned, it would be good to assess yourself. Consider taking a few personality and career assessments. This might present you with new ideas and opportunities that will teach new skills and help you to expand your current skill set. We can use this time as a gift to propel ourselves forward. Wishing you all the best! ~Leticia 

a week ago Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Make good use of your time by taking some classes. You’ll find many free online training classes and webinars. Also, consider current market needs and seek out opportunities in those industries. ~ Coach WKiser

a week ago Solution
Highlighted

Yes my job searching has been affected by this virus. I need a job and its hard to find one already. With this virus its gotten worst. People are buying up food and toliet paper. And with jobs slowly cutting hours we need the money to try and pay bills and get food and make sure we have food for our animals. The money is needed.

a week ago Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

I got a loan for a house before this pandemic happened.  Now I'm struggling to find a job that pays good enough let alone a job that will hire rn because of everything going on... I live in saint cloud and yet never had a hard enough time finding work..

a week ago Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Wow. The impact of this virus is very far reaching. I hope you all see that you're not alone at this time. 

@Amrendra, @Subh_2811, @Negulan, @GabeS, @Lizz7, @KarieAnn_

Some things you can do:

- File for unemployment. States are changing their process due to the increased demand from COVID-19. You can see more and some of the FAQ's from the Department of Labor: https://www.careeronestop.org/WorkerReEmployment/UnemploymentBenefits/how-do-i-apply.aspx

- If you are worried about paying your rent, visit the Department of Human Services in your city or town - they should have resources. Look for housing advocates in your community. There has been discussion about making evictions illegal during this time of pandemic. 

- If you are worried about paying your mortgage, look up your bank's resources and policies during coronavirus or covid-19. Also during times of crisis many local legal aid centers provide clinics help homeowners prevent foreclosure - so research those.

- Get connected to your local food bank - if you aren't familiar with one, look up your local school district's food resources during coronavirus.

Know you are not alone during these times. 

Please share what's been helpful for you so that others can get help too.

Be well,

Jennifer

Job Search Guide 

a week ago Solution
Highlighted

Hey folks! Well wishes to all. If you're look for work, stores need lots of help keeping us all supplied. Walmart is hiring.  Here's a link to an article I just read. 

Walmart to pay employee bonuses of up to $300 and hire 150,000 workers - Business Insider
https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-to-pay-employee-bonuses-and-hire-150000-workers-2020-3

a week ago Solution
Highlighted

@mrpete213 thanks for sharing. Take a look at @Adsoc7 's post regarding what company is hiring right now. Be persistent and follow up with the companies on various social media platforms. Make sure to create a cover letter speaking on your attributes and give examples of how this position would go perfectly with your current locaton, life, etc..

a week ago Solution
Highlighted

You beat me to the post @Adsoc7 regarding Walmart (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8134801/Walmart-hire-150-000-workers-laid-restaurants-coronavirus-pandemic.html) also, looks like Amazon is looking to hire an additional 100,000 workers.  

Be sure to continue doing a job position search on Indeed.com - they are adding and updating all the time.  Here's to your success.

a week ago Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

@SKKhadija-030, I would focus your search for online design and marketing jobs at businesses who are actively hiring right now like crisis management companies. Have you looked at remote freelance opportunities? If you’re not currently working, these could be helpful to put on your resume as current relevant experience.

a week ago Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Hi @Heidianna,

Check on Indeed.com for positions available at Walmart and Amazon.  Both organizations have been in the journals as needed to quickly hire.  Also, check your local stores - ecart shoppers are in demand.  Keep in mind, this is temporary, and now would also be a good time to brush up on other skills through on-line training courses.  Keep positive thoughts. 

a week ago Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted

Hey @Mommacass19

You'll have to do a little internet research leg work to find authentic remote job offerings, but there are a number of interesting things you can do--data entry, voice over, translating, transcribing, art-based things like logo design, creating book covers, or illustration, writing, programming. It just depends on your skillset and your needs. You may have to juggle a couple to reach your goals or needs.  

There are some great threads/articles on here about how to find remote work. I know some of them have been updated very recently, so you'll find some relevant information intended to help in this time. 

Sending you all the best wishes!

Monday Solution
Highlighted
Highlighted

Agility and resourcefulness come to mind when I reflect on where we are in this phase of Covid19 isolation and recovery. This is a time certain event that will eventually end. In the meantime, what can you do activate or reactivate your personal and professional networking pipeline?

This one activity can be as vital to a satisfying and successful job search as your resume and social profile. True, traditional in-person networking avenues are not an option while we’re self-isolating. But that doesn’t mean you’re spinning your wheels until we find ourselves on the other side of this. Right?!

In preparation for your outreach - be it email, phone call, professional networking platforms, consider your end goal. Your ask. Do you want to update folks about your current status, find out about current job openings, request they keep you on their radar if they hear of a suitable opening that maps to your background and interests? Realize many jobs are never even posted publicly, so if you’re strictly relying on online postings, you’re missing out on a high percentage of opportunities. My philosophy – if you don’t ask, you don’t get in life. Don’t be afraid or feel you’re imposing. People really are receptive to helping if you’re authentic and enthusiastic.

Also consider those members of your existing network who might facilitate an internal introduction for a role they know is current or forthcoming. They might even introduce you to a hiring manager for an informational interview.

Don’t be afraid to dust off older contacts and update them on your circumstances and ask about theirs. You needn’t ask people to do something for you. Sometimes it’s enough to be honest and let them know you just wanted to reach out and reconnect. People get it.

Lastly, adopt the mindset that it’s all about relationships. Building and nurturing. People know now more than ever, we’re all trying to figure this out and a believe a new level of compassion and humility will serve those who are putting themselves out there.

Stay curious and active on social media now. There is a lot of activity from others, be they job seekers or those craving interactions while we wait.

What’s working for you in your networking approach now. I’d love to hear.

Stay well, resilient, hopeful and keep moving!

Coach CarrieOn

Tuesday Solution
Highlighted
  • In addition to Walmart and Amazon, I came across an article today that said Blue Apron, CVS, Dollar General, Domino’s, and Papa John’s are actively hiring during COVID-19. I would do a search on Indeed for some of the positions they’re hiring for like drivers, warehouse employees and customer service representatives.
Tuesday Solution
Highlighted

Most of us are staying tuned to all the updates regarding the virus and the stimulus package that was approved.  There is so much to absorb and sort through.  Following is a 'blip' from NPR providing some tips about what to do if your employment has been affected. The economic slowdown from the coronavirus has led to record numbers of people filing for unemployment — 3.28 million people last week.  If you’ve lost a job, gig work, or are struggling financially right now, here are a few things you can do: 

-File for unemployment. This might sound obvious, but the coronavirus relief package that the Senate passed recently is expanding unemployment benefits— extending the length of time people will receive full pay as well as raising the weekly maximum benefit. More good news: contractors, gig economy workers, freelancers, etc. will be made eligible for unemployment. There is also guidance that states should allow flexibility around unemployment for workers who have been furloughed, are under quarantine or have left work for fear of infection. Not sure? Apply! And keep trying if you can’t get through

~Patricia, Career coach

Friday Solution
Highlighted

The day I was laid off I already had an interview set up for another job. The very next day I applied for a entry level position for a company within my industry and received 2 call backs immediately and had an interview set up for the next week.

The trick in my opinion is to always job search even when you have a job because you never know when you might need another job or even a better job. 

During this time when folks are finding themselves out of work. I have had success by searching which companies and industries that are still operating and then apply to those companies and within those industries. You may have to start with an entry level position but at least you'll have a job. During the interview you can even sell your skills to be considered for a higher position once one becomes available. 

Good luck to all and stay positive. 

Highlighted

@Shana101, you’re absolutely right that staying proactive is the key to success in times like these. One of the ways you can be proactive right now is to engage your existing network and build new connections. Your professional connections are essential to your job search — it’s estimated that 85% of jobs are filled via networking. What you don’t want is to develop a reputation for only reaching out to people when you need something (like a job). A networking relationship is just that, a relationship. It requires bringing value to the table, not just taking it. So how can you engage? Sending check-in emails, posting status updates on LinkedIn, and commenting on others’ posts are some ways to get started.

You brought up another great point @Shana101 about targeting places that are actively hiring right now. Healthcare, crisis management, and public relations firms might be good places to start. Large retailers like Walmart and Amazon are also looking for folks.

yesterday Solution